PDA

View Full Version : Bigger NBA Draft Error: Taking Darko over Carmelo or taking Oden over Durant?

JordansBulls
09-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Bigger NBA Draft Error: Taking Darko over Carmelo or taking Oden over Durant?

Which was a bigger mistake?

Detroit taking Darko with the #2 pick in the 2003 Draft instead of Carmelo with the #3 pick? Or the Blazers taking Oden #1 over Durant in 2007?

Raptor-54
09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
i say darko becuase oden still has potential

Tblaze
09-15-2010, 04:50 PM
wow, I've seen a thread like this 4 times for the past 4 weeks :)

blazerman
09-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Oden is good, he's just been injured alot, Darko is a straightup bum.

Lebron101
09-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Darko by far cuz they didnt pick darko just over melo but over d-wade and Bosh as well
Oden could still be a superstar

greg_ory_2005
09-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Definitely Darko. They missed out on a star SF, PF, SG and C...who were the picks that were after him.

asandhu23
09-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. end thread

fadedmario
09-15-2010, 05:07 PM
I say Oden because we won a title the year we drafted Darko. We may have never won if we had to give a rookie playing time (even if it was Carmelo). Plus, Durant may be the best player in all of basketball already.

AIsixersFK
09-15-2010, 05:10 PM

This

IndyRealist
09-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Taking Darko AND Melo over Dwayne Wade.

Truheatfan
09-15-2010, 05:13 PM

this lol

but honestly i think oden over durant :hide: the reason i say that is cause dark was "supposed" to be nice and at the time the pistons were contenders and the blazers had brandon roy and lamarcuse aldrige and were/are still building to contend in the west against the lakers and they chose the already injury prone oden when they could've chose the best player in the draft and have a great young core of roy durant and aldrige. oden still has some upside but he's been injury prone since high school and all through his career.

29$JerZ
09-15-2010, 05:16 PM
It's Darko over Melo obviously.

Darko turned out to be a nobody even while playing. He's lucky he did well in Orlando to get an extension and that Kahn liked what he saw for like half a season.

Oden injured or not is still a better investment than a guy like Darko who imo is a journey man.

Plus at the time Oden was the clear best big man to take in the draft. Detroit took a young kid at 2 which is a huge risk since the youth factor added too the fact he is a 2nd overall pick doesn't mesh well.

KingOf215
09-15-2010, 05:23 PM
It's not even close. In my opinion, the Darko pick was even worse than Sam Bowie... Not only did they pick Darko over Melo, but over Wade and Bosh too.

Way to go Joe Dumars.

netsgiantsyanks
09-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I say Oden because we won a title the year we drafted Darko. We may have never won if we had to give a rookie playing time (even if it was Carmelo). Plus, Durant may be the best player in all of basketball already.

but how did he help the team in any way, shape, or form?? riding the bench?

Gators123
09-15-2010, 05:26 PM

That's how.

thekmp211
09-15-2010, 05:28 PM
oden still has the potential to justify his pick. it looks like he'll never match durant as a player but if he develops in his own right it will at least vindicate portland and their choice.

it's really easy to say darko now, but everyone at the time said the opposite. darko is an all-time bust were to have been picked in any draft, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb with all the talent that went around him. still think he could be surprising in minny.

Rivera
09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
for the moment darko

but there is a chance that oden=darko

SteveNash
09-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Taking Darko over Wade.

Carmelo would have sucked if Detroit took him.

DeShaun Brown
09-15-2010, 05:33 PM

That's how.

:facepalm: Are you seriously saying that the Pistons wouldn't have won the title that year had they drafted Melo? WOW!

dbeastly
Bigger NBA Draft Error: Taking Darko over Carmelo or taking Oden over Durant?

Which was a bigger mistake?

Detroit taking Darko with the #2 pick in the 2003 Draft instead of Carmelo with the #3 pick? Or the Blazers taking Oden #1 over Durant in 2007?

How about Darko over Wade or Darko over Bosh?

ElFuturoDeESPN
Darko over Melo, for sure. I still think it's too early to label Oden the b-word, he has monster potential, and IF (Quite a big if) he stays healthy thousands upon thousands of folks will be eating their words. Milicic has not done ish in his entire career, he'll be a life-long backup until he goes back to Europe.

avrpatsfan
09-15-2010, 05:35 PM
I see Durant as better than Melo so Oden over Durant.

Gators123
09-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Everybody had Darko being the #2 pick. Dumars didn't pull it out of his ***.

Sports Illustrated first mentioned Darko on Dec. 23, 2002. The magazine wrote:

One scout counted at least 10 times that James failed to get back on defense. Added one G.M., "You have to worry that his sense of entitlement is so great after being spoiled by the AAU system, the agents and all the publicity."

There are no such worries about the potential No. 2 pick, Darko Milicic of Yugoslavia, who sleeps on a pullout bed, is warmed by a space heater and earns approximately $20,000 for the small club Hemofarm. A 7-foot lefthander with size-18 feet, Milicic can do it allóscore inside and outside, run the floor, pass and block shots.

It wasnít until March 31, 2003 that a scout declared Meloís draft position had solidified:

Heís going to be the Number 3 pick in the draft [after LeBron James and Darko Milicic] because heís a throwback guy with the skills to play multiple positions.

Ian Thomsen of Sports Illustrated:

But several years of fishing by the NBA has depleted the talent pool. Other than 7-foot Darko Milicic, an 18-year-old from Serbia-Montenegro who will probably be one of the top three picks, there is no player overseas perceived as a safe choice.

Thomsen wasnít the only one smitten with Darkoís apparent ability to make an immediate impact. ESPNís Chad Ford:

Darko is really one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots the NBA 3 and plays with his back to the basket, so you can slot him in at the 3, 4 or 5 positions. OK, a few other guys can do that too; what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post. You have to love a guy who has the footwork to spin by an opponent but still prefers to lower a shoulder and bang. Fact is, Milicic plays in attack-mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back. While he wonít be asked to carry the Pistons, heís capable of doing this earlier than you think.

Ford also wrote an entire article full of Will Robinson praises for Darko. Among them:

"Heís going to own the game. Own the game," Robinsons exclaims. "Weíre going to have to build a new arena. The only thing that could destroy a kid like that is a woman."

Ö

"Iíve seen a lot of kids come through here in my day," Robinson says. "And none of them have ever played like that. That kidís going to be a star. Heís a 7-footer that plays like a point guard. That kidís something special."

Ö

Yes it is. Like just about anything else Robinson says, itís awfully hard to argue with 92 years of experience.

In a league that can be swayed by the whims of trends and fleeting success stories, itís nice to have an anchor that keeps the ship from straying too far beyond shore.

Will Robinson is sold on Darko Milicic. The question, for the unbelievers still out there, is why arenít you?

Thomsen found a scout to say this:

"He has the makings of the most dominant center in Europe since Arvydas Sabonis," says an NBA scout who isnít sure that James should be picked ahead of Milicic.

http://www.pistonpowered.com/2010/09/myth-detroit-pistons-picking-darko-milicic-over-carmelo-anthony-with-the-no-2-pick-in-the-2003-nba-draft-was-an-avoidable-blunder/

vr67
09-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Everybody had Darko being the #2 pick. Dumars didn't pull it out of his ***.

http://www.pistonpowered.com/2010/09/myth-detroit-pistons-picking-darko-milicic-over-carmelo-anthony-with-the-no-2-pick-in-the-2003-nba-draft-was-an-avoidable-blunder/

Wow, Milicic over LeBron, but Joe D would overpassed LeBron and gotten T.J. Ford.

MELO 15
09-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Taking Darko over Wade.

U really know your basketball, if anything it would have made him better, because he would have gotten better defensively, that team won on defense, put melo's offense on that team, not only would they lock folks down, but they would have blown people out. And don't give me that rookie nonsense talk, melo was and is a special player, so he would have got the job done, reguardless the team, theres to much melo hating going on. calm down!:mad:

gocubsgo23
09-15-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't care about Darko or Oden. Was it a bigger mistake to miss out on getting Melo or to miss out on getting Durant? Obviously the answer is Durant.

Are we saying that missing out on Jordan by taking Bowie would have been less of a mistake if Bowie was a little bit better than he turned out to be? Bowie had "potential" just about as much as Oden does.

Come on, people.

MELO 15
09-15-2010, 05:50 PM
I see Durant as better than Melo so Oden over Durant.

Some times I wonder

fadedmario
09-15-2010, 05:54 PM
:facepalm: Are you seriously saying that the Pistons wouldn't have won the title that year had they drafted Melo? WOW!

Yes I am - That team was built on chemistry, not talent.

gocubsgo23
09-15-2010, 05:59 PM

If I ever get into a sig bet, the bet is going to include the rule that you can't explain your sig bet in your sig.

MELO 15
09-15-2010, 06:02 PM

How would u know if melo wouldn't have built chemistry with the team, for crying out loud, theres no way people would have thought sheed was going to have good chemistry with the pistons, but yet u tell me melo wouldn't, come on now! lets make sense. Again another case of a Melo Hater.:mad:

fadedmario
09-15-2010, 06:02 PM
If I ever get into a sig bet, the bet is going to include the rule that you can't explain your sig bet in your sig.

I agree with you. It would be smart

meloman1592
09-15-2010, 06:03 PM
greg oden still has a chance to be dominant...i can beat darko millicic

LakersA's49ers
09-15-2010, 06:04 PM
oden of durant all day! Durant averages 30.1 points on a TITLE CONTENDER while Melo averages 25 for an overrated team in Denver

fadedmario
09-15-2010, 06:04 PM
How would u know if melo wouldn't have built chemistry with the team, for crying out loud, theres no way people would have thought sheed was going to have good chemistry with the pistons, but yet u tell me melo wouldn't, come on now! lets make sense. Again another case of a Melo Hater.:mad:

Carmelo Anthony is one of my favorite players. So stfu

MELO 15
09-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Carmelo Anthony is one of my favorite players. So stfu

Than u wouldn't have make that comment dummy

Rivera
09-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Will Robinson praises for Darko. Among them:

"Heís going to own the game. Own the game," Robinsons exclaims. "Weíre going to have to build a new arena. The only thing that could destroy a kid like that is a woman."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha
:rimshot:

fadedmario
09-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Than u wouldn't have make that comment dummy

You must be a kid or something. I'm a 30 year old season ticket holder and I know that year we won on defense. Would I love to have Carmelo now? Of course. But that year - it's not a cutdown towards Carmelo - we needed Prince to get big minutes to win it all. Carmelo's D his rookie year was a joke. Also don't act like you know anything about winning a title. Your team never does ****

thescore53
09-15-2010, 06:11 PM
roy durant aldridge :drool:

fadedmario
09-15-2010, 06:12 PM
roy durant aldridge :drool:

Could have been Portland's big 3

SchyGuy11
09-15-2010, 06:13 PM
i can understand the darko argument because he is easily the worst player of the four by far, and even though oden can contribute, i think not taking durant was the biggest mistake because he is going to be way better than all of them. He is one of those players that comes around very rarely. Durant >>>>>>>> Melo

97NYer
09-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Oden was the consensus number 1. It was not a mistake.

Gators123
09-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Oden was the consensus number 1. It was not a mistake.

And Darko was the consensus Number 2

Yanks All Day
09-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Oden still has the potential to be one of the best centers in the NBA if he is healthy. Taking him 1st was not a mistake, because he has just been a little unlucky due to injury. Darko easily was the bigger bust.

Mr.SmackYoMama
Easily Oden over Durant.....Regardless Detroit won a championship the year Darko was drafted and who is to say Melo would have got them another 1? Also Melo is a Great, Elite player but Durant has a serious chance at being one of The Best Ever he is only 21 (22 in a couple weeks) and has already lead the USA team to Gold and that hasn't happened since 94'. Durant helped the Thunder go 6 games against the Lakers who won on a last second shot, Melo played the Lakers in the Conference finals and got blown out in game 6 with an established PG to distribute the rock and legit pieces to help him. My opinions n facts will prob be scrutenized by some but thats how I see it.

MELO 15
oden of durant all day! Durant averages 30.1 points on a TITLE CONTENDER while Melo averages 25 for an overrated team in Denver

first off melo avg 28.2, secound look at there head to head match ups and you'll see, who really is the man, let me answer that 4 u, melo. I believe he had two game winners, one of wich durant was pouding his chest like he was the man, melo had last possesion of the ball with 1.2 secounds and hit it like it was a norm 4 him, no poundind of the chest or anything like it, and heres durant with a stund look on his face, he went through an emotional roller coaster all in 10 secounds. I like durant, but people are jumping on that bandwagon a little to fast.:cool:

Mr.SmackYoMama
09-15-2010, 06:20 PM
You must be a kid or something. I'm a 30 year old season ticket holder and I know that year we won on defense. Would I love to have Carmelo now? Of course. But that year - it's not a cutdown towards Carmelo - we needed Prince to get big minutes to win it all. Carmelo's D his rookie year was a joke. Also don't act like you know anything about winning a title. Your team never does ****

HAHAHAHA Hilarious.....and well said LOL :clap:

todu82
09-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Oden

Mr.SmackYoMama
09-15-2010, 06:28 PM
first off melo avg 28.2, secound look at there head to head match ups and you'll see, who really is the man, let me answer that 4 u, melo. I believe he had two game winners, one of wich durant was pouding his chest like he was the man, melo had last possesion of the ball with 1.2 secounds and hit it like it was a norm 4 him, no poundind of the chest or anything like it, and heres durant with a stund look on his face, he went through an emotional roller coaster all in 10 secounds. I like durant, but people are jumping on that bandwagon a little to fast.:cool:

Bandwagon......He will be 1 of the Greatest to ever play the game.....He is somethin special and anyone can see that. It's time to stop bein a Homer and come to grips with the reality that Melo is Great but Durant is an Absolute Stud without a doubt.....and he's only 21. Melo may have one tha head to head battle but that's about as far as it goes for that argument.

IndyFan
09-15-2010, 06:29 PM
durant >>>> melo

that means oden over durant was a bigger mistake.

unless oden turns out to be a late bloomer.

:)

MELO 15
09-15-2010, 06:33 PM

Im older than u, and Im just gonna give u an analogy, if your working environment is full of hard workers, most likely u would wont to work just as hard, and if not, it becomes noticeable, and u might end up losing your job, same thing applies in the nba, take a look at the redeem team, when played with them he looked good defensively, if im not mistaken he had 3 stls in one game and avg 2. point is, denver was not about defense more so about offense, so there was no motivation there, in detroit he would have had that cause thats what they preached, prince could have came off the bench.

TylerSL
09-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Oden will be the next Shaq if he can stay healthy, when the guy plays he is a monster.

tr3ymill3r
09-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Even before any of these guys started their NBA careers the bigger blunder was drafting Darko over Melo. We all knew Melo was going to be a good player in the NBA we had no idea what another Euro was going to turn into. However there is a strong case to be made for the Blazers blunder as well. If you don't learn from the past the future will haunt you. Sam Bowie: injury prone college center with great upside and potential.
Greg Oden: We all joke on how old he looks, but another injured college center. Michael Jordan: Michael Jordan(nuff said) Kevin Durant: Best college player and wins all awards freshmen year at Texas. In defense of Detroit we can agree the better player was Wade that they missed out on, while Durant has been hands down one of the best players in the league, let's not forget he's only 21.

KNIXX46
09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
both of those moves were bad either way...but oden is better than darko.

wesso2008
09-15-2010, 06:39 PM

This....but Darko over Melo was the 2nd worst error...

SteveNash
09-15-2010, 06:39 PM
U really know your basketball, if anything it would have made him better, because he would have gotten better defensively, that team won on defense, put melo's offense on that team, not only would they lock folks down, but they would have blown people out. And don't give me that rookie nonsense talk, melo was and is a special player, so he would have got the job done, reguardless the team, theres to much melo hating going on. calm down!:mad:

Carmelo's Olympic stats spending one summer with LB:

2.4 PPG, 0 Assists the entire tournament, 25% shooting, 1 Bronze medal thrown into a lake

LB would break Carmelo just like he did Darko.

KNIXX46
09-15-2010, 06:41 PM
think the oden decision is bad? how about sam bowie over michael jordan? portland's probably still kickin themselves in the *** right now...

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Taking Milicic over Melo, and here is why. If the Pistons had selected Melo, they would probably have more than 1 ring, and wouldn't have broken down as we have witnessed. Anytime you want to compare a situation like this, you have to look at team effect, and not simply the player.
That being said, in the long run, Darko is 24, Oden 21. Both still have many years in front of them to shake the bust tag. My money would be on Oden to be the better player, but that is only if he can get healthy.

AddiX
09-15-2010, 06:43 PM
It's to hard for a team to say no to a guy who they think may be a really good center.

Center's are just that valuable. It won't be the last time you see a thread like this either.

KNIXX46
09-15-2010, 06:44 PM

dang you beat me to it...i just posted the same dang thing...but yea, portland's gotta be heated big time....

MELO 15
09-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Carmelo's Olympic stats spending one summer with LB:

2.4 PPG, 0 Assists the entire tournament, 25% shooting, 1 Bronze medal thrown into a lake

LB would break Carmelo just like he did Darko.

Just like he did iverson to right, They could have won gold if he would have let melo play. But LB has a problem with thugs

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 06:45 PM
lets say Oden continues to suffer injury after injury. And Darko gains a small amount of respectability. Seeing as Durant is better than Melo now, and will only continue to seperate themselves, in a few years, which one of these looks worse?

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 06:46 PM
It's to hard for a team to say no to a guy who they think may be a really good center.

Center's are just that valuable. It won't be the last time you see a thread like this either.

and that is really the bottom line. Its so hard to predict a 20 year old. Darko blew scouts away with his athletic ability and skill at 17. Oden was the next defensive monster.
You can never predict what will come of a draft choice, especially centers, who are chased at such a high premium

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 06:49 PM
I do find it funny many are writing off two centers who are 25 or under, with loads of potential. As a Wolves fan, I simply hope Darko becomes a stable center at best. But Oden could be a defensive machine if his damn body ever cooperates

JordansBulls
09-15-2010, 06:54 PM

Again I am comparing players in the league today.

samevans7
09-15-2010, 06:55 PM
How bout this chain reaction? In 05, Portland traded the 3rd overall to Utah for the 6th and other, non important picks.... Portland got Martell Webster that year, and the 3rd overall got Deron Williams....

The year later, portland traded to boston for the 7th overall, then traded for the 6th overall, and got Brandon Roy.

So getting Roy had no impact of their record....

what i'm getting at is that POR coulda had CP3, and Brandon Roy. Plus, then if they still got the 1st in 2007, how godly would Aldridge, (other), Durant, Roy, Paul be?

samevans7
09-15-2010, 06:55 PM
doub post

Ezekial
09-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Taking Darko over Wade.

Doubtful, he probably would've learned a lot from their veteran core.

How about Darko over Wade or Darko over Bosh?

I can see where you're coming with Wade but......

Melo > Bosh

JerseysFinest
09-15-2010, 06:56 PM
i dont think its fair to fault a team for making what was the right decision at the time. oden and darko seemed like better prospoects in their respective drafts than Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant.

Gators123
09-15-2010, 06:58 PM
i dont think its fair to fault a team for making what was the right decision at the time. oden and darko seemed like better prospoects in their respective drafts than Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant.

/thread

IHeartNY
09-15-2010, 06:59 PM
(Donnie) Darko Milicic. Oden ... somehow I think he will show up ... someday.

DeyAce
09-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Darko

JWO35
09-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Darko :pity:
At least the Pistons got a ring, but if they would have drafted Melo they would most likely have more....

Ebbs
09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Darko because Oden could still be good!

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 07:17 PM
I am honestly trying to not be a homer here, but with Darko being 25, how does he have no hope of being a player in most of your minds? The dude is 25 haha. I don't think he will be an all star or anything, but I would at least give the dude another chance with a coach and team that want him.

JWO35
09-15-2010, 07:24 PM
The reason Oden still has a chance to be good because when he's not in a cast,wheelchair, taking naked photos, etc. the dude shows flashes of being a great Center(only negative is the fouling). But with Darko, okay he was dealt a bad hand in Detroit...but when he was in Orlando, Memphis, and New York he's yet to prove he's capable of being anything but a 3rd string Center. And he doesn't have an excuse like Oden.

path2zion
09-15-2010, 07:31 PM
cant agree with most of u. Oden was worst. Not blaming Portland because it was tough call, but Durant is the #1 player any GM would take over everyone else in the league. At 21, his game is absolutely rediculous. He should be MVP this season. Already the most complete scorer in the game (id say tied with Kobe), and he's already above avg at D, passing, and rebounding. Oden can still be good, but hes played 80 games in 3 years and his ceiling is just not that high. Darko is one of the biggest bust of all time, but it looks like Durant will be the most dominant player since MJ.

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 07:36 PM
cant agree with most of u. Oden was worst. Not blaming Portland because it was tough call, but Durant is the #1 player any GM would take over everyone else in the league. At 21, his game is absolutely rediculous. He should be MVP this season. Already the most complete scorer in the game (id say tied with Kobe), and he's already above avg at D, passing, and rebounding. Oden can still be good, but hes played 80 games in 3 years and his ceiling is just not that high. Darko is one of the biggest bust of all time, but it looks like Durant will be the most dominant player since MJ.

27 GM's would have taken Oden #1. Also, there is some dude named LeBron when talking about dominance since MJ.

Kyben36
09-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Oden has a very high PER and should he stay healthy, that he is great durring the minutes he plays, Darko, drifted from team to team, and could not even find a spot. Oden, will allways ( as long as healthy) be a starter, becuase Oden will allways be a good defender, and even if your a terrible offensive player, a defensive C allways makes it in the league.

llemon
09-15-2010, 07:50 PM
My apologies for having existed for more years than most of you, but Nets' picking Kenny Anderson over Deke was one of the greatest NBA draft selection mistakes ever.

Jewelz0376
09-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Def had to go with Darko over Melo... Oden can def be a Noah type center and a defensive anchor for years and years he's just had bad luck with injuries... and when you look at Portland they are still a pretty solid team..

Now you look at what Det has become is there is no way they would be as bad as they are now if they took Melo, I understood why they didn't take Melo since they already have prince...but Det is def way worse off for not taking Melo than Por is for not taking Durant...

path2zion
09-15-2010, 07:59 PM
27 GM's would have taken Oden #1. Also, there is some dude named LeBron when talking about dominance since MJ.

It's not about what 27 gms would have done 4 years ago, I dont knock portland for the choice, its just a fact of the matter. Not to mention Detroit was rock solid at the 3 spot with Tayshaun, center was by far their biggest need with losing wallace.

And I completely disagree about Lebron. Durant at 21 is already a toss-up with Lebron as who is the better player. His improvement from year to year is staggering. He took the Lakers to 7 games last year, when their overall talent was nothing compared to them. Durant will probably be considered LB's superior by the end of this year, and Id be willing to make that bet if Miami doesnt get a ring. In the WC on the other hand, Lakers sould remain better than OKC overall for a good 2-3 years.

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 08:00 PM
My apologies for having existed for more years than most of you, but Nets' picking Kenny Anderson over Deke was one of the greatest NBA draft selection mistakes ever.

I watched Kenny at GT. I have no idea, to this day, why the Net's took him over Deke. Average sized PG's who are average shooters are pretty easy to find. Paint protectors are not

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 08:02 PM
It's not about what 27 gms would have done 4 years ago, I dont knock portland for the choice, its just a fact of the matter. Not to mention Detroit was rock solid at the 3 spot with Tayshaun, center was by far their biggest need with losing wallace.

And I completely disagree about Lebron. Durant at 21 is already a toss-up with Lebron as who is the better player. His improvement from year to year is staggering. He took the Lakers to 7 games last year, when their overall talent was nothing compared to them. Durant will probably be considered LB's superior by the end of this year, and Id be willing to make that bet if Miami doesnt get a ring. In the WC on the other hand, Lakers sould remain better than OKC overall for a good 2-3 years.

well, you can't do an after the fact judgement and bring that up imo.
And no, LeBron at 21 was a better overall player. His distribution skills alone created the seperation. I love Duran't curve, but he is not in LeBron's realm yet. No way.

samevans7
09-15-2010, 08:05 PM

they had 2 wallaces with Darko.... lol

and KD isnt as good of a non-scorer as LBJ. LeBron is a very good rebounder and a VERY good defender. He can also pass the ball very well. So no, Durant<LBJ yet

ackar
09-15-2010, 08:08 PM

Ditto DONE debate over!

rhymeratic
09-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Oden over Durant is FAR WORSE!

At least Darko's presence as a practice dummy won then a championship!

JordansBulls
09-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Ditto DONE debate over!

Again guys. If the thread asked who was a better PG between Deron and CP3, and then someone came in and said Magic Johnson was the greatest PG and better than both, then how would that apply to the topic?

samevans7
09-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Again guys. If the thread asked who was a better PG between Deron and CP3, and then someone came in and said Magic Johnson was the greatest PG and better than both, then how would that apply to the topic?

because Stockton was better than everybody.

hahahah lol jk im with ya here

Iggz53
09-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Darko over Wade

heattiltheend94
09-15-2010, 08:55 PM
I'll say this for the umpteenth time, taking Darko over a top 3 player (Wade), a top ten player (Carmelo), and a top 15 (Bosh) is just terrible. They missed out on 3 superstars, and now have an average role player at best. I still believe Oden will develop into a top 5 Center when he is healthy. I can't believe that they fired the Portland head coach because of this. Oden just needs better luck.

TO Rapz
09-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Bargnani.

Wade>You
09-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I voted Oden over Durant, but it's amazing how different the Pistons future would have been if they would have walked away with someone better than Darko w/ the 2nd pick in the 2003 draft.

Geargo Wallace
09-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Drafting Darko over anyone else in that draft.

td0tsfinest
09-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Darko for sure. I still think Oden can be an impact player as long as he stays healthy.

RCarlson85
09-15-2010, 09:26 PM
I think the worse error at the time they were drafted was taking Darko over Melo. Everyone knew how good Melo was, they just saw him lead his team to a championship as a freshman. No one really knew how good Darko was since he had only played overseas.

When Oden and Durant were coming out of college, I don't think there was as big of a difference between them as there was between Darko/Melo. Oden was a solid big man in college and if not for his injuries would have been a good player for the Blazers.

Now that we've seen how each player has developed I think the bigger mistake was taking Oden over Durant. Oden has been injured every year and Durant is now a superstar. In my opinion, Durant is better than Melo right now.

John Walls Era
09-15-2010, 09:45 PM
But guys... Chris Webber, Vlade Divac and Darko are the greatest passing big men of all time (via Kahn).

PC
09-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Without a doubt Darko. Oden's actually played well when healthy and still has potential

JordansBulls
09-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Darko over Wade

There was no way Wade was getting drafted over Melo especially when Melo was better at the time and younger.

llemon
09-15-2010, 10:54 PM
But guys... Chris Webber, Vlade Divac and Darko are the greatest passing big men of all time (via Kahn).

Once again showing what an idiot Kahn is

knicksfan42
09-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I am honestly trying to not be a homer here, but with Darko being 25, how does he have no hope of being a player in most of your minds?

He's been in the league for 7 years.

PurpleJesus
09-15-2010, 11:02 PM

mmm...pretty sure kahn never said darko was the best passing big of all time...just more bologna that people feed to the fire.

cmellofan15
09-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Darko in the NBA is essentially an error.

The_Jamal
09-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Easily Darko over Melo or anyone else, and it's not even close. Oden was the easy choice at number 1, Legit 7 footers with actual skill don't come around often. Sure, Durant's obviously the better player now, but in no way shape or form could you justify grabbing Durant over Oden at the time.

knicksfan42
09-15-2010, 11:08 PM
mmm...pretty sure kahn never said darko was the best passing big of all time...just more bologna that people feed to the fire.

He didn't say the best, here's what he said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G848nahXCec&feature=fvw

Watch the whole thing or watch from one min at one point Webber even says don't put me and Darko in the same sentence.

PurpleJesus
09-15-2010, 11:15 PM
He didn't say the best, here's what he said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G848nahXCec&feature=fvw

Watch the whole thing or watch from one min at one point Webber even says don't put me and Darko in the same sentence.

Ive seen it, i know what the original poster was referring to, it was dumb for Kahn to compare webbers career to darkos...Kahn compared Darko to Vlade in passing, but never said that Darko is the best passing big of all time...that would have been blasphemy if he said that.

On a somewhat related sidenote...is it OK to compare John Wall to Derek Rose, or Ricky Rubio to Steve Nash? Is it ok to compare evan turner to brandon roy? I guess all those things are OK to do, unless of course you are david kahn

John Walls Era
09-15-2010, 11:25 PM

haha I just love to give the haters fuel. But he actually did say he hasn't seen a C pass like Darko since Vlade (Something to that nature, not exaggerating).

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Ive seen it, i know what the original poster was referring to, it was dumb for Kahn to compare webbers career to darkos...Kahn compared Darko to Vlade in passing, but never said that Darko is the best passing big of all time...that would have been blasphemy if he said that.

On a somewhat related sidenote...is it OK to compare John Wall to Derek Rose, or Ricky Rubio to Steve Nash? Is it ok to compare evan turner to brandon roy? I guess all those things are OK to do, unless of course you are david kahn

god forbid a GM try and give confidence to his newly signed 25 year old center who was passed around like a drugged out hooker throughout his career, trying to show him the potential he may possess.
Are the Darko comparisons to Webber and Vlade valid? Nope.
Was Kahn trying to instill some self confidence into his 25 year old center who has totally soured on his NBA experience? Yep

and the very fact that Webber reacted the way he did was more laughable than what Kahn said. If someone commented that a player of Darko's results was in the same conversation as me, who went for 20-10 for years, I would simply acknowledge it was for confidence building reasons. Nothing further.

And yes, I guess we shouldn't dare mention Rose as a comparison for Wall, or Turner as a comparsion of Roy. How dare we?

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 11:27 PM
haha I just love to give the haters fuel. But he actually did say he hasn't seen a C pass like Darko since Vlade (Something to that nature, not exaggerating).

is that what he said? Go find, word for word, Kahn's comment.

tredigs
09-15-2010, 11:35 PM

I was actually watching the game at the time (I watch T-Wolves summer league games on ESPN3.com to get my NBA fix in... whoa), and he did say that. I think he's just an emotional, promoting-type owner, and it looked like he was lost in the moment a bit while defending his moves/players
"With us (Darko) was like Manna from heaven," Kahn said "He is 7'1" and legitimately moves like a forward... I haven't seen a big man pass like him. He really does pass like Vlade (Divac)."
[/QUOTE]

Though I gotta say, I watched the Wolves/Darko play a pretty decent amount last year, and I do think his vision and post-passing is definitely upper echelon. If he worked out tough over the summer and comes to this season with the right attitude, I see no reason why he can't make himself a valuable piece for them in the block. The guy has the talent.

edit:
As for Oden over Durant being a "mistake", it wasn't. 99% of the owners (I remember reading of one dissenting team that would've chose Durant, but can't remember who that was right now) agreed that Oden was the right choice. It's easy for everyone to Monday night QB the situation now, but nobody knew that he was going to have such an unfortunate injury situation, or that Durant would be [I]this good. By the way, Oden is still only 22 friggin' years old - the kid (admittedly trapped in a body with my grandpas bone density) could still be great.

PurpleJesus
09-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Durant is one of those few superstars who becomes a face of the league...one of the few that can be mentioned as a replacement to Kobe or Lebron, one of the few that can turn a team into a perennial contender. Melo is a heck of a player, but he is none of these things

Detroit missed out on a very good player
Portland missed out on a bona-fide superstar

Oden over Durant was the bigger mistake

Sly Guy
09-15-2010, 11:36 PM
this is a really good question, and a great poll, so cheers to the creator. I guess it comes down to 2 things, if you still believe Oden has potential, and if you think Durant is/will be better than 'melo.

I think Oden still has time, but I also like Durant better than 'melo, so really, I have no freaking clue what I'd choose.

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 11:37 PM
I was actually watching the game at the time (I watch T-Wolves summer league games on ESPN3.com to get my NBA fix in... whoa), and he did say that. I think he's just an emotional, promoting-type owner, and it looked like he was lost in the moment a bit while defending his moves/players [I don't think he said this to build confidence for Darko, though. He was just spouting off with the other broadcasters when they questioned him Darko). Here's an article that quoted it: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/its-not-just-you-laughing-at-david-kahn-chris-webber-is-on-board-too.php

no, I heard it. And he actually does pass like Vlade. Unfortunately, he has been such a pantywaste as far as offensive production, shooting, and physical defense, the comparison stops at passing. Darko is a very exceptional passer. But, not much else to this point except for shell shocked

tredigs
09-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Durant is one of those few superstars who becomes a face of the league...one of the few that can be mentioned as a replacement to Kobe or Lebron, one of the few that can turn a team into a perennial contender. Melo is a heck of a player, but he is none of these things

Detroit missed out on a very good player
Portland missed out on a bona-fide superstar

Oden over Durant was the bigger mistake

Again, up to this point (probably, forever) it was the more unfortunate decision. But we say that as Monday night QB's. It wasn't a "mistake" to draft Oden; he was considered by virtually all the coaches/scouts/GM's to have all the potential to be the leagues next great center. In a time where center is such an atrociously weak position, and with the guard talent that Portland already has, they would have owned the league at this point had he developed smoothly.

Also, they already had an elite up 'n coming wing [Brandon Roy] at the time. What they lacked was an elite big, and Oden was (and still may be) their answer. If he can somehow pull it together has a healthy season this year, they are very legit contenders.

I love Durant's game as much as anyone (and think he has the skill/potential/work ethic to be - not just great - A Great), but the "mistake" line has got to go.

JonnyBrav000
09-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Taking Darko over Melo is quite possibly the worst draft move ever. Even worse than Bowie over Jordan just because everyone knew Melo would be a superstar, and Darko was a huge question mark and never put up big numbers or played big minutes back where he was from and Melo was a ncaa superstar. Obviously in hindsight taking Bowie over Jordan is worse, but from a draft night stand point, taking Darko over Melo is the dumbest move ever, and Detroit would have been a dynasty with Melo, without a doubt.

PurpleJesus
09-16-2010, 12:05 AM
Again, up to this point (probably, forever) it was the more unfortunate decision. But we say that as Monday night QB's. It wasn't a "mistake" to draft Oden; he was considered by virtually all the coaches/scouts/GM's to have all the potential to be the leagues next great center. In a time where center is such an atrociously weak position, and with the guard talent that Portland already has, they would have owned the league at this point had he developed smoothly.

Also, they already had an elite up 'n coming wing at the time. What they lacked was an elite big, and Oden was (and still may be) their answer. If he can somehow pull it together has a healthy season this year, they are very legit contenders.

I love Durant's game as much as anyone (and think he has the skill/potential/work ethic to be - not just great - A Great), [B]but the "mistake" line has got to go.

the poll question is which one was the bigger mistake...You make good points, but just because many people thought Oden was the better prospect doesnt mean it wasnt a mistake to take him over Durant. Plain and simple, taking Oden over Durant was a huge mistake...no matter how you spin it, Portland could have had Durant, and they didnt get him...that is a mistake.

John Walls Era
09-16-2010, 12:12 AM

I'm not watching that video again... but as someone already pointed out, he said something almost like that (very close).

mynameismo
09-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Oden will be fine. Potential is there.. Health is just his main concern.

tredigs
09-16-2010, 01:43 AM
the poll question is which one was the bigger mistake...You make good points, but just because many people thought Oden was the better prospect doesnt mean it wasnt a mistake to take him over Durant. Plain and simple, taking Oden over Durant was a huge mistake...no matter how you spin it, Portland could have had Durant, and they didnt get him...that is a mistake.

Like I said, so far it has been an unfortunate decision. It does not mean it was a mistake.

A mistake to me would insinuate that their was a wide variety of opinions or that Pritchard was taking the less popular choice (gamble) by taking Oden. That just isn't the case. The overwhelming majority agreed that Oden was the right decision, and it was not a "mistake" to choose him.

Does he/Blazers fans regret it now? I'm sure. But just because something does not turn out how you'd hoped, does not mean that the initial decision was a mistake.

If anything we're arguing about the definition of "mistake" here. But I'm pretty sure that my take on it is the right one in this case.

And again, he's only 22. People shouldn't be so quick to close the book on the dude.

Sadds The Gr8
09-16-2010, 02:12 AM
Darko over Melo because noone knew Oden was made of glass.

Antipod
09-16-2010, 03:07 AM
Definitely Darko over Melo. Oden can still be decent/good/heck,even great, if he can stay healthy.

knicksfan42
09-16-2010, 06:53 AM

He said, ''I haven't seen a big man pass like him.''

HouRealCoach
09-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Darko over Melo, Wade, Bosh, Kaman, Hinrich, West, Howard

JordansBulls
09-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Oden will be fine. Potential is there.. Health is just his main concern.

I just think this season is the make or break season for Oden.