PDA

View Full Version : Will anyone in the NBA at the moment have their jerseys retired in the future?

aussie
09-14-2010, 11:20 PM
and who?

*Silver&Black*
09-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Kobe.

Maybe Nash and Dirk, just because of the teams they are on.

bholly
09-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Tim Duncan. Also probably Shaq. Maybe Garnett for the T-Wolves?

*Silver&Black*
09-14-2010, 11:26 PM
I forgot about Tim Duncan.

For sure:

Kobe
Duncan
Dirk (the team he is on is the reason)

Most likely:

Nash (MVPs for the Suns. Most liked player in the NBA right now it seems.)
KG (Wolves/Celtics?)
Shaq (Lakers?)

I won't count the Wades, Lebrons, Durants yet.

BT601
09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
dwayne wade heat

aussie
09-14-2010, 11:31 PM
what u think of A.I bholly?

Lakerfan8032
09-14-2010, 11:32 PM
I think Gasol could have a chance. The Lakers retired Worthy's number and he no better than a number two option for his career. Also, I'm sure the Celtics will retire Pierce's number. They retire so many numbers so I can't see them not retiring #34. The 76ers may retire Iverson's but who knows.

Sadds The Gr8
09-14-2010, 11:33 PM
my opinion and some that haven't been said.

Billups - Pistons
Big Ben - Pistons
Iverson - 76ers
Kidd - Nets
Parker - Spurs
Ginobili - Spurs

hotpotato1092
09-14-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm surprised nobody has said this one, Chauncey Billups in Detroit. It's a bit of a stretch to hang his jersey with Isiah's, but he lead them to a title and was a local hero, I've actually met him (my uncle did a commercial with him), he's the nicest guy in the world and I'm sure the entire Pistons organization feels that way. I think we'll see Chauncey's name in the rafters at some point.

aussie
09-14-2010, 11:34 PM
yeh i was thinking ben wallace, and maybe billups but wasnt sure

cubbiesalldaway
09-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Paul Pierce

kjoke
09-14-2010, 11:45 PM
as of right now wade of rthe heat, but then again so could lebron and bosh in the distant years

Sandman
09-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Paul Pierce

i was just about to ask why he wasnt mentioned yet

Paul Pierce in Boston

prash
09-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Kobe #8 not #24 (yet)

Dirk 41 Dallas
Duncan 21 Spurs
Wade 3 Heat
Pierce 34 Celtics

Hellcrooner
09-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Cetlics, Pierce, ALlen and Garnett Maybe Shaq if they win the ring.

Knicks , None.

Raptors, .......mmmmm Maybe and a big maybe Carters.

Sixers, Iverson.

Nets, Kidd.

Bulls, Nonse. for the moment.

Bucks, None.

Pistons, Billups, Sheed. Maybe Rip or Prince. GRant hil has some chance.

Paers, None.

Cavs, Lebron even if it hurts to think it now.

Hawks, None.

Bobcats, None.

Wizards, None.

HEat, Wade, the rest is yet to be dtermined.

Magic, Too early to tell on Dwight.

Hornets, Too erarly to tell on cp3.

Spurs, Parkjer, Manu and TIm.

Mavs, Dirk.

Rockets, None.

Grizzlies, Pau.

THunder, early to tell on Durant.

Blazers, early to tell on Roy.

Nuggets, Early to tell on Melo.

Jazz, Early to tell on Deron.

Wolves, KG

Lakers, KObe and Pau early to tell on Bynum.

Clppers, None.

Warriors, None

Suns, Nash, maybbbbeeeee stouamire.

Kings, None.

AIsixersFK
09-15-2010, 12:00 AM
my opinion and some that haven't been said.

Billups - Pistons
Big Ben - Pistons
Iverson - 76ers
Kidd - Nets
Parker - Spurs
Ginobili - Spurs

Billups and Ben Wallace will NOT have their jerseys retired by the Pistons. Here's why......They already gave their numbers away. Stuckey wear's Big Ben's 3 and Iverson wore Billups 1. If they planned on retiring their numbers that would have never happened. If the Sixers ever gave someone number 3 I would burn their stadium down.

*Silver&Black*
09-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Paul Pierce

Crap. I forgot.:D Add him to the list of "for sure".

ChiSox219
09-15-2010, 12:02 AM

abe_froman
09-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Billups and Ben Wallace will NOT have their jerseys retired by the Pistons. Here's why......They already gave their numbers away. Stuckey wear's Big Ben's 3 and Iverson wore Billups 1. If they planned on retiring their numbers that would have never happened. If the Sixers ever gave someone number 3 I would burn their stadium down.

thats a very,very weak reason.until a number is retired its still up for grabs,and it can and sometimes does get worn by others until the retirement ceremony.i'll give an example from my team,bob love's number is retired,but was still worn by other players until it was formally retired

Korman12
09-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Right now;

Kobe - LA
Nash - Phoenix
Duncan - San Antonio
Iverson (still not technically retired or done in the NBA) - Philly
Garnett - Minnesota
Shaq - LA
Kidd - Nets
Pierce - Boston
Dirk - Dallas
Ray Allen - Somewhere, probably

Sadds The Gr8
09-15-2010, 12:22 AM

does that actually mean that they can never have their jerseys retired? i never knew that.

abe_froman
09-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Cetlics: Pierce, Allen and Garnett
Knicks: amare(if things go they hope)
Raptors: carter,maybe bosh
Sixers: ai
Nets: Kidd.
Bulls: rose,probably
Bucks: allen
Pistons: billups,big ben,maybe hill
pacers:
cavs: bron
Hawks: maybe jj
Bobcats: wallace
Wizards:
Heat: Wade,probably bron and bosh as well
Magic: Dwight,shaq
Hornets: cp3.
Spurs: Parker, Manu and TIm.
Mavs: Dirk,kidd
Rockets: yao
Grizzlies
Thunder: kd,allen
Blazers: roy probably
Nuggets: Melo
Jazz: Deron probably
Wolves: KG
Lakers: kobe,pau,shaq
Clppers:
Warriors:
Suns: Nash,amare.
Kings: evans probably,as long as nothing dramatically bad happens

NBAkYD
09-15-2010, 12:28 AM
does that actually mean that they can never have their jerseys retired? i never knew that.

It doesn't mean that the number can never be retired, its just unusual to see a team re-issue a number they have plans to retire. For example, nobody has worn #3 in Philadelphia since AI left or 34 in LA after Shaq.

Edit: I also think the Lakers DEFINITELY retire Shaq's #34. He won 3 championships and didn't leave on terms nearly bad enough to imply or justify not retiring the number

aussie
09-15-2010, 12:31 AM
pacers:if they can keep collison and granger??
cavs: bron
Hawks: maybe jj
Bobcats: wallace
Wizards:Wall aslong as he stays, and possibly arenas??
Heat: Wade,probably bron and bosh as well
Magic: Dwight,shaq
Hornets: cp3.
Spurs: Parker, Manu and TIm.
Mavs: Dirk,kidd
Rockets: yao
Grizzlies: gay? marc/pau?
Thunder: kd,allen
Blazers: roy probably

wat bout them?

abe_froman
09-15-2010, 12:36 AM
wat bout them?

i dunno about pau,he was a good player and basically carried them while there...but not enough success i think he maybe overlooked.with wall,he hasnt played yet so its tough to say how brilliant he is,if he can lead a revitalization than he def will.as for granger and collison,is yet to be determined what they will do together

tredigs
09-15-2010, 12:37 AM
All the players have been mentioned; Crooner had the best list.

Two coaches:

Phil Jackson - LA

Jerry Sloan - Utah

Both will receive their 2nd retired jerseys as head coaches for their respective teams.

Apophis
09-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Kobe and Duncan for sure..

Carter305
09-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Dwade!!!! Right nowww readyy........ Lebron!!!! And bossh!!!!! (to be determined)

the-turk
09-15-2010, 01:48 AM
Celtics: Pierce, Allen and Garnett

Sixers: Iverson.

Nets: Kidd.

Pistons: Billups, Big Ben and maybe Sheed

Cavs: Lebron

Bobcats: Maybe Wallace

Heat: Wade

Magic: Probably Dwight.

Spurs: Parker, Manu and Duncan.

Mavs: Dirk.

Rockets: Maybe Yao

Wolves: Garnett

Lakers: Kobe, Shaq and probably Pau if three-peat

Suns: Nash

5ass
09-15-2010, 02:12 AM
im sure miami will retire d-wades, lebrons and bosh's jerseys no matter how many rings these 3 are going to win they are going to have long and competitive playoff runs

DeZonia
09-15-2010, 02:15 AM
I know nobody has said this name the whole thread, but last playoffs they were talking about will they retired his number. And I personally believe they should, he has been a huge part of the Lakers success throughout the years.

Derek Fisher

DeZonia
09-15-2010, 02:17 AM
How can you guys say Lebron and Bosh will have their number retired when they haven't even played for their team wtf... People usually get their number retired when they had a significant impact on the franchise. Those 2 won't have a huge impact UNLESS they win like 4 NBA championships and extend their contract.

Giantwarrior
09-15-2010, 02:24 AM
stupid question. you just have to be a productive player and play with a team long enough and you will probably get your Jersey retired.

Alanzo Morning got his number retired, but not even close to being a HOF.

Knicks21
09-15-2010, 02:24 AM
Magic - McGrady

hgtiger32
09-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Right now;

Kobe - LA
Nash - Phoenix
Duncan - San Antonio
Iverson (still not technically retired or done in the NBA) - Philly
Garnett - Minnesota
Shaq - LA
Kidd - Nets
Pierce - Boston
Dirk - Dallas
Ray Allen - Somewhere, probably

prolly with my bucks

what about Yao...if he puts together 5 more good seasons injury free?

Bruno
09-15-2010, 02:37 AM
Shaq/Lakers, maybe the Heat or Magic.
Kobe/Lakers, both numbers.
Duncan/Spurs
KG/T-Wolves, maybe the Celtics.
Dirk/Mavs
Pierce/Celtics
Wade/Heat
Iverson/76ers
Billups/Detroit
Nash/Suns
Kidd/Nets
LeBron/Cavs, in a long time with different ownership maybe.

Knicks21
09-15-2010, 02:39 AM
Why is there no love for McGrady, people tend to forget that there were two black mamba's back in the day.

bholly
09-15-2010, 03:21 AM
what u think of A.I bholly?

I expect it, and I'm definitely in favour of it, I was just heading out the door when I posted and didn't want to open the 'you're a homer' and 'AI sucks now and was always a cancer' cans of worms.

Lakerfan8032
09-15-2010, 03:25 AM
All the players have been mentioned; Crooner had the best list.

Two coaches:

Phil Jackson - LA

Jerry Sloan - Utah

Both will receive their 2nd retired jerseys as head coaches for their respective teams.

As of now I can't see the Lakers retiring whatever they would for Jackson. There is no precedent for it. If that were to happen than the team should retire something for Pat Riley.

And what do you retire to represent a coach? A chair? A chalkboard? I guess just a jersey with the last name and a number representing an accomplishment or the years coached would be the only things I can think of off the top of my head that make any sense.

abe_froman
09-15-2010, 03:27 AM
As of now I can't see the Lakers retiring whatever they would for Jackson. There is no precedent for it. If that were to happen than the team should retire something for Pat Riley.

And what do you retire to represent a coach? A chair? A chalkboard? I guess just a jersey with the last name and a number representing an accomplishment or the years coached would be the only things I can think of off the top of my head that made any sense.

its just a banner with his name on it is all

Lakerfan8032
09-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Why is there no love for McGrady, people tend to forget that there were two black mamba's back in the day.

He had some exceptional years but he never led any team to glory of any kind. That would be the reason that a team would not retire his number. It takes more than individual success for a team to recognize a player by retiring their jersey number and acknowledging them as a significant member in the franchse's history. There is no compelling argument that could convince me that McGrady should have his number retired by Orlando, Houston, Toronto or New York (especially the last two). First round playoff exits don't cut it.

DeZonia
09-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Nobody has anything to say about Derek Fisher?

DoJoTheSlasher
09-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Kobe #8,#24 Lakers
Shaq #34 Lakers (Magic?)
Duncan #21 Spurs
Dirk #41 Mavs
Nash #13 Suns
Kidd #5 Nets
Pierce #34 Celtics
Garnett #21 Wolves (Celtics?)

Maybe Billups #1 with Detroit
Ginobili #20 Spurs

abe_froman
09-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Nobody has anything to say about Derek Fisher?

he probably wont,he was a big part of the laker teams of the past decade...but retired jersey's usually go for greats.and especially with it being lakers,they are super strict about who get that honor

aussie
09-15-2010, 04:40 AM
michael redd anyone?

AI4MVP
09-15-2010, 04:53 AM
Nash #13 Suns is just as sure fire as anyone in the league

BirdIsTheWord
09-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Steve Nash, Paul Peirce and Tim Duncan are my definites.

RocketPower2010
09-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Mike James should get his jersey retired in every team in the NBA, much like Jackie Robinson in the MLB. His contributions extended to more than just greatness on the court, but influence off the court as well. He is not just Mr.Basketball, but Mr.Human Being.

DerekRE_3
09-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Cetlics, Pierce, ALlen and Garnett Maybe Shaq if they win the ring.

Knicks , None.

Raptors, .......mmmmm Maybe and a big maybe Carters.

Sixers, Iverson.

Nets, Kidd.

Bulls, Nonse. for the moment.

Bucks, None.

Pistons, Billups, Sheed. Maybe Rip or Prince. GRant hil has some chance.

Paers, None.

Cavs, Lebron even if it hurts to think it now.

Hawks, None.

Bobcats, None.

Wizards, None.

HEat, Wade, the rest is yet to be dtermined.

Magic, Too early to tell on Dwight.

Hornets, Too erarly to tell on cp3.

Spurs, Parkjer, Manu and TIm.

Mavs, Dirk.

Rockets, None.

Grizzlies, Pau.

THunder, early to tell on Durant.

Blazers, early to tell on Roy.

Nuggets, Early to tell on Melo.

Jazz, Early to tell on Deron.

Wolves, KG

Lakers, KObe and Pau early to tell on Bynum.

Clppers, None.

Warriors, None

Suns, Nash, maybbbbeeeee stouamire.

Kings, None.

I can see the Bobcats retiring Gerald Wallace's number. He's the franchises first all star, has been there since the beginning, and has been a leader and backbone of the team for years, and that will continue.

Hellcrooner
09-15-2010, 10:27 AM
I can see the Bobcats retiring Gerald Wallace's number. He's the franchises first all star, has been there since the beginning, and has been a leader and backbone of the team for years, and that will continue.

your probably right .

Waht bout Bibby , Peja and the Kings'? Vlade and Webber got theirs,

Hellcrooner
09-15-2010, 10:32 AM
An interesting question is, How many Jerseys does Shaq get retired?

SUns and Cavs is a NO i guess, but Magics, Hat, Lakers have some odds in favour and Celtics, if he wins a ring there will probably be.

AIsixersFK
09-15-2010, 10:51 AM
thats a very,very weak reason.until a number is retired its still up for grabs,and it can and sometimes does get worn by others until the retirement ceremony.i'll give an example from my team,bob love's number is retired,but was still worn by other players until it was formally retired

I don't think it's weak at all. If a player meant that much to a franchise why would they disrespect them by giving their number away if they planned on retiring it? Look at the 49ers. Jerry Rice's jersey for whatever reason still hasn't been retired but NO ONE has worn it. That's respect.

Hellcrooner
09-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't think it's weak at all. If a player meant that much to a franchise why would they disrespect them by giving their number away if they planned on retiring it? Look at the 49ers. Jerry Rice's jersey for whatever reason still hasn't been retired but NO ONE has worn it. That's respect. llook a t this

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/numbers.html

NUmber 13 was used on lakers by Dwight Jones after wilt had legft.

Nuber 25 was used by no less then FIVEN player after Goodrich retired.

DeyAce
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Wade

shep33
09-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Kobe #8 not #24 (yet)

Dirk 41 Dallas
Duncan 21 Spurs
Wade 3 Heat
Pierce 34 Celtics

Why not 24? A gold medal, 2 NBA Titles, an MVP, 2 Finals MVP awards, 3 Straight Finals appearances. Either way, he's obviously getting his number retired, 8, 24 or whatever, heck throw em both in there.

zo#33
09-15-2010, 11:48 AM
stupid question. you just have to be a productive player and play with a team long enough and you will probably get your Jersey retired.

Alanzo Morning got his number retired, but not even close to being a HOF.

WTF? Im not saying he is going to make it but he is definitely close.

I think Lebron will get his jersey retired in Cleveland and maybe Miami. Haslem will probably also get his jersey retired.

Gators123
09-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Ben Wallace
Billups
Hamilton

perknation
09-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Pierce
Kobe
Duncan

Lakerfan8032
09-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Steve Nash, Paul Peirce and Tim Duncan are my definites.

:confused:Kobe is not a definite for you? Is that just hate or you don't think he deserves it (which he most certainly does)? I would list some of his credentials but that seems to be unnecessary. I'm guessing since you appear to be a Nuggets fan that it is just pure hate and that's a shame. No one on here hates the Celtics more than me but I can at least recognize that Pierce has been a great Celtic and his number will be retired when all is said and done (and I hate Pierce with a passion).

DerekRE_3
09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
your probably right .

Waht bout Bibby , Peja and the Kings'? Vlade and Webber got theirs,

I think Vlade and Webber are the only guys from that Kings team that get their jersey's retired.

RocketPower2010
09-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Note to self, always put Kobe in every list in a forum...if god forbid you forget, Laker posters will post walls of texts calling you a hater...must remember!

Lakerfan8032
09-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Note to self, always put Kobe in every list in a forum...if god forbid you forget, Laker posters will post walls of texts calling you a hater...must remember!

Damn right!:D

GoatMilk
09-16-2010, 03:19 AM
I think Gasol could have a chance. The Lakers retired Worthy's number and he no better than a number two option for his career. Also, I'm sure the Celtics will retire Pierce's number. They retire so many numbers so I can't see them not retiring #34. The 76ers may retire Iverson's but who knows.

Worthy is in the HOF
Lakers only retire hall of famers

I think Pau will make the hall so he'll get it retired. even if the lakers didnt have that rule, he'd get it retired

abe_froman
09-16-2010, 03:51 AM
I don't think it's weak at all. If a player meant that much to a franchise why would they disrespect them by giving their number away if they planned on retiring it? Look at the 49ers. Jerry Rice's jersey for whatever reason still hasn't been retired but NO ONE has worn it. That's respect.

because there are rifts and some owners dont apply that type of respect until/unless a player is retired.it doesnt mean that player will never get his number retired.

and its not always disrespectful,some players dont care,i'm pretty sure when wallace rejoined the pistons he could have made it an issue...but he didnt.not every player does.

some work that way,by holding jersey's off and some dont.like crooner pointed out,13 was still in circulation by the lakers after wilt,by your logic,the lakers cant/didnt/wont retire his number for him...even though they did