PDA

View Full Version : Brook Lopez: On Making Team USA In 2012

MFFL==FML
09-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Considering he couldn't play this summer for Team USA but he is one the best young American centers we have today (probably the 2nd best American center), what would you say Brook Lopez's chances are in making the 2012 team? Are they just as good if not any better than anyone else on this summer's roster not named Kevin Durant?

Khalifa21
09-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I would think so.

He plays a lot like a euro big and he's a big body. Having him backing up Dwight isn't too bad.

MFFL==FML
09-14-2010, 05:37 PM
I would think so.

He plays a lot like a euro big and he's a big body. Having him backing up Dwight isn't too bad.

I have to agree, but the fact we went with one true center this summer scares me a bit because I hope they don't do the same thing and load up on PGs/SGs in 2012.

I think Lopez would be a better starting center for Team USA than Lopez considering how the game is played (obviously Howard > Lopez though).

Young and Stupid
09-14-2010, 05:46 PM
I have to agree, but the fact we went with one true center this summer scares me a bit because I hope they don't do the same thing and load up on PGs/SGs in 2012.

I think Lopez would be a better starting center for Team USA than Lopez considering how the game is played (obviously Howard > Lopez though).

I assume you mean Lopez would be a better starting center than Dwight. As someone who watched Brook a lot last season (Nets fan) I'd have to disagree with you. Lopez is a proficient low-post scorer with the ability to stretch the floor and run an effective pick-n-roll. He is a poor interior defender a well-below average rebounder for his size and not too quick on his feet.

The USA team is filled with athleticism, Lopez would not be a good fit with the team because the things that the team lacks (defense and rebounding) are not Brook's strong-points.

It should be noted that: the reason he didn't play with the team this summer was because he was suffering from mono.

VinceCarter
09-14-2010, 05:58 PM
I assume you mean Lopez would be a better starting center than Dwight. As someone who watched Brook a lot last season (Nets fan) I'd have to disagree with you. Lopez is a proficient low-post scorer with the ability to stretch the floor and run an effective pick-n-roll. He is a poor interior defender a well-below average rebounder for his size and not too quick on his feet.

The USA team is filled with athleticism, Lopez would not be a good fit with the team because the things that the team lacks (defense and rebounding) are not Brook's strong-points.

It should be noted that: the reason he didn't play with the team this summer was because he was suffering from mono.

Oh come on fellow Net fan. Don't you think by 2012 he will have improved significantly? He still has potential to become the undisputed #2 center in the league.

I think by 2012 he should be fine for team USA.

jackdawson
09-14-2010, 06:06 PM
YES, without a question he will be the best backup for Dwight.

Iggz53
09-14-2010, 06:07 PM
His game fits international play really well.

heattiltheend94
09-14-2010, 06:26 PM
He is becoming a great player. He will get the rebounds needed for the USA team. Also, who would take his place? (As backup Center)

D Roses Bulls
09-14-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm probably the only one on this site that isn't in love with brook lopez. injuries or not to devin harris..... with lopez playing they still only won 12 games. it's not like harris was hurt the whole season or anything. I think lopez's numbers are solid because he is playing for a bad team so he gets more opportunities. Think of it this way, if he was so good, why wasn't he even a consideration for the all star game by the coaches. don't get me wrong, he's a solid player, but he is way over hyped. it reminds me a lot of when elton brand use to play with the bulls. he was a 20 and 10 guy and every team he went to after, he put up descent numbers, but never made a huge impact or could fit in really well.

kingKhan24
09-14-2010, 06:35 PM
stud

Forbo
09-14-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm probably the only one on this site that isn't in love with brook lopez. injuries or not to devin harris..... with lopez playing they still only won 12 games. it's not like harris was hurt the whole season or anything. I think lopez's numbers are solid because he is playing for a bad team so he gets more opportunities. Think of it this way, if he was so good, why wasn't he even a consideration for the all star game by the coaches. don't get me wrong, he's a solid player, but he is way over hyped. it reminds me a lot of when elton brand use to play with the bulls. he was a 20 and 10 guy and every team he went to after, he put up descent numbers, but never made a huge impact or could fit in really well.

If anything that makes him a better player..if they know who the best player is on a bad team all they have to do is double up and if they doubled up and he put up those number then thats great.

D Roses Bulls
09-14-2010, 06:48 PM
If anything that makes him a better player..if they know who the best player is on a bad team all they have to do is double up and if they doubled up and he put up those number then thats great.

then how do you explain Elton Brand in 99-00? I guess then Elton Brand was a great player.

nyanks79
09-14-2010, 06:57 PM
In 2 years, I wouldnt be surprised if Cousins got some legit looks.

Robbw241
09-14-2010, 07:00 PM

This is exactly what happened last year. Teams would laugh at Lee and Jarvis Hayes and just double team him whenever they could.

VinceCarter
09-14-2010, 08:48 PM
then how do you explain Elton Brand in 99-00? I guess then Elton Brand was a great player.

Elton Brand was a stud all the way up to 06-07 on the Clippers.

Did you forget? :confused:

D Roses Bulls
09-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Elton Brand was a stud all the way up to 06-07 on the Clippers.

Did you forget? :confused:

not really...... he was pretty good, but I wouldnt go as far as calling him stud. look how many times he's been in the playoffs and its not like exactly he played on horrible teams either.

VinceCarter
09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
not really...... he was pretty good, but I wouldnt go as far as calling him stud. look how many times he's been in the playoffs and its not like exactly he played on horrible teams either.

Didn't a knee injury send him downhill. That guy was a stud and some injury ended it if I remember correctly.

Not a good comparison.

Chill_Will_24
09-14-2010, 10:46 PM
I think he'll make it just cuz theres not too many good centers besides him and Dwight for team USA. He'll improve a lot by then thou. He"ll make the team. They tried so hard not to cut him from team USA this time. He played like crap and McGee outplayed him and still got cut. Brook only got cut cuz he wasnt completely over his bout with Mono

D Roses Bulls
09-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Didn't a knee injury send him downhill. That guy was a stud and some injury ended it if I remember correctly.

Not a good comparison.

dude they are starting out pretty much the same way..... on crappy teams, same position, but brand averaged a double double his first couple years, dont think lopez has, but didnt check the stats. brand hurt his knee when he signed with the sixers so that was pretty recent. so before that, you cant make any excuses for him.

VinceCarter
09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
dude they are starting out pretty much the same way..... on crappy teams, same position, but brand averaged a double double his first couple years, dont think lopez has, but didnt check the stats. brand hurt his knee when he signed with the sixers so that was pretty recent. so before that, you cant make any excuses for him.

He missed most of the 2007–08 NBA season due to a ruptured left Achilles' tendon. However, Brand made his return to the Clippers' lineup April 2, 2008 after being out since the end of the previous season. He contributed 19 points in his return. He only played in 8 games that season.

:eyebrow:

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elton_Brand#Redemption_Year)

imagesrdecievin
09-14-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm probably the only one on this site that isn't in love with brook lopez. injuries or not to devin harris..... with lopez playing they still only won 12 games. it's not like harris was hurt the whole season or anything.

Harris was hurt the first 30 games and then never regained his form after that. Personally I think he was a little overweight/out of shape.

I think lopez's numbers are solid because he is playing for a bad team so he gets more opportunities.

He's a 19 ppg at a shade below 50%fg. He put up those numbers with no other threats on the team. He faced constant double teams and also had no coach. He scored 19ppg in spite of being on a bad team not because of it. Please don't confuse Lopez with a volume shooting wing player on a bad team.

Think of it this way, if he was so good, why wasn't he even a consideration for the all star game by the coaches. don't get me wrong, he's a solid player, but he is way over hyped. it reminds me a lot of when elton brand use to play with the bulls. he was a 20 and 10 guy and every team he went to after, he put up descent numbers, but never made a huge impact or could fit in really well.

Elton Brand was a really good player before he got injured. Nobody ever confused him with a superstar however(I don't think anyone confuses Lopez for one either).

Lopez is a very skilled 7 footer with back to the basket skills. These types of players are extremely rare and that's why he gets the credit he does. He would be a very good addition to the US team.

Forbo
09-15-2010, 12:11 AM
I think he'll make it just cuz theres not too many good centers besides him and Dwight for team USA. He'll improve a lot by then thou. He"ll make the team. They tried so hard not to cut him from team USA this time. He played like crap and McGee outplayed him and still got cut. Brook only got cut cuz he wasnt completely over his bout with Mono

Well the thing is Brook was never cut. He dropped out due to not being at his form.

jkiddvc20
09-15-2010, 12:37 AM

If anything like others have said that would make him a better player. I mean when its him on the team who is he going to kick the ball out to. Courtney Lee, Kris Humphries, or maybe even the great Yi. The fact that he played that well without a coach and without a supporting cast give or take Harris is pretty good if you ask me.

Antipod
09-15-2010, 03:23 AM
If no other obvious YOUNG candidates, yes, he has a good chance

MFFL==FML
09-15-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm just curious if not Brook Lopez, then who?

D-Leethal
09-15-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't see him fitting with the scheme that Coach K has implemented.......you don't need 7 footers in International ball, keep in mind they were playing Odom as their starting C this year, I see Dwight/Amare/Lee making it before him and thats just right off the top of my head