PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs - Conference Finals: 1 Dallas Mavericks vs Los Angeles Lakers

Catfish1314
09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Every summer, PSD holds an NBA Mock Offseason. Exactly what it sounds like, this game is a mock of the real 2010 offseason which starts off from the date the Lakers won the NBA Championship. Posters on PSD act as the GMs of assigned teams and they make trades, draft players, and sign free agents to try to create the best team. These are the Mock NBA Playoffs.

This Western Conference Finals match-up features the top seeded Dallas Mavericks versus the 2nd seeded Los Angeles Lakers. The Mavericks have home-court advantage.

Vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series. Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Mavericks:

C-Andrew Bynum/DeSagana Diop
PF-Dirk Nowitzki/Leon Powe
SF-Grant Hill/James Posey
SG-Ray Allen/Michael Finley
PG-Deron Williams/Greg Buckner

Lakers:

C-Marcus Camby/Rasho Nesterovic
PF-Lamar Odom/Luke Harangody
SF-Rasual Butler/Peja Stojakovic/Luke Walton/Devin Ebanks
SG-Kobe Bryant/Shannon Brown
PG-Chris Paul/Derek Fisher

Mavericks Write-up:

PG: Deron Williams vs. Chris Paul. I donít really think I can say much here. The leagues 2 best PGís will likely go at it all game. I think at the moment most people would take Deron, however I will not judge anyone from going the other way. The important thing is both kind of cancel each other out.

SG: Ray Allen vs. Kobe Bryant. Itís pretty obvious LA will win here. Ray is no slouch but I donít expect him to light up Kobe or shut him down. Ray is an above average defender and I do expect him to stick with Kobe and hinder him a bit. Kobe is going to do work but letís not forget he dropped in almost every statistical category last year. He also has a significantly downgraded front court to take pressure off him on both ends of the floor. Since I donít really fear Rasual, Hill may occasionally come on the double team if Kobe is hurting us bad.

SF: Grant Hill vs. Rasual Butler. Ok PG is up to you in most cases probably a wash. SG goes to the Lakers. I believe this is where we start to take over with clear advantages in the next 3 matchups. Grant hill was a great role player for that suns team last year. And he should be very efficient as my 5th option guarding a one dimensional Butler.

PF: Dirk Nowitzki vs. Lamar Odom. Odom is one of the most inconsistent players in the NBA its not a big secret. Dirk is also one of the toughest players to match up on. Lamar is going to get beat around all game.

C: Andrew Bynum vs. Marcus Camby. Bynum clearly wins here as well. Camby is going to have a tough time bodying Bynum. Bynum will lose no sleep guarding Camby and shouldnít have a hard time banging down low with him.

Summary: PG is a wash. My Bigís destroy his bigís. Hill beats Butler, and Kobe clearly beats Allen but may see some double teams and he has slowed down a bit. I wish I could have done a better write up but time is short. I think the question for voters is can Kobe beat my team without a legit offensive big man. People go back and remind yourselves how well Kobe did imbetween Shaq and Pau. Then add on the fact he is a little older. Also Paul and Kobe are both ball dominating players. I think my team would have better chemistry as Deron can comfortably be our field general while allowing Dirk, Bynum, and Ray to do what they do best.
Lakers Write-up:

At this point, I think it would be unnecessary to repeat everything Iíve already said. That might happen if this team is able to push forward to the finals. Iíll keep this short and simple for this write-up, simply moving straight into the head to head matchups. Iíll make them a bit longer then they were in the last one because of the simple fact that I wonít have a large opening breaking down various things.

Point Guard Ė Chris Paul vs. Deron Williams

Both are one and two in the point guard rankings, with Chris Paul leading my personal list. Heís able to make everyone around him better then they might actually be. While Deron Williams had size on Chris Paul, Paul has quickness, basically balances out that advantage. Some people continue to think that Chris Paul wonít work with Kobe Bryant; however I canít see that not working. I understand that both generally have the ball a lot, however Bryant being the best NBA player should be able to adapt. Honestly the reason Bryant handles the ball as much as he does is because he doesnít have a true point guard next to him. They both are too good of players to let that kind of trouble happen, while being the playoffs that would mean they already would have a season to work out the kinks. Look for Chris Paul to drive into the lane plenty of times to draw out the defense a bit, allowing him to use Marcus Camby as a Tyson Chandler type player.

Shooting Guard Ė Kobe Bryant vs. Ray Allen

Iím going to hear that Ray Allen is one of the best shooters in NBA history and he provides decent defense. Well Kobe Bryant is the best player in the entire NBA. I expect Byrant to play good defense on Ray Allen, while still putting up his 28-30 PPG, while also creating opportunities for others. Having that killer instinct with little time left is something huge, itís always needed on a team. Not too much more I can say about this matchup, other then Bryant is the clear cut favorite to bring a better game to the table. Bryant on the wing will only open up the games of the rest of the starting lineup by drawing attention off of them. At times expect the Mavericks to try to roll coverage to Kobe Bryant, allowing everyone else to have more chances to produce. As I said in my last write-up, ďIíd like to think that Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant is like a defensive front seven in football, always able to make the secondary look better.Ē

Small Forward Ė Rasual Butler vs. Grant Hill

Both players shouldnít have a huge effect on the game; Iíd call them close to even. Butler provides a solid outside shot from the three point line. While Grant Hill put up similar numbers to Butler, and Iíll hear the argument that he played on a better team. Iíll throw out the argument that he also played on a fast paced team. Most people will say that Hill is the better player, but number wise they were pretty close.

Power Forward Ė Lamar Odom vs. Dirk Nowitzki

Honestly I feel pretty comfortable with this matchup. Lamar Odom is a legit seven footer; heís like Kevin Garnett in how heís listed smaller. Odom has the mobile ability to stick with Dirk wherever he goes. I canít say that I expect to shut down Dirk completely, but Odom being mobile and quick will allow him to cause a bit of trouble. Odom down in the post should be able to put up some solid numbers against Dirk, while also being the better rebounding player. Once again, Iíd also like to bring up the point where people were saying that Lamar Odom disappeared in the playoffs, which I completely disagree with. These godly advanced statistics to some people back up my point, his PER went from 15.9 to 15.4. His TS% and eFG% dropped .019 and .007. Unfortunately, that seems to be the only way that people understand a point these days. Having Marcus Camby on the weak side help doesnít hurt, him being one of the best at it.

Center Ė Marcus Camby vs. Andrew Bynum

Bynum to Camby is a small upgrade IMO but offensively Camby is crap and voters will think Camby is a far downgrade from Bynum.

Interesting when the GM himself thinks that Marcus Camby is better, however I fully expect it to be the opposite in the write-up. Iíd do the same exact thing if I was him too, but his true feeling is that Marcus Camby is better. Iím aware that most people are going to see that Andrew Bynum is better; the spotlight has been on him for years. However rebounding wise Marcus Camby is the better player, actually one of the best rebounders in the NBA, top 3. Bynum might have weight on him, but Camby has long arms and is a more intelligent defensive player. Defensively Iíd say they are close to even and the advanced statistics that Ebbs loves so much proves it.

Bench:

People were saying that my bench was complete trash; however I disagree to a certain extent. Derek Fisher is a very good option behind Chris Paul, someone who can bring clutch shooting and can handle any type of offense. A sharp shooter off the bench is needed on every championship team. Shannon Brown will be seeing time at shooting guard, with his size at 6í4 210 he shouldnít have any problem with that. While Peja is another sharp shooter off the bench, very solid last season with the Hornets. He was able to put up 12.6 PPG, and should fit perfectly as a backup behind Butler. While Luke might be a rookie, he has an NBA ready game. He has a built body for the NBA, at least off the bench, reminds me of Blair on the Spurs. While Rasho is a large body off the bench, someone who is able to bang down low while Marcus Camby is out of the game.

Joshtd1
09-14-2010, 02:27 PM
I actually think the Lakers matchup good with the Mavs here. I think they would end up taking this one

Baller1
09-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Dallas in 7 because of home court advantage.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
lakers in 7. pretty even matchups all around. in the end it comes down to who wants it more. the black mamba!!!

Mile High Champ
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
I have never seen a GM quote another GM in his write up before. That was interesting. I am torn on this one to be honest..

Niro
09-14-2010, 02:58 PM
dallas because of hca and theit bigs...bynum and dirk are too much for odom and camby

kArSoN RyDaH
09-14-2010, 03:01 PM
odom averaged almost 10 rebounds (9.8) coming off the bench. imagine what he does as starter with more minutes? not to mention he has the ability to get to the basket.

Ebbs
09-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Not going to defend the quote WB made but let's just say there were alterior motives when I said that. Also Its a pm long deleted but WB said Bynum to Bogut was barely an upgrade so take nothing away from this other that when healthy Bynum is a top 5 C

JermanJaysFan
09-14-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm taking Dallas here. I like the balance of the squad better, and think they would take the Lakers in 7.

Khalifa21
09-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Mavs in 6.

JordansBulls
09-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Every summer, PSD holds an NBA Mock Offseason. Exactly what it sounds like, this game is a mock of the real 2010 offseason which starts off from the date the Lakers won the NBA Championship. Posters on PSD act as the GMs of assigned teams and they make trades, draft players, and sign free agents to try to create the best team. These are the Mock NBA Playoffs.

This Western Conference Finals match-up features the top seeded Dallas Mavericks versus the 2nd seeded Los Angeles Lakers. The Mavericks have home-court advantage.

Vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series. Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Mavericks:

C-Andrew Bynum/DeSagana Diop
PF-Dirk Nowitzki/Leon Powe
SF-Grant Hill/James Posey
SG-Ray Allen/Michael Finley
PG-Deron Williams/Greg Buckner

Lakers:

C-Marcus Camby/Rasho Nesterovic
PF-Lamar Odom/Luke Harangody
SF-Rasual Butler/Peja Stojakovic/Luke Walton/Devin Ebanks
SG-Kobe Bryant/Shannon Brown
PG-Chris Paul/Derek Fisher

Mavericks Write-up:

Lakers Write-up:

I like the Mavs here. They have the inside and the outside game and would own the boards.

Ragun
09-14-2010, 03:58 PM
mavsss

Rivera
09-14-2010, 04:22 PM
lakers

idk abt kobe doubling up grant hill like u posted in ur writeup lol....i think rasul butler can hold his own vs grant hill and i actually think lamar odom is actually an underrated defender....dirk will work for his 20

bynum vs camby - that will b a nice matchup but does bynum get the ball enough to make this a sizeable advantage??? i dont think so

at the end of the day these 2 teams match up very well but the DEAL BREAKER FOR ME IS:

in the clutch when the game really matters....i trust cp3/KOBE more than i would trust dwill/dirk....both of those 2 has failed in BIG moments before

so lakers in 7

o btw can the lakers get a seed?

Ebbs
09-14-2010, 04:24 PM
lol at that statement. Dirk has a higher % of game winners then Kobe. Kobe has missed the most game winners of all time... Although its a stupid stat I just had to laugh at that.

Catfish1314
09-14-2010, 04:31 PM
o btw can the lakers get a seed?

They are the 2nd seed. That's my fault; I just forgot to enter it.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-14-2010, 04:38 PM
lol at that statement. Dirk has a higher % of game winners then Kobe. Kobe has missed the most game winners of all time... Although its a stupid stat I just had to laugh at that.

he also has the most game winners of all time :rolleyes:

Ebbs
09-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Yea but what the guy said just made me laugh. He was acting like Dirk was a choke artist or some BS.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Yea but what the guy said just made me laugh. He was acting like Dirk was a choke artist or some BS.

oh okay. lol.

yeah idk this match up is close to call.

camby- averaged 10 rpg 6 ppg

bynum- 6.9 rpg 8.6 ppg

i wouldnt say bynum is the clear cut favorite

dirk has odom on offense but on the boards and defense odom has him

dirk-per 36 mins- 7.3 rpg TRB%- 11.7
odom- per 36 mins- 11.2 rpg TRB%-17.3(as a bench player)

even with elevated play by dirk in the playoffs he still doesnt match odoms 8.6 rpg in the playoffs.

so im not sure where this common misperception that the mavericks are going to completely own the boards came from when the lakers clearly have them outrebounded on the PF and C position.

SG- Kobe vs Ray

kobes a clutch scorer and can still get his points which to me negates the fact that dirk outscores odom. kobes defense on ray would be key. hes a shut down defender when he wants to be and showed it in the playoffs. he shut down westbrook and rondo and im sure allen wouldnt be a problem at all for him.

PG paul vs williams

these two guys offensive categories are practically identical so it would come down to the defense each plays and the help defense.

during the regular season williams has paul in defensive win shares but in the playoffs dwill is absolutely a ghost. last year his DWS was -.1 as was CP3. so idk how this one would fare. practically identical.

bench: fisher coming off the bench has to be a big plus for the lakers. his clutch shooting and tough defense despite not being able to guard quick guards is a plus. Peja is still a reliable shooter. shannon brown brings that electrifying energy to the team and he is an excellent defender.

i still say lakers in 7.

anyone who thinks otherwise is obviously a "ruhtard" :p

Ebbs
09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Lol dude you took Bynums playoff numbers where he was hurt and played limited minutes. Look at his regular season numbers.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Lol dude you took Bynums playoff numbers where he was hurt and played limited minutes. Look at his regular season numbers.

ahhh my mistake. in all fairness, those were cambys playoff #s as well

camby- per 36 mins. 8.1 ppg 12.8 rpg

bynum- per 36 mins. 17.8 ppg 9 rpg

again, i think kobes scoring and defense is key. playing help defense on dwill and scoring is what will put the lakers over the top. kobes scoring is elevated in playoffs (a la pheonix series).

again, this series is a lot closer than it seems. the lakers OUTREBOUND the mavs. clearly!!

Westbrook36
09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Not going to defend the quote WB made but let's just say there were alterior motives when I said that. Also Its a pm long deleted but WB said Bynum to Bogut was barely an upgrade so take nothing away from this other that when healthy Bynum is a top 5 C

You kept acting like Bogut was the next coming of the lord himself, while I simply disagree. Bogut played quite well last season, however it was for one season. He's had his troubles with injuries and various other things too.

Westbrook36
09-14-2010, 05:34 PM
I like the Mavs here. They have the inside and the outside game and would own the boards.

You do realize that both of my players are better rebounding players though, correct? By owning the boards that would mean that you are implying that they would be better at that. Just a bit puzzled at this statement to be quite honest, but my argument seems invalid at this point with the large increase in votes they have.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-14-2010, 05:41 PM
i do think voters are just looking at the names here and not voting based on the facts. sadly, the mavs are going to win this one due to ignorance on the voters part.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
camby- defensive win shares is ranked 13th in the NBA.

bynum- not top 20.

cmon people.

Ebbs
09-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Lol buddy GTFO . . . If your actually going to try and tell me name value is the factor here when they have Kobe, and CP3 you need to wake up. There are lots of reasons that you could argue my team would win, and vice versa for WB. I think that you try to say its voter ignorance just reflects poorly on you. If you have been on PSD awhile then you would know there were alot of respected NBA posters voting on both sides.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Lol buddy GTFO . . . If your actually going to try and tell me name value is the factor here when they have Kobe, and CP3 you need to wake up. There are lots of reasons that you could argue my team would win, and vice versa for WB. I think that you try to say its voter ignorance just reflects poorly on you. If you have been on PSD awhile then you would know there were alot of respected NBA posters voting on both sides.

at first glance the mavs have the name value. nowitzki bynum dwill all top names at their respective positions. ray allen a well known name. grant hill is well known for his defense.

you cant tell me kobe and cp3 have more name power than those 5.

not trying to take away from the team or to disrespect voters but thats what i think it is coming down to because of the fact that the lakers have a better rebounding team. its no secret. the facts are facts.

i do know there is a lot of respected posters on both sides but there are also some voters who do just look at the names. and not the facts bc if they looked at the facts the votes would be a lot closer. its not a blowout victory for the mavs like it seems to be. this series would go 7 games. so idk.

Rivera
09-14-2010, 07:00 PM

kobe has wayyy more game winners than dirk

dirk has the most career buzzer beaters in november and december...when it comes playoff times CHOKE.....#1 seed up 2-0 in the finals cant get the job done???? SMH

#1 seed dirk MVP best record....loose to #8 golden state in a 7 game series

when the pressure really is high in may june n july u cant find dirk jason terry takes more clutch shots when it really counts in the playoffs than dirk

Ebbs
09-14-2010, 07:22 PM
No jet doesn't lol... You can't just spout off BS and expect people to buy it especily mavs fans...

Dallas lost in the finals for 2 reasons
-refs
-wade
had nothing to do with Dirk choking.

As for G-state it wasn't just Dirk it was no secret going into the series that G-state had our number. If you remeber they were the only team who sweeper us that season. It didn't take a genius to see the Mavs just matched up very poorly against that squad.

Westbrook36
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Comeback central baby ;)

kArSoN RyDaH
09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
down by 12. i dont understand this.

Westbrook36
09-14-2010, 08:23 PM
down by 12. i dont understand this.

I thought it would be a lot closer then this..

SouthSideRookie
09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
No jet doesn't lol... You can't just spout off BS and expect people to buy it especily mavs fans...

-refs
-wade

As for G-state it wasn't just Dirk it was no secret going into the series that G-state had our number. If you remeber they were the only team who sweeper us that season. It didn't take a genius to see the Mavs just matched up very poorly against that squad.

Yeah I tell you, too bad the refs changed their minds after game 2.:facepalm:

The Mavericks had a 2-0 lead in the series, in game 3 they had a double digit lead late in the game, and with a chance to grab a stranglehold of the series GUESS WHO MISSED A FREETHROW that would of tied the game with 3.4 seconds left, that was the turning point of the series.

BillyHoyle35
09-14-2010, 08:45 PM
i voted dallas, the bigs make up the difference between kobe and ray allen leaving the matchup of d-will v CP3, i went with d-will since through their careers he has been on top of this head-to-head matchup, i think its 11-3.

Rivera
09-14-2010, 08:46 PM

-refs
-wade

umm yes terry does dirk comes up short in the playoffs comes up big in november n december and as for golden state....STEVEN JACKSON LOCKED DOWN DIRK

o yea the refs sure screwed u guys being down 2-0

dirk doesnt show up when his team needs him the most

KnicksorBust
09-14-2010, 10:07 PM
The one thing that is interesting is that I think the Lakers have a better counter for Dirk (with Lamar Odom) than the Mavericks do with Kobe (Ray-Ray/ Grant "over the" Hill). That being said I still like the Mavs. I have a feeling Deron would be an absolute monster in this series and at least the Mavericks attempted to put together a backup frontcourt.

zambo4president
09-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Dallas no doubt. I hate what westbrook did to the Lakers.

Avenged
09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
I was going to say Dallas in 5, but the Lakers have Kobe and CP3 on the same team, so i'll still go with the Mavs but in 6.

I was reluctant to go with them though since their bench is really weak, more-so than the Lakers in my opinion. But their starting 5 is really, really good.

aussie
09-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Cp3

Westbrook36
09-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Dallas no doubt. I hate what westbrook did to the Lakers.

Which is perfectly fine, but it seems like you didn't bother to look at anything, other then I changed the Lakers. It would have been far too boring to stick with the same exact team or simply make one or two trades. Not everyone is going to like the team you created, but I honestly was very pleased with the team that was created.

lakers4sho
09-15-2010, 12:34 AM
How are these people able to make such ridiculous trades for these players?? :shrug:

kArSoN RyDaH
09-15-2010, 02:55 AM
apparently people dont look at the facts and just vote. oh well i give up.