PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs - Conference Finals: 1 Orlando Magic vs. 3 Atlanta Hawks

Catfish1314
09-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Every summer, PSD holds an NBA Mock Offseason. Exactly what it sounds like, this game is a mock of the real 2010 offseason which starts off from the date the Lakers won the NBA Championship. Posters on PSD act as the GMs of assigned teams and they make trades, draft players, and sign free agents to try to create the best team. These are the Mock NBA Playoffs.

This Eastern Conference Finals match-up features the top seeded Orlando Magic versus the 3rd seeded Atlanta Hawks. The Magic have home-court advantage.

Vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series. Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Magic:

C-Dwight Howard/Aaron Gray
PF-Elton Brand/Glen Davis
SF-Marvin Williams/Jerry Stackhouse
SG-Dwyane Wade/Ronald Murray/Antoine Wright
PG-Jameer Nelson/Eddie House

Hawks:

C-Andrew Bogut/Joe Smith/Hamady NíDiaye
PF-Antawn Jamison/Gani Lawal
SF-Trevor Ariza/Josh Childress
SG-Joe Johnson/Tracy McGrady/Avery Bradley
PG-Stephen Curry/Beno Udrih/Willie Warren

Magic Write-up:

Before we break down the series, we would like to congratulate MacFitz and Randomness on advancing to the Conference Finals. They have built one heck of a team and we wish them the best of luck.

Frontcourt:

The Hawks feature a versatile starting frontline between Andrew Bogut and Antawn Jamison. Bogut is coming off the best season of his career, but he is still no match for Dwight Howard. Bogut is clearly the more polished offensive player and is by no means a slouch defensively, but Howard's superior mobility and power will give him the upperhand in this match-up just as it did in the regular season. His wider body and superior rebounding will also limit a breakable Bogut in this series.

Antawn Jamison, for all his strong-points, was proven to be incredibly ineffective with the Cavaliers last season. Like the real-life Cavs, the Hawks are loaded with ball-handlers and shoot-first players. For Jamison to produce, he needs to be on a team where is getting a huge chunk of touches offensively. Between Elton Brand and Glen Davis, we will have no problem keeping Jamisonís production to a minimum while scoring at the other end.

The Hawks have solid depth at SF, but all we need Marvin Williams to do in this series is hold his own.

Backcourt:

This is the toughest backcourt we have faced in the postseason, but we still hold the advantage. Joe Johnson has fizzled out in the playoffs for two years in a row now. Dwyane Wade carried, to put it mildly, an extremely mediocre team into the playoffs as a 5th seed. He dominated the best defensive unit in the league through five games and did so as really the only major threat to score. It is frightening to imagine what he could do to this Hawks defense with the presence of Dwight Howard to lean on.

The match-up between Jameer Nelson and Stephen Curry is far more compelling. Playoff experience or not, Curry is a sharpshooter and a crafty playmaker. That said, his defensive abilities leave much to be desired and Jameer is coming off a 19 and 5 postseason where he shot the ball almost 40 percent from deep. He outplayed Ray Felton and hung with Rajon Rondo in the ECF against Boston. Having torched much better defenders at times in the playoffs, lighting Curry up will be no problem.

With Wade and Nelson glued to Johnson and Curry, and Howard lurking around the rim, we will limit both of them to jumpshots, jumpshots, and more jumpshots.

Conclusion:

No doubt this is an excellent Hawks team. Their appearance in the ECF alone confirms that. But as much firepower as they boast on offense, we boast more. Defensively, Howard is a game-changer and his size and shot-blocking prowess will prevent Curry and Johnson from getting their points at the rim. Offensively, the combination of Wade and Howard has been too potent in the first two rounds and that does not change here. Home-court advantage only ices the cake for us. Magic in 6.

Hawks Write-up:

C: Andrew Bogut(36)/Joe Smith(12)
PF: Antawn Jamison(33)/Joe Smith(8)/Josh Childress(7)
SF: Trevor Ariza(32)/Josh Childress(12)/Tracy McGrady(4)
SG: Joe Johnson(35)/Tracy McGrady(11)/Stephen Curry(2)
PG: Stephen Curry(32)/Beno Udrih(16)

Backcourt: Stephen Curry/Joe Johnson vs. Jameer Nelson/Dwyane Wade

Both teams have sick backcourts. We feel Stephen has the slight edge on Jameer as Wade has the slight edge on Joe Johnson. Another thing to note is that in this matchup we have the far superior size as Joe Johnson is 3 inches taller than Wade and Curry is 3 inches taller than Nelson. Although that only means so much, we feel the backcourts are very close, and it could be unfair to call it either way.

Edge: Wash

Small Forward: Trevor Ariza vs. Marvin Williams

Both are solid defenders, but Ariza has the experience, and is a better scorer. We feel both players defense are good, but Ariza wins the matchup because he brings more to the table on offense.

Edge: Atlanta Hawks

Frontcourt: Antawn Jamison/Andrew Bogut vs. Elton Brand/Dwight Howard

This matchup is very close as well. The Orlando Magic clearly have the best center in the league, but we have a top 3 center as well, who was extremely similar in production to Dwight last year. At power forward, we have a solid scorer who can put up 20ppg if in the right situation (Which believe he is in), but the Magic have a very unattractive starter who hasnít lived up to his contract which has basically lead Philly to try and dump him at the cost of losing talent. We feel that the this is even as well, and is just a matter of opinion.

Edge: Wash

Bench:

We have 3 borderline starters in Beno Udrih, Josh Childress, and Tracy McGrady. Orlando has a below average bench, and we feel this could be the deciding factor in a 7 game series

Edge: Atlanta Hawks

Baller1
09-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Magic in 6.

Mile High Champ
09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I like how th hawks tried to talk down Brand when they themselves have an over payed PF in Jamison who is coming off his worst year in a while.

Niro
09-14-2010, 02:57 PM
magic for me

Rivera
09-14-2010, 03:07 PM
still not even close......orlando!!!!

i soo wish that was the orlando magic real team cause that team is sexxxxxyyyyy

Mile High Champ
09-14-2010, 03:10 PM
still not even close......orlando!!!!

i soo wish that was the orlando magic real team cause that team is sexxxxxyyyyy

When my Co and I put it together, we knew we had created something awesome. Howard and Wade is Scary!

Ebbs
09-14-2010, 03:19 PM
OmGz HoWARd nD WadE!!!!

pebloemer
09-14-2010, 03:20 PM
I actually really like Atlanta's team. Bogut is a decent matchup against Howard and the backcourt can match much of Orlando's firepower.

HOWEVER:

The better defensive team will win a matchup like this. The Hawks could be a good defensive team, but Orlando can be great defensive team. Dwight and Wade take it.

Khalifa21
09-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Magic run away with this one. Magic in 5.

JordansBulls
09-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Magic in a sweep.

Mile High Champ
09-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Magic in a sweep.

I like this.. haha :D

Ragun
09-14-2010, 03:57 PM
magic!

Catfish1314
09-14-2010, 04:33 PM
When Catfish's sexy *** and I put it together, we knew we had created something awesome. Howard and Wade is Scary!

Fixed.

MacFitz92
09-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Looks like this is a run away like I expected.

Something to think about. We both dumped contracts in hopes of landing major FAs. Orlando landed one, I didn't. I dumped Okur, Rip, Crawford, and Bibby in effort to get two major FAs, and it didn't work out. Bounced back and made it to the ECF. Pretty impressive.

Nevertheless, good job Catfish, and good luck in the Finals.

Catfish1314
09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Same to you, Mac. :)

Two times I thought you guys had really messed up but both times you recovered and got to the ECF. It is pretty impressive.

xILLN355
09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
orlando without a doubt haha

KnicksorBust
09-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Magic.

zambo4president
09-14-2010, 10:30 PM
I got the Hawks. But no surprise everyone freaks out seeing Howard and Wade together :pity:

Avenged
09-14-2010, 10:50 PM
The Hawks don't really have that 1 player to elevate them in the playoffs. Joe Johnson is good, but he's not beating the Magic with the team he has around him. Bogut is also good, but compare JJ/Bogut to Wade/Dwight, I think the answer is pretty clear. Not to mention they have a better bench than the Hawks..

Plus, Dwight has carried his team to the Finals before, and Jameer who is their starting PG had a great season that year + we all know Wade's historic performance for the championship a couple years ago..

Magic in 4.

Catfish1314
09-14-2010, 11:16 PM
I got the Hawks. But no surprise everyone freaks out seeing Howard and Wade together :pity:

Your sensitivity is hilarious.

nuggetsyankees
09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
ZOMG definitely ORL