PDA

View Full Version : Dylan McIlrath getting some compliments

SLY WILLIAMS
09-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Other standouts on Sunday were McIlrath, the Blueshirts' 2010 first-round draft pick, and Lee Baldwin, another undrafted player who signed with the Rangers after his college season at Alaska-Anchorage ended last spring.

McIlrath made some outstanding plays in his own end, including one after breaking his stick in the third period. On that play, the stickless McIlrath checked Carolina first-rounder Jeff Skinner into the boards and then came back to clear the zone with a hand pass to one of the Rangers forwards.

"McIlrath had two major 2-on-1's against them and he handled them really well," said Clark. "That's what we're looking for in this kind of a tournament. Some players are going to show you if they have a shot at pushing somebody in the NHL camp, and the other guys are just showing you that they're taking steps towards dealing with the pace and getting better, because they are only 18 years old."

McIlrath's defensive play showed some improvement from another solid performance in the win over Columbus.

"I did feel more comfortable after just getting my feet wet in that last game in trying to figure out the pace," said McIlrath. "In this game, I was a little bit more in my comfort zone and just took it from there and played my role."

McIlrath also drew praise from the team captain.

Rangers 2010 third-round draft pick Andrew Yogan created some nice scoring opportunities, particularly with his backhand, but he was one of several players who hit the post in what proved to be a game of inches against Carolina goaltender Mike Murphy.

"I like him a lot," McDonagh said of his pairing with McIlrath. "He's a good kid to play with. He's solid, and I like that he talks a lot out there on the ice. I think we complement each other pretty well."http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=537288&navid=DL|NYR|home

Rangers in 7
09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
yay!!! i wont lie i didnt like the pick, i just hope he pans out and becomes a great dmen

redwhiteandblue
09-13-2010, 06:32 PM
I like that McD already likes playing with him. Wouldn't it be nice if our D-problems were getting these guys enough ice? A d corpse of Staal-Girardi MDZ-and whoever and a 3rd pairing of McD and Rath would be very nice.