PDA

View Full Version : Would overtime in NBA be more exciting if it was a sudden death like other sports?

LTBaByyy
09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncdwRIJohSY&feature=player_embedded

Youll understand more after watching that ^^^^^

I was just thinking about the sudden death overtime against the blue and white squads of the worlds, and it ended on a alley oop by Chandler after a loose ball and it was way more exciting than waiting till the end of an overtime in the NBA.

This might be a dumb rule if it actually came true, but i think it would be more more exciting than waiting for the last 10 seconds of an overtime.

Like other sports in football just score a field goal or touchdown and its over, baseball just get one run and its over, hockey just score one goal and its over

This is just a fun thread... thoughts??

JPHX
09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
idk. i think its fine the way it is because scoring in basketball is easier and much more frequent than in other sports like football.

Niro
09-13-2010, 04:36 PM
it would have to be like who scores the first 5 points or something because 1 or 2 is not fair

JordansBulls
09-13-2010, 04:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncdwRIJohSY&feature=player_embedded

Youll understand more after watching that ^^^^^

I was just thinking about the sudden death overtime against the blue and white squads of the worlds, and it ended on a alley oop by Chandler after a loose ball and it was way more exciting than waiting till the end of an overtime in the NBA.

This might be a dumb rule if it actually came true, but i think it would be more more exciting than waiting for the last 10 seconds of an overtime.

Like other sports in football just score a field goal or touchdown and its over, baseball just get one run and its over, hockey just score one goal and its over

This is just a fun thread... thoughts??

No. It is much easier to score a point in basketball than a point in football. Also look at baseball, they still give both teams a shot to win once extra innings happen.

beasted86
09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Sorry man, opens up an even bigger can of worms for the league "fixing" games. (:rolleyes:)

kjoke
09-13-2010, 04:44 PM
they shuld cut overtime to like 2 minutes,

Hustla23
09-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Wow. You might as well just cut it down to whoever wins the tip off.

Bruno
09-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Sudden death is a horrible way to end the game. Exciting? yes. Fair? nayeth.

asandhu23
09-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I think it should be free throws. a team gets to shoot the number of free throws in OT as total fouls committed by the opposing team. same goes for the opposing team, they get to shoot as many free throws as the other team's fouls. which ever team ends with more points wins

nuggetsyankees
09-13-2010, 04:54 PM
not gonna lie, I liked that added intensity and adrenaline but it just seems unfair

JordansBulls
09-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Only way this is good is if fouls aren't allowed and you had to hit a shot to win. It would suck if all you had to do is make a free throw.

dhopisthename
09-13-2010, 04:59 PM
no that would be a weak way to end a game I have no problem with the way overtime is currently constucted

sep11ie
09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Only if they change out the basketballs with bowlingballs.

adidas2307
09-13-2010, 05:05 PM
I think it should be free throws. a team gets to shoot the number of free throws in OT as total fouls committed by the opposing team. same goes for the opposing team, they get to shoot as many free throws as the other team's fouls. which ever team ends with more points wins

I like the free throws idea, however, I don't agree on how many they receive. It should be five free throws for each team. The line-up that's on the floor as time expires, is the line-up that must shoot the first five free throws. If it's let's say, 4-4, then coaches can start to choose one by one players from the bench to take them. So, kinda like the soccer penalty kick situation.

SchyGuy11
09-13-2010, 05:09 PM
don't fix what ain't broke

Khalifa21
09-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I think it's fine as it is... No need to fix something that ain't broke.

king4day
09-13-2010, 05:25 PM
I don't like the idea of tipping off. A player gets the ball, pass, dunk, game over. 5 seconds and OT is done.

thekmp211
09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
lol, no. that's crazy. it takes away from sustained excellence on both sides of the court. it would be insane, haha.

Hustla23
09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Man, they should have like a dunk off.

It would be like soccer penalties except your goalie would be like your center or best shotblocker.

You get 5 guys to try to dunk on the other team's shot blocker.

Best of 5 wins.

drew_ellis_23
09-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Overtime in the NBA should be determined by way of a dunk contest. Shortest whitest guy on each team is the contestant. Your only as good as your weakest link.

llemon
09-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Interesting concept, but I'd have to see a few OT's determined in that fashion to decide.

CBA (the old league) had a concept that I thought would really be interesting, but the NBA would never use.

It was a point system.

Team got a point for every quarter of the game that they outscored the opposition, and 3 points for winning the game.

So the winning could get seven points and the losers none, or winning team could get 4 points, and the losers 3.

Would certainly make every quarter of basketball more interesting, and more important.

But, again, Stern and owners would never buy into that.

IDB Josh M
09-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Do it like Tennis. First to score two baskets in a row wins.

static_inferno
09-13-2010, 05:59 PM
No, overtime in the NBA is fine the way it is. Sudden death is only good for sports like soccer and hockey. Even in football I wish the NFL adopted the college OT rules instead of the sudden death rules they have now.

llemon
09-13-2010, 06:04 PM
No, overtime in the NBA is fine the way it is. Sudden death is only good for sports like soccer and hockey. Even in football I wish the NFL adopted the college OT rules instead of the sudden death rules they have now.

And think of all the sponser money the NBA would lose from the lack of commercials in those eternally stretched out OTs.

Evolution23
09-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Its kind of cool but I like to see back and worth action in OT... One guy scores then another retaliates. etc etc.

Evolution23
09-13-2010, 06:10 PM

It would be like soccer penalties except your goalie would be like your center or best shotblocker.

Best of 5 wins.

LOL can u imagine?

RedRicanoBx
09-13-2010, 06:11 PM
nah its fine just as.... nothing like a buzzer beater in OT

NYKalltheway
09-13-2010, 06:28 PM
sudden death in basketball? that would suck, wouldn't it?

llemon
09-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Interesting concept, but I'd have to see a few OT's determined in that fashion to decide.

CBA (the old league) had a concept that I thought would really be interesting, but the NBA would never use.

It was a point system.

Team got a point for every quarter of the game that they outscored the opposition, and 3 points for winning the game.

So the winning could get seven points and the losers none, or winning team could get 4 points, and the losers 3.

Would certainly make every quarter of basketball more interesting, and more important.

No opinions on that proposed change in the game?

LTBaByyy
09-13-2010, 07:57 PM

Best of 5 wins.

now THAT would be amazing!!!!! basically just like hockey lol

Imagine all the posters and sportscenter top plays that would come from that