PDA

View Full Version : FIBA a better game than NBA?

willsayanything
09-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I must say I enjoy the games without all the timeouts. Believe it or not, the Warriors slogan for the season was, "It's a Great Time Out!" Not even Pat Riley is that bad.

The US v Spain gold medal game was more enjoyable than any NBA game I've seen in years.

The NBA is a televised entertainment based on what used to be a sport. The stars are MUCH more important than the game. The smoke and light shows and ROCK MUSIC are needed to tell us how exciting it is and how pumped we are.

It's tiresome.

whitemamba33
09-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I enjoy watching the NBA.

I also don't believe in overthinking things.

Becks2307
09-13-2010, 04:16 PM
I actually agree with you. the crowds seem really into the games too. That USA vs Spain game was great without all of the crappy theatrics we have in the NBA

HoopsDrive
09-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I won't comment on whether FIBA is better than the NBA but I agree that timeouts are a pain in the ***.

DaBUU
09-13-2010, 04:20 PM
No

Lesser Talent=Less enjoyable games

Blazers#1Fan
09-13-2010, 04:20 PM
naw i love the NBA more! FIBA is BORING..... but i do hate timeouts

willsayanything
09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
I enjoy watching the NBA.

I also don't believe in overthinking things.

I have to agree, as overthinking and complaining (hatin'?) is my drug of choice.

macc
09-13-2010, 04:53 PM
The biggest difference I saw in the FIBA game that I liked better then the NBA is that the refs really let them play. You didn't hear the whistle blow every 20 sec. It was nice to have continous game play.

For them to call a foul, somone really has to get hit. Thats how it should be. All these touch fouls in the NBA drive me nuts. Esp when the best player on your team only plays 5-10 min in the first half of bball.

Khalifa21
09-13-2010, 04:54 PM
No

PBG
09-13-2010, 05:02 PM
seems a lot more physical in fiba, the star players in fiba arent babied, refs dont take over a game in fiba like they do in the nba.

that pretty much sums it all up... fiba is better for the actual sport, nba is better for making stern buku bucks.

Dandaman3487
09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Is FIBA a better game than the NBA. Yes. Is it more marketable or entertaining than the NBA format? No. Its about selling commercials, selling jerseys, and selling luxury boxes. As Wutang once said its all about the C.R.E.A.M "Cash rules everything around me"

thescore53
09-13-2010, 05:14 PM
seems a lot more physical in fiba, the star players in fiba arent babied, refs dont take over a game in fiba like they do in the nba.

that pretty much sums it all up... fiba is better for the actual sport, nba is better for making stern buku bucks.

im guessing you havent watched the tourney :eyebrow:

thekmp211
09-13-2010, 05:15 PM
so fiba basketball is more entertaining because the nba is bent on being entertaining...?

willsayanything
09-13-2010, 05:42 PM
so fiba basketball is more entertaining because the nba is bent on being entertaining...?

I would find a purer basketball more entertaining. You can keep the smoke and noise

A matter of taste? I like basketball. The star system in the NBA, imo, puts a big hurt on basketball, wastes it. Then it is really a TV show.

The NBA, iah (in all honesty)--just and excuse for commercials.

But yeah, I watch, though I use the mute button a lot.

PBG
09-13-2010, 05:54 PM
im guessing you havent watched the tourney :eyebrow:

i watched only a little bit of a couple games. from what i seen, was dudes getting knocked on their ***, lots of banging down low, way more physical guard play and the refs let it go, we need more of this kind of stuff in the nba.

thekmp211
09-13-2010, 05:59 PM
I would find a purer basketball more entertaining. You can keep the smoke and noise

A matter of taste? I like basketball. The star system in the NBA, imo, puts a big hurt on basketball, wastes it. Then it is really a TV show.

The NBA, iah (in all honesty)--just and excuse for commercials.

But yeah, I watch, though I use the mute button a lot.

the quality of basketball in the nba regular season suffers mostly because the players themselves do not really lock in until the playoffs. that has more to do with egos and paychecks than corporations and advertisements.

the "star system" in the nba is overblown. fiba teams don't usually run through one guy cause there often isn't one guy to run it through. there are exceptions, obviously. did you see scola this tournament? was he not touching the ball on every possession? a strong offensive system is essential to competing. it's a travesty to me that the guy coaching brazil has not been offered an nba coaching position (language difference?). that guy's offensive schemes makes most nba coaches look like the dad who runs town rec leagues.

k24springs
09-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Yeah I think the FIBA rules are way better then the NBA. There are no superstar calls no one is going to the 10x a game. The refs let you play and there are no timeouts like every 5 mins. The NBA is more for marketing and things like that.

danidin
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
nba need much, much better atmosphere. the fans are soooo lame.
and no timeouts(thats why i can't watch football, theres a stop every second).

FOBolous
09-13-2010, 06:17 PM
The biggest difference I saw in the FIBA game that I liked better then the NBA is that the refs really let them play. You didn't hear the whistle blow every 20 sec. It was nice to have continous game play.

For them to call a foul, somone really has to get hit. Thats how it should be. All these touch fouls in the NBA drive me nuts. Esp when the best player on your team only plays 5-10 min in the first half of bball.

agree 100% :nod:

USA vs Spain gold medal game in the 2008 Olympics was AMAZING. Best basketball game I've seen in awhile. This year's USA vs Spain game was pretty good too.

and yea...i agree with you. it was probably because in FIBA, you don't have "star calls" and they actually let the players play. All these unfair calls in the NBA and the refs blowing their whistle for 2 or 3 plays is really annoying. I remember in Game 2 of the finals this past season, the refs blew their whistles 2 times out of every 3 players. i made me mad and frustrated. I stopped watching the game during half time cause I couldn't stand it anymore.

thescore53
09-13-2010, 06:19 PM
i watched only a little bit of a couple games. from what i seen, was dudes getting knocked on their ***, lots of banging down low, way more physical guard play and the refs let it go, we need more of this kind of stuff in the nba.

they were actually the whistle alot. alot of bs calls. spain kinda got screwed with the calls.

NYKalltheway
09-13-2010, 06:20 PM
This tournament really sucked since most teams either played bad or didn't have their best players (France was hurt a lot by this) and also the refereeing was atrocious for most part

International play is much more different than the NBA

If you are basing your opinions on the 2010 tournament, that won't lead you anywhere. That's hardly how teams play, if you leave out Serbia, Lithuania and Brazil (might add Turkey as well but for neutrals it was a huge surprise)

If you want to see how the game is over here, you should watch the Euroleague Top 16 and onwards until the Final Four. That's from February till early May. If you like it, then there's the Spanish and Italian playoffs and Greek finals that are worth watching.

As for the question, yes. Better game, but not as good players (as a whole)

evadatam5150
09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I must say I enjoy the games without all the timeouts. Believe it or not, the Warriors slogan for the season was, "It's a Great Time Out!" Not even Pat Riley is that bad.

The US v Spain gold medal game was more enjoyable than any NBA game I've seen in years.

The NBA is a televised entertainment based on what used to be a sport. The stars are MUCH more important than the game. The smoke and light shows and ROCK MUSIC are needed to tell us how exciting it is and how pumped we are.

It's tiresome.

Not a chance and not even close.. I had fun watching the games but let's be real here.. The rules, the trap lane, the pasty white skin and the teeth.. :speechless:

Seriously, no..!!! Was kidding about the pasty white skin.. But no the game is certainly not as fun to watch as the NBA in my opinion.. But then again you get used to watching something for so long it's hard to accept anything else no matter how good or bad it is..

evadatam5150
09-13-2010, 07:46 PM
I won't comment on whether FIBA is better than the NBA but I agree that timeouts are a pain in the ***.

You can't because truly there is no argument to be made in the level or quality.. The NBA is superior as far as talent is concerned.. As to your personal opinion that's yours and you know what's best for your pallet.. If you prefer FIBA then more power to you, but it's not because the talent level is better..

Wilson
09-13-2010, 08:04 PM
The players are obviously much much more talented as individuals in the NBA, but apart from that I think the NBA has a lot of improvements to make.

I don't watch an awful lot of international basketball, but the thing you notice when you do watch is that teams don't depend on one guy. In the NBA it's always about one or two players.

Someone mentioned the officiating, and how the players are allowed to be much more physical during international games. I love this, I think the players in the NBA get babied way too much.

The major thing for me though is the crowd - during FIBA games the crowd cheers when they want to cheer, in the NBA you have to wait until the guy working the jumbo tron deems it an acceptable time to cheer. What the **** is that? It really bugs me when a crowd starts getting into it and the road team is forced to call a time out, but the music starts blaring out and drowning the fans out. What ever happened to home court advantage? Give the game back to the fans!

The one thing I don't like about the FIBA games is the three point line, because of how close it is it seemed to clog offenses up a bit. All the players were stood much closer to each other, so there was less room to move on offense. Like I said though, I don't watch a ton of international basketball so this might not be as much of a problem as I think it is.

danidin
09-13-2010, 08:15 PM
what ever happened to home court advantage? Give the game back to the fans!

this !!!

HoopsDrive
09-13-2010, 08:27 PM
You can't because truly there is no argument to be made in the level or quality.. The NBA is superior as far as talent is concerned.. As to your personal opinion that's yours and you know what's best for your pallet.. If you prefer FIBA then more power to you, but it's not because the talent level is better..

Never said that I preferred FIBA but the NBA could use some improvements for sure. Quality-wise it's obvious that the NBA is superior but the star treatment given to some players is just horrendous at times.

davids22
09-13-2010, 08:37 PM
No. Lesser talent leads for a lesser enjoyable game to watch.

Maybe if the NBA was a more international player based game like soccer. But 80%(+/-) of the NBA players are USA Born, leading to the USA to always dominate the FIBA competition. In fact, the USA should NEVER lose a FIBA championship because of this reason. There's just too much talent

CLASSOF72
09-13-2010, 08:48 PM
FIBA will never be a better game.

NYKalltheway
09-13-2010, 09:22 PM
No. Lesser talent leads for a lesser enjoyable game to watch.

Well I'm gonna have to disagree on this. As a concept it's correct. But it's not a reality

In the NBA, contending teams have ONE OR TWO players with incredible talent. Then they usually have scrubs to complete the roster. Those "scrubs" would usually not be considered great signings for Euroleague contending teams but they usually wouldn't be considered scrubs there either
(example, Tony Delk came to my team in 2006/7 season and sat most of the season. Euroleague final he played for 15 seconds. He literally stood up, entered the court and then sat on the bench again!)

Euroleague contending teams are STACKED with talented players. Not as talented as Kobe, Wade, Durant etc. But they are stacked! They use at least 7-8 players with similar minutes (around 20) and 4-5 other players around 10 minutes each (on average)
In the NBA you get many players with DNP [coach decision] Happens in Europe as well, but it's usually rare. It usually happens if you failed in the off season...

So an NBA team has 1-2 extremely talented players, 1-2 very talented players it relies on, then 2-3 above average players, then the rest are average or below average and get limited play time. (except some teams of course)

In the Euroleague, a contending team has 1-2 superstar players, 4-5 very good players and the rest are above average players, unless there's a scrub who operates more as a towel boy instead of a player (I mean superstar etc for Europe)

So at the end of the day, you watch the NBA to watch 2-3 players dominate and you watch the Euroleague, which is the international competition people would compare the NBA to... In Euroleague you watch the teams play, not the players. Some players might be exciting to watch but they can't do jack on their own. It's all about the team.

And yes, fans are real passionate over here. Anyone interested in watching how fans "work" over here, they're more than welcome to PM me for some youtube clips.

In the NBA there's no real competition. There are 6-7 teams that hope to be in the contention for the title, but only 2-3 teams have some chance at the end of the day. What about the rest? It's up to how much money they'll earn.

Then you have teams like the Nets and the Timberwolves. So what if they lost almost every game. Who actually cares? It's all about the money after all. They are even getting rewarded with a lottery draft pick when they suck! That's the opposite of competition!!

The NBA has some amazing talent, nobody can doubt that. But it's mostly the rules that need to change. Specially the calls on the "superstars". NBA is hardly as good as it was when I fell in love with it back in the mid 90s. Different game, different rules. Is it still a basketball game I wonder? Only thing I loved from the last 5 years in the NBA was 4th quarter of 2010 Game 7... Regular season is sometimes unwatchable.

Btw, I'm using Europe as I don't know how South American teams operate (assume it's very similar) or African or Asian...

_KB24_
09-13-2010, 09:42 PM
No because the amount of difference in talent discrepancy between the US and others is still great. When team USA loses, its because of its faults within 99.9% of the time, not because of them facing a superior team. Just take a look at our National record, we own the hardwood.

Jewelz0376
09-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Most people have said FIBA is about team compared to the NBA where 1 or 2 players can dominate a game...The biggest reason for that is the main reason I like the NBA game better...that is zone defense....

In FIBA a team can just sit in zone the whole game, and you beat zones by ball movement and zone penetration...You can't go 1 on 5 (ex cle lebron offense) against zone like you can man... I prefer teams being forced to play man... In the nba players should be forced to have to play defense and guard the man in front you, compared to a zone where you can hide weak defenders... There is no way I'd wanna see Yao or Shaq just sit in the paint the whole time on D...

I do think that they should allow hand checking in the nba, but I am def glad that have the 3 sec rule on D in the unlike fiba

NYKalltheway
09-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Who says that players can sit on the D as long as they want???

There's a 3 second rule in defense as well, but it's way different. Less strict (don't want to get into the actual differences)

Tmath
09-13-2010, 11:18 PM
FIBA rules > NBA rules

llemon
09-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Absolutely a matter of opinion.

Hellcrooner
09-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Man do we need ot chose?

everything has its place and its moment of the day?

Its like reading a book.

YOu can find time for both Reading Kant for intelectual purposes adn tehn reading the last think from Stepehn King for entertaiment.

Or Cinema, you can enjoy some ver intimate and psicological movie by Truffaut but if you want some brainless action, yeah hit Rocky, youll enjoy it too.

Thats the same thing here.

If you wwant to watch BASKETBALL you put Fiba OR NCCAAA in you r tv.
If you want some popocron and entertainment you turn on the Nba
COme on we all know it, nba stoped being an sport a while ago, right now is more like a reality show, that its even derivating into pink Tv.

"the decision" was pure Gossip. Prez Hilton should have presetned it.

Geargo Wallace
09-14-2010, 12:15 AM
**** that noise!

NYKalltheway
09-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Noise? lol

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/08/the-nba-vs-europe/

Was searching for salaries of some teams in Europe and run into this..