PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to get the jays back to decent attendence numbers???!?

the_lazy_man
09-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Its no suprise to anybody(well it shouldnt be) that the attendance at jays game is absolute crap. Maybe its because of the fact were barely ever competitive, but it also can be to the exorbitant prices that are charged for one ticket.

What would some of your suggestions be to get jays fans back, cheaper beer? lol. I would say maybe 5$ flat rate for 500 level tickets, with the amount of empty seats in that section, its kind of sickening. I would also suggest no sportsnet 1 jays games, unless sportsnet 1 is free for everyone. These are just mere suggestions, i have a ton, but will only list that; what would everyone else suggest ?S?S?S?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

adid727
09-12-2010, 06:29 PM
i agree with the 5 dollar, 500 level tickets. They will get more fans and more money. plus the fans that go in will buy food and drinks so the money they will make will be more than 5 dollars per fan.

j-mart
09-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Its no suprise to anybody(well it shouldnt be) that the attendance at jays game is absolute crap. Maybe its because of the fact were barely ever competitive, but it also can be to the exorbitant prices that are charged for one ticket.

What would some of your suggestions be to get jays fans back, cheaper beer? lol. I would say maybe 5$ flat rate for 500 level tickets, with the amount of empty seats in that section, its kind of sickening. I would also suggest no sportsnet 1 jays games, unless sportsnet 1 is free for everyone. These are just mere suggestions, i have a ton, but will only list that; what would everyone else suggest ?S?S?S?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I don't understand your comment about the Jays not being competitive...are you referring to previous seasons?

H-MYK
09-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Have the Jays switch leagues? :shrug:

T.O.Bombinators
09-12-2010, 08:23 PM
play the games on ****ing tv again

Halladay
09-12-2010, 08:48 PM
^Yup. The first rule in drawing fans is allowing people to see it on TV. Rogers is not allowing this. I personally refuse to go out of my way to watch a ball game meaning; I'm not going to call my satellite company to watch a game when I already have four of their channels and they're broadcasting they're A.L East competition. It's insane what Rogers has done. It's a slap in the face to fans and since the channel has come out, I've tuned out and am losing interest. Make it accessible. You've got a young, exciting team. A young rotation, kids like Drabek coming up, leading the league in dingers...now is the time to advertise this team. Tell me why in the world should I pay more money to watch a fourth place team?

dtmagnet
09-12-2010, 09:21 PM
play the games on ****ing tv again

Yes thank you.

2009mvp
09-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Just win baby. If the Jays are ever gonna draw ~4M again it's gonna be because they're in the playoffs. If they're gonna draw over 2M again it's because people legitimately believe they have a shot.

wamco
09-12-2010, 10:17 PM
exorbitant prices that are charged for one ticket.

really?

StealingSigns
09-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Just win baby. If the Jays are ever gonna draw ~4M again it's gonna be because they're in the playoffs. If they're gonna draw over 2M again it's because people legitimately believe they have a shot.

This.

Back in the days when the Jays weren't on TV every night, they were drawing 4 million fans at the gate. In those days, TSN/CTV/CBC broadcast about 120/162 games each season.

I'm not saying less broadcast games = better attendance. Those were the days when the Jays were a perennial powerhouse in the AL East. Build a winner, the fans will come back. Trust me, the Jays have no problem with their television ratings (Sportsnet One aside).

Pride
09-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Winning is the number one thing. Fans hop on the bandwagon pretty fast once we start winning.

masTOR_shake1
09-13-2010, 12:55 AM
i feel that this year has been written off from the start, such a shame because it has been one of the most exciting seasons in recent history! lukewarm fans don't care if they know they team won't go far. i aslo feel, that rogers communications reallllllllllllllllly underplays the blue jays. they have such a vast stage sportsnet aside and they are pretty conservative with pimping out bluejays attention, i don't understand it. they feel that because we are canadian i have to hear about brian burke taking a dump before the jays are mentioned and thats a perpetuating condition,,make jays #1 priority all the time and people will care. be shameless self promoters.

StealingSigns
09-13-2010, 02:24 AM
i feel that this year has been written off from the start, such a shame because it has been one of the most exciting seasons in recent history! lukewarm fans don't care if they know they team won't go far. i aslo feel, that rogers communications reallllllllllllllllly underplays the blue jays. they have such a vast stage sportsnet aside and they are pretty conservative with pimping out bluejays attention, i don't understand it. they feel that because we are canadian i have to hear about brian burke taking a dump before the jays are mentioned and thats a perpetuating condition,,make jays #1 priority all the time and people will care. be shameless self promoters.

Not so sure if i agree with that assessment. Up until the Sportsnet One fiasco, they were doing a bang up job promoting the Blue Jays this year.

They bought out TSN for sole broadcast rights of the Jays.
They use their other properties (wireless, cable) to cross promote the Jays.

They have to put a contender on the field for a few seasons, and you will see sellouts once again.

statquo
09-13-2010, 02:25 AM
^Yup. The first rule in drawing fans is allowing people to see it on TV. Rogers is not allowing this. I personally refuse to go out of my way to watch a ball game meaning; I'm not going to call my satellite company to watch a game when I already have four of their channels and they're broadcasting they're A.L East competition. It's insane what Rogers has done. It's a slap in the face to fans and since the channel has come out, I've tuned out and am losing interest. Make it accessible. You've got a young, exciting team. A young rotation, kids like Drabek coming up, leading the league in dingers...now is the time to advertise this team. Tell me why in the world should I pay more money to watch a fourth place team?

It's a slap in the face to fans in the T.O. area. It's a kick in the balls to fans out west where Roger's doesn't exist in the first place and who have no chance of going to games anyways. This reminds me of what the Blackhawks previous owner did for hawks games on tv in Chitown a couple years before they became good and he died.

nstojic
09-13-2010, 08:05 AM
c'mon, don't be 'lazy', 'man'... :D W's will get the fans back, i believe... but not just W's for the sake of W's...meaningful ones... if we were a game back or a game up on the yanks/rays, right now, i think things would be different...

nithanyo
09-13-2010, 09:24 AM

For a station that owns the entire team and its stadium Rogers does a pretty bad job at promoting the Jays. They need to get people interested in this team again. And the best ways are

A)To win again

B)Promote the **** out of the jays. Give away more tickets to Rogers customers. Put on Jays commercials on other channels(I liked the guess who leads the league in Hr's commercial). Even if they are losing make them seem like the best thing that happend to Toronto. Making the 500's 5 bux is a really good idea too. Have the players go out into the community and do deeds like presentations at schools and ****. I was always a baseball fan growing up but alot of my friends got into baseball after Shawn Green came to our school when we like in grade 3 or 4. So it really works to get the children Get children into it. Jr Jays saturday is a start but noone really knows about it. Toronto is very multicultural. Get the chinese, indian and black community into baseball. Rogers is really slacking.

Zaunnie
09-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Roy Halladay.

hurleyburley
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I have always thought that kids under the age of 13 should be free, with an adult. This not only gets the kids interested, but puts another butt in the seats. Maybe not every game, but even 5 games per year.

But the most important thing is the perception that the Jays have a chance to make it to the playoffs. This year Rogers boldly told everyone that this was a rebuilding year, that the young guns were going to be given their chance, and sink or swim, they didn't care how many games they lost. Not a great way to advertise at the start of the year.

When fans start to believe they have a chance, they will come back to the ballpark. And kick that stupid Sportsnet One to the curb.

BlueJayCarter
09-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Attendence hasn't really been that bad. Probably not the numbers that the money hungary blood sucking nameless corporation wants but in reality not bad.

On ESPN the Blue Jays average is 20,346 people a game. That is not a bad stat. They will probably have 1.5 million go thru the stadium by the end of the season.

For a team that was suppose to rebuild and end up last in the east that is still better than five other MLB teams.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

nithanyo
09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I have always thought that kids under the age of 13 should be free, with an adult. This not only gets the kids interested, but puts another butt in the seats. Maybe not every game, but even 5 games per year.

But the most important thing is the perception that the Jays have a chance to make it to the playoffs. This year Rogers boldly told everyone that this was a rebuilding year, that the young guns were going to be given their chance, and sink or swim, they didn't care how many games they lost. Not a great way to advertise at the start of the year.

When fans start to believe they have a chance, they will come back to the ballpark. And kick that stupid Sportsnet One to the curb.

Thats where a large portion of the revenue comes from. Some parents feel Movies have to much violence or nudity, game tickets for Basketball or Hockey is ridiculous. A baseball game makes alot of sense. Food prices are high for some and is a big turnoff to alot. If they fix that alot of parents would be bringing their kids to games

Stress
09-13-2010, 10:44 AM
A quality rotation and starting line-up has proven to fill up skydome.
We have a good base. Let's hopse we can bring in the right veteran pieces to fill out the lineup and ateast one veteran pitcher with decent stuff.
I have faith AA. He actually cares about this organization.

SkyDome really sucks. Everything about it is pretty ******. The turf and all that exposed concrete doesnt make it feel like a real mlb game(although they all are) Although, all you can eat nights are the bomb.

BlueJays_29
09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Win and they will come.

scottythegreat1
09-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Winning ISNT EVERYTHING........

What do I mean by this?? The Cubs havent won the World Series in over 100 years, and yet they still get 38,000 out to their games. Houston still gets 29,000 out to their games and their team has flat out sucked. I do agree though, winning has a huge part of it all.

What Rogers has to do is STOP PRETENDING YOU ARE THE YANKEES, AND/OR THE MAPLE LEAFS where you can charge an outrageous ticket price and beer price. There is plenty of subtitutes for baseball games in a place like Toronto, so dont think the numbers wont change drastically.

The reason why they have Cheap Tuesday nights in the early bit of the season was to draw people away from watching the Hockey Playoffs (and It didnt matter if the Leafs were in it or not). Someone on here earlier said that if you charged $5 for skydeck, it would do a lot better. I say thats a great start. I dont know of ANYONE that sits on those last few outfield rows (Im referring to the ones near the outfield) in the Skydeck, maybe turn that into a $2 area on non super premium games (and have no ushers/concession people in that area).

Bottom line, price is EVERYTHING. If your product wins, you can charge more, if youre product is poor and youre charging the same as if it were a winner, youre NOT going to get the same numbers, END OF STORY.

Stress
09-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Winning ISNT EVERYTHING........

What do I mean by this?? The Cubs havent won the World Series in over 100 years, and yet they still get 38,000 out to their games. Houston still gets 29,000 out to their games and their team has flat out sucked. I do agree though, winning has a huge part of it all.

What Rogers has to do is STOP PRETENDING YOU ARE THE YANKEES, AND/OR THE MAPLE LEAFS where you can charge an outrageous ticket price and beer price. There is plenty of subtitutes for baseball games in a place like Toronto, so dont think the numbers wont change drastically.

The reason why they have Cheap Tuesday nights in the early bit of the season was to draw people away from watching the Hockey Playoffs (and It didnt matter if the Leafs were in it or not). Someone on here earlier said that if you charged $5 for skydeck, it would do a lot better. I say thats a great start. I dont know of ANYONE that sits on those last few outfield rows (Im referring to the ones near the outfield) in the Skydeck, maybe turn that into a $2 area on non super premium games (and have no ushers/concession people in that area).

Bottom line, price is EVERYTHING. If your product wins, you can charge more, if youre product is poor and youre charging the same as if it were a winner, youre NOT going to get the same numbers, END OF STORY.

Its different for every city. You're being very ignorant. The leafs dont win anything yet they sellout every night. The blue jays NEED to win to fill up skydome. Its a fact thats been proven. The jays are already the cheapest ticket in town next to the toronto fc.

Baseball is probably the least favoured sport behind hockey, basketball and soccer in toronto. i would include football but the cfl is a joke in toronto.

JimBob
09-13-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't understand your comment about the Jays not being competitive...are you referring to previous seasons?

Although the Jays have played over .500 ball most of this season, they haven't been involved in the race since late May. They got to within 9 games back once or twice since that time. So his comment makes complete sense.

Winning is clearly the best way to get people to come back. Our attendence was increasing year-by-year up until 2009. The fans are there for the taking.

Halladay
09-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Attendence hasn't really been that bad. Probably not the numbers that the money hungary blood sucking nameless corporation wants but in reality not bad.

On ESPN the Blue Jays average is 20,346 people a game. That is not a bad stat. They will probably have 1.5 million go thru the stadium by the end of the season.

For a team that was suppose to rebuild and end up last in the east that is still better than five other MLB teams.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Those numbers are always BS though. Most of the time anyway. One of my friends who went to a game recently told me there was maybe, MAYBE, 10,000 people at the game he went to. For a population of 4-5 million people in Southern Ontario, that's pretty damn bad.

JimBob
09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Those numbers are always BS though. Most of the time anyway. One of my friends who went to a game recently told me there was maybe, MAYBE, 10,000 people at the game he went to. For a population of 4-5 million people in Southern Ontario, that's pretty damn bad.

You always add in season ticket holders. It's standard practice throughout the league. Even if they don't show up, someone has bought that ticket already.

As I mentioned in a previous post; if you go here http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2008 you'll notice that between 2004 and 2008 our attendance improved a lot. In 2007 and 2008 we averaged JUST under 30,000 per game. However, the last two seasons it has fallen.

Last year J.P. and Beeston basically told people to stay away, so you're still feeling the affects of that PR disaster. The fans will come back when we start producing more than just a 4th place team.

Toronto is a good baseball city.

T.O. Fan
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
The marketing is horrible.

The product needs to be better.

Luca68
09-13-2010, 08:15 PM
just win some meaningful games its as simple as that, helps if you have an exciting team to watch, but meaningful wins is the key to attendance.

Asham
09-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Cut the price of the food and drinks

FlakeyFool
09-13-2010, 10:39 PM
relocate the team

wamco
09-13-2010, 10:55 PM

bingo.

This year Rogers boldly told everyone that this was a rebuilding year

-Actually AA went out of his way to not use the word, consistently saying "building". Very cute.

koreancabbage
09-14-2010, 01:00 AM
when none of us are posting on this board for the entire season, attendance should be near maximum lol

JimBob
09-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Again, season ticket holders are always included in the attendance numbers. It's standard practice thoughout the league. Those tickets were already purchased for that game.

Also, again, numbers INCREASED from 2004 to 2008 - Beer and food prices have remained constant since then, so you can throw out that arguement.

It has just been the last TWO seasons that attendance has dropped. One of those seasons we sucked hard, and the other (the current) is a 4th place team that hasn't been in real contention since late May.

The recent drop in overall attendance the last TWO years is because of the on field product and JP/Beestons PR moves. Attendance will rise again from season to season. However, the best way to get a spike in it is to improve the team. It's not rocket science.

miller74
09-14-2010, 10:34 AM

Thats is end of discussion, last time they were in the playoffs they set attendence records. This isnt hard to figure out make a winner and the people will come, just like field of dreams

wamco
09-15-2010, 07:57 AM
it's not like it was good in 2004 however. That' s like comparing crap to poop.

Attendance will still probably lag behind by half a year to a year even after making the playoffs. It isn't gonna be instant.

Imagine the attendance if it were an open air stadium at all times like some of the other teams you are compariing their attendance to. Big consideration, especially in terms of when people are in town visiting or on business and won't go to a game if it looks rainy. Sitting in baseball rain delays steals your soul.

silvio
09-15-2010, 08:27 AM
1. make playoffs a couple of years in a row with chances to contend
2. move the team to a diffrerent conference
3. bring NFL at Rogers stadium for attendance (Toronto Bills?) - that will cover for attendance at the Argos too.
4. do a favor to everyone and do what Montreal did - move it out of town.

the_lazy_man
09-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Why move the jays out of town? Sounds highly illogical, plus rogers business model, even if they are supposdely losing money from the jays(i dunno if they are), would save the jays and keep it in Toronto, there would probably be people from Canada willing to buy the bluejays if it ever were to go on sale too.

Plus this PSD fourm for the jays is like the 7th most popular on this site, the fans are in strong numbers, they just need to go to the Rogers Centre.

TOJAYS
09-28-2010, 02:36 AM
They do have great tv numbers at least. Fans are just not going to games.

Also comparing them to the cubs is laughable since the cubs to chicago is what the leafs are to toronto.