PDA

View Full Version : Drabek to get the call

fatkev78
09-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Toronto Blue Jays pitching prospect Kyle Drabek will make his major league debut sometime in the next few weeks

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2010/09/12/drabek_debut/

randomness
09-12-2010, 12:33 PM
:speechless: if that's true

Halladay
09-12-2010, 12:43 PM
OMG why? Guys like Snider and JPA don't even get playing time so we call up our prized prospect from the Halladay deal a year early to do what?

Twitchy
09-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Keith Law was really impressed with him & Stewart in the AA playoffs. Said he's never seen their stuff that good before. I'm going off memory but Drabek pushed 97 with the fastball a few times and his curve was ridiculous.

If he's not pushing his innings limit and the Jays have an open spot on the 40 man I'm not totally against it if his stuff is better than it was earlier in the year.

Edit: Found what he said here (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=law_keith&id=5549942&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb %2fblog%3fname%3dlaw_keith%26id%3d5549942):

Wednesday night he {Drabek} brought the best stuff I've seen (or heard of) from him, with two plus-plus pitches and an aggressive approach. He started out 93-97 in the first inning and was 91-96 by the end of his outing, hitting 97 at least three times over the first two frames. His power curveball at 84-86 was a big league out pitch, with depth and a very sharp break -- and he threw it for strikes in addition to burying it for swings and misses.

The rest of it is behind the insider shield so it can't be posted (not that I have insider, anyways).

DocJayzSpikx
09-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Nice he's going to be making 3 starts, I wonder if he's taking anyones spot, maybe Cecil?

The_905
09-12-2010, 01:04 PM
OMG why? Guys like Snider and JPA don't even get playing time so we call up our prized prospect from the Halladay deal a year early to do what?

Whats the big deal? It will give him a taste of life in the big leagues.

Halladay
09-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Whats the big deal? It will give him a taste of life in the big leagues.

Which he will get eventually anyway. What's the rush?

Jays101
09-12-2010, 01:47 PM
This is bitter-sweet, Drabek was dynamite in his last playoff performence and KLaw has even said if drabek worked on his change-up he has a legitimate chance to be an ace starter(Law has always been under the opinion that drabek was a no3 starter, and that changed the first time he saw him pitch last week). But then again, hes only in AA... is it too much of a jump? Should we not risk his confidence and arm (lets not forget hes had TJ surgery already) Should we just shut him down and give him a break like morrow?

I dont know what to make of this move, but Im very eager to see how he performs wednesday and always wishing him the best for a bright future with the jays.

Ragun
09-12-2010, 01:58 PM
not really surprising. i expected him to have AT LEAST 1 start this year.

jmoney23
09-12-2010, 02:00 PM
On the Blue Jays page on Facebook, it says he will start Wednesday in Baltimore

FlakeyFool
09-12-2010, 02:08 PM
If this is on sportsnet one I will kill myself

Bjaxn45
09-12-2010, 02:15 PM
On the Blue Jays page on Facebook, it says he will start Wednesday in Baltimore

Thank god that game is not on sportsnet 1.

marcre
09-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm excited for this.

Toxeryll
09-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Thank god that game is not on sportsnet 1.

it is on sportsnet one. :(

Asham
09-12-2010, 02:33 PM

Dont worry, Cito will pull him from the game after he warms up

Jays101
09-12-2010, 02:54 PM
fudge...

StealingSigns
09-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Don't worry guys, I have a feeling we will all be watching it some way or another :p

nstojic
09-12-2010, 04:09 PM
With Drabek ready for stiffer competition and the Jays looking for a starter to help them finish the season the club figured this week was the right time to move him up.

“His last start was outstanding. It was important for us for him to pitch in a playoff atmosphere,” said general manager Alex Anthopoulos. “He’s done everything that we asked.”

Right now Drabek is penciled in to start twice – this Wednesday, then Sept. 22 at home against Seattle – but Anthopoulos said he will likely log three starts before the season ends Oct. 3 in Minnesota.http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/859998--kyle-drabek-to-make-jays-debut-on-wednesday?bn=1

tuck25
09-12-2010, 05:05 PM
******* ed by sportsnet one AGAIN, i am really getting a hate on for rogers and this Jays on sportsnet one crap.

BlueJayFanDan
09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Hope Drabek does well. Will be nice to see him in the Majors.

Manatoo
09-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Don't agree with him getting the extra innings, but cant say im not excited to see his debut.

bomber0104
09-12-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm excited to see the guy but can't say i like the move

the_lazy_man
09-12-2010, 06:24 PM
But GO drabek, rooting for all the way.

adid727
09-12-2010, 06:26 PM
with the 20 percent increase in innings pitched that the blue jays follow, drabek has 27 more innings in him, so i think he's been called up at the right time. that being said, I don't think cito will let him pitch into the 8th in his first start no matter how good he is pitching.

j-mart
09-12-2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/859998--kyle-drabek-to-make-jays-debut-on-wednesday?bn=1

He's also supposed to start against the Yankees at home on Sept. 28th.

Covert
09-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Nice he's going to be making 3 starts, I wonder if he's taking anyones spot, maybe Cecil?
We will be using a six-man rotation for the remainder of the season according to ESPN.

H-MYK
09-12-2010, 08:04 PM

Oh, goody. Another reason for me to hate Sportsnet. I swear if I miss Bautista's 50th, I'm going to be super pissed.

T.O.Bombinators
09-12-2010, 08:25 PM
this is ****ing stupid..wednesday was supposed to be on SN but they changed it to monday..wtf rogers do you want any fans or what ur just ****ing urself

Halladay
09-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Rogers shoots itself in the foot. It's unbelievable how many complaints they've gotten over sportsnet one. I myself find it ridiculous that I have 4 sportsnet channels yet I can't watch a god damn baseball game who's owned by the very same company. They're **** blocking themselves.

T.O.Bombinators
09-12-2010, 09:51 PM
ya i just emailed them

ah nuts
09-12-2010, 11:43 PM
didn't "sportsnet" advertise at the beginning of the year they will be showing X amount of jays games? And now not?

if so - that's really low and they should pay for the rip off.

masTOR_shake1
09-13-2010, 12:48 AM
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

BlueJayCarter
09-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Can't wait to see the young man pitch.

And ahnuts Sportsnet did say they were going to show an X amount of games, you are right, however, they can claim Sportsnet one is the same or similar to Sportsnet and therefore they are upholding their claim of X games shown as it is a Sportsnet channel.

Kind of like TSN2.

Stress
09-13-2010, 10:28 AM
ya i just emailed them

Thanks, man. I'm sure theyll listen you.

Already nobody wants to go to the games. I dont understand why they would want to charge people to watch them on tv.

I get sportsnet one and tsn2 in my package but im puzzled by their business strategies. Wouldn't you try to get the most exposure you can for a team dying for attention?

Bob_at_york
09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I didn't expect this to happen. I thought he reached his max. amount of innings down there. I hope we don't push him very hard.

Stress
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I didn't expect this to happen. I thought he reached his max. amount of innings down there. I hope we don't push him very hard.

im sure theyve learned their lesson via mcgowan and marcum. drabek is getting pampered. he's ready to get a taste. he'll probably be a on a limited pitch count when he comes up anyway.

BlueJayCarter
09-13-2010, 10:32 AM
im sure theyve learned their lesson via mcgowan and marcum. drabek is getting pampered. he's ready to get a taste. he'll probably be a on a limited pitch count when he comes up anyway.

Very true. Probably an innings and a pitch limit, five or six innings and probably between 85-95 pitches.

scottythegreat1
09-13-2010, 11:30 AM
If this is on sportsnet one I will kill myself

I know sooner or later we are going to lose this priviege, however, people like me go in atdhe.net to find the Blue Jays game there to watch on the computer. Of course, it usually doesnt come on until a little bit after the game starts, but it shows up.

Rogers wants a war, whoever is putting that on there is eating into your profits. As long as I can watch it on the computer for FREE, I will. If I get put into jail for it, Ill say, hey I cant watch it on TV because I dont get the channel because of unfair business practices done by Rogers.

Bjaxn45
09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
this is ****ing stupid..wednesday was supposed to be on SN but they changed it to monday..wtf rogers do you want any fans or what ur just ****ing urself

This is insane. I posted on here yesterday about it. It was on Sportsnet but they swapped it to sportsnet one overnight!? That's so messed up. Do they really expect not to get alot of backlash about this?

JimBob
09-13-2010, 03:35 PM
The funny thing about this is that Cito must be going ape-sH$% knowing he has to start a rookie. Cito will get Tallet in the game as soon as he can.

I would bet that Cito has already told Tallet this.

BlueJayCarter
09-13-2010, 05:00 PM
The funny thing about this is that Cito must be going ape-sH$% knowing he has to start a rookie. Cito will get Tallet in the game as soon as he can.

I would bet that Cito has already told Tallet this.

Sadly I would not want to bet against that comment.

And I can see Cito comments "I don't need to pitch our top prospect if I don't want to. Tallet is an awesome pitcher with a + 6 ERA who is fighting for a contract next year in the Independent or Japanese league. I need to give him his opportunity to win a contract in one of those leagues. ******* the youth movement ... I'm an old prick."

T.O. Fan
09-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Another dumb move by Rogers.

Apparently they are offering this channel (Sportsnet One) as a free preview, but you have to contact your television provider (i.e. Bell, Cogeco, Shaw, etc.).

JaysFan87
09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Another dumb move by Rogers.

Apparently they are offering this channel (Sportsnet One) as a free preview, but you have to contact your television provider (i.e. Bell, Cogeco, Shaw, etc.).

the channel comes with all the other sportsnet channels too(east, west and pacific) as long as u have the hd box u have sportsnet one.

Eagles4Lyfe
09-13-2010, 07:37 PM
i got the rogers HD box with my sports package and i have SN1 in Hd, you guys should get the sports package after tax its 35 a month and you get every sports imaginable, nfl sunday ticket, mlb extra innings, score, tsn 1 and 2 all sportsnet channels college football nhl center ice everything..Worth a look

Bob_at_york
09-13-2010, 07:48 PM
who is that guy playing 3rd? I just saw the guy charge the ball twice and make two good throws to 1st. Can't be EE, he isn't capable of that.

fatkev78
09-14-2010, 11:34 AM
i got the rogers HD box with my sports package and i have SN1 in Hd, you guys should get the sports package after tax its 35 a month and you get every sports imaginable, nfl sunday ticket, mlb extra innings, score, tsn 1 and 2 all sportsnet channels college football nhl center ice everything..Worth a look

I would as would many others I'm sure, but Rogers isn't even available in our area. Rogers is basically holding its own fans hostage until the other providers agree to pay up for RS1.

Frank Costanza
09-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Debuting tomorrow is a man that was traded for the best pitcher in the game roy halladay. Now the much anticipated wait is over. Tommorow night at Camden yards in Balt kyle drabek son of former cy young winner and perennial all star Doug drabek starts for the boys in blue the Toronto blue jays

BlueJays_29
09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Same with me. Rogers is not available here.

tuck25
09-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Same here, F*&^ rogers anyway.

GoatMilk
09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
the boys in blue are the Dodgers

Eagles4Lyfe
09-14-2010, 01:50 PM
HUH wth where do you guys live??

CAIN=FUTURE
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
the boys in blue are the Dodgers

The boys in blue are gonna be left battered and bleeding after their series in the Bay. They will be bleeding red after they get out of town.

And just saying, but Tim Lincecum is the next great one.

nithanyo
09-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Im a blue jays fan and i think Kyle Drabek is overated. His fathers name has alot more to do with his hype than his talent

GeronimoSon
09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
You mean the Kei Igawa Era is over?.. sad.. very sad news...

miller74
09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Im a blue jays fan and i think Kyle Drabek is overated. His fathers name has alot more to do with his hype than his talent

Have you seen him pitch? what about his game is overrated? and im being sincere not trying to be a ***

nithanyo
09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Have you seen him pitch? what about his game is overrated? and im being sincere not trying to be a ***

I didnt say he was bad.... We just seem to be praising him like he we are bringing up Starsburg. People are making it seem like we made a halladay for halladay trade. This guy is 22, hasnt made it past double-A, yet we choose to praise him like he is the next ace. Lets wait and see

DodgersFanFor23
09-14-2010, 03:02 PM
It's not like he's going to throw a no hitter or strikeout over 10... He's lucky if he gets past 5 innings and 3 ER's... In 5 years is when he should be seen if he's an ace in the making.

R. Johnson#3
09-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Has anyone here seen him pitch?

miller74
09-14-2010, 04:25 PM
I didnt say he was bad.... We just seem to be praising him like he we are bringing up Starsburg. People are making it seem like we made a halladay for halladay trade. This guy is 22, hasnt made it past double-A, yet we choose to praise him like he is the next ace. Lets wait and see

I didnt say u said he was bad, i was just curious if you had any first hand information to prove what people are saying to be wrong. I havent really formed an opinion yet but hes a highly touted prospect in 2 different organizations, nothing wrong with being excited

Asham
09-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Has anyone here seen him pitch?

I went to one of his games in New Hampshire very early in the season

fatkev78
09-14-2010, 05:54 PM

You would be amazed at how few people have Rogers as an option.

tuck25
09-14-2010, 06:31 PM

Alberta, actually most of the west cant get rogers.:mad:

T.O. Fan
09-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Rogers Cable is only available in parts of Ontario, New Brunswick and Newfoundland.

There may be a newer product that allows for live video streaming to the remaining part of the country, but I'm not sure about that.

Gibby
09-14-2010, 07:02 PM

thats not his fault, jays dont want to send him to the pacific coast league. its not because of his performance.

JaysFan87
09-14-2010, 08:59 PM

considering he was drafted out of high school and missed a whole year due to tommy john surgery. Being 22 and in AA is not a bad thing. He is prolly where he should be actually.

Eagles4Lyfe
09-14-2010, 09:25 PM
You would be amazed at how few people have Rogers as an option.

Alberta, actually most of the west cant get rogers.:mad:

wow sorry then i feel bad for you guys

Shifty1 69
09-15-2010, 08:31 AM

thats not his fault, jays dont want to send him to the pacific coast league. its not because of his performance.

Plus he lost a year to TJ surgery. I am not at all concerned with his level for his age.

Nobody has made any kind of Strasburg comparison (although now they have TJ in common:rolleyes:).... what is wrong with being excited for the first appearance by one of the organizations prized prospects? I will also be very (or is it 'berry':D) excited for Hechevarria, Stewart, Gose (if and when) and whomever else blooms into a legit higher end prospect (ie. one of the catchers).
He was the centrepiece for Doc, but I also dont see any comparisons being made to, or anybody claiming he will be the next Doc.:confused:
If the reports are true that he was consistently hitting in the high 90's with his fastball and a plus plus curve etc., then we have reason to be excited to see what he can do. I believe his changeup also developed pretty well this year, if/when he can truly grasp that pitch, with a mid-high 90s fastball and a dirty curve he could be fantastic.:clap: Or he can flame out and be nothing... nobody knows for sure, but thats what makes it exciting.