PDA

View Full Version : Vince Carter's legacy.

thescore53
09-12-2010, 12:14 PM
how will he be remembered. is he a hof ? he was one of the most popular players in this decade. with his showdown with a.i in the east conf. semis. and that unforgettable dunk contest. there were the nagatives though.

save the knicks
09-12-2010, 12:21 PM
dunk de la mort

VinceCarter
09-12-2010, 12:22 PM
2000-2009 was last decade ;)

thescore53
09-12-2010, 12:23 PM
oh ma gawd vince carter is in the building

masTOR_shake1
09-12-2010, 12:27 PM
despite his talent, he'll go down as a footnote most likely. ***** was he good back in the day though.

IndyFan
09-12-2010, 12:34 PM
just another guy that was good while he had athleticism, but didn't care enough to be great.

not sure he will be HOF, inspite of his numbers.

:shrug:

heyman321
09-12-2010, 12:43 PM
just another guy that was good while he had athleticism, but didn't care enough to be great.

Maybe not HOF, but he is the undisputable greatest dunker of all time. And Toronto fans should really stop booing him, lol I went to the ACC last year and they were still doing it, jesus.

Wade>You
09-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Greatest dunk and greatest dunker ever.

jackdawson
09-12-2010, 12:47 PM
well, he is the by far the greatest dunker of all time imo. He will always be remembered for his crazy dunks. 50-50 HOFer.

Guru™
09-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Greatest dunker of all-time.

llemon
09-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I consider Erving the greatest in-game dunker of all time.

kidfury
09-12-2010, 01:02 PM
besides winning the dunk contest what else is there? No HOF for vc. He'll be remembered as a momma's boy. There's been plenty of talented players in the nba but how many elevated there games to stand out above the rest, not vc. vc has shown no heart despite all his talent. he can/could dunk before but that isn't reason for a HOF spot.

mynameismo
09-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Greatest dunk and greatest dunker ever.

That's about it. HOF.. nope.

Rego247
09-12-2010, 01:12 PM
besides winning the dunk contest what else is there? No HOF for vc. He'll be remembered as a momma's boy. There's been plenty of talented players in the nba but how many elevated there games to stand out above the rest, not vc. vc has shown no heart despite all his talent. he can/could dunk before but that isn't reason for a HOF spot.

this. he was a phenomenal dunker, but hes no hof, not in the same breath as kobe, or shaq.

Wade>You
09-12-2010, 01:18 PM
That's about it. HOF.. nope.I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion and predict he'll make it to the HoF.

My reasoning is he was an above average player and he does have his place in history.

Avenged
09-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Like everyone has said, arguably the best dunker of all time..

HOF worthy? in my opinion no.

Probably if he can be a big contributer with the Magic with them ending up as champions.. But even that is a long shot.

hineswardfan
09-12-2010, 01:46 PM
as the best dunker EVER

Antipod
09-12-2010, 01:55 PM
A GREAT dunker, nothing more.

blacknell
09-12-2010, 02:02 PM
not HOF

NYKalltheway
09-12-2010, 02:04 PM
If they make Vince Carter a Hall of Famer first ballot, then it means the game we all loved (back in the 90s and earlier) is now gone and has been replaced with jumping freaks.

Vince Carter was never sort of a leader for any team (that was competing). He was a spectacular player due to dunking, but no way close to being a Hall of Famer.

I really enjoyed watching him play, but I'd never rate him higher than lots of players out there

Raoul Duke
09-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Zero chance that he's gonna be a HoFer. He was fun to watch at times, and an exceptional player there for a nice little stretch, but his list of career accomplishments isn't overly impressive.

I wouldn't even put him in my top 100 all time.

Storch
09-12-2010, 04:15 PM
I consider Erving the greatest in-game dunker of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

Watch that and educate yourself, and sit down with the Erving mess your talking.

vince carter :clap:

LayZbone
09-12-2010, 04:21 PM

This right here is the answer to the thread. Vince Carter is the greatest dunker this league has ever seen IMO.

Chronz
09-12-2010, 04:30 PM
prolly not a hofer but he's better than that. like reggie miller had hoc career but he was never as good as vc

llemon
09-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Watch that and educate yourself, and sit down with the Erving mess your talking.

vince carter :clap:

Sorry, that doesn't change my opinion.

Julius could walk on air.

Chronz
09-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Zero chance that he's gonna be a HoFer. He was fun to watch at times, and an exceptional player there for a nice little stretch, but his list of career accomplishments isn't overly impressive.

I wouldn't even put him in my top 100 all time.

lol
who's# 99

llemon
09-12-2010, 04:35 PM
prolly not a hofer but he's better than that. like reggie miller had hoc career but he was never as good as vc

Reggie Miller one of the top three clutch players in NBA history.

Would definitely take Reggie over Carter

Chronz
09-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Sorry, that doesn't change my opinion.

Julius could walk on air.
by the time he hit the nba he wasn't the same dunker.

Chronz
09-12-2010, 04:39 PM

lol not even close

id take reggie that final minute but id have to have a really really good team around him. vince wasnt just more dynamic but a much more complete player

eugene
09-12-2010, 04:42 PM
what are the real reasons for vc being a HOF er? winning a dunk contest?

thecure
09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
I've watched Vince his whole career.
First out of love, then out of hate.

One of the best dunkers of all-time... yes.

Biggest crybaby of all-time... hell yes.

I've never seen a player lose his edge faster than Vince.
He went from killer instinct to Backstreet and N'Sync faster than I can say ouch.

He put the NBA on the map in Canada... and just as quickly, tried to tear its heart out.

If he makes the HOF it will be because he made the NBA money, not because he was a winner.

eugene
09-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Reggie over VC anytime of the day. Just because he had heart...

llemon
09-12-2010, 04:45 PM
lol not even close

id take reggie that final minute but id have to have a really really good team around him. vince wasnt just more dynamic but a much more complete player

Vince more complete.

Reggie more clutch, more tough and MUCH better shooter

smith&wesson
09-12-2010, 05:02 PM
im a raptor fan... and vince carter imo is the best dunker of all time.

97NYer
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
My HOFers among active players.

Shaq
Duncan
Dirk
Garnett
LeBron
Hill (Maybe)
Kobe
Wade
Nash
Kidd

Durant, Melo, Paul, Williams, Roy, Lopez, Wall, Griffin etc. no way to tell until maybe 5-6 years from now.

SteveNash
09-12-2010, 05:16 PM
My HOFers among active players.

Shaq
Duncan
Dirk
Garnett
LeBron
Hill (Maybe)
Kobe
Wade
Nash
Kidd

Durant, Melo, Paul, Williams, Roy, Lopez, Wall, Griffin etc. no way to tell until maybe 5-6 years from now.

Why Hill but not Carter?

GodsSon
09-12-2010, 05:41 PM
The stuff I saw this guy do when I was growing up was incredible, he brought this buzz to the sports scene in Toronto that was unparalleled by any other athlete here ever IMO...he had all the physical tools to be as good if not better than Kobe, but he squandered it because he's lazy.

VinceCarter
09-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Vince is pretty clutch too. Surprised nobody's mentioned this. Whether he's driving to the basket or shooting that crazy 3 he was clutch.

llemon
09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Vince is pretty clutch too. Surprised nobody's mentioned this. Whether he's driving to the basket or shooting that crazy 3 he was clutch.

Yeah, a great clutch playoff performer.

PC
09-12-2010, 07:08 PM
I'll remember him as one of the best dunkers of all time.

As for the hall of fame, he's borderline but I don't see him making it

Raoul Duke
09-12-2010, 07:10 PM
lol
who's# 99

I dunno, man. I can't even be bothered to make a top ten list or to take one seriously. It's just some hyperbole for ya.

Chronz
09-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Vince more complete.

yup

but what makes twig boy any tougher? what does that really mean. he was weak in the post just about weak overall defensively.

Chronz
09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
The stuff I saw this guy do when I was growing up was incredible, he brought this buzz to the sports scene in Toronto that was unparalleled by any other athlete here ever IMO...he had all the physical tools to be as good if not better than Kobe, but he squandered it because he's lazy.

how was he lazy? i thought it was the injuries that screwed him mentally

Chronz
09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Reggie over VC anytime of the day. Just because he had heart...

so u would take derek fisher over him?

_KB24_
09-12-2010, 09:48 PM
The greatest dunker of all time not making the HOF? :eyebrow:

Carter was an absolute stud in his prime and gave us some of the most memorable moments in basketball history. He is without a doubt a legend of the game. I can see it, NBA 2k25, the dunk contest will feature an unlockable Carter dunk from the freethrow line between the legs!

OGMarkWahlberg
09-12-2010, 10:39 PM
he has no business in the hall of fame...great player for years athletic freak of nature best in game dunk of all time, arguably best dunker of all time. got hurt too much never made too much noise in the playoffs although he actually won a series unlike his lazy *** cousin

Raoul Duke
09-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I find all this "best dunker" stuff hilarious, true or not.

Norieaga
09-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm going to say he WILL make the HoF, but not because of his skill. His memorable dunks will probably get him a spot strictly based on PR. He could have been so much more, especially with Toronto.

thescore53
09-13-2010, 10:47 AM
vince toronto vs vince nj vs vince orl....

Ethix11
09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Vince Carter - one of the best dunkers

llemon
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
He will make it into the HOF, just because of who he was. The Raptors would not have been on map without VC. His ALL STAR Apperances, His Dunk Contest win in 2000 and overall stats will get him in plus he was the face of the NBA Globally for a couple years.

Vince getting into the HOF would cheapen what it means to be a HOFer for every member of the HOF.

King P
09-13-2010, 11:58 AM
He will make the HOF because his numbers are good enough. Players with lower stats have gotten in. If Joe Dumars is a HOFer, so is VC.

Law25
09-13-2010, 12:07 PM
At ths point he would be known for the dunk contest, his battel with Iverson in the 01 playoffs, and his in game dunking. Not an HOF inductee. Like i said at this point i dont believe he has retired yet.

Law25
09-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm going to say he WILL make the HoF, but not because of his skill. His memorable dunks will probably get him a spot strictly based on PR. He could have been so much more, especially with Toronto.

I agree. He should have never left. It only got worse for him when he left.

llemon
09-13-2010, 12:21 PM
i dont believe he has retired yet.

Are you sure?

Chronz
09-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Vince getting into the HOF would cheapen what it means to be a HOFer for every member of the HOF.

spoken like someone who's never seen the hof.

llemon
09-13-2010, 12:42 PM
spoken like someone who's never seen the hof.

You are correct. I have not seen it.

So, is it already cheap? If it is cheap, then maybe Carter should be declared King of the HOF.

Supa
09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
8x all star, one of the best if not the best dunker in NBA history, Vince will no doubt be in Hall of Fame.

Players with less accomplishments had been inducted.

---

FlakeyFool
09-13-2010, 02:51 PM
8x all star, one of the best if not the best dunker in NBA history, Vince will no doubt be in Hall of Fame.

---

cant get much less than that

GodsSon
09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
how was he lazy? i thought it was the injuries that screwed him mentally

I think that definitely played a role, but he did admit after the NJ trade that he had relied heavily on his athleticism and that he didn't always push himself 100%...sadly, he's just another in a long line of athletes blessed with incredible physical gifts, but with the work ethic of a donkey.

JordansBulls
09-13-2010, 05:36 PM
He won't make the hall of fame.

llemon
09-13-2010, 05:40 PM

By less accomplishments, do you mean players with multiple NBA Titles?

Chronz
09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
I think that definitely played a role, but he did admit after the NJ trade that he had relied heavily on his athleticism and that he didn't always push himself 100%...sadly, he's just another in a long line of athletes blessed with incredible physical gifts, but with the work ethic of a donkey.

He also said it was taken the wrong way and clarified that he did in fact work hard to get where hes at. So whats your point? You cant rely on what athletes say, you have to rely on what the people around them say of his work ethic. So hes not Kobe, last I checked **** load of greats didnt have his drive but you dont get great without trying hard.

If VC was as lazy as you think he was, why isnt he James White, why arent Eddie Robinson and Qyntel Woods the next superstars?

carter15
09-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Vince is 41st on the all time scoring list with 19498 points.

It is very reasonable to think that by the time he retires he will be in the top 20 all time. He'd need to get to more then 23000 points, which is another 3500. He scored 1244 last year, so if he plays 3 more seasons he should get there barring a lot of missed time. For the record, Gary Payton is the highest scoring player not to be in the HoF with 21813 points and 24th all time (not sure if he was eligible yet). After him its Mitch Richmond at 20497 points and who Vince will pass this season.

So he's more then just a dunker, he's one of the best scorers the game has ever seen. He's also 23rd in PPG at the moment with 22.89, which is bound to decrease in the coming years though, and all but one player in the top 35, who isn't still active of course, is in the HoF.

The negatives of him "quitting" and not living up to his potential are there, but there's no denying what he still accomplished on the court. If he doesn't make the HoF when it's all said and done he will likely be the player with the most points to not be in it.

llemon
09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Vince is 41st on the all time scoring list with 19498 points.

It is very reasonable to think that by the time he retires he will be in the top 20 all time. He'd need to get to more then 23000 points, which is another 3500. He scored 1244 last year, so if he plays 3 more seasons he should get there barring a lot of missed time. For the record, Gary Payton is the highest scoring player not to be in the HoF with 21813 points and 24th all time (not sure if he was eligible yet). After him its Mitch Richmond at 20497 points and who Vince will pass this season.

So he's more then just a dunker, he's one of the best scorers the game has ever seen. He's also 23rd in PPG at the moment with 22.89, which is bound to decrease in the coming years though, and all but one player in the top 35, who isn't still active of course, is in the HoF.

The negatives of him "quitting" and not living up to his potential are there, but there's no denying what he still accomplished on the court. If he doesn't make the HoF when it's all said and done he will likely be the player with the most points to not be in it.

Bernard King was SO MUCH better than Vince. And Bernard was anxious to impose his will on a game.

Don't believe Bernard is a HOFer at this point

Raoul Duke
09-13-2010, 06:49 PM
His all star appearances don't really impress me, because the fans vote for that ****. Fans, for the most part, are morons. I mean, just look at all of us.

GodsSon
09-13-2010, 06:55 PM
He also said it was taken the wrong way and clarified that he did in fact work hard to get where hes at. So whats your point? You cant rely on what athletes say, you have to rely on what the people around them say of his work ethic. So hes not Kobe, last I checked **** load of greats didnt have his drive but you dont get great without trying hard.

If VC was as lazy as you think he was, why isnt he James White, why arent Eddie Robinson and Qyntel Woods the next superstars?

Sorry, but I don't buy that at all...it was only YEARS after that interview was first released that he decided to "clarify" the situation and blame it on editing...like I said, injuries definitely did play a role in how aggressive he played, but that doesn't completely explain the lack of motivated play (specifically) in his final few years in Toronto. Don't get me wrong, I loved the guy and have an autographed jersey of his hanging on my wall, but it's not hard to see that he's a soft, "play when I want to" momma's boy who got coddled far too much by MLSE and the Raptors franchise. With that said, he was still a great spokesman for the team and represented Toronto well whenever he could.

What are you suggesting though? That the decline in his level of play can be solely attributed to the knee injuries he sustained early in his career?

Lastly, come on Chronz, I know you realize how terrible those comparisons are lol...James White has never been known as anything more than a dunk contest dunker, Eddie Robinson and the word scrub are pretty synonymous; and Qyntel Woods was Mike Vick before Mike Vick.

Chronz
09-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Bernard King was SO MUCH better than Vince. And Bernard was anxious to impose his will on a game.

Don't believe Bernard is a HOFer at this point

Now your following my line of thinking. King was an MVP candidate, but if you think Vince missed time or playoff moments. Then King had even less team success. What makes you overlook that to put him above Vince but not Vince above Reggie?

Chronz
09-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Sorry, but I don't buy that at all...it was only YEARS after that interview was first released that he decided to "clarify" the situation and blame it on editing
What difference does it make when he said it? Its not as if it was some big priority he had to set straight. Besides I never took what he said the way most people did, I took it the way he meant it.

...like I said, injuries definitely did play a role in how aggressive he played, but that doesn't completely explain the lack of motivated play (specifically) in his final few years in Toronto. Don't get me wrong, I loved the guy and have an autographed jersey of his hanging on my wall, but it's not hard to see that he's a soft, "play when I want to" momma's boy who got coddled far too much by MLSE and the Raptors franchise. With that said, he was still a great spokesman for the team and represented Toronto well whenever he could.
Vince had one of the worst divorces with his franchise but it shouldnt define his entire career. Plenty of great players have disrespected their former franchises and displayed excellent character from then on. Vince didnt complain when losing with New Jersey and upon arriving absolutely WILLED a team riddled with injuries and way below .500 to the playoffs. He could have done more for Toronto but he felt they should have done more for him so he held back. Again its not honorable but he wouldnt be the first to think of himself and where he wants to go with his legacy.

What are you suggesting though? That the decline in his level of play can be solely attributed to the knee injuries he sustained early in his career?

Its like this bro, he was hungry coming in, provided a buzz in an otherwise dead franchise eventually displaying a rare level of play. He was on pace to becoming an AllTimer. That all of it ending coincides with injuries is no coincidence. I get that he held back, I dont see whats so wrong for a guy who had to carry a franchise for so long with no sign of help to start thinking of his body and overall longevity. So long as it doesnt cost his team anything of significance, and considering how Vince played when he had something to play for, I dont see how hes lazy.

Im not saying those years of conserving your health dont go against him, but Im not comparing him to Kobe Bryant here. I only judge players by what they prove, not what you expected them to prove.

Lastly, come on Chronz, I know you realize how terrible those comparisons are lol...James White has never been known as anything more than a dunk contest dunker, Eddie Robinson and the word scrub are pretty synonymous; and Qyntel Woods was Mike Vick before Mike Vick.

Exactly, so what makes Vince so good? Could it be that he put in work? How are those terrible comparisons if you just proved my point?

Evolution23
09-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Hes gona be remembered for his amazing dunks especially in the dunk contest. But also for the best dunk I have ever seen over that guy in the Olympics.

mamba24
09-14-2010, 01:42 AM
how will he be remembered. is he a hof ? he was one of the most popular players in this decade. with his showdown with a.i in the east conf. semis. and that unforgettable dunk contest. there were the nagatives though.

dude wont have a legacy...

mamba24
09-14-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion and predict he'll make it to the HoF.

My reasoning is he was an above average player and he does have his place in history.

above average doesnt equate to HOF... have to be better than great...

albertc86
09-14-2010, 01:49 AM
No. Keep in mind that Carter dominated along with McGrady and Iverson in a very weak conference. Their teams were essentially one-man wrecking crews; that's all they were. That's why the western conference dominated the league. The entire eastern conference picture changed when some all-stars from the west shifted to the east and those guys (Carter, Iverson, etc) were no longer as dominant. Don't get me wrong --- Carter was exciting and arguably one of the best dunkers of all-time but HOF worthy? I don't think so. By his own admission, he gave up on his teams and the guy is made of glass. Every time he hit the floor, you knew he was gonna cry and miss a few games. As talented as he was, he never really showed the heart.

mamba24
09-14-2010, 01:52 AM
Vince more complete.

vince more complete???? not smart lol...

Shareeb_omac2
09-14-2010, 02:05 AM
Do the olympic basketball achievements count towards NBA Hall of Fame voting? Because I believe he led USA to gold in 2000 while leading the team in scoring(correct me if I'm wrong).

I know he has been in the second round of the playoffs at least twice so I don't know why people think he was never on winning teams...

mvb815
09-14-2010, 03:56 AM
he made it to the conference finals last year, but his performance was less than spectacular so he wont be remembered for that.

he should be in the HOF though, he set the bar in the dunk contest so high that it has not yet been reached 10 years later.

albertc86
09-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Why does his dunk contest performance warrant a HOF nod? There are dudes in the streets that can pull off more impressive dunks. He's going to need a more stronger case than that.

faridk89
09-14-2010, 10:17 PM
quitter...

llemon
09-14-2010, 10:47 PM
vince more complete???? not smart lol...

Vince a better rebounder, ballhandler and passer. More complete. Not the better player.

Read it slowly and perhaps you'll understand.

canzano55
09-14-2010, 11:57 PM
So long as it doesnt cost his team anything of significance, and considering how Vince played when he had something to play for, I dont see how hes lazy.
Vince did have something to play for in Toronto even though it was short lived. The criticism about being lazy relates to his lack of weight training and mass building. Antonio Davis has said on record that Vince never put enough time in the weight room to add the muscle needed to take the hits.

When Vince started getting regularly targeted he couldn't take it and it cost the Raptors dearly.

It wasn't until after he joined the Nets that he finally gained any noticeable body weight and unsurprisingly his regular injuries were infrequent, or at least compared to his Toronto days. It didn't matter though because that New Jersey team was so glaringly incomplete that even tasting a late round playoff spot was out of reach.

Eventually his knees started to catch up to him and his explosiveness that made him famous went quicker than his rookie season.

The irony in all this, at least for me (a Raptors fan) is if Vince hits that fade-away three to beat Philly in game 7; there is no doubt in my mind that the Raps go on to beat Milwaukee and play their first NBA Finals in franchise history. In that scenario, who knows that we would be saying now?

VinceCarter
09-15-2010, 12:01 AM
quitter...

Why do you have to bring LeBron into the conversation.....

tredigs
09-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Why does his dunk contest performance warrant a HOF nod? There are dudes in the streets that can pull off more impressive dunks. He's going to need a more stronger case than that.

Well, he also had a multitude of in-game dunks that completely transcended what it meant to be an elite dunker in this league... including the best game dunk of all time for Team USA. World knows it as ''le dunk de la mort" [the dunk of death]. You know what I'm talking about... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

And don't act like VC has done nothing on the court other than highlight reel plays. The dude was Rookie of the Year, an 8x all star and a franchise player for the bulk of his career. It's not like we're talking about Shannon Brown here.

He's a toss up for the hall (if he fades quietly, it's going to be tough), but regardless if he's officially recognized by them or not, the guy has a firm place in basketball history.

thekmp211
09-15-2010, 12:49 PM
^ if i'm correct there isn't an nba-specific hall. it is all the basketball hall of fame.

i think he deserves it. many less talented and less productive players who have had the luxury of playing on great teams have received the personal accolade. vince undoubtedly failed to reach his potential but even still was able to put together a worthy career. not to mention, he will be around for another 3 or 4. you never know what could happen.

HoopsDrive
09-15-2010, 02:12 PM
The greatest dunker of all time, that will be his legacy. The fact that he leapt over a 7 foot dude in an Olympic game is enough to secure him a place in basketball history, let alone all his other achievements such as ROY, the greatest performance in Slam Dunk history, multiple all-star appearances, etc. It doesn't matter if he makes it to the hall or not, his legacy is already firmly secured.

llemon
09-15-2010, 02:40 PM
The greatest dunker of all time, that will be his legacy. The fact that he leapt over a 7 foot dude in an Olympic game is enough to secure him a place in basketball history, let alone all his other achievements such as ROY, the greatest performance in Slam Dunk history, multiple all-star appearances, etc. It doesn't matter if he makes it to the hall or not, his legacy is already firmly secured.

He will have a variety of legacies. Different fans will remember him as having different legacies.

HoopsDrive
09-15-2010, 03:57 PM
He will have a variety of legacies. Different fans will remember him as having different legacies.

No doubt he will but there's no question that most of the world will remember him as the greatest dunker the world has ever seen. I'm a Raptors fan and the fact that he bolted from my team in bad terms doesn't change my view of his legacy. Only Raptors fans will vividly remember his ugly breakup with Toronto while the rest of the world will remember him as THE dunker of dunkers and the guy that actually leapt over a 7 foot dude during an Olympic game.

Raoul Duke
09-15-2010, 04:01 PM
To me, his legacy is that he continued to collect a paycheck after he ceased to do the work necessary to earn it. There are some pretty powerful arguments being made here that the guy deserves HoF consideration, and some equally powerful arguments that he doesn't deserve my full respect. I'm not sure I know how to reconcile those two stances.

ShockerArt
09-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Reggie Miller is so overrated. He hit a fair number of clutch shots, especially against Chicago and New York, which are the ones that got everyone's attention. But, he wasn't a complete player and the whole offense had to be tailored around him to get him open looks. As much as I hate VC, he was way better than Reggie Miller.

oO ShowTime Oo
09-15-2010, 04:43 PM
VC was a beast

oO ShowTime Oo
09-15-2010, 04:43 PM
He just lost his clutch

michelangelo
09-15-2010, 05:22 PM

That type of athleticism doesn't come along very often. I'd say VC extracted about 60% of his potential. Shaq, 80%. Kobe, 100%+, to the point that injuries have slowed him.

Supa
09-15-2010, 06:57 PM
By less accomplishments, do you mean players with multiple NBA Titles?

Try Calvin Murphy, who is 1x all star and no ring. Murphy does has 17949 career points, although Vince already passed that mark two seasons ago.

Adam Morrison is a player with multiple NBA Titles, but I don't think he will make the basketball HOF.

---

Hawkeye15
09-15-2010, 06:59 PM
for me, sadly enough, I will remember him as a waste of physical talent. He was so electrifying early, then turned into more of a jump shooter to avoid injuries, but never really had the killer instinct to match his physical virtues.
Great player. Hall of Famer. Didn't have the heart. Underachieved. At least in my book

albertc86
09-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Reggie Miller is so overrated. He hit a fair number of clutch shots, especially against Chicago and New York, which are the ones that got everyone's attention. But, he wasn't a complete player and the whole offense had to be tailored around him to get him open looks. As much as I hate VC, he was way better than Reggie Miller.

Reggie Miller is not overrated. Name another player aside from Jordan during the 90's that was double and triple teamed as much as Jordan --- that man is Reggie Miller. That means that Miller had to fight for the ball just as much as Jordan had to. Not to mention, he had a longer career than Jordan and was still being double teamed well into his 30's. Granted, Miller never won that elusive title but to call Miller overrated is absurd. Was Carter talented? Yes, but he never realized his talent. He was a quitter and not nearly as durable as Miller. So re-think your opinion.

llemon
09-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Try Calvin Murphy, who is 1x all star and no ring. Murphy does has 17949 career points, although Vince already passed that mark two seasons ago.

Adam Morrison is a player with multiple NBA Titles, but I don't think he will make the basketball HOF.

---

And your point?

Carter305
09-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Best dunker in nba history!!!!!!!!!!....yes h.o.f!!!

llemon
09-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Best dunker in nba history!!!!!!!!!!....yes h.o.f!!!

Erving the best dunker, and SO MUCH a better player than Carter.

And I know you haven't the slightest clue who Ollie Taylor, Billy Ray Bates and Edgar Jones are.

Rivera
09-15-2010, 10:25 PM
i wasnt alive to see DR J dunk so i cant say anything abt him besides the highlights ive seen

ive seen dominique MJ and VC dunk and VC to me takes the cake as the best dunker ive ever seen his dunk on zo TWICE were disgusting and jumpin over fredrick weiss in the olympics in 2000 forget it BEST DUNK IVE EVER SEEN point blank period

Big Talent....Big Dunks....Consistent Scorer.....Came up short when it counts

does he make the hall of fame? very debatle but ima say yes he has good career #'s

llemon
09-15-2010, 10:41 PM
i wasnt alive to see DR J dunk so i cant say anything abt him besides the highlights ive seen

ive seen dominique MJ and VC dunk and VC to me takes the cake as the best dunker ive ever seen his dunk on zo TWICE were disgusting and jumpin over fredrick weiss in the olympics in 2000 forget it BEST DUNK IVE EVER SEEN point blank

Guess you never saw Kevin Johnson's playoff dunk over David Robinson.

Stop with the dunk talk.

You never saw Connie Hawkins or Gus Johnson.

Vince was/is a dog that would cheapen what it means to be a HOFer.

Weis???? Yeah, we're all impressed.

netsgiantsyanks
09-15-2010, 10:44 PM
leave it to llemon. :up:

michelangelo
09-15-2010, 11:45 PM
He's not a hall of famer, but he had some of the nastiest dunks ever recorded.

Kobe was and is not nearly as strong, always had an inferior vertical, and is not much better of a jump shooter from 3 pt. range, if at all.

Kobe just wanted it more. VC's been on cruise control throughout his entire career, but oh, such talent!

Chronz
09-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Reggie Miller is not overrated. Name another player aside from Jordan during the 90's that was double and triple teamed as much as Jordan --- that man is Reggie Miller. That means that Miller had to fight for the ball just as much as Jordan had to. Not to mention, he had a longer career than Jordan and was still being double teamed well into his 30's. Granted, Miller never won that elusive title but to call Miller overrated is absurd. Was Carter talented? Yes, but he never realized his talent. He was a quitter and not nearly as durable as Miller. So re-think your opinion.

LOL who double and triple teamed Miller?

rabzouz 96
09-16-2010, 05:07 AM

what do you all have with never realized his potential. even with his unrealized potential, this dude was much better than most other players will ever be with their realized potential. yes he said he didnt give a 100% all the time, but thats not equal to being lazy. same goes for t-mac and ai. those dudes are all hof and reached levels over many players who already made it in there.

Hawkeye15
09-16-2010, 08:30 AM

?? I honestly don't ever remember Miller being double and triple teamed. He was simply a clutch shooter who really didn't do much else. He is overrated in the scheme of things, but most fans, including PSD, only remember big shots, etc. They don't remember his poor defense, non existant rebounding, etc. Great, great shooter. Nothing else

ShockerArt
09-16-2010, 10:10 AM
LOL who double and triple teamed Miller?

You beat me to that one. :laugh:

Dynastymetal
09-16-2010, 10:14 AM

My opinion is that Carter should be considered a Hall of Fame player one day. Everyone has their own opinion in which I understand. But I think that if Carter had started his career in a bigger market (like Boston, New York, LA Lakers, etc...) then we would applaud his accomplishments and not dwell on his under achievements. Carter was not only a freak of nature athlete, but he also brought a winning attitude to Toronto. They made the playoffs for the first time in franchise history his second year in the league. Kobe and Lebron has played without All Stars and didn't make the playoffs. Kobe didn't make the playoff when Shaq was dealt and Lebron didn't go to the playoff til' his third year in the league.
I'm not trying so much to compare these guys but I just want people to look at the franchises a player plays and who they've put around their star (or stars) to build a championship contender. Gasol, KG, and Ray Allen will possibly be a HOF one day now because of their trade to contenders. Last year was Carter's first year playing with a team capable of winning a championship seriously. Bosh was still in Toronto and New Jersey still have their All Star guard Devin Harris; how has the franchises since Carter's departure? If Carter is a quitter, he's is accompanied by Kobe, Lebron, Bosh, Stoudamire, Shaq, and etc... All these guys wanted out when their franchises made bad decisions on their draft picks or building a contender.
Injuries would plague any athlete's career. But this guy is one of the best scorers in the league even if people want to dwell on his athletic ability and numbers. He still get doubled in big moments. Just because he not SELFISH enough to go out and put up high individual numbers, people overlook his legacy. Paul Pierce never led the league in scoring but Lebron and Kobe could not stop him in 2008.

Missing56&33
09-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion and predict he'll make it to the HoF.

agreed and there has to be a number of guys considered and a out of that number a few selected so I think he will make it in....barring something crazy like he beat up his girlfriend or dogfighting something like that.

Rivera
09-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Guess you never saw Kevin Johnson's playoff dunk over David Robinson.

Stop with the dunk talk.

You never saw Connie Hawkins or Gus Johnson.

Vince was/is a dog that would cheapen what it means to be a HOFer.

Weis???? Yeah, we're all impressed.

if i said i saw nique dunk in the early eighties so what makes u think i didnt see the KJ dunk??? ur an idiot

and VCs dunk over weis>>>>>>KJs dunk over david robinson

nope i never saw connie hawkins or gus johnson play

but the basketball hall of fame is very easy to make and vince left his mark on the game like it or not....best dunker ive ever seen....thats not y he belongs in the hall.....he just has good numbers over his career which makes him a debate for the hall

mike_noodles
09-16-2010, 04:33 PM
He should be remembered as the greatest dunker of a generation. And I hate the guy. Not HOF in my opinion until he wins a title.

michelangelo
09-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Greatest dunker of his generation: yes.
Greatest dunker of all time: possibly.
HOF: no.

llemon
09-16-2010, 04:38 PM
if i said i saw nique dunk in the early eighties so what makes u think i didnt see the KJ dunk??? ur an idiot

and VCs dunk over weis>>>>>>KJs dunk over david robinson

nope i never saw connie hawkins or gus johnson play

but the basketball hall of fame is very easy to make and vince left his mark on the game like it or not....best dunker ive ever seen....thats not y he belongs in the hall.....he just has good numbers over his career which makes him a debate for the hall

Vince may make the HOF. But he is unquestionably a dog.

And I realize how much more difficult it must be to dunk over Weis than the Admiral.

But thinking about, possibly the best dunk I ever saw was Ollie Taylor's dunk over Artis Gilmore in the 1972 ABA playoffs.

Dynastymetal
09-17-2010, 05:39 AM
Vince may make the HOF. But he is unquestionably a dog.

And I realize how much more difficult it must be to dunk over Weis than the Admiral.

But thinking about, possibly the best dunk I ever saw was Ollie Taylor's dunk over Artis Gilmore in the 1972 ABA playoffs.

I don't feel that his dunk in the Olympics defines his career. As a dunker, he made a statement as not only a dunk contest dunker but also an exciting player to watch (when he's aggressive). I think his biggest accomplishments were when he battled in the playoffs against the NBA coach of the Year (Brown), Defensive Player of the year (Mutombo), MVP (Iverson), Sixth man of the year (McKee), and Eastern Conference regular season Champions (2000-01 Philadelphia 76ers). Toronto didn't have a chance but Carter fought. They blamed for missing the last shot, but nobody blames him for leading them there. And taking that team to seven games. That year they (the 76ers) were the only team to win a game in the playoffs against the Lakers. Iverson, Brown, and Mutombo (possibly) will be there (in the hall of fame), I think that was his biggest statement as a player. All of this was after he lost TMac to Orlando. He was replaced by Mo Pete! Lol! He had A Davis, C Oakley, Keon Clark, C Childs, Mo Williams, D Curry, Jerome Williams and a couple of more "NBA roster fillers".