PDA

View Full Version : NBA scouts: Top 5 players expected to breakout

spreadeagle
09-12-2010, 03:00 AM
Whether it’s fantasy basketball or real life, everyone’s always trying to figure out who the biggest sleepers are heading into a new season. And while every NBA writer/prognosticator has their own views, it’s oftentimes interesting to hear the thoughts of NBA scouts as well. With that said, Sean Deveney of the Sporting News got up with some scouts to identify five players expected to have a breakout season this year. Here they are:

1. Jrue Holiday, PG, 76ers
2. Darren Collison, PG, Pacers
3. Kevin Love, PF, Timberwolves
4. D.J. Augustin, PG, Bobcats
5. J.J. Hickson, PF, Cavaliers

Looking at this list, it’s hard to argue with any of these guys. Especially the three point guards on the list. Holiday finds himself in a situation in Philly where his backcourt instantly got better with the arrival of Evan Turner, and with a year under his belt, he should be ready to become a very productive point guard. Collison is in the same boat, but after filling in for Chris Paul last season, is now the PG of the future in Indiana. As for Augustin, he’ll have to prove that he can legitimately be the floor general for Charlotte. While many people had their doubts about Ray Felton, he did lead the Bobcats to the playoffs last year.

As for the two power forwards on this list – Love and Hickson – they find themselves on rebuilding teams and should have ample opportunity to dominate. For Love in Minnesota, he is only helped by the fact that All-Star quality big man Al Jefferson is now in Utah, while Hickson’s frontcourt got cleared out with the departure of Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Shaq.
http://dimemag.com/2010/09/nba-scouts-5-players-expected-to-have-a-breakout-season/

PrettyBoyJ
09-12-2010, 03:34 AM
I'd throw Anthony Randolph in that discussion as well

FKNRUEHH925
09-12-2010, 03:36 AM
if the team can stay healthy, with the add of Lee I can see S. Curry having a break out year

Evolution23
09-12-2010, 03:49 AM
Anthony Randolph

Wade>You
09-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Don't know how JJ Hickson made it up there.

Jet^Life
09-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Blake Griffin has to prove he's worth the hype.

Antipod
09-12-2010, 05:10 AM
"2. Darren Collison, PG, Pacers" - my choice for MIP

tcav701
09-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Those are all pretty safe picks

llemon
09-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Terrence Williams, Anthony Morrow

Wade>You
09-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Those are all pretty safe picksLosing a playmaker like LeBron hurts JJ Hicksons' development IMO.

IndyRealist
09-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Don't know how JJ Hickson made it up there.

I'm thinking because Cleveland doesn't have a post scorer anymore besides Hickson. Jamison's like 34 and shoots jumpers. Hickson has the opportunity to get 20ppg if they can get him the ball consistently.

VinceCarter
09-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Terrence Williams, Anthony Morrow

At least TWill. We saw the great numbers he threw up with the slight increase in playing time later in the season. Now that he will be a getting starter minutes (whether he's a starter or sixth man) and will be impressive.

Hellcrooner
09-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Darko Milicic.

heattiltheend94
09-12-2010, 01:26 PM
The Neanderthal (Greg Oden). I really hope he does great:pray:

jackdawson
09-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Greg Oden. Probably my favorite center in the league. I really really hope he gets it going. If he stays healthy throught the season and plays like 30+ minutes a game, he will be considered the 2nd best center in the league after the season ends.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Raps want Augustine for Calderon.

Young24
09-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I think lawson/afflalo will have breakout seasons as well as collison and curry

OGMarkWahlberg
09-12-2010, 10:42 PM
"2. Darren Collison, PG, Pacers" - my choice for MIP

my thoughts exactly, id also throw anthony randolph on this list and if healthy il repeat that IF healthy greg oden

xbrackattackx
09-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Darko Milicic.

I would love if that happen!

thekmp211
09-13-2010, 10:21 AM
good to see jrue holliday up here. ucla repping hard on this list.

not sure what scouts see in hickson. he's athletic but a little undersized with no discernible skill outside of throwing down lebron pick and rolls. i guess we'll see how they use him.

6ers, though, could be a scrappy team this year. holliday, iggy, turner, speights, young, lou...not bad.

Ethix11
09-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Mike Beasley is going to improve the most this season in Minny. Whenever Wade was hurt, he would go off for 30 points or close to it.

dnewguy
09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Mike Beasley is going to improve the most this season in Minny. Whenever Wade was hurt, he would go off for 30 points or close to it.

ugh? I must have missed those games...given that his career high is 30 and he's only done that once, where are you getting your info from?

chonbon
09-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Losing a playmaker like LeBron hurts JJ Hicksons' development IMO.

while lebron is a great playmaker, he also is a black hole... losing lebron will help hickson because of the shots he will get and the touches he should get every other play down the court

thekmp211
09-13-2010, 11:15 AM
while lebron is a great playmaker, he also is a black hole... losing lebron will help hickson because of the shots he will get and the touches he should get every other play down the court

yeah but the question is will those shots be better ones than what lebron was feeding him.

$KnicksAndKobe$
09-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Roy Hibbert.

They lost a rebounding hog and got themselves a good point guard for him.

My top 5 to have a break out season

1. Collison
2. Hibbert
3. Love
4. Jrue
5. J.J Hickson

fadedmario
09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Austin Daye will be solid this year

BGeer091
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
My top 5

1. Anthony Randolph
2. Greg Oden
3. Holiday
4. Beasley
5. Thompson

Da Knicks
09-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Randolph, Gallo?

Korman12
09-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Awesome, Jrue recognition

KingsPhillies
09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Valid list, I suppose. Love was a little inconsistent towards the end of the World Championships, but had some great games off the bench. So I could definitely see some of that gold medal momentum following him into the season. But out of everyone on that list, Darren Collison is my pick. Now that he's pretty much secured himself a starting role with Indiana, I see him having a great season. Just having Granger there will net him at least 8apg, I think. I'm reserving judgment on Holliday because a lot is riding on what Evan Turner's role will be, and how well he meshes with the team. And I like that guys like Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings weren't in the poll. They really shouldn't be considered in this discussion since, essentially, their rookie seasons were their breakout years. I would be shocked if these guys didn't improve this season.

Now, I'm going to go the homer route for a second and mention Omri Casspi and Donte Greene. Donte has been working his tail off over the summer to try and gain some consistency in his game, and allegedly even broke the 7' mark(with shoes, I'm sure). Then you have Casspi, who was playing incredibly well last season until he hit the dreaded "rookie wall". He's been working on his conditioning in order to handle the rigorous 82 game season, and put on nearly 20 pounds of lean muscle(he's now 6'9 225ish). Also, as some of you have already heard, he's absolutely determined to solidify himself as the starting small forward for the Kings. So between the hard work both guys have put in over the summer, and the competition that is going to go on between them in training camp, someone is going to be turning some heads this year. But that all depends on PT. If they continue to split minutes at the 3 spot, they'll probably both play well, but won't get the attention or stats to consider their season a "breakout year".

lavilevi23
09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Joel Anthony and Mario Chalmers :D

pistonsfanomg
09-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Ben Gordon is a sleeper

Kashmir13579
09-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Anthony Randolph

dude... Gallo. @#$% randolph until we see him play. the kids got much athletic potential but his BBall I.Q is garbage.

COOLbeans
09-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Dorrel Wright is going to have a very good year

pebloemer
09-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Now, I'm going to go the homer route for a second and mention Omri Casspi and Donte Greene. Donte has been working his tail off over the summer to try and gain some consistency in his game, and allegedly even broke the 7' mark(with shoes, I'm sure). Then you have Casspi, who was playing incredibly well last season until he hit the dreaded "rookie wall". He's been working on his conditioning in order to handle the rigorous 82 game season, and put on nearly 20 pounds of lean muscle(he's now 6'9 225ish). Also, as some of you have already heard, he's absolutely determined to solidify himself as the starting small forward for the Kings. So between the hard work both guys have put in over the summer, and the competition that is going to go on between them in training camp, someone is going to be turning some heads this year. But that all depends on PT. If they continue to split minutes at the 3 spot, they'll probably both play well, but won't get the attention or stats to consider their season a "breakout year".

Greene could be a great candidate. His potential is enormous. Watched him a little in summer league. Seems to rely too much on his jump shot IMO, but if he starts taking it to the rim more, he could make huge strides with his game.

Homer pick for me is DeRozan. He'll see the ball a lot more often with Bosh and Turk gone and he has been a workhorse this off-season. He looked great in summer league.

Names I liked from the list were Holiday, Love and Collison.

sep11ie
09-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Tracy McGrady could not play a second of a game this year and win most improved player this year.

Baller1
09-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Serge Ibaka.

Someone quote me if you want, but this guy is going to be a monster this year with extended minutes.

gbrl
09-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Roy Hibbert.

They lost a rebounding hog and got themselves a good point guard for him.

My top 5 to have a break out season

1. Collison
2. Hibbert
3. Love
4. Jrue
5. J.J Hickson

i like your choices :clap:

thekmp211
09-13-2010, 05:35 PM
ibaka and greene are two nice under-the-radar names. the kings could be dangerous if greene puts it all together and cousins ends up being the real deal. ibaka is the man; he complements jeff green's skills at pf perfectly.

blake griffin and greg oden can silence a lot of doubters, but their only real obstacle has been health. i like sonny weems on the raptors. they're gonna need scoring from everyone and anyone. i think eric gordon has a chance to take that next step; people are paying attention after his strong performance in the world's. he's been good but he has a lot of potential to grow.

masalex1205
09-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Raps want Augustine for Calderon.

right...

drew_ellis_23
09-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Greg ****ing Oden brother

bigsams50
09-13-2010, 05:52 PM
right...

:laugh2: I was gonna write the same thing

td0tsfinest
09-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Hmm..not really sold on DJ Augustine. And as some of the other posters have said, Anthony Randolph could have a breakout season as well. Derozan's productions will probably increase, maybe double. And I'll also add Oden.

Kleonidas
10-07-2010, 11:28 AM
This thread needs to be longer... I remembered it ,but it took me forever to find. It's fantasy gold imho...A lot of good sleepers above...

My top 5...

D. Collison
A. Blatche
D. Gallinari
T. Thomas
T. Williams

Guys who I also like a lot.
A. Randolph
J. McGee
K. Love is going into beastmode, is my one prediction...

beasted86
10-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Is Livingston or Augustin the starter in Charlotte?

Gators123
10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
LeBron made J.J. Hickson look halfway decent. I don't expect much from him this season.

CostanzaNumba0
10-07-2010, 11:57 AM
hickson is nothing but a garbage man, no way he breaks out and becomes more than a rotation player

rockets-fan
10-07-2010, 12:24 PM
look out for chase budinger this season...with ariza gone hes gunna have alot of playin time behind battier, shane is gettin older, with his silky jumpshot and great athleticism, look for yao kicking it out to budinger for a three all day baby! ill also like that ibaka kid from okc...dudes gunna surprise alot of people this year

Spurstowinitall
10-07-2010, 12:36 PM
All those players have already shown what they can do in an NBA uniform. Tiago Splitter is the one that is going to breakout and show the rest of the NBA that is unaware of his international play. That is breaking out. Not improving. Good to see another center come into the league with skills and not just size.

rockets-fan
10-07-2010, 12:44 PM
isnt it funn how every fan chooses a young guy to have a breakout year brom thier own team.....to much homerism now a days....i did the same so im admitting i homered picking budinger....just thought i would throw it out there though

Spurstowinitall
10-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Lol yep rockets fan. But I love Budinger's game as well. Be nice to see him tonight.

Spurstowinitall
10-07-2010, 12:50 PM
The ones outside my team that I am hoping to have breakout seasons are Oden (barring injury), Wall, Griffin, and I really want to see Favors in action.

KG2TB
10-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Add T-Will to that list and my wild card pick is Courtney Lee. He had a bit of a down year with the Nets after a very solid rookie campaign. I think he thrives in Houston and puts up very respectable numbers.

sep11ie
10-07-2010, 02:11 PM
isnt it funn how every fan chooses a young guy to have a breakout year brom thier own team.....to much homerism now a days....i did the same so im admitting i homered picking budinger....just thought i would throw it out there though

Thats cuz you see the unknown guys from your team a lot more than fans from other teams get to see them. You kinda get the inside info.

Hawkeye15
10-07-2010, 03:18 PM
um, basically any player who was good, who now will get a lot more minutes. Big duh on this article

Corey
10-07-2010, 03:20 PM
um, basically any player who was good, who now will get a lot more minutes. Big duh on this article

Basically :laugh2:

Jrue is getting a ton of hype, though. I was watching a 6'ers preseason game and they said he's going to be a top 3 point guard in the East within the next 2 years.

I dunno about that..

Ragun
10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
not sure about JJ cause jamison is still in his way but he'll be a good bench player.

but the rest of the list looks good.

kleiza could be in there too.

KG2TB
10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Basically :laugh2:

Jrue is getting a ton of hype, though. I was watching a 6'ers preseason game and they said he's going to be a top 3 point guard in the East within the next 2 years.

I dunno about that..

Yeah...I can't see him in the same conversation as Rose, Rondo, Wall or even Jameer Nelson.

zachattach
10-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Jj Hickson, Marcus Thorton, Thadues Young, DJ Augstin and D. Collison

phoenix_bladen
10-07-2010, 04:31 PM
how about andrye blatche?

DoJoTheSlasher
10-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Add Roddy Beaubois to that list; near the top.

streetballa
10-07-2010, 07:05 PM
My dark horse candidate is Austin Daye but that is just because I am a homer

dolfan720
10-07-2010, 07:17 PM
i think collisons got it

Rafer17
10-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Throw Demar Derozan into the mix

black1605
10-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Is Livingston or Augustin the starter in Charlotte?

Augustin.