PDA

View Full Version : AI to play in China?

PC
09-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Allen Iverson could be on the verge of signing to play for a team in China, according to sources.
It sounds like Iverson may sign with Foshan after leaving the Sixers for personal reasons last season. It's amazing how quickly he fell off the NBA map, as his fall was more similar to an aging running back than an elite basketball player.
rotoworld

I don't know if it's the same league but imagine Steph vs. AI?:laugh2:

Slimsim
09-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Oh how the mighty has fallen.

td0tsfinest
09-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Damn thats disappointing. Its sad to see one of the guys you grew up idolizing fall out of the loop.

netsgiantsyanks
09-11-2010, 12:39 PM
well, stephon marbury won the mvp award in china, so why not??? it'll be a matchup to die for, marbury vs. ai, but in china :laugh2:

FOBolous
09-11-2010, 12:41 PM
let this be a lesson to all young players..check your egos or you're going to end up like Marbury, Tmac, and AI. all three of those players were consider to be among the best in the NBA as some point during their career.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2010, 12:48 PM
likely since i dont see any SERIOS european team taing a chance on his crap.

Hawkeye15
09-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Iverson was an overrated star, and with his size and work ethic, any intelligent fan knew his decline would be very sharp.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2010, 12:53 PM
He'll sell lots of jerseys, that's for sure :D

DenButsu
09-11-2010, 12:56 PM
I hope so. There, he'd be the superstar that he wants to be, with all the jersey sales and hero status and accolades he seems to need.

He's just never going to be comfortable playing second fiddle in the NBA. Might as well go somewhere where he can be (and there, he really will be) the man.

2_Trill
09-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Screw you haters! This news sucks, Allan did alot for basketball and african americans in general maybe some of you never understood Allan probably because of where u grew up. I hope this is not true!

Burkey3472
09-11-2010, 01:02 PM
He'll be the man in that situation and that is all AI actually cares about.

DenButsu
09-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Screw you haters! This news sucks, Allan did alot for basketball and african americans in general maybe some of you never understood Allan probably because of where u grew up. I hope this is not true!

AI wants to be a superstar. Why is acknowledging that being a hater?

If he ends up outside the NBA this season, he dug that hole for himself by being unrealistic about his fading talents, and unwilling to accept a backup role.

Don't blame messengers for telling the truth. That's not "hate". It's reality.

BkOriginalOne
09-11-2010, 01:21 PM

What exactly did AI do for African Americans? :confused:
Show them cool crossover dribbles and cool hairstyles?

He certainly taught them nothing about how to spell his own name.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2010, 01:34 PM

What exactly, extend the Black= THug stereotype :confused:

97NYer
09-11-2010, 01:39 PM
He'll tear **** up there.

Kakaroach
09-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I think this is the best decision for him considering he doesn't want to check his ego. He can go to China and average 45 PPG and be MVP and all that jazz.

Hustlenomics
09-11-2010, 01:48 PM
let this be a lesson to all young players..check your egos or you're going to end up like Marbury, Tmac, and AI. all three of those players were consider to be among the best in the NBA as some point during their career.

yet tmac is still playing in the nba

Iverson was an overrated star, and with his size and work ethic, any intelligent fan knew his decline would be very sharp.

his work ethic was praised among those who played with him and saw him practice stop saying crap the media is feeding people

Hawkeye15
09-11-2010, 01:54 PM

his work ethic was praised among those who played with him and saw him practice stop saying crap the media is feeding people

Iverson himself admitted he never took practice seriously.

Kashmir13579
09-11-2010, 01:55 PM
rotoworld

I don't know if it's the same league but imagine Steph vs. AI?:laugh2:

they're prolly boys. steph got ai on the phone and was like "yo man, the nba is wack; come play with me in asia."

Jamballin L@KER
09-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Wow thats really surprising

DenButsu
09-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Wow thats really surprising

Why? It doesn't surprise me at all.

netsgiantsyanks
09-11-2010, 02:11 PM

you get the point though, he was signed to the veterans minimum

C-Dub
09-11-2010, 02:15 PM

those are my 3 favorite players, and id be extremely happy to end up like any 3 of them.

JLynn943
09-11-2010, 02:16 PM
It is sad. Sure he's not the same player he was, but he didn't drop off like everyone thinks he did. He was a bench player in Detroit, hence the drop in stats. In Philly he was not one of the top options and didn't get near the minutes he did before. All of this came after a great season in Denver.

Iverson was just mistreated like he has been his whole career. :pity:

Hustlenomics
09-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Iverson himself admitted he never took practice seriously.

he said on stephen a smith's show that he wouldn't have accomplished all the things he did without practicing so he did practice and when he was with team usa in 04 he was praised by the staff because of his work ethic and even eric snow and Aaron mckie have good words for his work ethic.. no way you can be 3rd all time in scoring averages in the nba without practicing at all

Antipod
09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I want him back in the NBA, for the sake of past years ... :(

Hawkeye15
09-11-2010, 02:35 PM
he said on stephen a smith's show that he wouldn't have accomplished all the things he did without practicing so he did practice and when he was with team usa in 04 he was praised by the staff because of his work ethic and even eric snow and Aaron mckie have good words for his work ethic.. no way you can be 3rd all time in scoring averages in the nba without practicing at all

haha, where did I say he never practiced? Of course you can't make the NBA without working on your game. But Iverson did not train as hard as a ton of the greats in the offseason, or during the season. He never hit the weightroom like he should have. He didn't add new things in the offseason.
Point is, he lived of physical gifts. And at his height, when age sets in, the decline is like falling off a cliff
And he will go down as overrated when its all said and done.

E-Man117
09-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I wonder... do they practice in China?

fadedmario
09-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Iverson is garbage

Hustlenomics
09-11-2010, 02:41 PM
haha, where did I say he never practiced? Of course you can't make the NBA without working on your game. But Iverson did not train as hard as a ton of the greats in the offseason, or during the season. He never hit the weightroom like he should have. He didn't add new things in the offseason.
Point is, he lived of physical gifts. And at his height, when age sets in, the decline is like falling off a cliff

oh yes because you were with him every offseason and his teammates weren't :facepalm: he will be a hall of famer so keep hating:cool:

Kashmir13579
09-11-2010, 02:46 PM

i'll tell you who is a hard worker.... RAJON RONDO!:D :offtopic:

Kashmir13579
09-11-2010, 02:47 PM
those are my 3 favorite players, and id be extremely happy to end up like any 3 of them.

LOL. yea, wealthy as hell and eating vasoline

Skippy15
09-11-2010, 03:15 PM

Arrogance at its finest :facepalm:

Hawkeye15
09-11-2010, 03:19 PM
oh yes because you were with him every offseason and his teammates weren't :facepalm: he will be a hall of famer so keep hating:cool:

he will end up in the HOF, that is not difficult in basketball.
And Allen Iverson himself said he hated practice, and it was known he didn't work that hard in practice dude.
Why did he show up lighter for the beginning of the season when he was asked to get stronger?
He is overrated. Not sure how people don't see this. 40 mpg, 25 shot attempts, 27 ppg. Wow. How efficient

C-Dub
09-11-2010, 05:10 PM
you lose fat weight before you gain muscle weight. i was 145 lbs at 5'9 at the beginning of this summer and i went to the gym and lifted/played ball every single f'n day and guess what, im stronger and way less, 140 lbs.

C-Dub
09-11-2010, 05:12 PM
And Allen Iverson himself said he hated practice, and it was known he didn't work that hard in practice dude.
Why did he show up lighter for the beginning of the season when he was asked to get stronger?
He is overrated. Not sure how people don't see this. 40 mpg, 25 shot attempts, 27 ppg. Wow. How efficient

i could almost bet you any amount of money that ANY NBA player, whether they like AI or not, would give him 10 times more respect than you do. HATER

Hawkeye15
09-11-2010, 05:13 PM
you lose fat weight before you gain muscle weight. i was 145 lbs at 5'9 at the beginning of this summer and i went to the gym and lifted/played ball every single f'n day and guess what, im stronger and way less, 140 lbs.

I am fully aware of how the body works. But when your coach asks you to put some muscle on over the summer, and you show up lighter, you didn't do your job.

C-Dub
09-11-2010, 05:33 PM
well obviously he didnt need to. if someone told me to go put on weight and i didnt want to/have to, id tell them to back off. sure the nba is his job, but im pretty sure his body is owned by him, he didnt need to bulk up to be successful. if he liked where he was at then that is what should matter. it aint like he came to practice out of shape, did he? anyway, this specific arguement is kinda ******** so im done with it

Hustlenomics
09-11-2010, 06:02 PM
:laugh2::laugh: get outta here you hater if it's so easy then why isn't everyone getting into it? it's because hes GOOD stop being a blind hater

40 mpg for a decade and then some and he was still able to score with all the injuries and he was the only scoring option most of his career ..not everyone who takes alot of shots can score ..it takes skills to score

thekmp211
09-11-2010, 06:09 PM
^^ this is what i'm talking about. iverson gets a pass because of his grit, his spirit, and his personality. i get it. but that doesn't mean he was an efficient (read: GOOD) scorer. there is a very good reason his teams were perennial disappointments.

Hype
09-11-2010, 06:45 PM

This is a pretty ridiculous statement. Yeah, you forgot to mention that all three signed max deals at the heights of their careers, so what if Marbury and AI want to jam China, they CAN play in the NBA but it's simply more lucrative to sign in China at this point in their careers. Marbury is about to get paid a ton more in marketing his shoes alone in China vs. staying on the bench for the next three years - with a good attitude being required as you say - to play for the minimum. This is an absolute no brainer in my opinion, China is a HUGE untapped market for NBA stars. Fact. :clap: to A.I :clap: to Marbury and :facepalm: to my boy McGrady for not following suit.

Hype
09-11-2010, 06:48 PM
As a side note, I did catch Tracy McGrady's elbow pad when he played for the Toronto Raptors, his last year w/ them, when they played the T-Wolves at the Target Center....sold it to someone in Amsterdam for $60 on eBay, point being - fans are everywhere, the NBA is the best but other countries have basketball as an equal or more popular sport then Americans do.

Signed,
Hype, believe it.

Raidaz4Life
09-11-2010, 06:50 PM
China... the new NBA retirement home

Raidaz4Life
09-11-2010, 06:52 PM
This is a pretty ridiculous statement. Yeah, you forgot to mention that all three signed max deals at the heights of their careers, so what if Marbury and AI want to jam China, they CAN play in the NBA but it's simply more lucrative to sign in China at this point in their careers. Marbury is about to get paid a ton more in marketing his shoes alone in China vs. staying on the bench for the next three years - with a good attitude being required as you say - to play for the minimum. This is an absolute no brainer in my opinion, China is a HUGE untapped market for NBA stars. Fact. :clap: to A.I :clap: to Marbury and :facepalm: to my boy McGrady for not following suit.

I think they have both more than proven they cannot play in the NBA in the capacities they would like.

bahama0811
09-11-2010, 06:59 PM
He really should've just retired. He's just ruining his legacy.

Jewelz0376
09-11-2010, 07:23 PM

What are you talking...Yea since every average player makes the hof :rolleyes:

He is overrated yet he is a 1st ballot hall of famer?? yea ok..He's is one of the best players of his generation, which is why he will be a 1st ballot hof...

I swear some people act like Iverson is Ricky Davis or something..

CB4AB7VC15
09-11-2010, 07:32 PM
what are you talking...yea since every average player makes the hof :rolleyes:

He is overrated yet he is a 1st ballot hall of famer?? Yea ok..he's is one of the best players of his generation, which is why he will be a 1st ballot hof...

I swear some people act like iverosn is ricky davis or something..

x2

Hawkeye15
09-11-2010, 08:59 PM

He is overrated yet he is a 1st ballot hall of famer?? yea ok..He's is one of the best players of his generation, which is why he will be a 1st ballot hof...

I have been to the HOF. If you play a number of years and score a lot of points, you are in. They don't care about really peeling away layers on a player.
Nobody is acting like he is Ricky Davis. Iverson was considered elite because he covered up his horrid shooting by going to the line so much, and got in the passing lanes for steals. But to claim he was at any time a top 5 player in the NBA is false. I am not calling him a chump, but I am calling him overrated, and nowhere near the top 30-40 players of all time.

Hawkeye15
09-11-2010, 09:01 PM
i could almost bet you any amount of money that ANY NBA player, whether they like AI or not, would give him 10 times more respect than you do. HATER

just don't like people calling him a totally dominant basketball player, when he got his numbers by firing at will with monster minutes. Excellent player. At no time was in he in the conversation for best player in the league

Hawkeye15
09-11-2010, 09:02 PM
someone explain to me why Iverson's teams, filled with elite defenders, and efficient role players, never really did anything outside the one year they fought all the way thru to become the sacrifical lamb for the Lakers

John Walls Era
09-11-2010, 09:19 PM
AI will still probably make a decent living. Marbury got 25000 a month playing in China. Obviously AI could make more in the NBA, but at least he'll get to start over there.

C-Dub
09-11-2010, 09:34 PM
just don't like people calling him a totally dominant basketball player, when he got his numbers by firing at will with monster minutes. Excellent player. At no time was in he in the conversation for best player in the league

dude you cant even say that, MVP dont mean nothing? no one said he was a great shooter either, being that and a great scorer is 2 different meanings. he played minutes cuz he could and was clutch. how is he not dominate when he can go make a layup and or get a foul whenever he wants? dude will make you trip off a DOMINATE crossover. last i checked getting fouls was good, makes the other team play softer and makes it easier to score, which is what hes good at. hmm i dont even take anything you say seriously no more, talkin words of a hater

Hawkeye15
09-11-2010, 09:48 PM
dude you cant even say that, MVP dont mean nothing? no one said he was a great shooter either, being that and a great scorer is 2 different meanings. he played minutes cuz he could and was clutch. how is he not dominate when he can go make a layup and or get a foul whenever he wants? dude will make you trip off a DOMINATE crossover. last i checked getting fouls was good, makes the other team play softer and makes it easier to score, which is what hes good at. hmm i dont even take anything you say seriously no more, talkin words of a hater

well, I am not looking for your approval. And as I said, the thing that made him a good scorer, and stopped his coach from yanking him off the floor because of his shot selection, is his ability to get to the line. But to call him a great pure scorer, is false.

CB4AB7VC15
09-11-2010, 09:48 PM
someone explain to me why Iverson's teams, filled with elite defenders, and efficient role players, never really did anything outside the one year they fought all the way thru to become the sacrifical lamb for the Lakers

He had to shoot, Name one other player that averaged over 15ppg before they came to Philly. Good thing you know they were all just defenders. Mutombo 10ppg in his career, Eric Snow? Arron Mackie? Hill? Lynch? None of them could score, so Iverson wasn't really a bad option on offence.....

DenButsu
09-11-2010, 09:51 PM
He had to shoot, Name one other player that averaged over 15ppg before they came to Philly. Good thing you know they were all just defenders. Mutombo 10ppg in his career, Eric Snow? Arron Mackie? Hill? Lynch? None of them could score, so Iverson wasn't really a bad option on offence.....

So then what kind of a team could he have led to a championship?

CB4AB7VC15
09-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I have been to the HOF. If you play a number of years and score a lot of points, you are in. They don't care about really peeling away layers on a player.
Nobody is acting like he is Ricky Davis. Iverson was considered elite because he covered up his horrid shooting by going to the line so much, and got in the passing lanes for steals. But to claim he was at any time a top 5 player in the NBA is false. I am not calling him a chump, but I am calling him overrated, and nowhere near the top 30-40 players of all time.

Who where the top 5 players in 2001?
wasn't AI the MVP?

dhype14
09-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Show respect for AI guys. He is a small guy with a big heart. Good luck to him. He did a lot of good things in basketball. Stop hatingg.

C-Dub
09-11-2010, 09:56 PM
^Den, one that he was the whole team of. Aint his fault he could do it himself and his team sucked.

CB4AB7VC15
09-11-2010, 09:58 PM

So what Malone and Stockton never one, aren't they still great? They ran into the Bulls. Philly Ran into LA. Shaq and KObe.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2010, 10:09 PM
i cant bleive there is people that still is blind bout the Great Nba Swindle called Iverson

Hawkeye15
09-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Who where the top 5 players in 2001?
wasn't AI the MVP?

Nash won two MVP's haha. I don't care that much about that award

KG
Shaq
McGrady
Duncan
Kidd

I could go on, but there are 5 for ya

CB4AB7VC15
09-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Nash won two MVP's haha. I don't care that much about that award

KG
Shaq
McGrady
Duncan
Kidd

I could go on, but there are 5 for ya

:facepalm: LOL Mod the expert....
LOL What ru talking about Nash won 05 and 06?
Ya he was league MVP in 01 and runner uu the year before. All the experts are wrong and your right.

2009-10 LeBron James Cleveland
2008-09 LeBron James Cleveland
2007-08 Kobe Bryant Los Angeles Lakers
2006-07 Dirk Nowitzki Dallas
2005-06 Steve Nash Phoenix
2004-05 Steve Nash Phoenix
2003-04 Kevin Garnett Minnesota
2002-03 Tim Duncan San Antonio
2001-02 Tim Duncan San Antonio
2000-01 Allen Iverson Philadelphia
1999-00 Shaquille O'Neal Los Angeles Lakers

Tmath
09-11-2010, 10:20 PM
It's a shame because the dude still has talent and i think he could still help a contender coming off the bench, it would be nice to see him win a championship unless he sign's with the HEAT :D

CB4AB7VC15
09-11-2010, 10:22 PM
i cant bleive there is people that still is blind bout the Great Nba Swindle called Iverson

Hes still better than any player in Europe...you probably think Gasol has had a better career than Iverson...

Hellcrooner
09-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Hes still better than any player in Europe...you probably think Gasol has had a better career than Iverson...

Hasnt he?

He has two rings as the second option.

How many has iverson as any option?

Hustlenomics
09-11-2010, 10:48 PM
I think they have both more than proven they cannot play in the NBA in the capacities they would like.

yes and they both have accomplished more than you, hater

+1

oh so every body who scored a lot of points and played alot of years make it? so steve francis,marbury,antoine walker, corey magette and a bunch will make it? lol he was considered elite because he was a scoring machine and he got steals from picking his opponent on man to man defense too and to say he wasn't a top 5 player in the nba ever is just blind hate or lack of knowledge he won an mvp so he sure as hell wasn't a scrub like you make him out to be

well if he was 6' feet and was getting double teamed every game and was still able to score and lead the league in scoring then he was pretty damn dominant how come chuckers like monta and jamal crawford weren't scoring champs? you think just because you take alot of shots doesn't mean you'll make them he still led the league in scoring multiple years while other teams focused there game plans to stop him

you gotta be kidding me ..now his teams in philly were great and he had a bunch of talent around him? :facepalm: if kobe had that team he wouldn't make it to the finals he wouldn't even be advancing in the playoffs AI was a leader ..still can't believe todd macculloch, george lynch,eric snow, keith van horn, jumaine jones,willie green,rodney buford,kevin ollie,tyron hill,greg buckner, derrick coleman etc composed of a stacked team and enough to win a ring according to you :laugh2:

maybe he could have led a good one back in the day to a championship and not a subpar one?

Hasnt he?

james posey has 2 rings as a role player , lame point

C-Dub
09-11-2010, 10:49 PM
haters in an LBJ thread and it gets closed. haters in an AI thread and it stays open so people can rip on him more. hahahahaha, this is supposed to be about him maybe going to china, not how great or un-great he or his career is

C-Dub
09-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Hustlenomics is my new best friend ;)

CB4AB7VC15
09-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Hasnt he?

:facepalm:

Robert Horry won 7, hes better than Gasol. Malone didn't win any titles is Gasol better? how many did he win as the first option in memphis?

Hustlenomics
09-11-2010, 10:56 PM
haters in an LBJ thread and it gets closed. haters in an AI thread and it stays open so people can rip on him more. hahahahaha, this is supposed to be about him maybe going to china, not how great or un-great he or his career is

yep and a mod here is flaming Iverson , talk about being unbiased :rolleyes:

Hustlenomics is my new best friend ;)

:hi5:

Hellcrooner
09-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Robert Horry won 7, hes better than Gasol. Malone didn't win any titles is Gasol better? how many did he win as the first option in memphis?

the dude didnt say who was better but h who had a better career.

I doubnt Pau wont be able to get ajob 2 years from now.

nyway this is compeltley offtopic. SO lets stick to the thing.

Iverson and China.

The Raven
09-12-2010, 01:37 AM
better over there then over here

Hawkeye15
09-12-2010, 01:52 AM
:facepalm: LOL Mod the expert....
LOL What ru talking about Nash won 05 and 06?
Ya he was league MVP in 01 and runner uu the year before. All the experts are wrong and your right.

2009-10 LeBron James Cleveland
2008-09 LeBron James Cleveland
2007-08 Kobe Bryant Los Angeles Lakers
2006-07 Dirk Nowitzki Dallas
2005-06 Steve Nash Phoenix
2004-05 Steve Nash Phoenix
2003-04 Kevin Garnett Minnesota
2002-03 Tim Duncan San Antonio
2001-02 Tim Duncan San Antonio
2000-01 Allen Iverson Philadelphia
1999-00 Shaquille O'Neal Los Angeles Lakers

No I am aware of the winners of the MVP award, and as I stated, that doesn't define the best player. Nash was a perfect example.
I listed 5 players better that year. And stopped there. That was your question

Hawkeye15
09-12-2010, 01:56 AM
f years make it? so steve francis,marbury,antoine walker, corey magette and a bunch will make it? lol he was considered elite because he was a scoring machine and he got steals from picking his opponent on man to man defense too and to say he wasn't a top 5 player in the nba ever is just blind hate or lack of knowledge he won an mvp so he sure as hell wasn't a scrub like you make him out to be

well if he was 6' feet and was getting double teamed every game and was still able to score and lead the league in scoring then he was pretty damn dominant how come chuckers like monta and jamal crawford weren't scoring champs? you think just because you take alot of shots doesn't mean you'll make them he still led the league in scoring multiple years while other teams focused there game plans to stop him

you gotta be kidding me ..now his teams in philly were great and he had a bunch of talent around him? :facepalm: if kobe had that team he wouldn't make it to the finals he wouldn't even be advancing in the playoffs AI was a leader ..still can't believe todd macculloch, george lynch,eric snow, keith van horn, jumaine jones,willie green,rodney buford,kevin ollie,tyron hill,greg buckner, derrick coleman etc composed of a stacked team and enough to win a ring according to you :laugh2:

maybe he could have led a good one back in the day to a championship and not a subpar one?

james posey has 2 rings as a role player , lame point

In response to your quotes against me, you are aware of the strength of the east in 2001, correct? Now, when you average 40 mpg, and shoot 25 times a game, there is a really good possibility of averaging 28 a night. As far as steals, those have historically been a poor factor of defensive ability, as it is here.
I think it is interesting that I am being called a hater here . I love Iverson. I really do. But his TS% was horrid for an elite player, and his complicated defensive ratings were not pretty.
AI was a really awesome player. But to even put him in the top 40-50 is wrong

DenButsu
09-12-2010, 04:23 AM

No, I mean be specific, please.

If a team of great defenders was not the correct kind of construction of a team around AI, what would have been better?

Jewelz0376
09-12-2010, 05:14 AM

Name any guard/wing player that consistently takes a team with only defenders and role players far into the playoffs?? Kobe couldnt do it....Jordan couldn't do it...Lebron couldn't do it except for taking them to the finals one year (which ai did) and taking them the the ecf once...In no way am I saying AI should be compared with them, but my point is that one player being the only o can't carry a team to june year after year.. Are you trying to hold it against AI that he wasn't able to make it deep in the playoffs year after year being the only real offensive threat on his team (please don't bring up cwebb or big dogg)??

I saw in one of your previous post you said AI isn't a "pure scorer" what does that really mean?? AI is a scorer... His job is to score no matter if its getting to the free throw line, finishing at the rim, jumpers, whatever...A player shooting 43% from the field and getting to the like 10-12 times a game (shooting 75%+) is pretty much the same as a player who shoots 46% and gets to the line 4-5 times a game...The difference between shooting 41-43% and shooting 46-49% is only 1 shot.

You think any player can have the 3rd highest ppg average in nba history (which he did be4 det) if they can just shoot it 25 times a game when the entire defense is focused on stopping them every possession?? No to mention he has to create every1 of those 25 shots himself at under 6 foot, while seeing consistent double teams...

I'm not saying your hating on AI and this post wasn't directed only at you even though I quoted your post, but I just don't understand how some people don't even seem to want to give AI credit for being a great scorer... They just wanna say he's a "chucker" like any average player could do what he did with enough shots...

CB4AB7VC15
09-12-2010, 01:46 PM
No I am aware of the winners of the MVP award, and as I stated, that doesn't define the best player. Nash was a perfect example.
I listed 5 players better that year. And stopped there. That was your question

So Tmac that lost in the first round that year and has never passed the first round is better then Iverson. The MVP of that year, that took his team to the finals. Get real...

ANKUSH
09-12-2010, 02:12 PM

overrated? work ethic? You honestly think that to score those many points, rack up those many assists and be a top 5 player in the league during the majority of your career.... that those kind of things just fall into your lap? I think that's B.S....you cannot be that good and be overrated/have a poor work ethic...it's illogical....at the very least, you should give him the benefit of the doubt...because neither you or I have ever gone through a season or 1 minute of NBA practice...To say a player has poor work ethic when he loathes being taken out of a game is beyond me....It's like calling an ER doctor lazy when he refuses to go home.....check the hate man.....I do say, though, that Iverson should adapt his game to his age.

NYKalltheway
09-12-2010, 02:19 PM
overrated? work ethic? You honestly think that to score those many points, rack up those many assists and be a top 5 player in the league during the majority of your career.... that those kind of things just fall into your lap? I think that's B.S....you cannot be that good and be overrated/have a poor work ethic...it's illogical...

You actually can... but yes it's illogical. I can think of a certain soccer player in the early 90s who never attended training sessions but has always been the best on the field. Laziest mofo but still the best.
Can't see why this can't apply to basketball. Of course, you need to practice and improve, but when you're already close to the top, it depends on you if you want to improve, maintain your abilities or just let things be...

abe_froman
09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
overrated? work ethic? You honestly think that to score those many points, rack up those many assists and be a top 5 player in the league during the majority of your career.... that those kind of things just fall into your lap? I think that's B.S....you cannot be that good and be overrated/have a poor work ethic...it's illogical....at the very least, you should give him the benefit of the doubt...because neither you or I have ever gone through a season or 1 minute of NBA practice...To say a player has poor work ethic when he loathes being taken out of a game is beyond me....It's like calling an ER doctor lazy when he refuses to go home.....check the hate man.....I do say, though, that Iverson should adapt his game to his age.

i truly get amazed every time i hear how in awe many of you get by points(ppg),never putting into context..thing like how many attempts it takes to get those points.like if you went down to the playground and where told to shot 100 time,you'd shocked yourself if you ever reached 20 points.

now ai was one of my favorite players,lotta passion and heart,one of the funnest guys to just watch.but neither thing means your exceedingly great...as well nostalgia isnt a great way to judge either,which is where i think this love is coming from.i didnt know nor care about percentages when i was younger,i bet you were the same way.but as i grew up,i learned what it meant to be an efficient player,something iverson wasnt

IversonIsKrazy
09-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Stay retired... plz AI, stay retired

GodsSon
09-12-2010, 04:13 PM
let this be a lesson to all young players..check your egos or you're going to end up like marbury, tmac, and ai. All three of those players were consider to be among the best in the nba as some point during their career.

+1

xILLN355
09-12-2010, 04:16 PM
i'm buying season tickets in china :D

llemon
09-12-2010, 04:21 PM
overrated? work ethic? You honestly think that to score those many points, rack up those many assists and be a top 5 player in the league during the majority of your career.... that those kind of things just fall into your lap?

Of course not. That would take a lot of practice.

Oh.....wait a second.......

ANKUSH
09-12-2010, 04:33 PM
i truly get amazed every time i hear how in awe many of you get by points(ppg),never putting into context..thing like how many attempts it takes to get those points.like if you went down to the playground and where told to shot 100 time,you'd shocked yourself if you ever reached 20 points.

now ai was one of my favorite players,lotta passion and heart,one of the funnest guys to just watch.but neither thing means your exceedingly great...as well nostalgia isnt a great way to judge either,which is where i think this love is coming from.i didnt know nor care about percentages when i was younger,i bet you were the same way.but as i grew up,i learned what it meant to be an efficient player,something iverson wasnt

Look, when you're the best player on your team, maybe the league...you are give free reign to chuck it. That's just the way it is. Now when your team is comprised of players that are #3/4/5 options, then you do not have much leeway to be efficient. The balls going to be in your hands when the shot clocks running down, when the game needs to be won, and when you're down by 8 with 3 minutes left. The majority of the scoring workload falls on players that can score....Kobe had to endure it during the 05-07 seasons.....Iverson had to do it the majority of his career....his FG% did go up once he joined Denver, by the way.....why? he didn't have to shoulder the load by himself.....

Career Averages
Career FG 3PT FT Rebounds Misc
Year Team G Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG
1996-97 PHI 76 40:06 8.2 19.8 41.6 2.0 6.0 34.1 5.0 7.2 70.2 1.5 2.6 4.1 7.5 4.4 2.1 0.3 3.1 23.5
1997-98 PHI 80 39:23 8.1 17.6 46.1 0.9 2.9 29.8 4.9 6.7 72.9 1.1 2.6 3.7 6.2 3.1 2.2 0.3 2.5 22.0
1998-99 PHI 48 41:30 9.1 22.0 41.2 1.2 4.2 29.2 7.4 9.9 75.1 1.4 3.5 4.9 4.7 3.5 2.3 0.2 2.0 26.8
1999-00 PHI 70 40:47 10.4 24.8 42.1 1.3 3.7 34.1 6.3 8.9 71.3 1.0 2.8 3.8 4.7 3.3 2.1 0.1 2.3 28.4
2000-01 PHI 71 42:00 10.7 25.5 42.0 1.4 4.3 32.0 8.2 10.1 81.4 0.7 3.1 3.9 4.6 3.3 2.5 0.3 2.1 31.1
2001-02 PHI 60 43:42 11.1 27.8 39.8 1.3 4.5 29.1 7.9 9.8 81.2 0.7 3.8 4.5 5.5 4.0 2.8 0.2 1.7 31.4
2002-03 PHI 82 42:30 9.8 23.7 41.4 1.0 3.7 27.7 7.0 9.0 77.5 0.8 3.4 4.2 5.5 3.5 2.7 0.2 1.8 27.6
2003-04 PHI 48 42:30 9.1 23.4 38.7 1.2 4.2 28.6 7.1 9.5 74.5 0.7 3.0 3.7 6.8 4.4 2.4 0.1 1.8 26.4
2004-05 PHI 75 42:17 10.3 24.2 42.4 1.4 4.5 30.8 8.8 10.5 83.5 0.7 3.3 4.0 8.0 4.6 2.4 0.1 1.9 30.7
2005-06 PHI 72 43:06 11.3 25.3 44.7 1.0 3.1 32.3 9.4 11.5 81.4 0.6 2.6 3.2 7.4 3.4 1.9 0.1 1.7 33.0
2006-07 PHI 15 42:42 10.1 24.4 41.3 0.8 3.5 22.6 10.3 11.6 88.5 0.5 2.3 2.7 7.3 4.4 2.2 0.1 1.4 31.2
2006-07 DEN 50 42:23 8.6 18.9 45.4 1.0 2.9 34.7 6.6 8.7 75.9 0.3 2.7 3.0 7.2 4.0 1.8 0.2 1.5 24.8
2007-08 DEN 82 41:47 8.7 19.0 45.8 1.2 3.4 34.6 7.9 9.7 80.9 0.6 2.4 3.0 7.2 3.0 2.0 0.2 1.3 26.4
2008-09 DEN 3 41:00 6.0 13.3 45.0 0.7 2.7 25.0 6.0 8.3 72.0 1.0 1.7 2.7 6.7 3.3 1.0 0.3 1.0 18.7
2008-09 DET 54 36:30 6.1 14.7 41.6 0.5 1.7 28.6 4.7 6.0 78.6 0.5 2.6 3.1 4.9 2.5 1.6 0.1 1.5 17.4
2009-10 MEM 3 22:11 5.0 8.7 57.7 0.3 0.3 100.0 2.0 4.0 50.0 0.3 1.0 1.3 3.7 2.3 0.3 0.0 1.7 12.3
2009-10 PHI 25 31:53 4.8 11.6 41.7 0.3 1.0 33.3 3.9 4.8 82.4 0.6 2.4 3.0 4.1 2.3 0.7 0.1 1.7 13.9
Career 914 41:06 9.3 21.8 42.5

ANKUSH
09-12-2010, 05:00 PM

plus, call me silly, but chucking 100 shots in the playground with my buddies is a little different than playing in the NBA, no?

C-Dub
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
still way off topic. this should just be closed

Meaze_Gibson
09-12-2010, 05:48 PM
He should light em up. I def wouldnt stop hoopin cuz "they" think i'm too old or whatever. I mess wit A.i. cuz he love this sport. If they don't want you in america go elsewhere. Definitely don't just stop because people think you are over hill though

DMasta718
09-12-2010, 05:49 PM
As I predicted, this is slowly turning into another bash Iverson thread.

BULLSFAN0810
09-12-2010, 06:10 PM
the problem with AI was he didnt want to play PG...he didnt want to sacrifice a few points for assists...he had STACKHOUSE IN HIS PRIME WITH A DECENT TIM THOMAS AND COULDNT BE A REAL LEADER....HE WENT ON RANTS ABOUT PRACTICE...OF COURSE HE DIDNT NEED PRACTICE BUT HE NEEDED TO BE A LEADER AND FORM HIS TEAM WHICH HE DIDNT, BECAUSE PRACTICE IS WHERE LEADERS EVOLVE SCRUBS INTO TEAM DEFENDERS,AND WHERE SPECIALISTS LEARN WHERE TO SPOT UP KNOWING PLAYING WITH A PERSON SAID SPOT ON THE COURT WILL BE FREE BUCKETS..PRACTICE IS WHERE YOU GAIN CHEMISTRY AND SET TEAM EXAMPLES ON HOW TO CONDUCT THEMSELVES.... I LOVE AI BUT WITH ALL THIS ABOVE NO WONDER WHY TEAMS DONT WANT HIM..HE PLAYED HIMSELF OUT THE NBA..YOU CANT TRUST HIM TO BE A GOOD EXAMPLE

Jewelz0376
09-12-2010, 07:20 PM
the problem with AI was he didnt want to play PG...he didnt want to sacrifice a few points for assists...he had STACKHOUSE IN HIS PRIME WITH A DECENT TIM THOMAS AND COULDNT BE A REAL LEADER....HE WENT ON RANTS ABOUT PRACTICE...OF COURSE HE DIDNT NEED PRACTICE BUT HE NEEDED TO BE A LEADER AND FORM HIS TEAM WHICH HE DIDNT, BECAUSE PRACTICE IS WHERE LEADERS EVOLVE SCRUBS INTO TEAM DEFENDERS,AND WHERE SPECIALISTS LEARN WHERE TO SPOT UP KNOWING PLAYING WITH A PERSON SAID SPOT ON THE COURT WILL BE FREE BUCKETS..PRACTICE IS WHERE YOU GAIN CHEMISTRY AND SET TEAM EXAMPLES ON HOW TO CONDUCT THEMSELVES.... I LOVE AI BUT WITH ALL THIS ABOVE NO WONDER WHY TEAMS DONT WANT HIM..HE PLAYED HIMSELF OUT THE NBA..YOU CANT TRUST HIM TO BE A GOOD EXAMPLE

BULLSFAN0810
09-12-2010, 07:27 PM

Stack was a beast when in his prime...idk if you are old enuff but he was getting comparisons to MJ...he was a scoring leader for atleast 6 years. the 6ers had Theo ratliff a shot blocking leader and reb leader. he had Sg idont remember his name but he was a top notch defender, a bruce bowen type...A.i Had a team at 1 point around him...not top tier but a decent team

Meaze_Gibson
09-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Stack was a beast when in his prime...idk if you are old enuff but he was getting comparisons to MJ...he was a scoring leader for atleast 6 years. the 6ers had Theo ratliff a shot blocking leader and reb leader. he had Sg idont remember his name but he was a top notch defender, a bruce bowen type...A.i Had a team at 1 point around him...not top tier but a decent team

Stack had some dope shoes but was one of the most inefficient ballhogs the world ever seen. i remember watchin Philly back in 95 and he was a very, very poor man's latrell sprewell. No help to A.I. at all

llemon
09-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Stackhouse was traded for Ratliff. AI wasn't on the Sixers with both Stack & the Rattler at the same time.

Jewelz0376
09-12-2010, 09:00 PM

I'm 26 so I'm old enough and Stackhouse's prime was when he was with Det and maybe Washing...He was only compared to Jordan simply because he was a good college sg and went to unc...the jordan comparisons didn't last long once he was actually in the league... Stackhouse and Iverson were both too young and immature to play together when it happened, because they both wanted to be the man..

dodie53
09-12-2010, 09:06 PM
poor AI

Chronz
09-12-2010, 10:04 PM
As a side note, I did catch Tracy McGrady's elbow pad when he played for the Toronto Raptors, his last year w/ them, when they played the T-Wolves at the Target Center....sold it to someone in Amsterdam for $60 on eBay, point being - fans are everywhere, the NBA is the best but other countries have basketball as an equal or more popular sport then Americans do.

Signed,
Hype, believe it.

where. did. that come from

Chronz
09-12-2010, 10:07 PM
stackhouse was an even worse chucked. the year he and ai were like one and two in the scoring race was a sad year

Hustlenomics
09-12-2010, 10:15 PM
stackhouse was an even worse chucked. the year he and ai were like one and two in the scoring race was a sad year

was it really?

Chronz
09-12-2010, 10:39 PM
was it really?

can u name another scoring race wit two worse chuckers?

Hustlenomics
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
what's stackhouse chucking have to do with ai going to china?

C-Dub
09-12-2010, 11:01 PM
the problem with AI was he didnt want to play PG...he didnt want to sacrifice a few points for assists..

how bout you look at how many assists he averaged as a SG and then come back with that arguement, cuz it aint valid. Billups averages less and parker prolly too

C-Dub
09-12-2010, 11:04 PM
and ya, still no china talk in here, thread gettin pretty lame

Chronz
09-12-2010, 11:36 PM
what's stackhouse chucking have to do with ai going to china?
Because Stack was brought up by OTHER MEMBERS. Go ask them, I just commented on Stack being overrated.

llemon
09-12-2010, 11:39 PM
how bout you look at how many assists he averaged as a SG and then come back with that arguement, cuz it aint valid. Billups averages less and parker prolly too

AI's assist numbers will probably go up in China.

Hustlenomics
09-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Because Stack was brought up by OTHER MEMBERS. Go ask them, I just commented on Stack being overrated.

he is overrated

Chronz
09-12-2010, 11:47 PM
and ya, still no china talk in here, thread gettin pretty lame

Do you know what Marbury avg in the CBA? Do you think AI can top that?

showtime24
09-12-2010, 11:53 PM
practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

C-Dub
09-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Do you know what Marbury avg in the CBA? Do you think AI can top that?

marbury killed over there, im not sure of exactly what starbury averaged, but i think AI prolly could top it, it depends on the type of team he plays for, well have to wait and see. I think hell top starburys ppg, but not apg, AI will prolly average like 7 asp like he did in the nba and then like 30 ppg lol

C-Dub
09-13-2010, 07:38 AM
can anyone bring up what starbury averaged? i thought it was like 28 and 9 but i could be waaaaay off, i dont even know where i got that from.

heres another question, if AI goes to play in China, which it looks like, do you think if he performs to the level starbury has over there, that maybe hed look into coming back to the nba since hed show that he can still play? ik the nba is a tougher league, but if he shows he still has it and wants to come home, he might attempt to come back.

OR

If he is so dominant over there, would he want to stay there? and end his career there?

Jewelz0376
09-13-2010, 03:38 PM
can anyone bring up what starbury averaged? i thought it was like 28 and 9 but i could be waaaaay off, i dont even know where i got that from.

heres another question, if AI goes to play in China, which it looks like, do you think if he performs to the level starbury has over there, that maybe hed look into coming back to the nba since hed show that he can still play? ik the nba is a tougher league, but if he shows he still has it and wants to come home, he might attempt to come back.

OR

If he is so dominant over there, would he want to stay there? and end his career there?

I honestly think that he's done in the Nba no matter what he does... Cuz if he goes over there and plays bad nba gms will think "ok he's not that good anymore so why bother"...but if he goes over there and averages 30 ppg or something like that....it might even be worse because then gms will probably be even more worried about his unwillingness to come off the bench....

The days of being a starter in this league are done for AI..he's too much of a liability on defense, but I don't think any team will ever believe he will be ok with a bench role and I can't say I blame them...because I'm one of AI's biggest fans and I don't believe he'd settle for a bench role..

DenButsu
09-13-2010, 09:02 PM
can anyone bring up what starbury averaged?

G MIN PTS 2FGP 3FGP FT RO RD RT AS PF BS ST
15 511 343 89-165 26-71 87-108 14 75 89 143 43 2 39
15 34.1 22.9 53.9% 36.6% 80.6% 0.9 5.0 5.9 9.5 2.9 0.1 2.6

http://www.asia-basket.com/player.asp?Cntry=CHN&PlayerID=8850

C-Dub
09-13-2010, 10:23 PM
thanks Den, and i dont think hes a bench player anyway. he is allen fricken iverson. ;) if he plays good hell start. you dont go from mvp to bench role just cuz the nba hates him.

i think AI would average more points than starbury, but less rebs and assists. steals might be a close one tho.

DenButsu
09-13-2010, 10:46 PM
thanks Den, and i dont think hes a bench player anyway. he is allen fricken iverson. ;) if he plays good hell start. you dont go from mvp to bench role just cuz the nba hates him.

i think AI would average more points than starbury, but less rebs and assists. steals might be a close one tho.

In fairness, though, C-Dub, his MVP season was a full 10 years ago. It's not as if he's taking a direct flight from MVP to the pine. A lot has happened between then and now, including 10 years of wear and tear on his body. The man is 35 years old. Regardless of what anyone thinks of how great (or not) he was, I think everyone would agree that much of his success was directly related to the physicality of his play and his willingness to put his body on the line. If he can no longer perform at the level he used to, it really is only natural, and to be expected.

Ace33Bone
09-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I hate to see AI go overseas but I guess his Ego/pride was his downfall at the end of the story... I would have loved to see him play a role as a spark plug off the bench for a contender but I guess it's too risky for any team with Championship hopes to bring him aboard

Wade>You
09-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Iverson is the modern-day people's champ.

Back in the days he was criticized for refusing to sacrifice his game and ego to win a title and it cost him.

Now, he's what every fan looks for in a truly great player.

Wade>You
09-14-2010, 10:03 PM
http://wzus1.qbyrd.com/r?t=a&d=apn&s=zdo&c=p&ti=1&ai=30751&l=dis&o=15529&sv=0a5c4233&ip=d897b711&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.illinoisfamily.org%2Fcontent%2F img%2Ff33988%2Fronald_mcdonald_jumping.jpgThat'd be an great pic to caption.

llemon
09-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Iverson is the modern-day people's champ.

Back in the days he was criticized for refusing to sacrifice his game and ego to win a title and it cost him.

Now, he's what every fan looks for in a truly great player.

Say Wha????

HeaTxRipZz
09-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I really wish AI would get a chance to play some where. Here's the funny thing. I'm pretty sure 95% of the GMs in the NBA are more than willing to let Iverson start as long as he is willing to possibly come off the bench. Something Iverson hasn't learned about people is when there is an uncertainty you have to give them some type of insurance that they aren't wasting their time on you. People are worried he is damn near at the end of the road as a player in general. With that said Iverson should be smarter and say Yes I have no problem POSSIBLY being a reserve and prove he is still starter worthy.

But let's just say a team like Boston or something really wants him off the bench and nothing more because of Ray Ray and Rondo. Why not play the Manu/Maggette/Rip role and score in bunches being the sixth man. So many routes AI can go he has to take a slight step back and say ok what is going to work for me to ATLEAST get on a roster. Once that's done everything else will work itself out

DenButsu
09-14-2010, 10:25 PM
...95% of the GMs in the NBA are more than willing to let Iverson start as long as he is willing to possibly come off the bench.

This confuses me.

HeaTxRipZz
09-14-2010, 10:37 PM
This confuses me.

It's assurance pretty much dude. If Iverson proves he can play I'm sure most GMs won't mind him starting asap but if he doesn't prove so they want to know before signing him he is willing to take a reserve role.

As sure as you may be of a player noone wants to take a chance on a 35 yr old player who may continue to cause problems because he doesn't want to do anything but start games.

DenButsu
09-14-2010, 10:53 PM
It's assurance pretty much dude. If Iverson proves he can play I'm sure most GMs won't mind him starting asap but if he doesn't prove so they want to know before signing him he is willing to take a reserve role.

As sure as you may be of a player noone wants to take a chance on a 35 yr old player who may continue to cause problems because he doesn't want to do anything but start games.

So basically you're saying that if they knew they could reserve the right to bring him off the bench (and he'd go along with the program w/out raising a stink about it), then they'd give him a chance to start?

Aside from disagreeing with this (and I do disagree, I think on most teams he would not be the starter), wouldn't it just make more sense from a coaching/personnel standpoint to bring him in with the specific understanding that he WILL be a bench player, but might have the opportunity to earn a starter spot if he proves himself?