PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs: 1 Dallas Mavericks vs. 4 San Antonio Spurs

Catfish1314
09-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Every summer, PSD holds an NBA Mock Offseason. Exactly what it sounds like, this game is a mock of the real 2010 offseason which starts off from the date the Lakers won the NBA Championship. Posters on PSD act as the GMs of assigned teams and they make trades, draft players, and sign free agents to try to create the best team. These are the Mock NBA Playoffs.

This Western Conference Semi-Finals match-up features the top seeded Dallas Mavericks versus the 4th seeded San Antonio Spurs. The Mavericks have home-court advantage.

Vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series. Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Mavericks:

C-Andrew Bynum/DeSagana Diop
PF-Dirk Nowitzki/Leon Powe
SF-Grant Hill/James Posey
SG-Ray Allen/Michael Finley
PG-Deron Williams/Greg Buckner

Spurs:

C-Ben Wallace/Tiago Splitter
PF-Tim Duncan/Matt Bonner
SF-Danny Granger/Shawn Marion
SG-Thabo Sefalosha/Carlos Delfino
PG-Chauncey Billups/Damon Jones

Mavericks Write-up:

Mavericks

PG: Deron Williams vs. Chauncey Billups. This should be a great matchup between 2 of the league’s top PG’s. Chauncey had a great year offensively and will take be able to do a decent job in this matchup. Deron however is a really good defender and should be able to body up Billups which is often how Billups is successful. Deron is also much quicker on and off the ball. I think this is what gives us the clear edge. Deron should be able to get by Chauncey with relative ease, while being able to keep Billups in front of him on the opposite end. Deron absolutely exploded against the Nuggets in the playoffs putting up 25.8 PPG, 11.2 APG. Deron did that with a significantly worse cast. Dirk, Bynum, and Allen are all significantly better than his former teammates on the Jazz I would not be surprised to see Deron put up 13+ assists with this supporting cast.

Advantage: Mavs

SG: Ray Allen vs. Thabo Seflosha. Thabo is a pretty good defender there is no denying that but he is playing against one of the games all time greatest shooters. Allen is not going to dominate Thabo but with Dirk, and Bynum setting up screens he will get open, and he will hit those open shots. Allen has the ability to take it to the hoop when he wants and he has the ability to just light teams up from deep. There will be no help for Chauncey as Thabo will have his hands full all series.

SF: Grant Hill vs. Danny Granger. This is a no brainer I feel like this is the only matchup in the starting 5 that the Spurs win. As Chauncey and Timmy have both aged and neither can truly be a team’s #1 option they will truly rely on Danny Granger. Hill is nothing special on either side of the floor but his ability to shoot the outside shot and attack in transition will force Granger to stick him. On defense Grant is above average and should keep Granger around his averages. I don’t see Granger being greatly hindered but I hardly doubt he goes off on us for anything more then 23-26 a game. Something else to note is though he is a very good player in the regular season how will he be in the playoffs? Joe Johnson is an elite SG in the regular season but in the playoffs he often ***** the bed. 0 playoff experience for your #1 option is not ideal.

Advantage: Spurs

PF: Dirk Nowitzki vs. Tim Duncan. This is IMO not that close anymore. Dirk went off on the Spurs again it’s too bad his supporting cast disappears in the playoffs every year. Dirk put up 26.7 PPG, shooting above.500 from the floor. It was evident to all Timmy needed some help in that post. His PPG in the playoffs has dropped 5 straight years. In fact despite playing an additional 5 Minutes per a contest this post season his production still dropped. Tim Duncan shot below .500 from the FT%, had his DRTG drop 6 pts from the regular season to the post season, His ORTG dropped a ridiculous 15, in fact name the statistic it dropped TS%, PER etc . . . Tim is on the decline he is still a top PF but in comparison to Dirk I don’t think it’s super close anymore. In fact Dirk even had the better defensive rating in the playoffs.

C: Andrew Bynum vs. Ben Wallace. Bynum obliterates Ben Wallace, Ben is in hard decline is not anywhere near an elite defender anymore, offers 0 offence. He is 6’9 240 going up against Bynum who is 7 feet, 285 pounds. Bynum has height, wingspan, 40 + pounds, youth, and overall offensive skill over Wallace. I think Bynum would easily put up 20 and 11 in this series, combine the league’s best PG and his beneficial matchup and he would be just a monster. Dirk did a fine job containing Duncan in the playoffs but due to the fact that Ben Wallace offers nothing offensively Bynum and Dirk may split time on Duncan forcing Duncan into an even tougher situation. If Spurs try to neutralize Bynum by moving Duncan onto him Dirk will absolutely destroy Ben Wallace.

Summary: First off congrats to Rosh and KOB who made some awesome moves in this mock. I think that they just matchup poorly against us all around with the exception of a SF who has never been to the playoffs. The Spurs are a good team but they have 2 players starting who are entirely one dimensional. Wallace is not even elite at his one dimension anymore. Thabo, and Ben offer nothing offensively it’s like there playing 3 on 5 offensively. My front court offers a far better offensive duo, and arguably a better defensive duo. Deron and Allen are also a fierce back court and in the end all 5 of my players can play on both ends of the court.

Spurs Write-up:

C - Ben Wallace (30), Tim Duncan (18)
PF - Tim Duncan (18), Shawn Marion (22), Bonner (8)
SF - Danny Granger (38), Shawn Marion (7), Carlos Delfino (3)
SG - Thabo Sefolosha (32), Delfino (16)
PG - Chauncey Billups (38), Damon Jones (10)

PG – Chauncey Billups vs. Deron Williams
Two of the best PGs in the game going at it. As much as I love Mr. Big Shot and his clutch playoff skills, Deron has a small but clear edge at the position.

Edge: Mavericks

SG – Thabo Sefolosha vs. Ray Allen
There are two important things to realize here. The first is that Thabo is an ideal size (6’7)/ speed / skill to guard Ray Allen(6’5). He made the All-Defense 2nd team and has shown he can limit the best in the game. The second is that Ray Allen has finally reached a point where his name outweighs his true value.

Example #1 - During the regular season, Ray Allen averaged 16.3 PPG (his lowest total since his rookie season in 1996).
Example #2 – Ray Allen shot 36.3% from 3pt range this season. That is the 2nd lowest percentage of his entire career.
Example #3 – We all saw Ray Allen’s amazing Game 2 of the NBA Finals. Those of us that watched the rest of the series saw this:

Game 1 – 3 for 8 (fg), 0 for 2 (3pt)
Game 3 – 0 for 13 (fg), 0 for 8 (3pt)
Game 4 – 4 for 11 (fg), 0 for 4 (3pt)
Game 5 – 5 for 10 (fg), 0 for 4 (3pt)
Game 6 – 7 for 14 (fg), 2 for 5 (3pt)
Game 7 – 3 for 14 (fg), 2 for 7 (3pt)

Totals – 22 for 70 (fg), 4 for 30 (3pt)

One amazing game 2. One solid game 6. Then FIVE games ranging from disappointing to bad to worse. That can’t be ignored. Allen is clearly the better player but it’s not hard to imagine Thabo forcing Allen into some of those same terrible shooting nights where he practically shoots his team out of the game.

Edge - Mavericks

SF – Danny Granger vs. Grant Hill
I love Grant Hill. I’m glad Grant Hill has been able to stay healthy. That being said… He’s going to be a 38 year old SF coming off numerous injuries. He scored a career low 11.3ppg last season and had his 2nd worst defensive rating in his career. In fact his 11ppg/5rpg/2apg are essentially what I’m getting out of my 7th man Carlos Delfino. Hill disappeared in the playoffs even more only averaging 9.6 ppg. Danny Granger is approaching the prime of his career who throws up 25-30 point games on a nightly basis. If Hill plays him tight, Granger will blow by him. If Hill plays off or tries to help on Duncan, Granger can burn them with the three. This matchup is a killer for the Mavericks because the average age of his swingmen is 35 years old.

Edge: Spurs

PF – Tim Duncan vs. Dirk Nowitzki
This is all about preference. If I had to choose one PF in a must win playoff series I’m taking Tim Duncan. He can score in the post, rebound, and most importantly he is an impact player on both ends of the floor with a tremendous sense of how to win in big moments.

C – Ben Wallace vs. Andrew Bynum
Big Ben is more of a presence defensively but Bynum is better offensively and overall.

Edge: Mavericks

Bench: DJ / Delfino / Marion / Bonner / Splitter vs. Bucker / Finley / Posey / Powe / Diop
His bench is terrible:
Buckner – 2.5ppg
Finley – 4.4 ppg in the regular season and 0.8ppg in 18 playoff games
Posey – 5.2ppg (37% FG) with easily the worst DRtg of his career.
Powe – 4.0ppg
Diop – 1.2ppg in a season full of “DNP – Coach’s Decision”

They are either old, injured, or bad. And in some cases it’s more than one. Who can he reliably count on out of those players to give him anything? Playoff teams often shorten their rotations to 7-8 guys for the stretch run. But no team can win a title with a 5 man rotation. Meanwhile, I have Carlos Delfino. A good scorer and 3pt shooter who averaged 11/5/3 with a top 20 defensive rating. I have Shawn Marion who averaged 12/6 shooting 51% FG with good defense (he’s still getting steals and blocking shots). Jones and Bonner can bring some shooting off the bench and Splitter is deep for spot minutes and fouls. I love the versatility of being able to put a fresh Delfino or Shawn Marion on Allen or Dirk when my two elite defensive starters are subbed for a few minutes. Meanwhile, he has to bring in a washed up Posey to guard Granger and a real life 4th string center like Diop to guard Tim Duncan. Factoring in Bynum’s injury history and his surprising pattern of disappearing in the playoffs and the amount of minutes Diop might have to play is a scary thought.

Overall: It’s a close series of two teams that deserve to be here. When a series is this close… depth, experience and defense find the way to win. The Spurs have the advantage on all three of those levels and deserve to make it to the WCF.

roshan3ai
09-11-2010, 12:48 AM
On defense Grant is above average and should keep Granger around his averages

C'mon Ebbs. Grant Hill is a very below average defender. He's ancient and can't stay in front of anybody. Granger would light him up.

Catfish1314
09-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Ben Wallace has had trouble with the bigger, wider, more athletic centers in the last few years since his athleticism declined. Bynum would destroy him when both are on the floor. That said, Wallace will still get his boards. He always does.

With Duncan at center, his brains would get Drew into foul trouble frequently. He's one of the best in the league at that. When TD and Dirk go head-to-head, I have to give the edge to Nowitzki at this point. Duncan is still a great post defender but he's not the top 5 player he once was and Dirk is still on the edge of his prime. Both will put up their usual great playoff numbers in this series, but Dirk's production will trump Duncan's.

Granger wrecks the Mavs perimeter defense, regardless of his lack of postseason experience. He can score in a variety of ways and while Posey used to be a rugged defender, he's lost some steps since his tenure in Boston. Granger's stats look good in Indiana, but he would be deadly on this Spurs team. San Antonio is loaded with experienced, unselfish players and with a vastly superior unit around him, he would thrive.

Thabo is the perfect defender for Ray Allen. That and Ray's age and recent postseason performance makes this a pretty tight match-up.

KoB pretty much summed up the Deron-Billups match-up in his write-up.

Two great teams and a very tight series. The Mavs have inferior personnel defensively and I think that makes the difference. Between Duncan, Thabo, Chauncey, Marion, and Wallace, San Antonio has the best defensive team in the West. Spurs in 7.

Chacarron
09-11-2010, 01:38 AM
I like this Dallas team a lot, Ebbs should definitely thank me ;)

Sportfan
09-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Spurs just because of ebbs ****** writeup

Antipod
09-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Close one ... SAS ? :confused:

KnicksorBust
09-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Ben Wallace has had trouble with the bigger, wider, more athletic centers in the last few years since his athleticism declined. Bynum would destroy him when both are on the floor. That said, Wallace will still get his boards. He always does.

With Duncan at center, his brains would get Drew into foul trouble frequently. He's one of the best in the league at that. When TD and Dirk go head-to-head, I have to give the edge to Nowitzki at this point. Duncan is still a great post defender but he's not the top 5 player he once was and Dirk is still on the edge of his prime. Both will put up their usual great playoff numbers in this series, but Dirk's production will trump Duncan's.

Granger wrecks the Mavs perimeter defense, regardless of his lack of postseason experience. He can score in a variety of ways and while Posey used to be a rugged defender, he's lost some steps since his tenure in Boston. Granger's stats look good in Indiana, but he would be deadly on this Spurs team. San Antonio is loaded with experienced, unselfish players and with a vastly superior unit around him, he would thrive.

Thabo is the perfect defender for Ray Allen. That and Ray's age and recent postseason performance makes this a pretty tight match-up.

KoB pretty much summed up the Deron-Billups match-up in his write-up.

Two great teams and a very tight series. The Mavs have inferior personnel defensively and I think that makes the difference. Between Duncan, Thabo, Chauncey, Marion, and Wallace, San Antonio has the best defensive team in the West. Spurs in 7.

Exactly. We're going to frustrate his scorers by throwing a variety of top defenders at them. We have the better defensive team, the more experienced team and the deeper team. Our players won't wear down as the series goes on. I really hope we're taking a look at that putrid bench. Has a team ever won a title with NO solid bench players? Diop was 4th string last year and didn't even play 1 garbage minute in the playoffs and he's backing up the injury and foul prone Andrew Bynum? Seriously? With Marion playing a lot of minutes at PF on Dirk, Duncan would have a field day at center. Granger could draw a lot of fouls on Bynum after blowing by a way past his prime Grant Hill for 4 straight possessions. Then it's Duncan vs. Diop for half the game. Ignore the name value of the starting five and look at the balance and chemistry and you'll see the Spurs should win this matchup.

Sidenote: Billups did average over 20ppg with a 60% TS against Deron in that series. Deron wasn't stopping him either.

Niro
09-11-2010, 12:03 PM
close but i am still going with dallas

gbpackers12
09-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Good match-up. Going with Dallas.

td0tsfinest
09-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Damn, this matchup is very good. Great starting unit for both teams but I'm really liking the Spurs bench. San Antonio for me.

Ragun
09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
mavs

unleashthebeast
09-11-2010, 01:00 PM
wow i thought this one would be a lot closer than what it is. the spurs (imo) were the only team that had a shot to beat mavs. congrats on winning the title ebbs:)

Westbrook36
09-11-2010, 01:29 PM
wow i thought this one would be a lot closer than what it is. the spurs (imo) were the only team that had a shot to beat mavs. congrats on winning the title ebbs:)

Not surprised by this statement (Since you can't see that Odom/Camby is a good combo), however I simply LOVE what I can do against the Mavs. I was actually hoping that the Mavericks would win, considering that the Spurs match up quite well with my team.

Hopefully you read the write-up, but it hasn't seemed to work with some you. I wonder if Rocketsrule will actually give me a vote, I've been 0-2 with him so far (Many more most likely, but he's blue so it's easy to tell).

I've actually wanted the Mavericks the whole entire time, and I can't wait for the Magic if I can make it that far.

Avenged
09-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I like the Mavs team much, much more.

They have players to spread the floor, defensive players, a good big, and an elite pf. Not to mention they have a top 2 PG.

KnicksorBust
09-11-2010, 02:07 PM
I like the Mavs team much, much more.

They have players to spread the floor, defensive players, a good big, and an elite pf. Not to mention they have a top 2 PG.

Sounds like my team. :rolleyes: I'm just curious what defensive players he's got to stop to stop my two top options Granger and Duncan. I wish I had put Marion at PF and Duncan at Center for the write-up. Then I clearly win Center and Small Forward and still have a much better bench with Big Ben and Delfino vs. his garbage. Oh well. Ebbs you deserve credit. Great job bro. :clap: No offense to Westbrook but I felt like this was the WCF.
Redraft + Mock back to back championship is still a possibility.

The_Jamal
09-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Gotta take the Spurs here, as soon as the Mavs have to start making subs, the Spurs become the far superior team. You can maybe count Bynum for a Max of 35 mins a game if your lucky, where the Spurs probably get better when the sub in Marion at PF and move Tim to Center. I could also easily see Granger going off for 30+ this series as the mavs have absoultley no one to slow him down. Both are fine teams, but the Mavs just ran into a perfect counter team to theirs.

Spurs in 6

HoopsDrive
09-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Mavs in 7

Super.
09-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Mavs easy

KnicksorBust
09-11-2010, 03:44 PM

KnicksorBust
09-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Gotta take the Spurs here, as soon as the Mavs have to start making subs, the Spurs become the far superior team. You can maybe count Bynum for a Max of 35 mins a game if your lucky, where the Spurs probably get better when the sub in Marion at PF and move Tim to Center. I could also easily see Granger going off for 30+ this series as the mavs have absoultley no one to slow him down. Both are fine teams, but the Mavs just ran into a perfect counter team to theirs.

Spurs in 6

Logical written analysis.

Mavs in 7

Logical mental analysis.

Mavs easy

Other.

A.Mopp
09-11-2010, 04:54 PM
mavs bench is just gross

Ebbs
09-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Yea well the good news is now it's an even playing field because bothe the lakers and magics bench are also crap.

Westbrook36
09-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Yea well the good news is now it's an even playing field because bothe the lakers and magics bench are also crap.

Mines not too shaby, still weak, but not terrible. Peja put up some solid numbers last season and Derek Fisher is a well known player that is able to be clutch in the playoffs. While Shannon Brown brings some defense, nearly the same size as Wade at SG. Rasho is a large body to toss around, nothing special, but should be able to do the job alright.

Catfish1314
09-11-2010, 11:04 PM

Greg Buckner and DeSegana Diop are 2nd stringers on your team.

Congrats on advancing :)

D-Will4Prez
09-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Much closer than I thought but I'm gonna have to go with Dallas as well. While IMO Timmy > Dirk, It's the D-Will/Billups, Granger/Hill, and Bynum/Wallace matchups that give the Mavs the edge. SA has a great bench and great team defense but the previously mentioned matchups are just too dominating IMO.

Ebbs
09-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Greg Buckner and DeSegana Diop are 2nd stringers on your team.

Congrats on advancing :)

I technically have Rasheed ;)

yea and my bench sucks but we all know the NBA is about the starting 5 where stars dominate the game.

Which is pretty proven by which 4 teams are in the conference finals.

Catfish1314
09-12-2010, 12:05 AM
I know, I was just being a douche. :p

Ebbs
09-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Lol I may not do a write up for the next round. I'm going through some pretty serious **** right now.

The_Jamal
09-12-2010, 03:03 AM
I find it odd, more people dont take the bench into account when voting or actually look ath how the teams match-up against each. I thought this would be a much closer than it turned out to be

roshan3ai
09-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Much closer than I thought but I'm gonna have to go with Dallas as well. While IMO Timmy > Dirk, It's the D-Will/Billups, Granger/Hill, and Bynum/Wallace matchups that give the Mavs the edge. SA has a great bench and great team defense but the previously mentioned matchups are just too dominating IMO.

Please, just please tell me that you're joking.

xILLN355
09-12-2010, 04:16 PM
defiantly dallas