PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs: 1 Orlando Magic vs. 4 Boston Celtics

Catfish1314
09-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Every summer, PSD holds an NBA Mock Offseason. Exactly what it sounds like, this game is a mock of the real 2010 offseason which starts off from the date the Lakers won the NBA Championship. Posters on PSD act as the GMs of assigned teams and they make trades, draft players, and sign free agents to try to create the best team. These are the Mock NBA Playoffs.

This Eastern Conference Semi-Finals match-up features the top seeded Orlando Magic versus the 4th seeded Boston Celtics. The Magic have home-court advantage.

Vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series. Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Magic:

C-Dwight Howard/Aaron Gray
PF-Elton Brand/Glen Davis
SF-Marvin Williams/Jerry Stackhouse
SG-Dwyane Wade/Ronald Murray/Antoine Wright
PG-Jameer Nelson/Eddie House

Celtics:

C-Brendan Haywood/Derrick Caracter
PF-Kevin Garnett/David West
SF-Paul Pierce/J.P. Prince
SG-J.J. Redick/Anthony Parker
PG-Jason Kidd/Nate Robinson

Magic Write-up:

First we would like to wish nothing but the best of luck to the Celtics GM's, they have done a nice job in trying to give the Celtic a new look. That being said, We do believe that we have the team to beat in the East and we intend to move pas the Celtics and take one step closer to the NBA championship.

Back Court: Nelson - Wade v. Kidd - Reddick.

We believe this series will be won for us in the back court. Nelson and Kidd at this stage of the game is a very close matchup. Both are physical point guards with great intangibles. Nelson is a terrific spot up shooter and as a result posses an excellent backcourt mate to Wade. While Nelson and Kidd could very well be awash in this series, Wade will have the luxury of going up against JJ Reddick. Reddick last year spent his time with the magic as an emergency starter/role player. While Reddick can be prolific shooter, he lacks the speed and dribble penetration ability to pose any threat to D.Wade on the offensive end of the floor.

The real issue here for the Celtics is that they have no one who can guard wade on defense. Redick lacks the size, strength and speed to stay in front of Wade at any point of the game. It's safe to say, Wade will have his way in this series and could average 30+ per game considering the lack of athleticism this Celtics team offers.

Small Forwards: Pierce v. M.Williams

We can't kid ourselves, Pierce is clearly the better player. But it is worth nothing that this is not the same Paul Pierce of years past. Yes he remains a very effective scorer but his quickness and speed is beginning to Fade. We believe that the athleticism and length of Marvin Williams will pose a few problems for Pierce. We know Pierce will get his 20 a game but we want to limit his chances on the offensive end as much as possible. We do have the luxury of having a decent bench and Wright has proven to be a good defender over the last few years and we feel we can put him on Pierce if need be to take some of the pressure off Williams.

Front Court: Brand - Howard v. Garnett - Haywood

Another great matchup this series has to offer. Garnett like Brand has been plagued over the last few seasons with nagging injuries, both players have shown an inability to stay healthy. We believe that both Brand and Garnett are facing and up-hill challenge in this series. Both players are good defenders and have a variety of solid post moves. We expect to see an even match-up from these two players. It is obvious that we will likely see much of the backups in this series as both the magic and Celtics offer talented back up PF's. Davis is coming off a great year for the Celtics topped off by a great post season. We fully expect Davis to be a factor in this series on the offensive end when Brand is not on the floor.

The big advantage comes for us at center. While Haywood is a capable center, he has been anything but that when he has gone up against Howard. Last season in 4 games against Haywood, Dwight dropped over 22 points per game and 16.5 boards per contest. We fully expect to see a repeat of those stats in this series. It is quite simple, Haywood will not be able to even slow down Howard in this series and due to the lack of size and skill behind Haywood, if Brendan gets into foul trouble early against Howard, every game in this series will be over quickly.

Conclusion: When looking at all the factors and players in this series, we believe the Magic have the upper hand. As mentioned before Wade will have his way with the inept defensive presence of JJ Reddick. Due to the lack of good perimeter defenders on this Celtics team, they certainly have very few options if any when it comes to covering Wade effectively. This series we believe however comes down to athleticism. Due to the age and lack of quickness/speed of this Celtics roster, we expect guys like Wade, Howard and Marvin Williams to pose great challenges for their opponents. This Celtics team remains an average defensive team and really does not offer the same defensive potency the old Boston roster had to offer.

The Celtics did not send in a write-up.

roshan3ai
09-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Magic pretty easily here

Chacarron
09-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Magic.

homestarunner93
09-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Magic win, but who do you think you are kidding when you say you have a decent bench? :laugh2:

Niro
09-11-2010, 12:00 PM
magic hands down

gbpackers12
09-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Orlando wins.

Rivera
09-11-2010, 12:30 PM
wow that magic team is LOADED i wish it was the real orlando team :)

td0tsfinest
09-11-2010, 12:31 PM
When I saw Wade and Dwight on the same team, done game. Though the celtics do have a better bench.

Ragun
09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
no brainer

HoopsDrive
09-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Magic

KnicksorBust
09-11-2010, 02:14 PM
I love that Catifsh took the gamble to shake up a talented roster and go after Wade. His team has legit dynasty potential. There would be ring-chasers and MLE players improving that team for the next 4-5 years.

Catfish1314
09-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Magic win, but who do you think you are kidding when you say you have a decent bench? :laugh2:

Could have fooled me.

Raps08-09 Champ
09-11-2010, 09:57 PM

It doesn't seem bad with a 7-8 man rotation.

Howard, Brand and Davis could handle the 96 minutes up front.

Wade, and Wright would get 70-80 minutes with guys like Wright getting 10 and House playing some SG.

And Jameer and House are more than capable of handling the PG position.

homestarunner93
09-11-2010, 11:03 PM
It doesn't seem bad with a 7-8 man rotation.

Howard, Brand and Davis could handle the 96 minutes up front.

Wade, and Wright would get 70-80 minutes with guys like Wright getting 10 and House playing some SG.

And Jameer and House are more than capable of handling the PG position.

:laugh2:

Do you have Howard playing all 48 minutes at center or what? There's no possible way that Davis/Brand can be on the floor at the same time and be effective, that would be horrible. Brand can't be expected to play more than 30-32 MPG tops, and they don't have the depth to allow that to happen.

Antoine Wright sucks, do you really think he can play significant time on a good team? I sure as hell don't.

House was HORRID this year, and I don't see him being all that great of a backup on a legitimate contender.

Catfish1314
09-11-2010, 11:07 PM
:laugh2:

Do you have Howard playing all 48 minutes at center or what? There's no possible way that Davis/Brand can be on the floor at the same time and be effective, that would be horrible. Brand can't be expected to play more than 30-32 MPG tops, and they don't have the depth to allow that to happen.

Antoine Wright sucks, do you really think he can play significant time on a good team? I sure as hell don't.

House was HORRID this year, and I don't see him being all that great of a backup on a legitimate contender.

Howard plays 32-36 a game at center. Obviously longer in the tight contests. Brand is his back-up and Gray would rarely see the floor. He's nothing more than a wide body.

Davis would play 25-30 minutes at PF. His production exceeds Brand's when he plays enough.

Wright isn't even the rotation. He's a 3rd stringer behind Flip Murray. Wade/Nelson/Murray would make up almost all of the backcourt rotation. They can all score and handle the ball.

Pretty simple stuff actually.

homestarunner93
09-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Howard plays 32-36 a game at center. Obviously longer in the tight contests. Brand is his back-up and Gray would rarely see the floor. He's nothing more than a wide body.

Davis would play 25-30 minutes at PF. His production exceeds Brand's when he plays enough.

Wright isn't even the rotation. He's a 3rd stringer behind Flip Murray. Wade/Nelson/Murray would make up almost all of the backcourt rotation. They can all score and handle the ball.

Pretty simple stuff actually.

Why would you play Brand at center? He would get killed there, and for the time that you have Brand/Davis on the floor together, you have a terribly short and fairly ineffective frontcourt.

That makes more sense, I don't know why Raps thought he would play.

Catfish1314
09-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Why would you play Brand at center? He would get killed there, and for the time that you have Brand/Davis on the floor together, you have a terribly short and fairly ineffective frontcourt.

That makes more sense, I don't know why Raps thought he would play.

Short, but remember Brand has a long wingspan. About a fifth of the time he was on the floor for Philly last season was at center. Which is 5-8 minutes a game. He'd see 8-14 here. In this series, it's not a big deal because only David West is a proficient scorer for Boston's frontcourt. Garnett is not much of a rebounder anymore and Haywood is inconsistent.

In the conference Finals and should I advance any further, Howard would see around 40 minutes a game or more. Like he did in the real ECF this year.

zambo4president
09-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Man Orlando's bench is garbage. C's got my vote as Im not supporting catfish and the 2 most overrated players in the NBA.

Mile High Champ
09-12-2010, 01:13 AM
Man Orlando's bench is garbage. C's got my vote as Im not supporting catfish and the 2 most overrated players in the NBA.

Wow what a fail this is..

Mile High Champ
09-12-2010, 01:15 AM
Am I really surprised that the caves are attack my front court, he'll no. I do however find it very amusing that he is calling out my frontcourt when he has Nazar and Kenyon. Those two names spell title huh?

Catfish1314
09-12-2010, 02:00 AM

:laugh: The Celtics have Derrick Caracter and J.P. Prince as 2nd stringers. At least my bench players are on NBA teams right now.

You're not supporting me? Ok? The way you were on Josh's *** because he disagreed with you and now this? You have got to be the most uptight poster on PSD.

xILLN355
09-12-2010, 04:15 PM
orlando by far

Khalifa21
09-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Magic with ease...