PDA

View Full Version : old players, new stats

thekmp211
09-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I threw up a similar thread in the mlb forum regarding how difficult it is to evaluate pitchers based on traditional statistics like w/l. obviously, the spread of advanced efficiency statistics has changed the way people view quality in basketball.

my question here is which players in the past had a star reputation that their advanced statistics prove they don't deserve? by the same token, who were some guys that maybe missed out on a chance to shine because they weren't filling up the stone age box score?

fire away please.

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Bernard King. had two great seasons, but many think he is one of the best pure scorers of all time

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Kenny Anderson is another. This could be interesting, thread wise. Nice job

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
how could I forget Antoine Walker????????????

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 04:32 PM
I always thought Hersey Hawkins was underrated

thekmp211
09-10-2010, 04:37 PM
i'll throw a big one out there -- allen iverson.

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 04:45 PM

of for sure. Very overrated

Bausman
09-10-2010, 04:48 PM

Thats where "advanced stats" or even regular stats are misleading. Ya his stats might say he is inefficient but how many players coulda lead that 76'ers team to the finals? Talk all the **** you want about him cuz he's a "thug", but he is one of the best players to play the game. THERE IS NO STAT, ADVANCED OR NOT, FOR HEART.

Statistically Lebron is a freak and prolly the best player in the game. If he had half the heart AI did he wouldnt have looked like such a b!tch against the celtics.

Bausman
09-10-2010, 04:50 PM
you guys are nuts... and should be banned from the nba forum.

Hellcrooner
09-10-2010, 04:51 PM
"that guy" in the cartoon movie does not want AT ALL that advanced stats are applied to hgim

hana_nba
09-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Mitch Richmond

he is in the top40 of scoring in NBA history and a 6x all-star.....but how can you be such a prolific scorer and your team only made the playoffs like twice, I'm not sure he was even a top200 player all-time but his stats so otherwise

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Thats where "advanced stats" or even regular stats are misleading. Ya his stats might say he is inefficient but how many players coulda lead that 76'ers team to the finals? Talk all the **** you want about him cuz he's a "thug", but he is one of the best players to play the game. THERE IS NO STAT, ADVANCED OR NOT, FOR HEART.

Statistically Lebron is a freak and prolly the best player in the game. If he had half the heart AI did he wouldnt have looked like such a b!tch against the celtics.

that Sixers team was the perfect compliment to the chucking machine that was Allen Iverson. Great defenders, inside and out. Efficient scorers who knew their roles and spots. A terrible conference that didn't take much. And a great coach whose players bought in.
It has nothing to do with him being a so called "thug". Its the fact that nobody with his pathetic TS% should be hoisting that many shots or getting that kind of usage.
Everyone here respects Iverson for his heart and toughness. But he was not an efficient player.

If Iverson had LeBron's roster from the last few years, I don't think they would have been past round 1, so its a mute point

tcav701
09-10-2010, 05:01 PM
George Gervin was an even bigger black hole than AI.

Robert Horry also has 7 rings lol.

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 05:09 PM
George Gervin was an even bigger black hole than AI.

Robert Horry also has 7 rings lol.

true, but the Iceman was at least more efficient throwing up all those shots. Not a ton, but better

tcav701
09-10-2010, 05:18 PM
true, but the Iceman was at least more efficient throwing up all those shots. Not a ton, but better

He was more efficient but he NEVER passed I mean AI had a few good assist seasons but the were both chuckers overall.

I think they do get somewhat of a bad rap considering their role. I wish the efficiency stats could somehow factor in if the coach instructed them to be a chucker or if they were just being a douche.

Chronz
09-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Good thread
Guys whos advanced stats surpass their per game worth:

Manu (Career)
CP3 (His trad. stats are good but people still compare him with Kevin Johnson and Tim Hardaway, Deron simply because of a 20-10 mark)
Dirk/Duncan (High Efficiency-Low Scoring Averages)
Tmac (Personal Opinion)
Battier (Led his team in WS once)

Overrated
Spree
AI
Walker
Thornton
Guys who put up 20-10 in the 60-70's

ChiSox219
09-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Chris Kaman

Chronz
09-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Good one yet somehow hes underrated to alot of people. FOB has a man crush on him for some reason even though hes a Rocket fan who has seen Kaman struggle like no other against Yao.

Shammyguy3
09-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Iverson, McGrady, Webber, and Al Jefferson

Jamballin L@KER
09-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Def. Kaman

KH12
09-11-2010, 12:10 AM
The first person who popped into my mind was Iverson.

llemon
09-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Thats where "advanced stats" or even regular stats are misleading. Ya his stats might say he is inefficient but how many players coulda lead that 76'ers team to the finals?

That team was put together by Larry Brown to lead Iverson to the Finals. Incredible defensive team. Ratliff getting injured and Sixers acquiring Mutumbo was actually a downgrade defensively and offensively.

They would have gotten through the East more easily with Ratliff, but even with Theo, Sixers would have lost to the Lakers.