PDA

View Full Version : How Does Extending and Trading Melo Work?

JordansBulls
09-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I saw this thread elsewhere, and I wondering if anyone knows the answer to this.

Does he need to be extended first, and then traded?
Or would he be traded first and then extended?

In either situation there seems risks.

If Denver extends him first:
-Do they have to wait before they trade him?
-Couldn't they say "Ha! We have you now, we're not trading you"

If Denver trades him first, to a team he would be agreeable to:
-Could Melo just pull a Boozer, and say "NVM, changed my mind, I won't sign an extension"

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I think a deal in principal would need to be made, where the trade can not officially go through, until Melo signs and extension. I believe it can be offered to NBA offices as such.

GoatMilk
09-10-2010, 03:42 PM
extended right before the trade i think

if he wants to sign with another team, why bother keeping him?
in Melo's case, you've already offered him a contract and he hasnt accepted. he wants out

by signing and trading him, you at least get something in return.
these are professionals. these are grown men. you arent going to con him into signing an extension and then keeping him lol.

you agree to a S&T first.

abe_froman
09-10-2010, 04:04 PM
its extension after the trade/as of the trade,before he is a member of the new team he has to agree to the deal in principal ,if he backs out before sending it to the league office to be approved then it will be called off.

IndyRealist
09-10-2010, 04:13 PM
its extension after the trade/as of the trade,before he is a member of the new team he has to agree to the deal in principal ,if he backs out before sending it to the league office to be approved then it will be called off.

That's how free agent signings work, I'm not sure about extensions though. I think that if he does sign an extension he becomes a Base Year Compensation (BYC) player, and his contract is half value for purposes of trades.