PDA

View Full Version : Pat Riley hits back at Charles Barkley, mocks Otis Smith.

dnewguy
09-10-2010, 03:01 PM
When Otis Smith made a point about LeBron's competitiveness because he didn't stay in Cleveland, I thought it was an absolutely stupid remark, He never made any kind of comment like that when he signed (forward) Rashard Lewis, and brought him down from Seattle to a $128 million contract.

DAMN

Charles Barkley, to me, went way over the top. Way, way, way over the top," Riley said. "For some reason (the media) and the network he works for has given this guy literary license to say whatever he wants to say whenever he wants to say it. I think Charles is the only guy in the league who can get away with what he gets away with ... and we all let him get away with it again. I can guarantee a couple of guys don't like that, being called that. LeBron isn't that. Dwyane is surely not that, and neither is Chris.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/09/10/riley-heat.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

OUCH

Let the games begin already!!!!

Giaps
09-10-2010, 03:03 PM
O rly?

Rivera
09-10-2010, 03:10 PM
uh oh pat riley the god father has spoken

i cant wait for the first Miami-Orlando game it is going to be EPIC

i do think he has a point with barkely though.....barkley does get away with saying alot.....but then again hes barkely and i love it!!!!!!!!!!!

beasted86
09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
uh oh pat riley the god father has spoken

i cant wait for the first Miami-Orlando game it is going to be EPIC

i do think he has a point with barkely though.....barkley does get away with saying alot.....but then again hes barkely and i love it!!!!!!!!!!!

The first Orlando vs. Miami game is the Heat's home opener for the season.

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 03:19 PM
good for Riley. I agree, Barkley has always said whatever the hell he wants, and people go, "That's Charles!".

Avenged
09-10-2010, 03:20 PM

Hey man, no "gossip" bashing for this thread? ;)

justinnum1
09-10-2010, 03:21 PM

It's going to be epic. I expect Howard to play less than 20min. with foul trouble.

The Ooh Child
09-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Barkley is a big, dumb teddy bear with a gambling problem. He is one of the funniest sports commentators out there, and one of the most fun to watch. And there are plenty of other big name people who basically said the same thing about Lebron.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-10-2010, 03:27 PM
let what games begin?

Rivera
09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
It's going to be epic. I expect Howard to play less than 20min. with foul trouble.

hahahaha this had me lol-ing

:guns:

how abt I expect lebron to get mad that wade is outshooting lebron and he refuses to get off the bench ala pippen and heat loose by 12

;)

Wade>You
09-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Riley said what had to be said. I expect him to get some flak back, but I think the whole point is to take the pressure off the big3 and place it on himself.

Carey
09-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Just really boils down to a difference of opinion, alot of people were dissapointed because Lebron joined Dwayne Wade's team, including me, personally i'd just rather see him compete against guys like that, see could he break through and win a ring being the man. I dont really see it necessarily wrong either way, just a different view.

PlezPlayDKnicks
09-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Comparing a two time MVP leaving his home town to Lewis is laughable Riley. Totally different scenarios . Riley is a master spin doctor lol. Barkley is a fool and I don't always agree wit him but at least he's not a pc robot like most analyst.

trade108
09-10-2010, 03:42 PM
The first one Riley just compared rashard Lewis to Labron James. If i was Labron id be pissed. Rashard Lewis is not someone thats a Labron James. Now im starting to think Labron James isnt a Labron James. The Labron James on that team is Dwade..... but thats for another debate.

the Barkley thing is funny because i think maybe it was personal but personal on a "chief" type player. a "Jordan" type player and and being a higher caliber player(Barkley) maybe he was pissed to see someone going to join up with anothe rplayer like that. I kind of feel him on it but there is soooooo much against Barkley with this. Lets not forget that Barkley tried to Join the Rockets with Hakeem to try and get that ring when he failed in Philly and with the SUns. and lets not forget that CLyde Drexler was a person you build around and he teams up with Hakeem and lets not forget Karl Malone going to the Lakers.... so lets not say this whole Heat thing has never been done. But its just never been done like this with players this young in their prime...i am from NYC and i was pissed that Labron didnt come here but im over and i see it for what it is... He starting early to try and win that ring before he gets older( I.E. Barkley/Malone/Payton/Drexler) and leaves Cleveland and joins with someone else on bad knees or a declining game. I get it now.

BALLER71
09-10-2010, 03:47 PM
:laugh: @ the Rashard Lewis.

Otis Smith deserves a C'mon Son.

kjoke
09-10-2010, 03:49 PM
i don thtink riley was saying lewis=lebron i think hes saying before you talk about other players/their commitment and accomplishments, look at your own teams first

whitemamba33
09-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I got no problem with Charles. The media is full of people who only say what they say because they feel it's what everyone else wants to hear. The problem is that everyone wants to believe the same thing. Someone comes along that says something a little bit different, and people get defensive and go on and cry about it. If that is Charle's opinion, do you really want him to go on tv and say something different?

I certainly don't.

As far as LeBron goes...why is this still being talked about? The man left his hometown to go team with 2 superstars in Miami. Obviously some people are going to support it, and some people aren't. Get over it and move on. And that includes everyone here, and everyone in the NBA still acting like this happened yesterday.

SouthSideRookie
09-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Barkley is a big, dumb teddy bear with a gambling problem. He is one of the funniest sports commentators out there, and one of the most fun to watch. And there are plenty of other big name people who basically said the same thing about Lebron.

Yeap, and believe it or not, thats a big reason why he has a job with TNT.

Truheatfan
09-10-2010, 04:06 PM
hahahaha this had me lol-ing

:guns:

how abt I expect lebron to get mad that wade is outshooting lebron and he refuses to get off the bench ala pippen and heat loose by 12

;)

hahahaha this had me lol-ing :laugh::smoking:

topdog
09-10-2010, 04:16 PM
With regard to Rashard (which rhymes btw), he was already Ray Allen's sidekick in Seattle. It was never his team so why not play with a player that compliments him better vs. Lebron leaving his team. Not at all the same.

PlezPlayDKnicks
09-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Riley would respect what lebron did.. When the ship is sinking he runs .. He's done it 4 every team he's coached. He leaves 4 greener pastures. As soon as The oppurtunity is good again he strikes. Guarantee he coaches if the Heat go on any kind of losing streak. He's just waiting for the time to strike. Only reason he hasn't abandoned the Heat is bcuz he had full control from jump. Pat is the best opportunist but u still gotta respect him regardless bcuz of what he has accomplished. But he gets no credit from me for the Miami trio.

IAmKira
09-10-2010, 04:50 PM

Oh snap! Z will own Howard like pedobear on a 8yo girl rite? :facepalm:

justinnum1
09-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Oh snap! Z will own Howard like pedobear on a 8yo girl rite? :facepalm:

U mad?

t_money25
09-10-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm sure if Lebron called Otis Smith and said i'm interested in signing with the Magic he would of had a mini orgasam in his pants...lol. Otis would of signed him just like Riley did. If he would of refused to sign Lebron i'm sure Orlando's owner would of fired him the next day.

lavilevi23
09-10-2010, 05:13 PM
The first one Riley just compared rashard Lewis to Labron James. If i was Labron id be pissed. Rashard Lewis is not someone thats a Labron James. Now im starting to think Labron James isnt a Labron James. The Labron James on that team is Dwade..... but thats for another debate.

the Barkley thing is funny because i think maybe it was personal but personal on a "chief" type player. a "Jordan" type player and and being a higher caliber player(Barkley) maybe he was pissed to see someone going to join up with anothe rplayer like that. I kind of feel him on it but there is soooooo much against Barkley with this. Lets not forget that Barkley tried to Join the Rockets with Hakeem to try and get that ring when he failed in Philly and with the SUns. and lets not forget that CLyde Drexler was a person you build around and he teams up with Hakeem and lets not forget Karl Malone going to the Lakers.... so lets not say this whole Heat thing has never been done. But its just never been done like this with players this young in their prime...i am from NYC and i was pissed that Labron didnt come here but im over and i see it for what it is... He starting early to try and win that ring before he gets older( I.E. Barkley/Malone/Payton/Drexler) and leaves Cleveland and joins with someone else on bad knees or a declining game. I get it now.

WTF was that?

hana_nba
09-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Pat the Rat should have just kept his mouth shut

there is a genuine hatred for LeBron right now in the sports world, and for good reason........is it right for Otis Smith to act unprofessional? NO.....but Riley just needs to understand that there is venom in the public right now out for LeBron because of how things went down

lavilevi23
09-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Otis Smith is just mad his team is not the best in the state anymore.