PDA

View Full Version : Do The Yankees Make A Player Better Than What They Are?

metsfan4ever
09-10-2010, 02:46 PM
I was thinking, do the yankees make players better then what they are. A good example is melky cabrera, only one that comes to mind.

Anyone agrees?
Mention other players.

sixers247
09-10-2010, 02:48 PM
No i don't. I jsut think the yankees get more attention so when u see a mediocre player make a few good plays it seems like hes better then he is. Melky was never good.

J-Loco
09-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Hitting in that line up would make anyone better.

J-Loco
09-10-2010, 02:51 PM
No i don't. I jsut think the yankees get more attention so when u see a mediocre player make a few good plays it seems like hes better then he is. Melky was never good.

Hater

GivenGrace
09-10-2010, 02:57 PM
I think they make a player out to be better than they really are. Which is always good for trade value. The lineup protection and now ball park also have to help.

homie564
09-10-2010, 03:00 PM
do I think the team actually makes the players better? no. do I think that the team's fans/broadcasters make a player out to be better than what he is? yes

Pinstripe pride
09-10-2010, 03:06 PM
melky cabrera sucked when he was a yankee, so no

Rivera
09-10-2010, 03:07 PM
im a red sox fan so ima get hammered for this

i think there was something going on between around 98-04 in that front office or scouting department that really failed them

the yankees used to bring up great players through their farm jeter...posada...mariano...andy....paul o'neil etc and it seems when they were dominating baseball in the 90s and early 2000 they stopped scouting and stopped tryin to develop players because they were already winning they had a young core (at the time) and were just taking every free agent off the market

i know the yankees were in the world series in 2003 but it seems after the red sox won it in 04 they have put more into their farm/player development all of a sudden yankee farm names were sticking around and were on the come up then just easily traded for a 40 year old randy johnson or who ever they decided.....so far well see how much better that farm grew cano is a STUD but joba/hughes/ian kennedy/and the great kei igawa have had their ups and downs but none of them are stars....it seems the light bulb for hughes was starting to go on in the BEGINING of the season but he felll hard i havent heard from him in forever joba is a bum dont get me started on him and the other 2 were horrible i know they got that montero kid for all accounts (from what i have heard) he is a horrible fielder but a great hitter well see what happens when he comes up to the show

so the yankees have historically in the past made them better but i think something happened between their run of dominance to the red sox winning it in 04 put a new found light on their farm and to emphasize their farm system

Bronzbomba
09-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Well melky was a lot better last year...at least serviceable you know?

The yankees mainly overpay players to make sure they stay with them. Ie: Jeter, Burnett, CC, Arod and a few others are all making 5-10 million more than they would with any other team. I would say about 50 million of the yankees payroll is a complete deadzone of wasted money. The yanks dont need to pay players this much more than other teams...who doesn't want to play in NY anyway. They could get almost any player by paying the same amount as another team, or 1-2 million more.

Rylinkus
09-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Derek Jeter personally makes every player around him 10-15% better.

Bronzbomba
09-10-2010, 03:39 PM

When people consider intangible sabermetrics like OBG (on base + grit) Jeter leads the league by .853 with a 1.902 OBG. Clearly, his intagibles are off the charts.

MVP= Jeter
SS= Jeter
Cy Young= heck, give it to Jeter
GG= Jeter
SI cover = Jeter

BigLee53
09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
no. NY media is relentless. they build eveything up, makeing the whole country think that they're incredible. (ex: 2010 NY Jets) if the Philadelphia Phillies were the New York Phillies, people would think Ryan Howard was Babe Ruths reincarnation. its just the way it is.

15carlos21
09-10-2010, 03:44 PM

derek jeter is generally viewed as one of the best players in baseball....if he was drafted by the astros he would not even be considered in the top 25

Rivera
09-10-2010, 03:47 PM
When people consider intangible sabermetrics like OBG (on base + grit) Jeter leads the league by .853 with a 1.902 OBG. Clearly, his intagibles are off the charts.

MVP= Jeter
SS= Jeter
Cy Young= heck, give it to Jeter
GG= Jeter
SI cover = Jeter

wait.....ur tellin me this is a real stat?? i thought someone was throwin a joke or somethin around that

im not questioning derek jeters grit but this really is a real stat???

Zmaster52
09-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Nick Swisher failed with the A's and Chisox, He's a beast with the Yanks.

OptimisticNot
09-10-2010, 04:26 PM
No, Yankee Stadium makes a player better than they are.

papipapsmanny
09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
swisher has always been a 3-4 WAR player, he just sucked with the Sox that one year

commonsense12
09-10-2010, 04:49 PM

i think there was something going on between around 98-04 in that front office or scouting department that really failed them

the yankees used to bring up great players through their farm jeter...posada...mariano...andy....paul o'neil etc and it seems when they were dominating baseball in the 90s and early 2000 they stopped scouting and stopped tryin to develop players because they were already winning they had a young core (at the time) and were just taking every free agent off the market

i know the yankees were in the world series in 2003 but it seems after the red sox won it in 04 they have put more into their farm/player development all of a sudden yankee farm names were sticking around and were on the come up then just easily traded for a 40 year old randy johnson or who ever they decided.....so far well see how much better that farm grew cano is a STUD but joba/hughes/ian kennedy/and the great kei igawa have had their ups and downs but none of them are stars....it seems the light bulb for hughes was starting to go on in the BEGINING of the season but he felll hard i havent heard from him in forever joba is a bum dont get me started on him and the other 2 were horrible i know they got that montero kid for all accounts (from what i have heard) he is a horrible fielder but a great hitter well see what happens when he comes up to the show

so the yankees have historically in the past made them better but i think something happened between their run of dominance to the red sox winning it in 04 put a new found light on their farm and to emphasize their farm system

Paul O'neil was originally a Red and he was traded for Roberto Kelly i believe. Also the MLB did not want teams to pay over slot for draft choices and many teams listened. It helped big market teams that paid more big time. Yankees always paid over slot... so many times players fell into their laps.

ccspence8
09-10-2010, 05:02 PM
No way...if anything it makes MOST of them worse.

Examples: Giambi, Granderson, Vazquez, Damon, Burnett, just some among the other players who've played worse going to the Yanks.

DieHardColtsfan
09-10-2010, 05:16 PM

Examples: Giambi, Granderson, Vazquez, Damon, Burnett, just some among the other players who've played worse going to the Yanks.

Wierd your list should look like this.... Jeff Weaver, Rondell White, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Kevin Brown, Denny Neagle, Javy Vasquez

AJ is the same player he always was- Inconsistant is whole career. So no he isn't worse.

Granderson was injured for a good amount of time and its his first year, Are you kidding?

Giambi was great with the Yankees even juiced.

Damon had his great years with Boston granted, he was declining with the Yanks, but still won a ship with them and played a major part.

but i will agree with you that being a Yankee can make or break you.

#27in2007
09-10-2010, 06:44 PM

your post would make more sense if you took a second to research before you just blurted ridiculous nonsense:

Giambi- had his 3rd and 4th best seasons ever in his 16 year career; take a look at his 2002 and 2005 yankee season

Johnny Damon- had a top 3 season of his career last year; his 2000 KC and 2004 Boston seasons were probably better; his first year as a yankee would be in his top 5 or 6 as well.

Vazquez was horrible as a white sox also; also he was an all star in the first half 2004 with the yankees, and then had shoulder issues that killed him in the second half

Burnett is inconsistent and basically that has been the book on him;

granderson has played 3/4 of a season with them so I wouldn't jump to conclusions as to how it will turn out for him;

you could have made a better case by picking guys like pavano, jeff weaver, kevin brown, randy johnson etc... instead your hate blinded any sensibility

DieHardColtsfan
09-10-2010, 07:03 PM
your post would make more sense if you took a second to research before you just blurted ridiculous nonsense:

Giambi- had his 3rd and 4th best seasons ever in his 16 year career; take a look at his 2002 and 2005 yankee season

Johnny Damon- had a top 3 season of his career last year; his 2000 KC and 2004 Boston seasons were probably better; his first year as a yankee would be in his top 5 or 6 as well.

Vazquez was horrible as a white sox also; also he was an all star in the first half 2004 with the yankees, and then had shoulder issues that killed him in the second half

Burnett is inconsistent and basically that has been the book on him;

granderson has played 3/4 of a season with them so I wouldn't jump to conclusions as to how it will turn out for him;

you could have made a better case by picking guys like pavano, jeff weaver, kevin brown, randy johnson etc... instead your hate blinded any sensibility

lol, do you realize i posted just about an identical post right above yours lol.

Gigantes4Life
09-10-2010, 07:11 PM
I agree. Just look at Carl Pavano.

TO Rapz
09-10-2010, 07:15 PM
I know everyone is saying no. But I actually have a theory. As a soccer player myself, I do think that once you play for that "legendary" club, it automatically pushes you to be the best of your abilities. The reason is, people are watching you everywhere. You have more followers, and you have expectations in which you only get one chance with this team. If you dont perform, you will be regarded as a failure and you want to stick around with this team. This is why, a lot of times, players for teams such as the Yankees will play way above their heads, simply because..well they have to! If they dont, they ll get bashed. I dont know if people will agree, or understand what im saying, but this has happened to me.

Natinals
09-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Nick Swisher failed with the A's and Chisox, He's a beast with the Yanks.

perfect example. His batting average is up like 30 points or so above his career average. He is having yet another monster and underrated season.

theslick1
09-10-2010, 07:43 PM
perfect example. His batting average is up like 30 points or so above his career average. He is having yet another monster and underrated season.

Swisher is having a great year, but the guy he was traded for, Wilson Betemit was awful in New York. So were two of this season's acquisitions, Randy Winn and Chan Ho Park. Javier Vazquez has certainly had his problems in NY. Like Vazquez, Kenny Rogers was much better pitching for teams other than the Yankees. Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright, of course, were flops, although both were injured more often than not.

Bottom line is that playing for the Yankees does not necessarily improve the player although it may seem that way because the guys who stick around more than a year or two adapt to playing in NY and the Yankees system and do well while the guys who don't find themselves elsewhere.

JDMac80
09-10-2010, 07:47 PM

You are so close yet miles off at the same time...their strategy changed in 98 b/c Cashman was promoted to GM and he brought a new philosophy, spend. they made so much money from their success in 96-00 that they felt they could simply spend the excess on talent. their problem is they spent it on names. every time they signed a top tier free agent, they lost top draft picks, thus depleating their farm system and forcing them to replenish talent through free agency, and again, and again, creating a spend first cycle. they added to this by trading some of their young talent away for the alure of the big name (brown, johnson, etc).

They then had a philosophical change to replenish the farm since that is what fueled their recent dynasty and free agency ended up wasting $$ in a lot of instances. since then they have established their current team which only has 3 key free agents (Tex, CC, AJ). the rest is a result of focusing on the farm and development. they are primarily comprised of home grown players and guys they traded home grown players for.

The luxury that the yankees possess is not that they sign anyone they want. its that when they sign a mistake, they dont blink. take the Mets for example. they made bad moves with Castillo and Perez. the difference is they will suffer through the length of their contract with them failing on the big league starting roster. the yanks simply recognize their mistakes and move on (Pavano, Igawa, Contreras, etc).

oak2455
09-10-2010, 07:50 PM

98,99,2000, won.......2001 lost WS 2003 lost WS were you sleeping:confused:

oak2455
09-10-2010, 07:51 PM
No, Yankee Stadium makes a player better than they are.

:confused: Lost:facepalm:

JDMac80
09-10-2010, 07:54 PM
to answer the OP, the team plays into the NY media and hypes players. plus they are the most popular team in the league so when a star player in their system is about to come up their fans know and talk about it. they simply have more fans leading to more people talking about these young guys. this is the yankee over-hyping at its core. plus the team is currently good. nobody is talking about the next great Oriole or Pirate because nobody cares. if that guy has a huge impact when he arrives he changes that team from the worst team to a really bad team. when a guy comes up for the 3rd best team and turns them into the best team, the value is recognizable.

Jeffy25
09-10-2010, 07:55 PM
his name is Javier Vazquez

ShinobiNYC
09-10-2010, 08:06 PM
no. NY media is relentless. they build eveything up, makeing the whole country think that they're incredible. (ex: 2010 NY Jets) if the Philadelphia Phillies were the New York Phillies, people would think Ryan Howard was Babe Ruths reincarnation. its just the way it is.

Using your failed analogy every NY media says Teixeira is Lou Gehrig and Cano is better than Joe Morgan and Rod Carew combined....Am I wrong?

Crucis
09-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I was thinking, do the yankees make players better then what they are. A good example is melky cabrera, only one that comes to mind.

Anyone agrees?
Mention other players.

How about how a thread looks really lame when the OP can't even spell a simple word in the subject title correctly ... such as "than", not "then". :facepalm:

RocketPower2010
09-10-2010, 10:22 PM

?????????????????????

misterd
09-10-2010, 11:02 PM

That was all George.

When The Boss was suspended until... '03?... Stick Michael ran the club and he avoided the Boss's habits of bad trades, moving promising prospects for past their prime players. Stick and Buck Showalter worked hard to remake the franchise into a particular image. And it worked.

When George came back, he saw it was working, and only helped by opening the spigots again, allowing the addition of key FA's like Jimmy Key and Wade Boggs and (later) David Cone.

When they failed in the post season in 1995, The Boss reasserted himself to a degree, and partly remade the team with Watson and Torre at its helm, even though the team's core was still of the Stick/Buck era.

As long as this model worked, the Boss tended to stay uninvolved (for him) in decisions, but keeping his wallet open.

As the team declined after '00 (and I'd say earlier) George became more involved in the team's decisions again, and his famous impatience often led to poor decisions, like overpaying for older pitchers (Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson).

When Brian Cashman's contract expired, George's health had largely removed him from the day-to-day operations. Cash saw an opportunity and told the Yankees that either he ran the team his way without constant interference from Tampa, or he would walk. Amazingly, the Yankees blinked.

Thus the Yanks went from a conflicted mess in the early 00s, a result of the conflict between NY and Tampa, to one largely run by Cashman, who places more emphasis on development, youth and athletecism than George ever did.

misterd
09-10-2010, 11:06 PM
98,99,2000, won.......2001 lost WS 2003 lost WS were you sleeping:confused:

I think he's referring to the people responsible for developing players. Most of the system-developed players (Bernie, Jeter, Pettite, Mo, Posada, Mendoza) were drafted/signed in the Michael/Showalter era. After that, the Yanks didn't have many players that were considered top prospects, few that had good MLB careers, and even fewer that stayed with the team. Reallly, outside Cano and Wang, how many Yankee prospects drafted or signed in that period had any real success with the team?

Sfish2
09-10-2010, 11:16 PM

didnt come up through there farm system

oak2455
09-10-2010, 11:29 PM
I think he's referring to the people responsible for developing players. Most of the system-developed players (Bernie, Jeter, Pettite, Mo, Posada, Mendoza) were drafted/signed in the Michael/Showalter era. After that, the Yanks didn't have many players that were considered top prospects, few that had good MLB careers, and even fewer that stayed with the team. Reallly, outside Cano and Wang, how many Yankee prospects drafted or signed in that period had any real success with the team?

I know what he was saying.......just another upset Sox fan:cry:

snspacer31
09-11-2010, 12:46 AM
do any yankee fans remember when melky robbed manny that night in yankee stadium.. that is how he won us over... but seriously its your own teams fault for believing the hype... don't believe the hype

Mr Haha
09-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Believe the hype. Forget the statistical analysis. Putting on the pinstripes and getting welcomed by the bleacher creature roll call jacks a player up and helps them perform at their highest.

Rylinkus
09-11-2010, 12:28 PM

If anything, Kevin Long made Swisher a better player. He's chnaged his approach at the plate. Basically he's swinging at the more hittable pitchers he sees this season, when in the past he's taken them working for a walk.

bagwell368
09-11-2010, 12:52 PM
derek jeter is generally viewed as one of the best players in baseball....if he was drafted by the astros he would not even be considered in the top 25

Whoa Nellie.

Biggio was an Astro, and he's going to Cooperstown, and he was well appreciated around the country - not as much as forced down the throat Jeter, but then again Jeter has some hardware.

Also Knoblauch:

Quietly putting together some seasons in Minn:

Minn (last 4 years) WAR: 3.8, 6.5, 8.8, 6.4
NYY (first 4 years) WAR: 3.1, 2.8, 0.1, 0.6

Minn Errors: 3, 10, 8, 11
NYY Errors: 13, 26, 15, 02 (in LF)

Came over for age 29, working on what appeared to be a HOF or near HOF career - and wham-o. That's one guy it didn't help.

MelanconMadness
09-11-2010, 01:46 PM

if your going to rip the yankees, get the facts straight at least. O'Neill, signed by the Yankees, not brought up. He was with the Reds

Mike Oxlong
09-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I thought the answer was the name of their network?

TheNatural797
09-11-2010, 02:25 PM
if your going to rip the yankees, get the facts straight at least. O'Neill, signed by the Yankees, not brought up. He was with the Reds

if your gonna get the facts "straight" actually get them straight

Paul O'Neill was traded for Roberto Kelly

Russollini
09-11-2010, 02:55 PM

O'neil stunk as a red and we traded for him using a then stud prospect in Hal Morris. Morris was traded because he was blocked by Donnie Baseball.

Igawa was a response to another bad pick up be the Red Sox named Matsusucky. They both came from overseas.

Hughes is good, and showed it last year and this. He will be our number 2 going into next year. Melky did what we needed in this lineup. Joba was ruined by the rules and the switching back and forth. Kennedy was always a 4th or 5th starter, never thought to be a top of the rotation pitcher. Gardener, Jackson, Montero, Romine and the list goes on are all good players. Yes we lapsed for a while, but the reality was that we were in a win now mode then, and now we are in a win now and later.

Yankees Suck
09-11-2010, 03:43 PM
O'neil stunk as a red and we traded for him using a then stud prospect in Hal Morris. Morris was traded because he was blocked by Donnie Baseball.

Igawa was a response to another bad pick up be the Red Sox named Matsusucky. They both came from overseas.

Hughes is good, and showed it last year and this. He will be our number 2 going into next year. Melky did what we needed in this lineup. Joba was ruined by the rules and the switching back and forth. Kennedy was always a 4th or 5th starter, never thought to be a top of the rotation pitcher. Gardener, Jackson, Montero, Romine and the list goes on are all good players. Yes we lapsed for a while, but the reality was that we were in a win now mode then, and now we are in a win now and later.

Igawa makes Daisuke Matsuzaka look like a god.

yanks08
09-11-2010, 03:51 PM

:eyebrow:

MelanconMadness
09-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Whoa whoa whoa. Come on. A God? Igawa is garbage, but Matsuzaka was paid ALOT more, to achieve ALOT more, but has failed to do so.

runnermjr1296
09-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Man the haters will have a field day with this post! Realistically though I don't know if its just the YANKEES,if you play on a very good team you will probably perform better.Any one who has ever played sports can tell you that. You tend to play to the higher level.

NYY NYJ NYK
09-11-2010, 05:38 PM

nah their both garbage.

But Dice-K did provide some value back

Russollini
09-11-2010, 06:36 PM

Right. at least we did not pay 100 Million Plus over 6 years to find out he stinks. Granted only 52 million was in salary and the rest was just to talk to him.

it only cost us 20 million over 5.

JDMac80
09-11-2010, 11:24 PM
if your gonna get the facts "straight" actually get them straight

Paul O'Neill was traded for Roberto Kelly

:laugh:

huskerslam
09-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Yankees fans think so. One championship in the last 9 years but you'd think they won all 9 based on the overhype that ESPN and YES produce.

arosen36
09-11-2010, 11:55 PM
the yankees pay players better than what they are

thefeckcampaign
09-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Definitely not. In fact, there is a lot of talk in the media of whether or not can a player handle New York or not. Some players come to New York who were great somewhere else and just bomb.

flea
09-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Playing for the Yankees is neither a skill nor an asset. Yankees fans really want to believe one way or the other that it's some special character that can play in New York or that playing there inspires players to be better but both are absolutely false.

Players face the media everywhere, and places like Chicago and Philly may be even worse than New York. There may be a very limited number of players who can't take reading bad stuff about themselves everyday but these are very few and it rarely happens. Good players succeed, bad players disappoint - just like everywhere else.

SouljahPhil...
09-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Yankees fans think so. One championship in the last 9 years but you'd think they won all 9 based on the overhype that ESPN and YES produce.

LOL>..:facepalm: can you check division titles and league championship... so what did your team won in those 9 years? Only problem with yanks is that if you don't win a world series it is considered a failure by most..

pandoro1969
09-12-2010, 02:24 PM
this is insane. yanks dont make players better. their money gets them the good players

ShinobiNYC
09-12-2010, 02:46 PM
We should be glad we live in a day and age that every player is available to be watched and analyzed anywhere/anytime, so basically everybody knows how good Pujols is and why he is the best player...He doesn't have be a yankee or in the spotlight of the media for us to know that.

Those arguments about being a yankee makes someone better(or just look better) may work more in the 50s-60s but not now sorry....At least not by the dedicated average baseball fan(like most of us are).

Crucis
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
this is insane. yanks dont make players better. their money gets them the good players

I don't think that it's totally insane. I think that one could argue that if a team is smart about acquiring players whose talents fit well with their home ballpark, you can maximize their performance ... which can in turn make it appear that playing on THAT team is making the player "better".

For example, Johnny Damon. Damon's not really a 20+ HR hitter and wouldn't be in any home park with a normal depth RF. But in Yankee Stadium with its short RF, Damon ends up looking better. That's not a diss against Damon or the Yankees. Certain teams have parks that favor lefties or righties, and if those teams get players that take advantage of that fact, those players can look "better" than they really may be in a more neutral ballpark.