PDA

View Full Version : Dime Magazine: Luis scola on the short list of the best Power Fowards in the world

D Roses Bulls
09-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Always thought he was underrated.....

If you haven’t been paying attention for the last week and a half, it’s past time now to put Luis Scola on the short list of the best power forwards in the world. (“Not the NBA; the WORLD, Craig!”) The most beastly one-man run of international play we’ve seen since Michael Jordan took on the Monstars continued in yesterday’s battle at the World Championship between Argentina and Brazil, as Scola dropped 37 points (14-20 FG), grabbed 9 rebounds, and iced the game for Argentina down the stretch with one huge bucket after another … With about three minutes left, Argentina was hanging onto a two-point lead when Scola went off. He scored 8 in a row off fadeaways, mid-range pull-ups and runners, then after Marcelo Huertas — who kept Brazil in the game with some ballsy buckets that would have made Sam Cassell dance — hit a triple to bring Brazil within two points again with under two seconds left, Scola sealed it at the line with free throws. It only helped the highlight reel that Scola (30.3 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 61% FG at the Worlds) was lumbering around drenched in sweat with clumps of hair plastered across his face looking like Swamp Thing … Carlos Delfino needs a green light in Milwaukee. When Scola wasn’t owning the game, Delfino (20 pts) was taking 28-footers and sliding through the lane like water to set up finger rolls. Delfino and Leandro Barbosa (20 pts) could have some LeBron/Carmelo-type shootouts if this were a regular thing … To his credit, The Worst Announcer Ever captured the mood correctly before tip-off: “We fully expect this game to be a barn-burner.” And he actually said it the right way, unlike a certain Mr. Barkley … Lithuania was supposed to get past China fairly easily, but ran into a tougher opponent that most expected. China was up double-digits well into the first quarter before Lithuania took their first lead close to halftime and pulled away in the second half. Linas Kleiza led the way with 30 points … Even when Yi Jianlian (11 pts, 12 rebs) was on the floor, often the Chinese offense ran through Wang ZhiZhi. He’s a totally different player than the one we remember from the NBA (not that he saw a lot of PT in the League). He’s got kind of a lefty poor man’s Rik Smits thing going. And late in the game, PG Liu Wei (21 pts) turned into an Allen Iverson impersonator and almost brought China back … Brazil/Argentina was the Hall of Fame of “I didn’t foul anyone” faces — you could almost sense Manu Ginobili making pained faces in his street clothes — but Wang ZhiZhi’s Duncan face is the worst. He looks like he’s dropping a dry deuce … Actual announcer line: “Sun Yue is called the ‘Chinese Magic Johnson,’ with good reason. He can pass the ball and shoot three-pointers.” … Sean May’s career with the Nets is over before it began, as he’s been waived. May broke his foot during a workout last week, and won’t be back in time to earn a roster spot … Which album would you pay for first: A compilation of the NBA’s best rappers, or THIS KID? … We’re out like Varejao …

http://dimemag.com/2010/09/the-best-player-in-the-world-right-now-dominates-in-turkey/

kArSoN RyDaH
09-10-2010, 05:57 AM
good for him. i wouldnt put him on that list of best power forwards in the world though. and to put him in the same sentence as MJ? wow.

D Roses Bulls
09-10-2010, 06:02 AM
good for him. i wouldnt put him on that list of best power forwards in the world though. and to put him in the same sentence as MJ? wow.

yea putting him in the same sentence as MJ was crazy.

DreamShaker
09-10-2010, 06:34 AM
He put him in the same sentence with MJ in SPACE JAM. It was a joke. He has been ridiculous though, and he doesn't exactly suck in the NBA. He lacks a bit of athletisism to be dominating the NBA but for FIBA...he is killing it. As a Rockets fan, I am enjoying it, but knowing he won't be averaging 30 for us.

Antipod
09-10-2010, 07:46 AM
He`s having a MONSTER tournament

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 08:15 AM
A member of the media living in the moment. He is having a great FIBA run currently, coming off his best season. But Scola is not a top 10 PF in the NBA. If we are referring to FIBA PF's, then I wouldn't even really begin to care to rank them, I don't follow it enough. But in the NBA, Scola is hovering around top 11-13 I would think

Joshtd1
09-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Lol and to think we traded him for Jackie Butler and the guy from Greece, Spanoulis.

Faneik
09-10-2010, 08:59 AM
A member of the media living in the moment. He is having a great FIBA run currently, coming off his best season. But Scola is not a top 10 PF in the NBA. If we are referring to FIBA PF's, then I wouldn't even really begin to care to rank them, I don't follow it enough. But in the NBA, Scola is hovering around top 11-13 I would think

fiba hype.

altough he went home yesterday. he was the MVP of the tournament.

this does not mean he was the best player in the tournament --> that's Durant.

Durant is the best player of the best team.

what i'm saying is Scola's role in the Argentinian team is bigger that Durant's on the US team.

D Roses Bulls
09-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Lol and to think we traded him for Jackie Butler and the guy from Greece, Spanoulis.

LOL...... I know the spurs are kicking themselves for that.

Hellcrooner
09-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Well you got tier A with Dirk Td and Pau
tier B with Kg, Stou, bosh and Boozer.

Scola is riht after that with other players in tier c.

that puts him anywhere from 8 to 15 best pf in the world

xbrackattackx
09-10-2010, 09:32 AM
He has been a beast in international play no lie.

20GoodTimes20
09-10-2010, 09:55 AM
yea putting him in the same sentence as MJ was crazy.

"The most beastly one-man run of international play we’ve seen since Michael Jordan took on the Monstars continued in yesterday’s battle at the World Championship between Argentina and Brazil"

How is that crazy? He's talking about his performance in the tourney, not his career.

Mile High Champ
09-10-2010, 09:57 AM
I really Wish Toronto had someway negotiated a sign and trade to send Bosh to Houston so we could of landed Scola. He is one hell of a player.

20GoodTimes20
09-10-2010, 09:57 AM
He put him in the same sentence with MJ in SPACE JAM. It was a joke. He has been ridiculous though, and he doesn't exactly suck in the NBA. He lacks a bit of athletisism to be dominating the NBA but for FIBA...he is killing it. As a Rockets fan, I am enjoying it, but knowing he won't be averaging 30 for us.

Scola could average as much as Yao next yr. I could easily see Scola and Yao both averaging around 18 a game next year.

D Roses Bulls
09-10-2010, 10:04 AM
"The most beastly one-man run of international play we’ve seen since Michael Jordan took on the Monstars continued in yesterday’s battle at the World Championship between Argentina and Brazil"

How is that crazy? He's talking about his performance in the tourney, not his career.

because you don't put anyones name in the same sentence as the "goat" until they surpass him.

BkOriginalOne
09-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Just remember that the Spurs traded his rights to the Rockets and they still got Tiago.

Chronz
09-10-2010, 11:44 AM
LOL Tiago when you couldve had the Scolanator. What a let down

sep11ie
09-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Well you got tier A with Dirk Td and Pau
tier B with Kg, Stou, bosh and Boozer.

Scola is riht after that with other players in tier c.

that puts him anywhere from 8 to 15 best pf in the world

If you put KG in tier B, you gotta put Scola in there.

shep33
09-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Some guys just play better in the international game... Take for instance the original Dream Team, Sir Charles was their best player during the Olympics.

Big Quett
09-10-2010, 12:25 PM
If you put KG in tier B, you gotta put Scola in there.

I agree. RIGHT NOW and let me say this again RIGHT NOW Scola might be just as good as KG if not better.

static_inferno
09-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Scola is having a great tournament, but I think people are forgetting about Pau again. I mean look at the Spanish team without Pau; they're fighting for 5th place. I'd say in international play and in NBA play, Pau is better than Scola.

Hellcrooner
09-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Scola is having a great tournament, but I think people are forgetting about Pau again. I mean look at the Spanish team without Pau; they're fighting for 5th place. I'd say in international play and in NBA play, Pau is better than Scola.

i think no one is dobting that?

anyway, being ight now playing for 5th position has more to do with havinf a mentally challenged head coach than with pau not beeing hterre.

sep11ie
09-10-2010, 02:25 PM
I agree. RIGHT NOW and let me say this again RIGHT NOW Scola might be just as good as KG if not better.

I'm talking about right now. Not KG of 08 or earlier.

thekmp211
09-10-2010, 02:25 PM
someone made the point that his athleticism holds him back in the nba game. that's really the only thing i think that has stopped him from being a big star in the us. he's probably as polished as any guy but is slightly limited against the freaks that inhabit nba frontcourts.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-10-2010, 02:30 PM
im not really familiar with FIBA players or international players but is the competition in the world championships and the level of talent superior or inferior to that in the nba?

Rivera
09-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Scola didnt make PSD's List for top 10 PF

thekmp211
09-10-2010, 02:41 PM
im not really familiar with FIBA players or international players but is the competition in the world championships and the level of talent superior or inferior to that in the nba?

as a whole it is lesser. there are a few teams (spain, argentina, brazil and a couple others) that have talent that could compete as a whole against nba rosters. there are a ton of teams, though, that lack any nba talents and are akin to weak college teams or worse. the individual european leagues are all weaker as well, though some have become very competitive in the last 10 or so years. point being, the nba is still the benchmark for quality basketball competition.

Verbal Christ
09-10-2010, 05:19 PM

how is that possible? so many professional analysts and ingenious basketball minds hovering around here. :rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 05:22 PM

I don't think he should have necessarily.

RocketPower2010
09-10-2010, 10:08 PM

oh no? i'm sure he'll be really, REALLY disappointed, is he ever finds out?

evadatam5150
09-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Always thought he was underrated.....

http://dimemag.com/2010/09/the-best-player-in-the-world-right-now-dominates-in-turkey/

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...!!! And it's not even April fools day.. Nice one... :clap:

Remember one time in band camp when Fisher (all 5 foot 2 inches of him) knocked Scola on his ace...??!! Yeah good times.. :D

Verbal Christ
09-10-2010, 11:19 PM

Remember one time in band camp when Fisher (all 5 foot 2 inches of him) knocked Scola on his ace...??!! Yeah good times.. :D

im pretty sure if fisher elbowed you, you would probably cry home to mommy.

SouthSideRookie
09-11-2010, 12:16 AM

Oh yeah after the Rockets had won game 1 and in game 2 when the Lakers saw that Houston wasn't going to back down. Fisher the *** and Kobe started playing mind games trying to take the Rockets out of their game plan.

sep11ie
09-13-2010, 12:41 PM

Oh, cuz cheap shotted makes someone a *****...

FOBolous
09-13-2010, 12:53 PM
someone made the point that his athleticism holds him back in the nba game. that's really the only thing i think that has stopped him from being a big star in the us. he's probably as polished as any guy but is slightly limited against the freaks that inhabit nba frontcourts.

and also his age. He only played 3 full seasons in the NBA and he's already 30? There's no doubt in my mind that if he came to the NBA at an earlier age and have the time to adapt and grow, he could've been an all-star in the NBA. The Spurs screwed him over.

FOBolous
09-13-2010, 12:56 PM

you mean during that series in which Scola and Brooks to the almight Lakers to 7 games and Fisher tried to knock him out the series by trying to injure him because he was scared that the Lakers might actually lose the series? yea. Scola scared Fisher crapless. good times.

SteveNash
09-13-2010, 04:33 PM
and also his age. He only played 3 full seasons in the NBA and he's already 30? There's no doubt in my mind that if he came to the NBA at an earlier age and have the time to adapt and grow, he could've been an all-star in the NBA. The Spurs screwed him over.

How did the Spurs screw him over? IIRC Scola was a selfish ***** who didn't want too play behind Duncan.

beasted86
09-13-2010, 04:47 PM
I love the way he plays in FIBA. NBA? not even a top 10 PF.

Verbal Christ
09-13-2010, 06:45 PM
I love the way he plays in FIBA. NBA? not even a top 10 PF.

curious, name the 10 (or more) power forwards that you, mr. paid professional analyst feel are 'better' than luis scola currently.

if IIRC the spurs were procrastinating on bringing him over since timmy was still in his prime, and luis scola had been wanting to come over to the NBA for a few years prior to the trade, or at least that was the buzz here in houston when he arrived.

evadatam5150
09-13-2010, 07:17 PM
im pretty sure if fisher elbowed you, you would probably cry home to mommy.

Yep but then I'm not 6 foot 9 inches tall either.. But got your point chica.. :D

evadatam5150
09-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Oh yeah after the Rockets had won game 1 and in game 2 when the Lakers saw that Houston wasn't going to back down. Fisher the *** and Kobe started playing mind games trying to take the Rockets out of their game plan.

Well totally irrelevant of my point but there was another reason all together why Fish did what he did..

Point is Scola and BEST PF in the world don't necessarily belong in the same sentence.. I have no problem admitting he;s a good player, but Best...?? Nope..

evadatam5150
09-13-2010, 07:24 PM
you mean during that series in which Scola and Brooks to the almight Lakers to 7 games and Fisher tried to knock him out the series by trying to injure him because he was scared that the Lakers might actually lose the series? yea. Scola scared Fisher crapless. good times.

Yeah I mean the series in which the Lakers BEAT the Rockets and won another ring.. A ring that was made possible because Fisher knows his role, leads and hits BIG shots for his team.. Again, Scola is a good player, not the best PF in the NBA let alone the World..

SteveNash
09-13-2010, 07:35 PM
curious, name the 10 (or more) power forwards that you, mr. paid professional analyst feel are 'better' than luis scola currently.

if IIRC the spurs were procrastinating on bringing him over since timmy was still in his prime, and luis scola had been wanting to come over to the NBA for a few years prior to the trade, or at least that was the buzz here in houston when he arrived.

Spurs tried to bring Scola and settled on Oberto instead.

SouthSideRookie
09-14-2010, 02:37 AM
Well totally irrelevant of my point but there was another reason all together why Fish did what he did..Point is Scola and BEST PF in the world don't necessarily belong in the same sentence.. I have no problem admitting he;s a good player, but Best...?? Nope..

Yeah I bet Fisher had his reasons, and so did Kobe, and so did Sasha:facepalm:

No one here is claiming hes "the best in the world" Learn how to read before you start putting words in peoples mouth.

Joshtd1
09-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Spurs didnt screw him over, in fact they are the ones that decided to trade him for jack **** and give him a chance to play in the NBA like he wanted. Money was an issue from what I remember. Spurs could have screwed him though and let him stay over seas.

beasted86
09-14-2010, 01:02 PM

Are you really serious?

Duncan, Gasol, Dirk, Bosh, Boozer, Amare, KG, J. Smith, Lee, Randolph

Too easy. All of these guys have made the all-star team for a reason, while Scola has not. If Scola played half as well as he does in FIBA he'd be in top 5 PF discussion... but he doesn't. I don't know whether it's the coaching on Houston or him as a player, but there were times last season when Carl Landry was thoroughly outplaying him and almost looked like he deserved to start in his place. Scola is not that good in the NBA.

Verbal Christ
09-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Are you really serious?

Duncan, Gasol, Dirk, Bosh, Boozer, Amare, KG, J. Smith, Lee, Randolph

Too easy. All of these guys have made the all-star team for a reason, while Scola has not. If Scola played half as well as he does in FIBA he'd be in top 5 PF discussion... but he doesn't. I don't know whether it's the coaching on Houston or him as a player, but there were times last season when Carl Landry was thoroughly outplaying him and almost looked like he deserved to start in his place. Scola is not that good in the NBA.

you're out of your rabid *** mind. maybe you should watch him play before you go reciting whatever list is in dime magazine. what do you mean if he played half as well (by the way he quite literally does play half as well -- 15 ppg,6-7 rpg -- so using your logic shouldnt he be a top 5 PF)??? how funny. the guy is a freaking machine for the rockets, he's like the 3rd option most nights, and he's still pretty damn efficient, plays phenomenal defense (much better than most on your 'end all 'list) and provides toughness and durability. the coaching? dude more and more that i read, and more and more i think your speaking with your asscrack bra. do you know who rick adelman is? maybe one of these other brilliant minds can fill you in, or you can do one of those neat search thingy's and clue yourself a bit. LMAO, yea carl landry 'thoroughly' outplayed him to the tune of getting traded, dude seriously? at the beginning of my reply i was somewhat perturbed, but by this point im just laughing at you. :laugh:

SteveNash
09-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Landry > Scola

Kings just wanted the better player.

astrosmaniac
09-14-2010, 11:38 PM
no

landy>scola athletically. the kings are rebuilding, why would they want the 30 year old over the guy in his low-mid 20s?

SteveNash
09-14-2010, 11:43 PM
no

landy>scola athletically. the kings are rebuilding, why would they want the 30 year old over the guy in his low-mid 20s?

Landry's no spring chicken, Kings got the better athlete, the younger player, and most importantly the better player.