PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs: 2 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. 3 Atlanta Hawks

Catfish1314
09-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Every summer, PSD holds an NBA Mock Offseason. Exactly what it sounds like, this game is a mock of the real 2010 offseason which starts off from the date the Lakers won the NBA Championship. Posters on PSD act as the GMs of assigned teams and they make trades, draft players, and sign free agents to try to create the best team. These are the Mock NBA Playoffs.

This Eastern Conference Semi-Finals match-up features the 2nd seeded Cleveland Cavaliers versus the 3rd seeded Atlanta Hawks. The Cavaliers have home-court advantage.

Vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series. Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Cavaliers:

C-Nazr Mohammed/Shaquille O’Neal/Zydrunas Ilgauskas/Kosta Koufos
PF-Kenyon Martin/Chris Wilcox/Josh Powell
SF-LeBron James/Courtney Lee/Jawad Williams/Renaldo Balkman
SG-Jason Richardson/Roger Mason
PG-Gilbert Arenas/Earl Watson/Sherron Collins

Hawks:

C-Andrew Bogut/Joe Smith/Hamady N’Diaye
PF-Antawn Jamison/Gani Lawal
SF-Trevor Ariza/Josh Childress
SG-Joe Johnson/Tracy McGrady/Avery Bradley
PG-Stephen Curry/Beno Udrih/Willie Warren

Cavs Write-up:

Point Guard:
The Cavs have the advantage here. Gilbert Arenas and Stephen Curry are similar players. They’re scorers first, and neither of them plays much defense. However, Arenas is a better scorer, and a better defender. Plus, he has playoff experience, something Curry doesn’t have. Arenas will get the better of this matchup. Our backup Earl Watson offers a defensive presence off the bench, while Beno is strictly a scorer as well. They have no one to slow down Arenas.

Shooting Guard:
Both guys here will get their fill. Richardson and Johnson are both very good scorers, and neither is a particularly good defender. Both are very good shooters. Richardson is going to score his usual here, as is Johnson. Our bench options are much better though. We have Courtney Lee who is a good, young shooter with positive defense and Roger Mason Jr., who has a knack for knocking down big shots. All they have behind Johnson is Tracy McGrady, who has yet to prove that he can be an effective player in the NBA at this point in his career.

Small Forward:
The Cavs have the best player in the game here in LeBron James. He’s been able to take rosters with much less talent than this deep into the playoffs. LeBron will dominate Ariza on both sides of the floor. Ariza was one of the least efficient scorers in the league last year, shooting under 40% from the field and with a TS% less than 49%. He won’t score much on a physical defender like LeBron. Courtney Lee is our primary SF backup as well, and Jawad Williams will see a little bit of time. Richardson may also play here some if LeBron shifts to PF. Regardless, we have no idea how Childress will perform with two years away from the NBA. He should be a good bench piece, but we’ll see.

Power Forward:
This is probably the closest matchup here. Jamison and Martin are complete opposites. Jamison is a good scorer who plays no defense, and Martin is a good defender who doesn’t have much offense left. I expect that Martin would neutralize Jamison, and Martin would score his usual on Jamison. Depth wise, however, there’s no question who wins this. The Hawks plan to use Joe Smith and Josh Childress as their backups. Smith is old, and not nearly capable of the minutes they want him to play. Childress can’t play PF, he would be abused by any of our guys. Our depth is much better. Martin’s time will be limited since we don’t want to wear out his knees, but we have guys who can get the job done while he’s resting. Chris Wilcox and Josh Powell are our primary PF backups, and they will provide solid depth and defense. Big Z and LeBron will also see PF time, and both are huge mismatches for anyone they trot out at PF. Big Z is tall, lengthy, and can shoot. None of their players can defend that at PF. LeBron is, well, LeBron.

Center:
Obviously the Hawks have a great player in Bogut, who is probably a top 3 center in the league. However, we have the perfect strategy to slow him down. We will use the same type of center rotation that the Bobcats utilized against Dwight Howard in the first round of the playoffs this year. Instead of Nazr-Ratliff-Chandler, though, we have a much better and deeper rotation in Nazr-Shaq-Big Z-Koufos. The Bobcats rotated centers constantly to hold Dwight to 26.5 MPG and 9.8 PPG over 4 games, with Dwight fouling out in 2 and recording 5 fouls in the other two. We feel like we can accomplish the same thing on Bogut here. If we put Bogut into foul trouble, like we expect to do, the Hawks are in huge trouble. They’ll have to go with undersized Joe Smith at center, who is only 6’10’’ and 225 pounds. They’re already asking him to play 21 MPG, which is ridiculous for him. I know that we can frustrate Bogut like the Bobcats did to Howard, and this is why we’ll win the matchup.

Hawks Write-up:

Rotation:
C: Andrew Bogut(36)/Joe Smith(12)
PF: Antawn Jamison(33)/Joe Smith(8)/Josh Childress(7)
SF: Trevor Ariza(32)/Josh Childress(12)/Tracy McGrady(4)
SG: Joe Johnson(35)/Tracy McGrady(11)/Stephen Curry(2)
PG: Stephen Curry(32)/Beno Udrih(16)

Center:
Andrew Bogut v. Nazr Mohammed

Andrew Bogut is a great defender, and a solid scorer. Nazr Mohammed is an underrated defender, but doesn't offer much of anything on the offensive end and will easily be shut down in the series. Andrew Bogut dominates this matchup easy, and is one of the keys to us winning the game.

Huge Advantage: Atlanta Hawks

Power Forward:
Antawn Jamison v. Kenyon Martin

Offense vs. Defense in this matchup. Kenyon is a solid defender, and Antawn Jamison is a solid scorer. In Atlanta, Antawn should be able to score like he did in Washington, because there will be more chances for him to touch the ball. It's not like Kenyon is bad on offense, but he isn't good, and although he is a better defender than Antawn, this matchup pretty easily goes to Antawn.

Advantage: Atlanta Hawks

Small Forward:
Trevor Ariza v. LeBron James

Obviously LeBron James is the best SF in the game and arguably the best player in the game as well. With that being said, LeBron easily wins the matchup, but keep in mind Trevor Ariza is no slouch. He is an excellent defender, and put up 15ppg last year. That is very solid for what we need him to do, and that is to be the 5th option on the team.

Huge Advantage: Cleveland Cavaliers

Shooting Guard:
Joe Johnson v. Jason Richardson

Here is another matchup that we take easily. Jason Richardson is a solid SG, but by no means is a better SG than Joe Johnson. Joe Johnson is the superior guard, and should be able to take this matchup with ease. Not much to say here.

Solid Advantage: Atlanta Hawks

Poing Guard:
Stephen Curry v. Gilbert Arenas

Stephen Curry is one of the most promising young basketball players in the NBA, theres a lot to like about him after a stellar rookie season. On the other hand, while Arenas might be a talented player as well, he has dissapointed year after year. He has played in 47 games over the last three years. Gilbert Arenas also doesn't really fit best as a point guard whereas Curry is a perfect mold of one. I'll call this a small advantage, but with the limited games Arenas has played over the last 3 years, and with all the weapons Stephen Curry will have to work with, I think Stephen in his 2nd year will easily be the better point guard in the series.

Small Advantage: Atlanta Hawks

Bench:

I think the benches are fairly close. Some of Cleveland's guys are O'Neal, Lee, and Wilcox. We have McGrady, Childriss, and Udrih. I would like to note I think TMac could really make a comeback as a 6th man behind Joe Johnson and we might be able to see some a flash of the old TMac. I think they have better big reserves, but we easily have the better wings/point guard reserves.

Summary:
I think the Atlanta Hawks will dominate down low, and have a better backcourt as well with Stephen Curry and Joe Johnson. LeBron is going to do what he does, but I think we have a more complete team. We aren't weak at any position, and a Nazr/Martin frontcourt is significantly weaker than what LeBron had originally.

KnicksorBust
09-10-2010, 12:08 AM
This Cavs team with Nazr-Kenyon Martin starting frontcourt are the worst #2 seed in Mock/Redraft history. The pain of ends here. Hawks win.

SteveNash
09-10-2010, 12:16 AM
LeBron takes his talent to South Beach and Cleveland gets swept.

Super.
09-10-2010, 12:46 AM
That Cavs team sucks.

Hawks win in 5

goblazers7
09-10-2010, 01:19 AM
I mean the Hawks are stacked. But Gilbert and Lebron is nasty. Going with Hawks though.

Ace33Bone
09-10-2010, 09:48 AM
LBJ, Gil and J Rich thats enough to keep the Cavs rolling

Niro
09-10-2010, 10:12 AM
cavs in 6

Avenged
09-10-2010, 11:05 AM
J-Rich might just be the best player Lebron has ever played with. :laugh2:

If you add a healthy Arenas, the Cavs would definitely win this series. Their frontcourt is nothing amazing, but they have plenty of big bodies to throw at Bogut.

The Miami Cheat
09-10-2010, 11:36 AM
gilbert
j-rich
lebron
kmart
nazr

cant go wrong wit that...cavs in 6

VRP723
09-10-2010, 02:00 PM
The Hawks are really balanced, I like them in 7

Raidaz4Life
09-10-2010, 02:08 PM
LeBron takes his talent to South Beach and Cleveland gets swept.

lol

That Hawks team is pretty sick... hard to vote against them

Honestly this would be a lot closer if they still had Mo instead of Gilbert Arenas... Arenas and Lebron would not mesh well at all. I do love Jason Richardson on that team though.

Rivera
09-10-2010, 02:24 PM
cavs

cavs backcourt overall >> ATL backcourt

cavs have enough big bodies to throw at bogut for foul trouble/and to wear down bogut

alencp3
09-10-2010, 03:43 PM
LeBron hate is enormous

KnicksorBust
09-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Arenas is going to have his trademark 6 for 29 games and with practically no scoring from their frontcourt they'll be in a lot of trouble. Hawks are balanced and have defense, shooting, low block scoring, and rebounding. Hawks win easily.

homestarunner93
09-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Arenas is going to have his trademark 6 for 29 games and with practically no scoring from their frontcourt they'll be in a lot of trouble. Hawks are balanced and have defense, shooting, low block scoring, and rebounding. Hawks win easily.

Your petty hate for me is so funny.

greg_ory_2005
09-10-2010, 09:25 PM
I like the balanced squad of the Hawks. I think they'd take the series.

KnicksorBust
09-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Don't flatter yourself. Even though your GM skills suck, I voted for you in the first round because you had the better team. Here you don't... so you lose. The 31 other people that agree with me probably all hate you too right. :laugh:

Sportfan
09-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Wow the Cavs writeup is hilarously bad.

Johnson not a good defender?

Arenas better defender than Curry?

Jamison has gone 20/8.5 against Martin in his career. K-mart ain't slowing him down.

Ariza can't slow down Lebron? Febuary 8th against Ariza. 5-20 FG. 2-8 3PT
JanuarY 19 against Ariza- 9-25 FG. 1-5 3PT. Lebron won't score 30 on Ariza

I love J Rich but JJ is simply better. A great perimeter defender too.

You talk **** on Childress for being overseas the last couple years. At least he's stayed in shape and playing basketball. You're starting PG is in jail. Curry's better than him anyway

And the frontcourt......:puke:

Hawks in 5. How the **** did Cavs get a 2 seed?

edit-Oh and I agree 100% with KOB