PDA

View Full Version : Shaq turned down 8 million from Detroit and Atlanta

spreadeagle
09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
If you havenít read John Reidís excellent Q&A with Shaquille OíNeal from this Sundayís Times Picayune, you should do so now. In addition to saying that the next two seasons with the Celtics will be his last two years in the NBA, and that his real goal is to pass Wilt Chamberlain on the all-time scoring list, Shaq talked about all the factors he considered before signing with the Celtics Ė something that caused him to leave $5 million on the table.

Atlanta was cool, but they donít have a lot of national television games. But Boston, with Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, I said we can do it. A lot of people said I only got the league minimum salary, but thatís all right. Iím the luckiest guy in the world. Iíve had four max contracts in one lifetime, I donít care about that little million. Did I want $10 million? Iím always going to put the number high. I could have gotten $8 million from Atlanta and Detroit, but it wasnít about that. It was about being somewhere and being seen and winning.

Understandably, at this point in his career, Shaq chose to pursue another ring over the money. But for a guy who has four max contracts under his belt and says ďI donít care about that little million,Ē what would you expect?
http://dimemag.com/2010/09/shaq-turned-his-back-on-8-million-from-atlanta-and-detroit/

Gators123
09-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Pistons didn't have 8 mil in cap, so he was talking about a 2 year deal worth 8 mil I guess...

Mr. Baller
09-09-2010, 03:40 PM
It was a smart move by Shaq, he doesn't need the money. Detroit only wants him to sell tickets, while Atlanta is trying to get them into that group of teams that can be a title contender, while Boston is already there.

spreadeagle
09-09-2010, 03:41 PM
isnt he getting a divorce and re marrying one of the flavour of love girls....He could need that cash in 10 years or so

pebloemer
09-09-2010, 03:48 PM
I would have loved to see him land in Atlanta. Perfect fit for them IMO.

But it should be interesting watching Shaq, Perkins, JO, and Garnett sent out each night.

thescore53
09-09-2010, 03:53 PM
he said he didnt want to go to atl bacause they werent on tv alot ?

Tony_Starks
09-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Shaq is a damn lie, if he could've went to ATL for 4milli and got the chance to start he would've damn well did it. They didn't offer.

Sadds The Gr8
09-09-2010, 04:00 PM
well that's not surprising...he's chasing titles not $$$ so of course he'd choose Boston over those 2 teams.

llemon
09-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Shaq is a damn lie, if he could've went to ATL for 4milli and got the chance to start he would've damn well did it. They didn't offer.

Thank you. You are correct. There is no player in the NBA as full of crap as Shaq.

He had to beg Celtics to give him a 2nd year at the Vets' Min.

Super.
09-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Shaq's knows where its at

llemon
09-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Shaq's knows where its at

Well, he likes to say stuff so ignorant fans will think he knows where it's at.

xxcubs22xx
09-09-2010, 04:44 PM
The Big Diesel did the right thing. Boston is where its at (despite his probable issues with playing time)

pistonsfanomg
09-09-2010, 05:55 PM
If Shaq is really engaged to Hoopz

I give him props because shes fine a.. hell

Ni55anpat
09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I would of loved shaq on the lakers but the rival celtics and lakers have just heated up

Tony_Starks
09-09-2010, 06:47 PM
I would of loved shaq on the lakers but the rival celtics and lakers have just heated up

Not really. Boston already didn't have anything for the Lakers and I'd honestly rather have Rasheed back than Shaq. They'll be damn lucky to make it back to the finals.

Orlando is our only legit threat out East.

thescore53
09-09-2010, 07:34 PM
If Shaq is really engaged to Hoopz

I give him props because shes fine a.. hell

im not saying she's a gold digger.....

beasted86
09-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Pistons didn't have 8 mil in cap, so he was talking about a 2 year deal worth 8 mil I guess...

Yes, same with ATL.

2yr - $8M total. Basically half the MLE over 2 years.

R_O_W_E
09-09-2010, 08:14 PM
No.

It would've been a S&T. Same with Atlanta. There was talk about Shaq in a S&T for Marvin Williams. Not too sure how it would've worked with Detroit but obviously Rip or Prince would be heading out.

he said he didnt want to go to atl bacause they werent on tv alot ?
They aren't. The Hawks dont get much TV play. Shaq would be forgotten just like he was in Phoenix.

They did offer. Shaq chose Boston to try to win rings, remain relevant, and well remain relevant.

R_O_W_E
09-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Yes, same with ATL.

2yr - $8M total. Basically half the MLE over 2 years.

No.

1 year $8 Mil. This is why the Marvin Williams rumors were going around.

homie564
09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Not really. Boston already didn't have anything for the Lakers and I'd honestly rather have Rasheed back than Shaq. They'll be damn lucky to make it back to the finals.

Orlando is our only legit threat out East.

...... i stopped reading after rasheed over shaq.. sheed underperformed almost all year for boston.. i take shaq over him 9 times outta 10.

R_O_W_E
09-09-2010, 08:27 PM
...... i stopped reading after rasheed over shaq.. sheed underperformed almost all year for boston.. i take shaq over him 9 times outta 10.

This.

Sheed didn't fit Boston in the way you'd expect. He's always been a PF, when he was moved to the 5 with KG at the 4 it didn't always work. Hes an overly aggressive defender who picks up cheap fouls, doesn't always crash the boards, and prefers the perimeter than the low post.

Shaq is the complete opposite. Hes a space eater down low. KG & Shaq on the court together puts 2 guys down there who have serious passion when it comes to winning. Actually their games are perfect for each other. KG can focus on working out of the high post knowing Shaq is taking space around the basket for putbacks. Shaq on defense in that Boston zone will be a foul machine, but his impact down low for stretches during the game will be respected. People still know he can swat it, and its a certainty that only 1% of the NBA can finish after contact from Shaq.

He keeps the seat warm until Perk is ready. Two of the strongest C's in the NBA protecting the paint.

JO on the other hand, thats not a good fit. He doesn't fit the status quo of Celtics players, he doesn't play hard and hes more of a 4 trapped at the 5 due to his current lack of agility/athleticism.

fadedmario
09-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Shaq's garbage at this point of his career.

R_O_W_E
09-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Shaq's garbage at this point of his career.

Really? A guy who shoots a high FG% around the basket, grabs boards, and impacts the game when he gets touches.

Considering 3/4 of the C's in the NBA are only in the NBA because they're tall, I find it hard to believe Shaq is anything close to garbage. Hes nothing like he was in his prime, but hes not sucking hard like other guys who play at his age.

beasted86
09-09-2010, 10:01 PM
No.

1 year $8 Mil. This is why the Marvin Williams rumors were going around.

Wrong... everybody just loves to believe anything they hear, but there was never any truth to it whatsoever.

According to Michael Cunningham it is Shaq's camp that is pushing for this sign and trade and the Hawks reportedly "like their core" and are not really open to the idea of busting it up. The report has Shaq asking for around 16 million for two years and to be a starter of which the Hawks are offering neither.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2010/7/15/1570794/nixing-the-shaq-for-marvin

The Hawks weren't going to trade Marvin Williams for Shaq. They offered a 2yr $8M.

Raoul Duke
09-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Really? A guy who shoots a high FG% around the basket, grabs boards, and impacts the game when he gets touches.

Considering 3/4 of the C's in the NBA are only in the NBA because they're tall, I find it hard to believe Shaq is anything close to garbage. Hes nothing like he was in his prime, but hes not sucking hard like other guys who play at his age.

He plays about 50 games a year and he does more to hurt chemistry than he does to help it. He may not be garbage, but I find it extremely unlikely that we were after him at that price when we have Ben Wallace for the next two years on the cheap.

Tony_Starks
09-09-2010, 10:20 PM
This.

Sheed didn't fit Boston in the way you'd expect. He's always been a PF, when he was moved to the 5 with KG at the 4 it didn't always work. Hes an overly aggressive defender who picks up cheap fouls, doesn't always crash the boards, and prefers the perimeter than the low post.

Shaq is the complete opposite. Hes a space eater down low. KG & Shaq on the court together puts 2 guys down there who have serious passion when it comes to winning. Actually their games are perfect for each other. KG can focus on working out of the high post knowing Shaq is taking space around the basket for putbacks. Shaq on defense in that Boston zone will be a foul machine, but his impact down low for stretches during the game will be respected. People still know he can swat it, and its a certainty that only 1% of the NBA can finish after contact from Shaq.

He keeps the seat warm until Perk is ready. Two of the strongest C's in the NBA protecting the paint.

JO on the other hand, thats not a good fit. He doesn't fit the status quo of Celtics players, he doesn't play hard and hes more of a 4 trapped at the 5 due to his current lack of agility/athleticism.

I disagree. For all Sheeds shortcomings he was still very valuable in the postseason. Even at his age he can still do what a lot of bigs can't which is play 4 or 5, defend 4 or 5, occasionally post up, and knock down the open three. He still causes matchup problems. People judged him on his performance during the season but with his mileage I didn't expect much during the year. Not to mention he played one hell of a game 7 as a starter, he just ran out of gas.

Shaq rebounds about the same as Sheed, plays less defense, shoots a horrible FT%, can no longer finish at the rim, and can't defend the pick and roll. Not to mention at this point in his career his offense totally breaks the rhythm of the rest of the teams. That was cool when he was throwin down 30 pts a night but it sucks when you're getting 12pts 7 brds.

Supa
09-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Should be quite a good showdown in the East.

---

Antipod
09-10-2010, 07:53 AM
He doesn`t care about the $ anymore...all he wants is another ring/ and since `Bron couldn`t help him with that, he went to the real "Big 3"

pistonsfanomg
09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
im not saying she's a gold digger.....

lol yeah she has to be one because shes so damn hot and hes... Shaq lol

xbrackattackx
09-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Bollocks!

llemon
09-10-2010, 12:56 PM
He doesn`t care about the $ anymore.

Yeah, that's why he begged Celts for a 2nd Vets' Min year to his contract.

shep33
09-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Doesn't really make sense. If some team really needed Shaq desperately they woulda paid 3-4 mill for him. But they didn't, and he was one of the last FA's to sign, so it looks more as if teams didn't want to give him that kind of dough.

I dunno I could be wrong, but why wait so long to sign then? IMO, I think teams are just wary of the Big Fella. Put it this way, LA and Miami, arguably 2 of the top contenders could've signed Shaq if they wanted to for the same price that the Celtics did. But they didn't... In theory why not Miami? Two of his former teammates play there in LBJ and Wade. Why not the Lakers? He has ties to that franchise, and helped them capture 3 titles. The reason which IMO seems most logical is that teams are scared of what he brings to the lockeroom. I like the Big Fella, but something is really sketchy about how he leaves teams.

That being said, its a great move for Boston, giving them the deepest frontline in the league, and I don't think he'll cause any comotion there just because KG and Doc won't likely take it.

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
did I read somewhere in this thread that Rasheed Wallace still holds value?

2_Trill
09-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Men lie, Women lie Numbers dont!!

llemon
09-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Men lie, Women lie Numbers dont!!

Numbers lie, skydive and trim trees.

That's why politicians LOVE numbers. You can make them say anything.