PDA

View Full Version : If players can really jump higher with APL shoes, should the NBA ban them?

DenButsu
09-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Please follow the links (especially the first one) to see a much more detailed evaluation of these shoes, including video.

Can special basketball shoes really make you jump higher?
[...]
So, on to the question at hand: Do the shoes work?

The short answer: Sort of.
[...]Chris Ballard, SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/chris_ballard/08/31/shoes/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0yybidCi0)

If these shoes work, the NBA has to ban them

Sports Illustrated's Chris Ballard has been testing out some shoes that claim they can make you jump higher, thanks to some kind of high-tech spring built into the sole.

The NBA may ban them -- which would surely be amazing for sales, as a powerful endorsement of their magical powers.
[...]
Whoever it is at the NBA who has to assess if these shoes offer an unfair advantage or not, I feel for them. Robotics, jet propulsion, you name it ... There will be a ton more of these kinds of devices coming down the pike, and what is normal athletic wear compared to what is cheating is going to get tricky as hell over the next few decades. This is just the tip of the iceberg.Henry Abbott, TrueHoop (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop)

Super.
09-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Well, if the NBA bans them, im certainly going to buy some. I have zero hops

asandhu23
09-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Someone check LeBron's shoes

Sadds The Gr8
09-09-2010, 01:49 AM
yes...equipment that enhances performance should be banned.

Draco
09-09-2010, 01:56 AM
not going to read the article but I wonder how these shoes affect walking and running over a period of time... if at all.

tredigs
09-09-2010, 01:59 AM
not going to read the article but I wonder how these shoes affect walking and running over a period of time... if at all.

I know the answer, but will not pander to your laziness. : ]

Draco
09-09-2010, 02:00 AM
anyone here not mind pandering to my laziness?

DenButsu
09-09-2010, 02:01 AM
The video is worth watching, if reading isn't your thing.

Draco
09-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Wasting more time than I care to on shoes isn't my thing.. just wanted to know if they'd eventually wreck your feet.

ChI_ShIzzLe
09-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Big Z and Brad Miller are the only players that should be allowed to wear them.

The L Train
09-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Why should they be banned? How is it an unfair advantage if everyone can wear them? If they work it's an advantage, yes, but unfair? Not at all.

Antipod
09-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Either everyone wears them either nobody :)

Wade>You
09-09-2010, 03:39 AM
Players that could benefit from these shoes: Michael Beasley.

barreleffact
09-09-2010, 08:18 AM
i would tend to agree with a ban if they do increase your jump. but my opinion is almost purely based on increased injury risks associated with jumping beyond your means even if its only a small amount

save the knicks
09-09-2010, 08:36 AM
hmm i wounder how many no votes would be cast if the question was If players can really jump higher with magic strength injection, should the NBA ban them?

bbcmillionaire
09-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Lol uh oh, I can touch the rim but can't dunk, watchout taller players

Khalifa21
09-09-2010, 09:07 AM
The NBA doesn't allow performance enhancing drugs, so why would it allow performance enhancing equipment that would give everyone that uses them a cheap, distinct advantage?

Jemikz9Clutch
09-09-2010, 10:06 AM
The NBA doesn't allow performance enhancing drugs, so why would it allow performance enhancing equipment that would give everyone that uses them a cheap, distinct advantage?

this

Ace33Bone
09-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I mean to me this is no different than steroids... at the end of the day you are cheating and you are basically making a mockery of the players that have put in the long hours in the gym in order to perfect their hops or build up there bodies... with this being said since I am not in the NBA i need a pair asap

Raidaz4Life
09-09-2010, 11:36 AM
If not, why not have players just stick some flubber to the bottom of their shoes?

NBAkYD
09-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't totally understand how this could be cheating if the NBA decides to not ban them. Unlike steroids these shoes do not have any known negative side-effects and do not change one's body chemistry in any way. Changes and evolution in the equipment used is a part of the game and choosing to allow and disallow certain items sets a strange precedent. The NBA attempted to change the material the basketball was made of to improve player ball handling and control, and there was no problem with this because every player would have access to the new ball. The same goes for the new shoes. If every player has the choice to wear them, its not an unfair competitive advantage.

ChiSox219
09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Hyperdunks are performance enhancing shoes, ban those too?

Gators123
09-09-2010, 11:55 AM
No

daleja424
09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Id say yes. Anything that enhances a players performance beyond what they would be capable of isnt needed...

daleja424
09-09-2010, 12:05 PM
so I voted 'no' they shouldnt be allowed and then reread the question and it asked if they should be banned, thus I voted wrong in the poll. :facepalm: to me

daleja424
09-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Hyperdunks are performance enhancing shoes, ban those too?

no they arent. they are just lighter. it doesnt allow a player to anything they couldnt do in barefeet.

junion
09-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Why should they be banned? How is it an unfair advantage if everyone can wear them? If they work it's an advantage, yes, but unfair? Not at all.
I agree. everyone would have access to it, and it doesn't really pose any health issues.

it's like those power balance bracelets i see some players wear. more recently, I've noticed lamar odom, derek fisher, carmelo anthony, and many other players wearing it.

anyone remember la gear's catapults? i think karl malone was the player in the commercials?

daleja424
09-09-2010, 12:21 PM
why change the game like this though? I am all for progress, but progress just for the sake of it is not the answer. No need to change the game for no reason at all. Next thing you know, the NBA will then want to move the hoops up. And then what was the point. Just let the game be. No one needs springs in their shoes.

junion
09-09-2010, 12:26 PM
there are many things that "enhance" players.

shoes, sleeves, power balance bracelets, medical staff's different treatments of different injuries, etc.

it's similar to the olympics and michael phelps wearing that bodysuit made out of that certain material.

L@ker4Life
09-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I know the answer, but will not pander to your laziness. : ]

HAHAHA....Dik! :cheer: