PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard provides dying woman w/ a bucket of memories

Purch
09-08-2010, 06:10 PM
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...st-cheap-seats

Dwight Howard provides dying woman with bucket of memories
Kay Kellogg, who has Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma, had only one thing on her bucket list: meet Dwight Howard

Her bucket list included just one item.

Kay Kellogg didn't want to climb the Eiffel Tower. Or run a marathon. Or jump out of an airplane. She just wanted to have a nice conversation with her hero.

" Dwight Howard is just such a precious, wonderful kid," she says. "Whenever I watch him play, he just makes me feel good inside."

And for a woman who feels so bad inside most of the time, this is quite an accomplishment for Dwight.

You think leading the league in rebounding and blocked shots is difficult? Try leading the cancer ward in smiles elicited and hearts warmed.

Kay, 62, is sitting at her apartment Tuesday telling her story.

She's just finished yet another round of chemo. In her younger days, she was a ballet dancer, gracefully spinning and twirling as the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker. Now, she slowly gets around with a walker.

She has Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma, an aggressive cancer that searches out and destroys the blood plasma in the bone marrow. Her disease is inoperable and incurable, but her demeanor is inspiriting and uplifting.

She lives on a fixed income, but two seasons ago she decided to treat herself to Magic season tickets in the upper level. Watching Dwight play is one of the joys of her life. She showed up at nearly every game that season wearing her blue No. 12 Dwight jersey.

"I was sitting way up in the cheap seats," she says, "but I felt like I was in heaven."

A few weeks ago, her daughter, Arian Clute, had an idea. She contacted the Magic and told them that her mother had but one wish before she died: She wanted to meet Dwight.

And, so, a few days ago, Dwight showed up at her door step. He was supposed to spend 30 minutes and ended up staying nearly two hours.

"He has become my 7- foot-tall bottle of medicine," Kay says

They laughed and talked and talked and laughed.

They talked about love and life and death and divinity. She told him how she was in show business her whole life and loves basketball. He told her how he's been in basketball his whole life and loves show business.

They compared the sizes of their hands and then Dwight gently grabbed her bare foot from the end of a recliner like Prince Charming grabbing Cinderella's. He looked down and said sweetly, "How can this little foot hold up anyone?"

They busted out laughing.

And then he asked her why why is he the only one on her bucket list?

She looked at him and said, "Because some people get a choir that sings them into heaven and some people get a chariot that rolls them into heaven. Not me. I want to be slam-dunked smack, dab into the middle of heaven by Dwight Howard."

They busted out laughing again.

By the time the visit was over, Dwight was affectionately calling her "Mama Kay" and she was lovingly calling him "My Dwight."

It was the strangest thing, according to those who were there. Dwight was supposed to inspire her, but she ended up inspiring him, too. Her bucket list turned into the most meaningful bucket he's ever recorded.

When she gingerly stood up to say goodbye, he bent way, way down, hugged her hard and told her something startling. He told this 4-foot-11 woman who is dying of cancer, "You are taller than me."

"That's the silliest thing I've ever heard," she said.

"No," Dwight insisted, "you are taller than me because your spirit lifts you up."

Kay Kellogg was once a dancer and singer who entertained people worldwide. She once danced at Radio City Music Hall and performed with Bing Crosby, who once sang "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas."

Kay got something better last week. She got a Dwight Christmas four months early.

"I'm not afraid to die," she says. "I've had a great life with great friends, a great job and I raised two great daughters. And now that I've met my Dwight, what more is there?"

Well, there is one thing.

She smiles.

"I told Dwight to say a prayer so that I'm around long enough to see him play on opening night."

Ragun
09-08-2010, 06:16 PM
imagine how good dwight howard feels.

d00d
09-08-2010, 06:17 PM
A+

TheHoopsProphet
09-08-2010, 06:22 PM
terminally chill

levignjw
09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Wow.

PhillyLuver
09-08-2010, 06:25 PM
that was really cool, hope she can see him play on opening day

stawka
09-08-2010, 06:30 PM
The shivers down my spine put me in a 15-second coma. That was awesome :)

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Good luck to that woman. And the NBA needs more kids like this with good moral values instead of just the consistent thought of money money money. Good job Dwight!

j-bay
09-08-2010, 06:31 PM
its stuff like this that puts a tear in your eye

TheHoopsProphet
09-08-2010, 06:33 PM

Personally I would falter under the pressure. Imagine playing a game, where someone who idolizes you is going to die any second, and only wants to see you have a great game before they seep of their existence for all eternity.

TheHoopsProphet
09-08-2010, 06:35 PM
If I was dying, I would somehow try and convince Dwight Howard that if he made 10 free throws in a row in the season, I would have enough will to keep on living. Over/under for 2 out of 10 free throws?

TO Rapz
09-08-2010, 06:36 PM
its stuff like this that puts a tear in your eye

This. He might still have a raw offensive game and he may have flaws, but this is one of the things that makes someone a great humam being. I really respect Dwight for things like this, I love to see this kinda stuff. It brings joy to your heart, and Magic fans should be proud and so should the entire NBA. Not only do they have a talented young centre, but they have an even better person. Good job Dwight, dont be like other NBA players, be a good human being. :clap: :cheers:

chonbon
If my name was threatening to come on the Obituaries List soon, not sure my last wish would be to see Dwight Howard brick a layup with a swing postmove

dont be such a jerk

believeinNYK
I really wonder, why Dwight howard

j-bay
09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
If I was dying, I would somehow try and convince Dwight Howard that if he made 10 free throws in a row in the season, I would have enough will to keep on living. Over/under for 2 out of 10 free throws?

no you got to get his to bring down the basket andd the board

RaiderLakersA's
09-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Personally I would falter under the pressure. Imagine playing a game, where someone who idolizes you is going to die any second, and only wants to see you have a great game before they seep of their existence for all eternity.

She doesn't want him to have a good game necessarily. She simply wants to be "slam-dunked smack dab into the middle of heaven." I'm sure Dwight can manage a power dunk or two for Mama Kay.

Giannis94
09-08-2010, 06:44 PM
That was one of the saddest things Ive read.

Purch
09-08-2010, 06:45 PM
It sucks that she dying, but many people have died while you were just reading the story. And you have to admit, its an odd thing to ask for when the NBA should be the last thing on your mind (family, friends, etc), especially someone whose accomplished nothing other than a couple of DPOYs and dry humored commercials. Why not ask Ben Wallace?

So your favorite player has to accomplish something to mean a lot to you?

XJW18
09-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Great Stuff.

SchyGuy11
09-08-2010, 07:03 PM
good story. Dwight is a good guy

netsgiantsyanks
09-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I really wonder, why Dwight howard

because shes a magic fan??

netsgiantsyanks
09-08-2010, 07:10 PM
:clap: :clap:to dwight howard, such a nice person to do that for someone, and i applaud him for that :clap:

SDBearsFan
09-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Great read, classy move, Dwight.

soxnfins
09-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Such a sad and touching story. God I love players that would do this more for fans that love their favorite players so dearly.

Dwight Howard, you just made this lady's spirit complete! :clap:

Alleyeson49
09-08-2010, 08:05 PM
This is a wonderful story. Dwight Howard is an amazing human being, and seeing an act of kindness like this gives me even more faith in mankind.

"He told this 4-foot-11 woman who is dying of cancer, "You are taller than me."

"No," Dwight insisted, "you are taller than me because your spirit lifts you up."

Truly touching. I don't care what you do on the basketball court, if you have this kind of heart, you will always have my respect. Just goes to show, there are a lot of good people in this world, and he is just one that they happened to do an article on. We need more stories like this. Proud of all who admire this act, and definitely proud of Dwight Howard. :clap:

Gators123
09-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Great Story! :up:

TO Rapz
09-08-2010, 08:16 PM
This is a wonderful story. Dwight Howard is an amazing human being, and seeing an act of kindness like this gives me even more faith in mankind.

"He told this 4-foot-11 woman who is dying of cancer, "You are taller than me."

Truly touching. I don't care what you do on the basketball court, if you have this kind of heart, you will always have my respect. Just goes to show, there are a lot of good people in this world, and he is just one that they happened to do an article on. We need more stories like this. Proud of all who admire this act, and definitely proud of Dwight Howard. :clap:

Exactly. :clap:

Mckphins
09-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Truly amazing. Dwight is such a good guy

Alleyeson49
09-08-2010, 08:32 PM
This. He might still have a raw offensive game and he may have flaws, but this is one of the things that makes someone a great humam being. I really respect Dwight for things like this, I love to see this kinda stuff. It brings joy to your heart, and Magic fans should be proud and so should the entire NBA. Not only do they have a talented young centre, but they have an even better person. Good job Dwight, dont be like other NBA players, be a good human being. :clap: :cheers:

I saw that you contributed this earlier too my friend. It was great to see. It's nice to see people giving credit where credit is due. Good job!

unwantedplayer
09-08-2010, 08:34 PM
There is no comical side to this. You sir, are an ignorant piece of ****. A lady is dying and she simply wanted to meet someone she admires a ton. Respect Dwight for doing this and not wanting the fame, and just let the poor lady live. Its good to hear things like this happen with our pro athletes, there are only a small bunch out there.

Agreed.

Bricklayer
09-08-2010, 08:52 PM
2 words, class act.

hgtiger32
09-08-2010, 09:00 PM
exactly why he's my favorite player in the NBA. it just adds to that...

CB29
09-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Dwight Howard = Awesome Guy

Giaps
09-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Dwight is the kind of player the NBA needs more of. He's a great role model.

saucy1
09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
ive met alot of pro athletes most of them have their head up their ***.Dwight Howard was one of the happiest and friendly people i can remember meeting.Good to see he doesnt appear to be changing to much with super money and celebrity

King Drew
09-08-2010, 09:57 PM
wow this story leaves me speechless.

NYtilIdie
09-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Man, when it said she knew she was gonna die I was speechless. Coming to grips with the fact that you're going to die soon damn sure isn't easy, but she's dying a happy lady and thats really all you could hope for especially a girl in her condition.

Big ups to Dwight :clap:

Mikey Roxx
09-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Very classy and respectable move by Dwight. More athletes with genuine heart and good will like him are needed.

xbrackattackx
09-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Hope TheHoopsProphet has a horrible death.

And MaMa Kay lives....Just Saying.

k24springs
09-08-2010, 11:28 PM
It is a great story D12 is truly a classy guy. When youre able to touch someone like that it just shows his character. The NBA needs more guys like this most of them just do it for the publicity. Big ups to Superman 2.0

ElMarroAfamado
09-08-2010, 11:33 PM
""I was sitting way up in the cheap seats," she says, "but I felt like I was in heaven.""

gut wrenching :(

Jack of Blades
09-08-2010, 11:39 PM
terminally chill

:cool:

ManningToTyree
09-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Way to go Dwight you are a class act.

Ebbs
09-09-2010, 12:24 AM

I don't know but personally I would be really shook up. Though death is common it's tough to handle when it becomes personal.

RaiderLakersA's
09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
""I was sitting way up in the cheap seats," she says, "but I felt like I was in heaven.""

gut wrenching :(

It would be nice if she could make it to the regular season and get courtside seats for one of the games.

tennisoscar1
09-09-2010, 12:26 PM
hope she gets to see him play :)

thekmp211
09-09-2010, 02:13 PM
this to me is better than any of those "my wish" things they did on espn. not that those are bad, but they are staged up quite a bit. this seemed organic. great story.

king4day
09-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Great story. The fact that he didn't act as if it were just an appearance. He stayed and talked with her.

Da Knicks
09-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Hope TheHoopsProphet has a horrible death.

And MaMa Kay lives....Just Saying.

:facepalm:DUDE you just acted like him saying something like that...lets just drop the whole negative out of this good story.:D

Tony_Starks
09-09-2010, 05:26 PM
You can tell that Dwight is a genuine good guy thats had some great christian parents. He's not perfect but definitely represents the best that the NBA has to offer from a role model perspective.

Amidst all the NBA divas its refreshing to see a player thats shows its still ok to have fun and be a nice guy, especially if you have kids you can really appreciate that.

pistonsfanomg
09-09-2010, 06:07 PM
What an Class Act

todu82
09-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Great story. Howard seems like a decent guy. Good to see an athlete getting good press for once.

THE WALL
09-09-2010, 06:38 PM
wow. he's such a great guy ;)

Mochalman
09-10-2010, 07:20 AM
stay classy dwight

Antipod
09-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Clap :clap:

Hawkeye15
09-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Amongst all the babies, premadaonnas, and selfish players in the NBA, Dwight stands with a few that define what a professional athlete should be.

SA5195
09-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Wow :clap:

leafsrule99
09-10-2010, 09:40 AM
got the goose bumps

TheHoopsProphet
09-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Wow, it doesn't take much for you guys to get inspired. You guys must have orgasms watching Rudy on your dvd player.

The only reasons I'm being "tasteless" about all this, is because it is actually kind of selfish of dwight to do this, and its amazing how you guys dont see it. Can't you see how it clearly is a media ploy, a P.R. move encouraged by his agent, to further lionize his image as "the good guy" of the NBA? He is using her death as an opportunity to make himself look better. When Dwight does these things with no media involvement, and just a simple act of helping the fellow man, that's when I will commend him.

p.s. And I wish upon nobody a horrible death, not even Glen Beck.