PDA

View Full Version : Did the Celtics open Pandora's Box?

KnicksGuard
09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
3 Stars on 1 team is the new Norm. Not long ago 2 stars were more than enough. Sooooo... Did the Celtics open Pandora's Box?

abe_froman
09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
how is it the new norm?

bigsams50
09-08-2010, 04:54 PM
3 stars on teams have happened way before the current Celtics. The 80's Lakers and Celtics for example

DerekRE_3
09-08-2010, 04:58 PM
how is it the new norm?

It's definitely the new norm, just look at the Raptors "young gunz." Even they have their big 3.

abe_froman
09-08-2010, 05:02 PM
It's definitely the new norm, just look at the Raptors "young gunz." Even they have their big 3.

:laugh2: touche

but seriously,the 3 player foundation format is something most teams have had for while(just not always are they all/super stars,but sometimes yes they do).i mean looks at ,west,wilt,baylor(before he quit)...that isnt a big 3?

SouthSideRookie
09-08-2010, 05:05 PM
NO they didn't, the difference with the Miami thing is that Lebron and the others are in their prime of their careers.

Avenged
09-08-2010, 05:40 PM
It just seems like it because of the impact the Celtics made and the noise the Heat are making without yet to play a game.

But all of this is nothing new, it's happened before. The Lakers are a good example of only having 2 stars but also having very good players around them to have won the title after the Celtics won theirs.

Joshtd1
09-08-2010, 05:46 PM
No..teams like the Celts and LA back then had 3 stars. If you want to go with recently, it was probably the Spurs with their big 3.

thescore53
09-08-2010, 06:05 PM

u mad ? :D

yes.we.did

save the knicks
09-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I had this thought for a while but then i became aware that Kevin Michale came off the bench.

I think teams have always attempted to get as many super star players as they can.

llemon
09-08-2010, 06:13 PM
NO they didn't, the difference with the Miami thing is that Lebron and the others are in their prime of their careers.

And Bird, Parish and McHale weren't?

abe_froman
09-08-2010, 06:24 PM
And Bird, Parish and McHale weren't?

not at the point the c's got them,so they didnt know what they were getting

llemon
09-08-2010, 06:34 PM
not at the point the c's got them,so they didnt know what they were getting

Are you kidding? They didn't know what they were getting in Larry Bird?

They traded the #1 pick in the draft and a second high draft pick to get Parish and McHale.

Just because it didn't cost the Celts over $42 mil doesn't mean they didn't know what they were getting

DerekRE_3
09-08-2010, 06:47 PM

yes.we.did

Not mad, terrified.

Klivlend
09-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Not mad, terrified.

Just wanted to let you know I just watched the videos in your sig. And, I would like to officially join the Kings bandwagon. Is that cool? Too late?

thescore53
09-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Not mad, terrified.

it's ok. we might not win it our first try.... but derozan did say we'll win 7.

abe_froman
09-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Are you kidding? They didn't know what they were getting in Larry Bird?

They traded the #1 pick in the draft and a second high draft pick to get Parish and McHale.

Just because it didn't cost the Celts over $42 mil doesn't mean they didn't know what they were getting

yes because draft picks always pan out.all rookies are exactly the same as multiple time all stars.

they had hope that they'd develop but they didnt know,parish while was on the upswing,wasnt exactly a dominating factor in gs.

so yeah,they didnt get them all after they were in their prime,knowing they are allstars

n83417
09-08-2010, 07:36 PM
it's ok. we might not win it our first try.... but derozan did say we'll win 7.

7 Games?

sp1derm00
09-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Isn't it a Big 4 now since Rondo is considered their best player by some?

The Celtics worked out so well because of KG's defensive intensity and the spacing Ray and Pierce provided. They meshed together so well.

I don't think you can put any 3 stars in the NBA together and expect a contender the caliber of the Celtics. They have to have purpose and compliment each other.

An example of failed stars put together for no apparent reason: the Cavs.

The addition of Shaq was understandable, to stop Dwight. However, the addition of Antawn Jamison made no sense at all to me. Jamison had no purpose or fit within that system. Defensively, he was a liability. Cleveland put together a good core of players that put up wins through Lebron. He was surrounded by shooters, defenders, and rebounders. Antawn Jamison is none of those things. He can shoot, but not well. Defense is nonexistent. Rebounding is decent, but he's still undersized. They just snatched him up because he was available and he didn't fit in. Cleveland came out a worse team.

llemon
09-08-2010, 08:02 PM
yes because draft picks always pan out.all rookies are exactly the same as multiple time all stars.

they had hope that they'd develop but they didnt know,parish while was on the upswing,wasnt exactly a dominating factor in gs.

so yeah,they didnt get them all after they were in their prime,knowing they are allstars

Bird was there already (like Wade).

Parish was an established Center that they traded for (much better and valuable than Bosh).

And you want to take credit away from them because they were right about McHale?

Let's see if Lebron's elbow is okay before we decide Heat knew what they were doing and Celtics didn't.

For that matter, let's see if Bosh works out as well as any of those three Celtics.

Wade>You
09-08-2010, 08:03 PM
The Celtics did open Pandora's box --- the 60s Celtics.

thescore53
09-08-2010, 08:11 PM
7 Games?

in 7 games ? i dont think miami will hang for 7, maybe lakers can force game seven if kobe scores 81 on us again .

albertc86
09-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Three stars on one team is not a new phenomena as others have mentioned. The Celtics just started the trend again. It was more common back in the days because there were less teams; it's a diluted league these days. More teams translates into a diluted league where the bigger markets inherit the best players and the bottom feeders end up with crappy teams and a chance of getting better through the lottery. I remember Jerry West a few years ago suggesting that the league eliminate the bottom teams who are not only performing poorly but not generating any significant revenue for their city. I like the idea from a basketball standpoint because it would create a more balanced league and teams would be stronger overall.

Philly Hammer
09-08-2010, 09:00 PM

yes.we.didWho is Toronto's small 3 again because I don't think I ever heard of them.

thescore53
09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Who is Toronto's small 3 again because I don't think I ever heard of them.

sonny weems, demar derozan, amir johnson, damn u call urself a basketball fan :facepalm: three of the biggest stars in the league.

i though u should know weems after the whopping he put on the sixers

Super.
09-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Psssh Having 3 stars on one team is so 2008.

Now 4 stars is the way to go

LAcowBOMBER
09-08-2010, 09:48 PM
sonny weems, demar derozan, amir johnson, damn u call urself a basketball fan :facepalm: three of the biggest stars in the league.

i though u should know weems after the whopping he put on the sixers

Are you being serious? I wouldn't even call all of them stars.

The Celtics didn't do it. Teams have been doing it with slightly older players, like the Lakers with Malone and Payton, but they did seem to start the trnd with players n their prime.

The older "big 3s" that have been mentioned were not formed the way the other teams were, especially the way the Heat did it

llemon
09-08-2010, 09:55 PM
The older "big 3s" that have been mentioned were not formed the way the other teams were, especially the way the Heat did it

Heat first team to form a big three through free agency.

And the Bird, McHale, Parish big 3 were not old, at least not until they were together for awhile.

LAcowBOMBER
09-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Heat first team to form a big three through free agency.

And the Bird, McHale, Parish big 3 were not old, at least not until they were together for awhile.

Well the Heat weren't entirely formed through free agency, Wade was there and I know the Celtics weren't old, I just worded it oddly.

Players getting together to win should surprise no one and has been gong on in different ways for quite sometime now.

JasonJohnHorn
09-08-2010, 10:15 PM
3? 4? However many great players you can get. The Celtics had Dennis Johnson, Larry Bird and Robert Parish starting, all HOFers and McHale and Walton coming off the bench, both HOFers.

The Lakers back in the day had Goodrich, West, Baylor and Chamberlain. The Celtics of the 60's had 5 or 6 or 7 HOFers on their team at any one time. The Pistons in the later 80's/early90s had Joe D, Thomas and Rodman, with Lambier and Mark Aguire.. The 80s Lakers had Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Green, Scott, Cooper. The Bulls had Jordan, Pippen and Rodman.

As for LBJ/Wade/Bosh, the sales pitch Riley threw at them was: every dynasty had three great players. So Riley certainly didnt think it was new.

There are teams like the Billups/Wallace lead Pistons who had no 'stars' (even though they had five all-stars) and the Spurs who happen to have the greatest power forward of all time and a great coach, both of whom put winning first and in turn only see Duncan put up numbers that are easily trumped by the likes of Baylor, Malone and even Zach Randolph at times, but in the end comes out with more titles than any of them.

there is no set parameter for a championship team. Every team that wins has to do something different than the last team to be better. the Celtics now have 6 all-star caliber players on their team, guys who have either been all-stars, or were all-stars or play at an all-star level (Rondo, Garnett, Peirce, allen, shaq and J ONeal).

So its all abotu chemistry and who has the better match-ups.

And Toronto doesnt have a big three. They dont even have a big one.

Rego247
09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Are you being serious? I wouldn't even call all of them stars.

The Celtics didn't do it. Teams have been doing it with slightly older players, like the Lakers with Malone and Payton, but they did seem to start the trnd with players n their prime.

he was being sarcastic.

DerekRE_3
09-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Just wanted to let you know I just watched the videos in your sig. And, I would like to officially join the Kings bandwagon. Is that cool? Too late?

Never too late.

Luke_K77bear
09-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Shaq is a Curse