PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember your First Dunk?

KnicksGuard
09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
nostalgia. 16 and on the neighborhood bully. the neighborhood went wild.

asandhu23
09-08-2010, 04:30 PM
dunked at 14 couple of months before I shattered my knee in a mountain biking accident which ended my basketball "career". no one cared

northsider
09-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Haven't played ball in a while my knees are shot. I still haven't dunked but, have came damn close and just ended up finger rolling it in. I have dunked out of a game on a smaller rec center hoop but, never in a game for fear I will just put myself to shame.

Hellcrooner
09-08-2010, 04:40 PM
No,

Since dunking on kids size basketballs dont count i guess.

I can ......could when i was younger grab the ring but didnt jump enough to put the ball in.

Kashmir13579
09-08-2010, 04:41 PM
5'11 caucasian here.

SA5195
09-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I have no hops at all. :cry:

Kashmir13579
09-08-2010, 04:42 PM
dunked at 14 couple of months before I shattered my knee in a mountain biking accident which ended my basketball "career". no one cared

thats horrible bro

John Walls Era
09-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Can't dunk. Closest was grabbing the rim.... that was the closest I came to dunking. I have decent hops, but my hops suck when I'm carrying something (ball).

BOSTON617
09-08-2010, 04:46 PM
5'11 caucasian here.

im 6'2 and i can dunk im white.... i messed my ankle up pretty bad in summer league so i can only hit rim now but i was dunking when i was a bit more atheletic my first dunk was prob 16 sophmore year high school

levignjw
09-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Yes I absolutely remember my first time because it has nor never will happen.

DodgerBulls
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
does 6-7 foot count? i'm not tall at all so yeahhh.. unless the kid size counts then it was amazing! if it wasnt plastic, i would have shattered that thing!

Gators123
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
5'11 caucasian here.

This

NJRaiderSoxFan
09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
the first and only time ive ever dunked was in my high school gym and i had my addrenaline pumping. only one of my friends saw it though

Ragun
09-08-2010, 04:51 PM
i could do one hand alley-oop dunks often but i cant do one hand dunks. i can occasionally dunk both hands once in a while. but my running vertical jump sucks. i have a very good standing high jump vertical.

my knees are messed.

NYYCowboys
09-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I got good hops but I'm only 5'7'' I can grab the rim, but never have dunked before. I will stick to distributing lol.

C_Mund
09-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Warm-up for the first game of grade 11. It was weird because I'd tried so many times, and then all of a sudden I could just do it.
....haven't dunked in years though. My hips are falling apart. I can still grab the rim but that's not saying much for a 6'3 lanky dude.

Niro
09-08-2010, 04:57 PM
i am 6.1 and cant dunk on a regular basket...i did some nice thinks on lower baskets though lol

PLAYERS FAN
09-08-2010, 05:01 PM
My first dunk was at a local gym. I was 13 yrs old and I was 5'9 at that time.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2010, 05:03 PM
5'11 caucasian here.

haha, me too basically. But I did craploads of drills to get ups
summer between 10-11th grade. Open gym. I have big hands, could palm it.

Gators123
09-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Can't wait to hear all the story's about people on this site doing 360 between the leg dunks and 720 dunks :rolleyes:

Hellcrooner
09-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Can't wait to hear all the story's about people on this site doing 360 between the leg dunks and 720 dunks :rolleyes:

ive done some of those .........

http://www.fuikaomar.es/images/MicroPanierLakers.gif

Hellcrooner
09-08-2010, 05:07 PM
mmm gfunny im not the onl 5,11 caucasion.........mmm almost caucasian.

Kashmir13579
09-08-2010, 05:11 PM
haha, me too basically. But I did craploads of drills to get ups
summer between 10-11th grade. Open gym. I have big hands, could palm it.

i could dunk with a girls ball because its super easy to palm. if only i was blessed with a little bit more wingspan.... i've been out of highschool for 5 years now so i doubt i can jump as high anymore.

Tmath
09-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Im 6'2 caucasian i used to just be able to dunk, never in a game .....can't really remember my first dunk though (smoked a lot of weed in my day lol)

sixer04fan
09-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I can touch net. Holla.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2010, 05:21 PM
i could dunk with a girls ball because its super easy to palm. if only i was blessed with a little bit more wingspan.... i've been out of highschool for 5 years now so i doubt i can jump as high anymore.

oh I haven't even tried to dunk for 10 years. no way could I now

k24springs
09-08-2010, 05:36 PM
My first dunk was after practice when I was in the 9th grade I think I was 15 . I only stand at 5-5 and used to jump out of a gym. Now not so much because some days I can get up there and some days I cant. I have a hard time dunking because I have small hands so its hard to palm a basketball.

homestarunner93
09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I can't dunk because even though I can jump pretty well, I'm 5'7'' and white. I've had some pretty nasty throw downs on 7 foot goals, though. :D

Faneik
09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
i could do one hand alley-oop dunks often but i cant do one hand dunks. i can occasionally dunk both hands once in a while. but my running vertical jump sucks. i have a very good standing high jump vertical.

my knees are messed.

same. my standing jump is way better than my running jump.

lots of guys are like that. great dunkers that come to mind that prefer the standing jump:
- dominique
- jason richardson

Rose uses it a lot too.

6'1 caucasian, couldn't palm the ball. I never dunked on a game, but once in practice dunked on a rebound with 2 hands.

Avenged
09-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm 5'5-5'6, I can barely hang on to the net. :laugh2:

geraptor
09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
i can do all the basic stuff and maybe a tomahawk or windmill here and there
i dont dunk in games because i guess im a ***** about maybe missing it :o
my first dunk was at 16
for the records im a 68 wing :D

yuoke
09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
5'11 caucasian here.
^^^

ryder78c
09-08-2010, 05:56 PM
5'9" Black Big Hands i got good ups i can grab Net close to rim.... i can do alot of tight layups though my favorite i do in horse 360 between the legs layup.... i doubt it looks good but i can do it .... im more of a point guard though hell i wish i was 6'3-6'4" with the same hops i'd easily dunk but im more of a passer layup guy at my size

i remember doing a Reach Dunk but it was at this elementary school with lowered hoops they were probly 7 foot

natelpete
09-08-2010, 05:57 PM
6', white, and i played hockey

Sadds The Gr8
09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
i wish i could dunk and even i'm black....i'm only 5'10.

NJRaiderSoxFan
09-08-2010, 06:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JODQryPQm8

b_russ
09-08-2010, 06:06 PM
7'8" with stubby arms, almost can dunk it.

COBY KARL
09-08-2010, 06:35 PM
i remember my first windmill, 360, elbow dunk, and double pump reverse dunks.

on an 8 foot rim

Rego247
09-08-2010, 07:02 PM
first time was an off the backboard allyoop to myself, then 360s, between the legs, etc.

i have 2 broken fisher price nets that can testify to this.

C-Dub
09-08-2010, 07:23 PM
im still workin on my first on a 10 ft rim. im 5'9" and hang on the rim, but can only dunk on a rim as high as 9'7" right now tho.
and why do people say their color lol, its got nothing to do with ups, i can jump that high and im white while my black cousin pretty much the same height can barely touch the net, its got literally nothin to do with it haha
i can do through the legs and anything else on an 8 foot rim tho lol.

barreleffact
09-08-2010, 07:23 PM
12th grade. I have been 6'0 as long as I can remember. Im still only 22. Im black and my vert used to be 32-34 inches depending ob adrenalin. Now, idk. I cant imagine it being any less than 30 now. a few months ago I played and could still get it on occasion and on days my legs actualy felt good, it seemed about the same.

Anyway, I NEVER knew I had ups. 9th grade all the way until that moment I had only touched rim and that was it. 9th grade bottom of it and 12th about 3-4 inches above it. I went to a park my senior year and decided to try some dunks for the hell of it and i got them. I was amazed so I went to school th enext day and from that moment on I went from 3" above to my hand or more which is 8". A good day with my legs I would get to touch about 10' 10" and maybe 11' but my problem was always that I had trouble palming it, or i would always throw it out of th eback of the rim. Im goin to Iraq this week so lets see what happens when I finally have time/nothing better to do than train. lol

barreleffact
09-08-2010, 07:26 PM
im still workin on my first on a 10 ft rim. im 5'9" and hang on the rim, but can only dunk on a rim as high as 9'7" right now tho.
and why do people say their color lol, its got nothing to do with ups, i can jump that high and im white while my black cousin pretty much the same height can barely touch the net, its got literally nothin to do with it haha
i can do through the legs and anything else on an 8 foot rim tho lol.

very true. some white guys can sky and a lot of black people cant really jump high at all. Its mainly a percentage thing because statistically its more common to find a black guy with hops. That and the fact that when you think of dunkers, historically you think of a black man such as vince when he dunked on that 7' guy

C-Dub
09-08-2010, 07:27 PM
^good luck in Iraq. and ya i gotcha, i know 3 different black guys my height in school with me right now who can throw down, but i cant yet. normally i think of black guys when i think of dunking, but its really just how you train. i would like to be able to dunk by the end of the semester (in college). if anyone would like to give me some pointers on how to work on my vert please send a private message or ask for my facebook/twitter info in a private message, thanks!

If anyone wants to know what Nate Robinson would say, I asked him cuz he follows me on twitter and he said his ups came from doing a ton of sit ups, not squats as much. ;)

Rivera
09-08-2010, 07:32 PM
:cry: i cant and will never dunk!!!! :cry:

but i did dunk once on a 8 foot hoop i thought i was a beast!!!!

Ray_R
09-08-2010, 07:42 PM
im 6'2 and i can dunk im white.... i messed my ankle up pretty bad in summer league so i can only hit rim now but i was dunking when i was a bit more atheletic my first dunk was prob 16 sophmore year high school

liar

Jewelz0376
09-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I remember my first dunk was the summer after 6th grade...I always told every1 I could dunk, but never actually really tried to .. I had gone up for layups and could tell I could get close, but was always too scared to try it lol... finally one day I was hooping and some guy asked if I could dunk and I said yea and he goes "lets see"...I tried even tho i figured I was going to get rim checked but I actually dunked it...It was a pretty weak dunk, but I was still super pumped inside..but I played it off like it was no big deal since I had been saying for so long I could dunk hahaha

barreleffact
09-08-2010, 07:56 PM
liar

lol. thats funny

^good luck in Iraq. and ya i gotcha, i know 3 different black guys my height in school with me right now who can throw down, but i cant yet. normally i think of black guys when i think of dunking, but its really just how you train. i would like to be able to dunk by the end of the semester (in college). if anyone would like to give me some pointers on how to work on my vert please send a private message or ask for my facebook/twitter info in a private message, thanks!

If anyone wants to know what Nate Robinson would say, I asked him cuz he follows me on twitter and he said his ups came from doing a ton of sit ups, not squats as much. ;)

thanks bro. thats crazy how important your core is. I know your core is your main source for stamina but never imagined it for hops. maybe its because of a posture thing or who knows, but thats pretty cool. A lot of people have also said calf muscles too, but honestly I never found a more noticable increase in my vert than when I did squats. Thighs are so important if you are jumping off two legs, and squats work out everything pretty much from the back down and afterwards you can do calf raises w the weight too.

Lloyd Christmas
09-08-2010, 07:57 PM
No but I remember my first beer

caddiemaster
09-08-2010, 08:30 PM
I used to come home with marks on my wrist where my arm would hit the rim.Way down my arm.When I was 27 I was driving sideways from the corner and went up for a layup and looked over and could see the rim,I reached over and slammed the sh.. out of it!I,ll never forget!I'm a 6,0 white guy and can jump through the roof but my hands are to small to palm the ball.The next week I hurt my knee in a pickup game and never really tried ever again.My knee has never been the same and I love basketball!Big thanks to all the young guy's playing for our country in the olympics!

C-Dub
09-08-2010, 08:37 PM
^ I have jumpers knee and it starts getting really painful after i try for too long. i have to wear braces on both my knees when i work on my vert. my hands are too small too but i know if i get a few more inches ill still be able to do a 2 handed dunk. i just want to f'n dunk so bad!!!

netsgiantsyanks
09-08-2010, 08:46 PM
im too big, im 5'7 178 pounds :( i have decent hops though

MiamiWadeCounty
09-08-2010, 10:17 PM
6'3 white. i started in 11th grade. can dunk if i am warmed up and get a running start. i cant dunk in a game though. im losin my hops a little bit every yeat

zambo4president
09-08-2010, 10:24 PM
6'3 and Im real close, I can grab the rim and I can yam on the rim and get rejected, Im right there. Been building up my legs extra hard lately I think Ill get it pretty soon.

JLynn943
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm a 5'9" overweight white guy who can't palm the ball, so yeah, I dunk all the time.

netsgiantsyanks
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
i remember the first time i crossed the **** outta someone, i ran up court, turned, faked left, dude went for it completely, went to the right and hit the jumper, the whole place went crazy, but there was only like 30 people there, lol

runforrestrunx9
09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
5'11 caucasian here.

6'1 but still caucasian here

G-Bay New J
09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
5' 7" and whiteee. I can get the rim on a good day though. :)

DCsports
09-08-2010, 10:41 PM
I can touch the rim....that's cool to right?

shep33
09-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Grade 9 I believe, in a warm-up line. Haha anybody notice that they jump higher in pre game warm ups then any other time? All that adrenaline.

AntiG
09-08-2010, 10:46 PM
10th grade in gym class @ 5'8 (was 5'10 by the next year). I had crazy hops back in the day.

barreleffact
09-08-2010, 10:57 PM
i remember the first time i crossed the **** outta someone, i ran up court, turned, faked left, dude went for it completely, went to the right and hit the jumper, the whole place went crazy, but there was only like 30 people there, lol

i still remember the last time i made sumon fall. it was a simple in and out w a great head fake. i laughed my *** off after...ahh. the good ol days

PHX2daDEATH
09-08-2010, 11:05 PM
i was about 4 or 5 years old.. i always wondered what an oreo would taste like in milk. So i went to my fridge and got out the gallon of milk. I reached way up and grabbed a few oreos from the counter n' dropped them in the milk.. DUNK DUNK DUNK mmm mmm good

still1ballin
09-08-2010, 11:07 PM
I haven't played basketball in over 2 1/2 years. Its too hot in Miami.

C-Dub
09-08-2010, 11:19 PM
^PHX2daDeath you too funny haha. we should have a competition to see who can dunk first out of those who cant yet. idk how wed do that tho

_KB24_
09-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm 6'1 and my soccer training was what really brought up my legs. I first dunked in ball practice during sophomore year after many, many attempts. My first in-game dunk was as a senior where I swear, I postered the opposing Armenian center with my impression of the Superman dunk. :cool:

Hawkeye15
09-08-2010, 11:23 PM
I had 3 dunks in high school. I also had a missed dunk where I came up short, and the ball hit the middle of the rim with my momentum behind it, and my body straightened out in that embarrassing, "I just tried to dunk, but didn't get high enough" thing. It hurt my back so bad, I went down, ate crap, and got pulled. Awesome.

Chi-Town Sports
09-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Wooo, I'm 15 and 5'6" nowhere near being able to dunk.

Antipod
09-09-2010, 12:47 PM
No, never dunked..too short)

d-baller23
09-09-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm just startin out on dunking. I been dunk since December last year. I'm 6'2, and I'm perfect for a All Star Game, I can't dunk on nobody yet unless they're not jumpin wit me, but I can def. put it in on a fast break.

I can bounce it off the backboard and dunk, I can do the spider dunk, and hang on the rim upside down, I can't do a full 360 yet but I can 180-270 degree spin. I can two hand slam. Ppl say I dunk like Rudy Gay because I always put my knee up.lol

Tony_Starks
09-09-2010, 02:52 PM
The 1st dunk that really stands out in a game was like 11th grade. We used to always play the seniors and they would just bully us all over the court. I got the rock on a kick out and got my momentum and took off of one leg. Dude jumped late to try to block me and actually got part of the ball and I just cocked back and threw it down hard one hand!

It was craaaazy cuz the game stopped and everyone was clowning him and shoving like "daaaaaaamn you got bashed on!" He was totally pissed off, like "try it again, I'll pack that!" I was like hell naw.

In my hayday I used to catch lobs, smash on the break, and my favorite were tip dunks that caught people off gaurd. I used to try to make it a special point to try to catch at least one person slippin but people caught on started hard fouling when I went up and it kinda threw my game off. I was scared of getting low bridged so I started chillin out.

Now unfortunately I play like a old white guy. Fundamentals still there, but no high flying.....

Boo2u
09-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Can't dunk... but I remember my first time being dunked AGAINST.

I was about 18, and visiting a friend in Cincinnati. We went to a neighborhood court, and much like Woody in "White Men Can't Jump" I was the lone white guy in the group. So when we broke into teams, despite being six-foot tall, they matched me up with the shortest guy on the other team (about 5'7" or so). First time down the court, the guy drives the lane on me. I jump up to defend the shot... hit my peak with long arms extended... and as I start falling, he keeps rising. Beautiful dunk right over me, from a few inches above the rim... put me right in my place.

Had a great time regardless, but it sure reminded me how poor my vertical leap is.

Tony_Starks
09-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Can't dunk... but I remember my first time being dunked AGAINST.

I was about 18, and visiting a friend in Cincinnati. We went to a neighborhood court, and much like Woody in "White Men Can't Jump" I was the lone white guy in the group. So when we broke into teams, despite being six-foot tall, they matched me up with the shortest guy on the other team (about 5'7" or so). First time down the court, the guy drives the lane on me. I jump up to defend the shot... hit my peak with long arms extended... and as I start falling, he keeps rising. Beautiful dunk right over me, from a few inches above the rim... put me right in my place.

Had a great time regardless, but it sure reminded me how poor my vertical leap is.

Haha! Reminds me of what they used to call "dunk bait." At least you were a good sport though....

PC
09-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I could grab rim but that's about it

Ollie Tabooger
09-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Just turned 18, 6'2". I've dunked like twice in my life, and it was pretty recent. I always get stuffed by the rim, or I lose the ball cause I have small, weak hands.

Gators123
09-09-2010, 03:21 PM
^ Related to Kwame Brown

IHeartNY
09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm 1.83m, Euro and white, I can't dunk ... ;) I've got other skills though ...

Lo Porto
09-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Oh yeah I remember. I had this nice cake donut from Krispy Kreme and the hot chocolate was screaming for it. I took that donut and dunked it to my fingertips burned in the hot chocolate. I was only 9 and I'll never forget it...

mikantsass
09-09-2010, 03:51 PM
I remember my first dunk. It was on Derrick Rose. My nutsack was all over his drumset!

Super.
09-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Does it count if you lowered the rim a bit? Cuz im white and go little ops.

3v3 tourney at a party, we lowered the hoop a bit so people could dunk. I got a full head of steam and launched over this kid. I ripped the hoop down. It was ****ing awesome.

I wish i could really dunk tho

td0tsfinest
09-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm like 5'9, I can barely touch the rim. I can a dunk a 9 though.