PDA

View Full Version : Hornets shopping for backup Point guard and Center

spreadeagle
09-08-2010, 12:39 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/09/new-orleans-hornets-to-make-additional-moves/

The new coach, Monty Williams, thinks the team isnít done moving pieces around. From the Times-Picayune: ďTo appease [Chris] Paulís wishes to improve the roster, the Hornets acquired swingman Trevor Ariza from the Houston Rockets in a four-team deal that involved the Hornets sending backup point guard Darren Collison and forward James Posey to the Indiana Pacers. The Hornets also traded Julian Wright to the Toronto Raptors for shooting guard Marco Belinelli. ĎMy gut feeling is that we are not done yet,í Williams said. ĎDell and I share information on both sides. I talk to him about players and he talks to me about things we can do. Maybe thatís one of the reasons why we work so well together. Trevor and Belinelli are pieces that will make things a little more efficient. I think Trevor is going to change the dynamics of our defense, but Iím not going to put all the pressure on him to stop guys or score 15 to 20 points every night.í The Hornets continue to seek a backup point guard and backup center either through a trade or free agency.Ē

spreadeagle
09-08-2010, 12:40 AM
They had a great back up PG in Collison smh

Hugbees
09-08-2010, 12:41 AM
ha.....

Sadds The Gr8
09-08-2010, 12:47 AM
They had a great back up PG in Collison smh

too good to be a backup.

masalex1205
09-08-2010, 12:47 AM
they should have asked for more for Collison

Raidaz4Life
09-08-2010, 12:49 AM

ding ding ding we have a winner

spreadeagle
09-08-2010, 12:54 AM

Like DJ Augustine and Tyson Chandler lol, Seriously that would have been gold for both sides

spreadeagle
09-08-2010, 12:58 AM
What does N.O have to offer in a trade besides Peja?. Raptors have Calderon and Jack.Char has Augustine who could probably be had but they would need a PG back.Stucky on Pistons maybe not sure if he is a PG or SG though.Kirk Hinrich in Was they have Wall and Arenas already

JabberJaw
09-08-2010, 01:04 AM
Wow, I just realized they traded Collison. What a bunch of idiots, considering they are looking for a backup PG. Ummmm, you had one of the best backup PG's in the league...haha. Wow, what I would give to have Collison on my team, as a backup. Guy is money and only getting better.

goblazers7
09-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Like DJ Augustine and Tyson Chandler lol, Seriously that would have been gold for both sides

IMO I think that would be good accounting the fact that Tyson and Paul were good for each other. Throwin oops allllllll day. But they said they want more out of Okafor this year. Adding Tyson would ruin all of that. Augustine would be nice for them, but Tyson is a deal-breaker for that. Would of been nice if they would've got a guy like Tyrus Thomas is return, who's very athletic and would be like a shorter Tyson at PF. Plus it gives them security once West leaves. He would be in a role similar to Lamar Odom and the Lakers. Plus it would give the Hornets another big which is what they need. I'm sure Ty Thomas could clog a few minutes at SF,too. Maybe they should target Larry Hughes if they wanna go FA style for a point guard.

This would of been sick.

Paul/Hughes
Thornton/Bellini
Posey/Brackins
West/Thomas
Okafor/Crappy FA Big

saintdrew
09-08-2010, 01:24 AM
What does N.O have to offer in a trade besides Peja. Raptors have Calderon and Jack.Char has Augustine who could probably be had.Stucky on Pistons maybe not sure if he is a PG or SG though.Kirk Hinrich in Was,they have Wall and Arenas already

Well, being a Hornets fan I'll give you the details on what's up....

Our trade bait includes Peja Stojakovic, and that's it. We are trying to convince David West to stay long-term, which I think is a bad idea considering he's 30 years old, and has an opt-out next season, which means he's going to command more money, and I would rather us spend that on offering a Jeff Green or Al Hortford since they're restricted free agents next offseason. Green & Hortford are arguably the best free agents next year.

(I know you all have heard this a million times but)CP3 wants to win now, which essentially means we have 2 seasons to make him happy or he leaves. Hypothetically if he does leave in 2012, then our roster consists of Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza---that's it...everyone else has opt-outs, team opt-outs, or their contract is just done.

What I'm about to type will/would never happen but in my imaginary world I would trade Peja's expiring $15 million contract for a PG who also has a expiring deal. Then in the offseason we let West walk= and he'll "walk" because he's only getting paid between $7-8 million a season on his current deal, which is very affordable for a 2-time All-Star PF. So like I mentioned above, West will command more money and give us some stupid ultimatum. I would let him walk....fast. Then we allocate some of the money from West & Peja's deal and extend Marcus Thornton to a 4 year deal around $6 or $7 million a season if we can. Then take the rest and offer Jeff Green or Al Hortford a contract. But, some teams will throw their cards all-in for Hortford or Green.

But will someone elaborate on this DJ Augustin trade? Is he available down in Charlotte or what?

jackdawson
09-08-2010, 01:31 AM
They could have got lot more for collison. That just wasn't a good deal for NO. He is gonna be one of the best PG's in the league in two years.

spreadeagle
09-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Well, being a Hornets fan I'll give you the details on what's up....

Our trade bait includes Peja Stojakovic, and that's it. We are trying to convince David West to stay long-term, which I think is a bad idea considering he's 30 years old, and has an opt-out next season, which means he's going to command more money, and I would rather us spend that on offering a Jeff Green or Al Hortford since they're restricted free agents next offseason. Green & Hortford are arguably the best free agents next year.

(I know you all have heard this a million times but)CP3 wants to win now, which essentially means we have 2 seasons to make him happy or he leaves. Hypothetically if he does leave in 2012, then our roster consists of Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza---that's it...everyone else has opt-outs, team opt-outs, or their contract is just done.

What I'm about to type will/would never happen but in my imaginary world I would trade Peja's expiring $15 million contract for a PG who also has a expiring deal. Then in the offseason we let West walk= and he'll "walk" because he's only getting paid between $7-8 million a season on his current deal, which is very affordable for a 2-time All-Star PF. So like I mentioned above, West will command more money and give us some stupid ultimatum. I would let him walk....fast. Then we allocate some of the money from West & Peja's deal and extend Marcus Thornton to a 4 year deal around $6 or $7 million a season if we can. Then take the rest and offer Jeff Green or Al Hortford a contract. But, some teams will throw their cards all-in for Hortford or Green.

But will someone elaborate on this DJ Augustin trade? Is he available down in Charlotte or what?

Ive just heard that Larry Brown isnt super stoked on him and if a good deal came up could be had,but they would need a PG back I assume

Antipod
09-08-2010, 02:51 AM
...and they traded Collison for ****:facepalm:

Hawkeye15
09-08-2010, 08:26 AM
They really should have gotten more for Collision. But, that is not relevant anymore. I think they should attempt to pry Gorat from Orlando by moving an expiring. Orlando could then let VC go next summer, and recieve some relief with that and the expiring. As far as back up PG's go, there are tons in the NBA. That should be pretty simple to handle.

Khalifa21
09-08-2010, 08:35 AM
IMO I think that would be good accounting the fact that Tyson and Paul were good for each other. Throwin oops allllllll day. But they said they want more out of Okafor this year. Adding Tyson would ruin all of that. Augustine would be nice for them, but Tyson is a deal-breaker for that. Would of been nice if they would've got a guy like Tyrus Thomas is return, who's very athletic and would be like a shorter Tyson at PF. Plus it gives them security once West leaves. He would be in a role similar to Lamar Odom and the Lakers. Plus it would give the Hornets another big which is what they need. I'm sure Ty Thomas could clog a few minutes at SF,too. Maybe they should target Larry Hughes if they wanna go FA style for a point guard.

This would of been sick.

Paul/Hughes
Thornton/Bellini
Posey/Brackins
West/Thomas
Okafor/Crappy FA Big

Larry Hughes is an awful SG... There is no way he could play PG even if he was just a backup.

JasonJohnHorn
09-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Stucky on Pistons maybe not sure if he is a PG or SG though.

Dont worry about the confusion there, I'm a Pistons fan and I still dont know which position he plays, and I'm not sure Joe D. knows yet either. I'd gladly move him for some draft picks.

North Yorker
09-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Calderon + $6M TPE for Peja. He's not an expiring but he would be a damn good backup to CP3. The Raps are just looking to shed his contract and rebuild