PDA

View Full Version : Will Michael Beasley live up to his Potential?

PatelJ1010
09-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Many people say him as the next Carmelo Anthony is it still possible for him resurrect his career to become next Carmelo?

When he was drafted the considerations: http://www.nbadraft.net/players/michael-beasley

PlezPlayDKnicks
09-07-2010, 12:38 PM
I think he turns out to be a glenn robinson at best more than a carmelo

b_russ
09-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Antoine Walker

mikealike305
09-07-2010, 12:52 PM
i hope he does, i'll be rooting for him, as a heat fan im upset we couldnt keep him

Sadds The Gr8
09-07-2010, 12:59 PM
nope.

AIsixersFK
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
in the right system and the right supporting cast sure. I don't see him being a Melo but a Glenn Robinson sure. I see him being better than Walker cause he isn't fat or a mason.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I have brought up the Big Dog comparison before. If he can somehow get his midrange to deep two's at an efficient level, he could be productive. He just isn't big and strong enough to play PF full time, not to mention Love is already there. But if Beasley can get it together, and play 30-32 mpg, he could have a much better year

Rivera
09-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Antoine Walker

ding ding ding and we have a winner folks!!!!!!

Antipod
09-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Best wishes to him, hope he`ll find the mental strength to step up

Khalifa21
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
I really hope he does. The guy has so much talent, just doesn't currently have the right mind frame.

Raidaz4Life
09-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Antoine Walker

I would kill to see Michael Beasley hit the game winning 3 against the Heat and then do the shimmy hahahaha

blams
09-07-2010, 01:30 PM
People act as if Walker was never VERY good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=881

:facepalm:

Chronz
09-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Very good?

blams
09-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Very good?

Yes. I don't know how old you are, but I vividly remember him being one of the better SCORERS in the game. I'm only 20 so, I'd imagine you remember that too. It was his first stint with the C's. His 20 ppg season after returning to the C's MAY have been when he became awful...IDK.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 01:38 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/walkean02.html

there is a better one for you
He has never been VERY good

Walker is the pure definition of a chucker who played tons of minutes and fired at will, regardless of whether it helped or hurt (this one) the team

NJrockPD
09-07-2010, 01:46 PM
No.

Tony_Starks
09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
No.

*edit*

Hell no!

*end of edit*

OGMarkWahlberg
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
hes got all the potential in the world...quickness explosiveness amazing hands good shot...its just a shame hes lazy with no dedication or determination. imagine if he had say KG's intensity he could probably be a 20/10 guy in a few years. unfortunately...hes on the twolves nd sadly i bet they start darko over him roflcopter?

Ace33Bone
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I think that comparing him to Melo is an unfair comparison... he will live up to his hype but not as good as Melo

reemy
09-07-2010, 06:14 PM
hes got all the potential in the world...quickness explosiveness amazing hands good shot...its just a shame hes lazy with no dedication or determination. imagine if he had say KG's intensity he could probably be a 20/10 guy in a few years. unfortunately...hes on the twolves nd sadly i bet they start darko over him roflcopter?

haha, yeah who would start darko at center over beasley besides the timberwolves roflcopter

jackdawson
09-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I hope Beasley turns into a beast this year. Wolves are gonna get tons of support from from Heat fans when they play 28 other teams as long as Beasley is there. My gut feeling says he won't have a very good year because Love plays in his position and they will make him play SF, which didn't work.

daleja424
09-07-2010, 06:22 PM
not in minnesota. he is a sf/pf and he is behind love, johnson, etc on the depth chart IMO. That is what hurt him in Miami. He didnt get a chance to grow up on the court b/c there too many other guys getting minutes. If some team would give him 36 mpg this guy would put up 20+/8+...but no one has so far. He could be a star, but he needs the oppertunity.

mynameismo
09-07-2010, 06:25 PM
I still hope so.

He may put up big numbers in Minnesota with all the playing time he gets, but I'm not sure it improves him a lot as a player.

Would've helped if he was on a veteran team like example, the Spurs. Man, he'll learn a lot from Tim and Pops.

kjoke
09-07-2010, 06:29 PM
he will, with the right team

he could still be the best to come out of that years draft :hide:

ChiSox219
09-07-2010, 06:35 PM
not in minnesota. he is a sf/pf and he is behind love, johnson, etc on the depth chart IMO. That is what hurt him in Miami. He didnt get a chance to grow up on the court b/c there too many other guys getting minutes. If some team would give him 36 mpg this guy would put up 20+/8+...but no one has so far. He could be a star, but he needs the oppertunity.

He played 30mpg as a 78 game starter and could not produce, but give him 6 more minutes per game and he'll become a star?

In a tougher conference and without DWade?

xbrackattackx
09-07-2010, 07:34 PM
I think he will Improve and be a nice role player. Never see him as a Superstar.

HiphopRelated
09-07-2010, 07:34 PM
He played 30mpg as a 78 game starter and could not produce, but give him 6 more minutes per game and he'll become a star?

In a tougher conference and without DWade?
what do you mean couldn't produce?

15/6 in 30 mpg isn't producing?..especially @ 21?

What would you consider production in that amount of time?

ChiSox219
09-07-2010, 07:45 PM
what do you mean couldn't produce?

15/6 in 30 mpg isn't producing?..especially @ 21?

What would you consider production in that amount of time?

He couldn't produce because he used a ton of possessions to post average numbers. Even then, his offensive contributions did not outweigh his detrimental defense.

beasted86
09-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Not if reaching his "potential" means 26 PPG, 12 REB, 1.6 BLK, 1.3 STL 53% FG 38% 3PT. He will never be as good as he was in college.

But I see anywhere from Al Harrington (a poor IQ scorer) to Antawn Jamison (a solid all around talent, but can't lead a team). I don't see an Adam Morrison career for him, he's already done more in the league.

97NYer
09-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't know, he needs to get his act together. I would compare him to Antoine Walker.

97NYer
09-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Possibly Antawn Jamison.

ChiSox219
09-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Not if reaching his "potential" means 26 PPG, 12 REB, 1.6 BLK, 1.3 STL 53% FG 38% 3PT. He will never be as good as he was in college.

But I see anywhere from Al Harrington (a poor IQ scorer) to Antawn Jamison (a solid all around talent, but can't lead a team). I don't see an Adam Morrison career for him, he's already done more in the league.

This is good

marlinsfan24
09-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I believe he still can. People say he has no dedication, he does, he just didn't have the right confidence going into game-day. Next season he'll do well. I don't think he'll ever be as good as Melo (though his D may have surpassed Melo's)

JARVIS123
09-07-2010, 08:25 PM
No but In a run & gun system he can be a go to guy.

smith&wesson
09-07-2010, 08:26 PM
he will never be carmelo good. NEVER

but that doesnt mean he cant be good.

in his prime i project hime to be a 19-8 guy but he will never be a great defensive player.

blacknell
09-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Walker is the pure definition of a chucker who played tons of minutes and fired at will, regardless of whether it helped or hurt (this one) the team

he was good.. It was his team when he played with pierce and not to mention he shot over 40% from the field and 32% from the 3 point line how is that bad?

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 08:54 PM
he was good.. It was his team when he played with pierce and not to mention he shot over 40% from the field and 32% from the 3 point line how is that bad?

because those are pathetic, archaic percentages? Walker was horrible, and will be the absolute definition of chucker who hurts his team. I honestly would be hard pressed to come up with a stronger case for phantom numbers.

beasted86
09-07-2010, 09:02 PM
because those are pathetic, archaic percentages? Walker was horrible, and will be the absolute definition of chucker who hurts his team. I honestly would be hard pressed to come up with a stronger case for phantom numbers.

Unless you are a total stat junkie and the ONLY thing you look at is stats, you'll be hard pressed to find any basketball fan with a brain who thinks Walker hurt every team he played for.

You don't get voted into the all-star twice by NBA coaches, 3 times overall by hurting your team, you don't go to the playoffs half your seasons in the NBA by hurting your team, you don't get major rotation minutes on a team that won the NBA championship by hurting your team.

Whether you like Walker's stats or not is besides the point he helped plenty of teams win games.

Chronz
09-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Yes. I don't know how old you are, but I vividly remember him being one of the better SCORERS in the game. I'm only 20 so, I'd imagine you remember that too. It was his first stint with the C's. His 20 ppg season after returning to the C's MAY have been when he became awful...IDK.
You dont know what you were watching then. So many players were better than Walker that his All-Star tag was ridiculous. Dude choked even while winning a title.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Unless you are a total stat junkie and the ONLY thing you look at is stats, you'll be hard pressed to find any basketball fan with a brain who thinks Walker hurt every team he played for.

You don't get voted into the all-star twice by NBA coaches, 3 times overall by hurting your team, you don't go to the playoffs half your seasons in the NBA by hurting your team, you don't get major rotation minutes on a team that won the NBA championship by hurting your team.

Whether you like Walker's stats or not is besides the point he helped plenty of teams win games.

please prove everything you just said, before I even bother to respond.

Ebbs
09-07-2010, 09:57 PM
I dont know about Melo but your crazy if you dont think he has the potential to still be a lower level star in this league. Kid just needs to buckle down, take some initiative, and block out the distractions. I doubt he does any of that though. (Seems like a quitter to me which is sad because he has all the talent.)

h2r09
09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
he will put up stats, he will never be a good player. as a guy who has watched him play every time hes stepped on the court the last 2 years, he is the dumbest player on the face of the planet. He has 0 defensive awareness and is just one of the worst defensive players in the league. and im definitely not overstating that, he is THAT bad. he also is not close to aggressive enough on offense. one game he is great and the next he is timid and shy. being the focal point of an offense will probably help that.

but he is not going to be a great player like it was thought he would be.

Iggz53
09-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Walker was also a good passer, hit 3's, and could make plays on defense. He was a more talented and well-rounded player but just a complete idiot on the court.

I see Beasley as a 18/8 player at best, though that's not so bad. His efficiency on both ends of the court is yet to be seen.

EaglePride615
09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
i think he will. he has alot of talent. people dont understand he didnt get pt in miami not because of his o but his d and rebs. his o is way better than haslem but haslem is a better rebounder and d guy. beasley didnt have plays ran for him in mia. he has alot of talent

cmellofan15
09-07-2010, 10:55 PM
I have a grand idea! why don't we all judge the potential of a player we've seen so little of? I could be on to something...

blacknell
09-07-2010, 10:55 PM

Ray Allen shoots 45% from the field so is there a big difference? The knock on Walker was that he shot to many 3 pointers not that he shot to much or missed alot.. He averaged 20 plus more than 4 times so how does that equal sucking and a season or two he averaged a double double

HeatBBall
09-07-2010, 10:58 PM

:clap::clap::clap:

I couldn't stand to see Walker handling the ball, cause he wouldn't pass it and then chuck up a 3pter from 5ft from the 3pt line and air ball it by the 5ft. wtf is wrong with the man??? and he wanted to make a come back?? oh hell no!!

IBleedPurple
09-07-2010, 11:02 PM
In a word......NO

LakersA's49ers
09-07-2010, 11:10 PM
if he reaches his potential, the TWolves will be smiling

WolvesJagsOs
09-07-2010, 11:14 PM
I think he still has a couple years be4 he actually has his true breakout year, but i think he definetely improves a descent amount from last year.

Iggz53
09-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Ray Allen shoots 45% from the field so is there a big difference? The knock on Walker was that he shot to many 3 pointers not that he shot to much or missed alot.. He averaged 20 plus more than 4 times so how does that equal sucking and a season or two he averaged a double double

Ray Allen also shot extremely well from behind the arc and the line.

So yeah the difference is 48.4% to 57.6% (true shooting percentage)

marjon
09-07-2010, 11:20 PM
i doubt it. but as a role player, i think he can be great. but if he was coming off your bench, he would make a better impact

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 11:24 PM

nope. Doesn't cut it. Honestly, before I totally smash on Walker, someone show me why he was a beneficial player to his team. He was the pure definition of a chucker who shot his team out of games.

Hype
09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Walker was dank for the Wolves. All three or four games. Beasley is gonna be sick, he's who the Wolves should have gotten in the draft anyways. If Heat take Mayo like they should have it would have been on.