PDA

View Full Version : #2 Center in The NBA? (Volume 3 Edition)

Mile High Champ
09-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last two years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. It is now that time to vote! I would like to start this up once more considering the NBA season is now over and we can get to this discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 2 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

I have skipped the number 1 poll as Howard was the obvious choice. I did the same thing with Lebron James at SF. I am trying to save some time as there is still the top 10 best players in the league list after the centers. Thanks for understanding.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best.

1) Dwight Howard
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2009 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Shaquille O'Neal
5) Andrea Bargnani
6) Andris Biedrins
7) Emeka Okafor
8) Nene
9) Brook Lopez
10) Andrew Bynum

2008 Off-Season C Rankings:

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Andrew Bynum
5) Chris Kaman
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Shaquille O'Neal
8) Marcus Camby
9) Jermaine O'neal
10) Andrew Bogut

Hellcrooner
09-07-2010, 10:59 AM
:p

Mile High Champ
09-07-2010, 10:59 AM
There should be a lot of debate about centers so I included a lot of them in the poll.

llemon
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Depends on health of some of these Centers

Mile High Champ
09-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Crap I forgot bogut.. I will ask the mods to add him.. Sorry.

Chronz
09-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Isnt Okur the Center in Utah? LOL at Bargs rating last year, will the homers strike once more?

Hellcrooner
09-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Bargs shouldnt be listed as a center IMO.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2010, 11:03 AM
You need to add Oden or Blazers fans will cry too , they thingk he is the second coming of jesus and not worht sending in a crhis paul or anthony deal.

Mile High Champ
09-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Isnt Okur the Center in Utah? LOL at Bargs rating last year, will the homers strike once more?

We talked about this already in the PF poll. Jefferson is listed as the starting center on various sites going into this season with jazz. There are also other sites that list him on the depth chart at PF. It all depends on if Millsap starts of Okur. Because of this unknown, I decided to put Jefferson back on the center poll since thats what he was last season.

Mile High Champ
09-07-2010, 11:05 AM
You need to add Oden or Blazers fans will cry too , they thingk he is the second coming of jesus and not worht sending in a crhis paul or anthony deal.

I will next time but the guy has never even played one season, its really hard to put him on the list but if there is outcry I will add him.

Raidaz4Life
09-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm not voting until I see Bogut's name up there.

Mile High Champ
09-07-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm not voting until I see Bogut's name up there.

We are working on it. Relax..

Raidaz4Life
09-07-2010, 11:07 AM
We are working on it. Relax..

*Flipping tables and kicking puppies* GIVE ME ANDREW BOGUT!!!

pebloemer
09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Lots of options here:

Injury prone or coming off injured seasons: Yao, Bynum, Jefferson, Bogut, Biedrins

Past prime but still effective: Camby, Shaq

Finesse: Bargnani, Okur

Healthy defensive presences: Noah, Nene, Okafor

Young, up and coming: Horford, Lopez, Gasol

For a lot of voters I guess it is preference.

If healthy, I love Yao for number 2. With Bogut, Jefferson and Bynum all viable options as well.

Otherwise, I like Horford or Lopez to be honest.

Based on Bogut's season last year and assuming his return to health from the rugged fall last year, he'll probably be my number two. Mostly because Jefferson is undersized, and I don't trust Yao's legs. Bynum and Horford are debateable for me here too though.

Mile High Champ
09-07-2010, 11:09 AM
*Flipping tables and kicking puppies* GIVE ME ANDREW BOGUT!!!

haha :p

Hellcrooner
mmm Bogut, theres plenty of time for hi.

Id rther have Lopez, Marc Gasol, Kaman and Helthy Ming or Jeffersoon before him

But of course a Helthy Ming shoudl hve been number 1

Hawkeye15
Yao, since he was cleared good to go a month ago, for me

bigsams50
Yao Ming

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I added Bogut to the poll. thx

Spurstowinitall
09-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Tiago Splitter?

Hellcrooner
09-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Tiago Splitter?

Not yet.

he has to prove himself.

He has a chance to be in the list NExt year if things go smotth for him

Chronz
09-07-2010, 11:16 AM
We talked about this already in the PF poll. Jefferson is listed as the starting center on various sites going into this season with jazz. There are also other sites that list him on the depth chart at PF. It all depends on if Millsap starts of Okur. Because of this unknown, I decided to put Jefferson back on the center poll since thats what he was last season.
What do you mean unknown? Okur has started every year of his career in Utah, hes one of the best floor spacing bigmen in the game and brings something unique to their lineup, why would they start Milsap and Jefferson together? And about those websites, it depends on their reasoning. Guess Im nitpicking here because Baby Al will play plenty of center.

Mile High Champ
09-07-2010, 11:23 AM
What do you mean unknown? Okur has started every year of his career in Utah, hes one of the best floor spacing bigmen in the game and brings something unique to their lineup, why would they start Milsap and Jefferson together? And about those websites, it depends on their reasoning. Guess Im nitpicking here because Baby Al will play plenty of center.

It is unknown because the season or trainning camp has not even started yet. I have heard nothing from Jerry Sloan in terms of what his starting lineup will be next season. Yes you are right that Okur seems like the logical choice but Millsap could also start next to Jefferson depending on what Sloan wants this year. It is certainly not a given that jefferson is the center and I have seen different sites list Jefferson as both a PF and C. Yahoo Sports just ranked the top 30 centers in the NBA and Jefferson was on the center list. If Jefferson ends up starting at PF, we will move him to that list next year.

Rivera
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
wheres ERIC DAMPIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in all serious its yao...when he IS healthy he competes with dwight for the best C in the league but that is the only problem....he has 2 stay healthy

to bad bogut cant stay healthy or that lopez has only been in the league for 2 seasons just 2 have a debate but i think yao is the obvious choice

Sadds The Gr8
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Bogut. If I knew Yao was 100% healthy and will STAY healthy I'd pick him, but I just don't trust right now until I see him play.

John Walls Era
09-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Should be fun one to discuss. Noah might be a ranked a bit too high.

nikeking711
09-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Bogut

AntiG
09-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Not saying he's #2, but Perkins deserves to be on this list, especially given most of the choices here.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Not saying he's #2, but Perkins deserves to be on this list, especially given most of the choices here.

nvermnd i s thought you said davis.

Avenged
09-07-2010, 11:40 AM
This is easily Yao when healthy, definitely would have give Dwight a run for his money if he had put up a healthy season last year.

And for the people not choosing Yao because he's not healthy, just remember Bogut went down with an injury as well ;)

Sly Guy
09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
I went with bogut. But that being said, the fact bogut is #2 overall, says a lot about the state of the 5 position in the NBA

drama1386
09-07-2010, 11:44 AM
this would be my ranking *IF* everyone were 100% healthy:
1. howard
2. yao
3. bogut

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 11:44 AM
how did I know you voted for Marc Gasol Crooner? haha
kidding dude

NYKalltheway
09-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Bogut?

Hellcrooner
09-07-2010, 11:49 AM
how did I know you voted for Marc Gasol Crooner? haha
kidding dude

if you read my first post, you know im kidding too.

Unless suddenly Randolph, mayo and gay do become sister mary and start caring for the game instead of their shots and he starts putting up 20 and 1'0

wich could happen wiht 14 shots a game.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Bogut?

dont ask wy he has become from severely Underated before to slightly overated recently. :confused:

Antipod
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Looking at this list, i realize that there are not many elite centers in the NBA now days :(

PS; Yao, IF fully healthy.

Rivera
09-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Bogut. If I knew Yao was 100% healthy and will STAY healthy I'd pick him, but I just don't trust right now until I see him play.

but bogut isnt 100% healthy himself breaking his elbow or whatever it was

bogut has a history (just like yao but i will admit yaos list is longer) of getting injured as well so ur point doesnt make sense

Corey
09-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Andrew Bogut is the obvious choice for me here.

He's gotten consistently better every year in the league, has become a leader, and can literally do it all on both sides of the ball. Good passer, great rebounder, great post player, great post defender, and runs the floor very well.

I wish we could have seen him in the playoffs last year, it could have been scary.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Looking at this list, i realize that there are not many elite centers in the NBA now days :(

PS; Yao, IF fully healthy.

Is not that uch that there arent elite cencetrs as it is that Nba has moved the q focus to more marketable Sg Ball hogs and false pgs that think shoot ifirst

In the old days with no hand check rules and etc 75% of this lists woudl be the first escoring option on their teams and put up 25 a game.

Lloyd Christmas
09-07-2010, 12:01 PM
I would have voted Yao if I knew he would play again, so I went with Horford. I just really like his game, even if he should be playing PF.

VinceCarter
09-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Crap I forgot bogut.. I will ask the mods to add him.. Sorry.

How do you forget the #2 center (when Yao isn't healthy) in the league?! :laugh2:

But damn Al Jefferson is going to **** up this poll. He's a PF. :facepalm:

xbrackattackx
09-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I said bynum kid is good when healthy just like yao and bogut.

Niro
09-07-2010, 12:34 PM
i take andrew bogut

Chronz
09-07-2010, 12:37 PM
It is unknown because the season or trainning camp has not even started yet. I have heard nothing from Jerry Sloan in terms of what his starting lineup will be next season. Yes you are right that Okur seems like the logical choice but Millsap could also start next to Jefferson depending on what Sloan wants this year. It is certainly not a given that jefferson is the center and I have seen different sites list Jefferson as both a PF and C. Yahoo Sports just ranked the top 30 centers in the NBA and Jefferson was on the center list. If Jefferson ends up starting at PF, we will move him to that list next year.Before we start whats the status on Okur anyways?
Why wouldnt you go with the logical choice instead of the guy you think has a slim shot of starting next to him. If Milsap were the starter it would throw everything theyve been trying to accomplish for years off balance, but hey maybe Sloan wants a change of pace after 2 decades and counting. Only way they dont start Okur is if hes hurt or they want to make AK47 the backup 4 and plan to play him with Okur in the 2nd unit. But that means they have 3 non-shooters around Deron in the starting line( whos his 2?) Yea I dont think so bro, they will optimize Okurs shooting because hes the only one who can bring that dynamic in a system that feeds off spacing.

By Yahoo sports do you mean Kelly Dwyer?

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Before we start whats the status on Okur anyways?
Why wouldnt you go with the logical choice instead of the guy you think has a slim shot of starting next to him. If Milsap were the starter it would throw everything theyve been trying to accomplish for years off balance, but hey maybe Sloan wants a change of pace after 2 decades and counting. Only way they dont start Okur is if hes hurt or they want to make AK47 the backup 4 and plan to play him with Okur in the 2nd unit. But that means they have 3 non-shooters around Deron in the starting line( whos his 2?) Yea I dont think so bro, they will optimize Okurs shooting because hes the only one who can bring that dynamic in a system that feeds off spacing.

Al is listed as a center because the drones in the media see he has played a lot of center the past three seasons. So they list him there instead of factoring in his new team. Okur, unless injured, will be their starting center

Chronz
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
if you read my first post, you know im kidding too.

Unless suddenly Randolph, mayo and gay do become sister mary and start caring for the game instead of their shots and he starts putting up 20 and 1'0

wich could happen wiht 14 shots a game.

Dude seriously stop with this nonsense. You say it all the time yet never defend it.Gasol isnt going to maintain his effectiveness taking on more responsibility. Yes he can handle more of the load I get that but you really need to stop mentioning Z-Bo. Tell us why should Z-Bo make way for Gasol when hes already averaging those 20-10. I would understand your point if this was Z-Bo of years past but hes been mega efficient in getting his.

Gay and Mayo could work on toning it down but in many respects they have, they chuck bad shots but they arent without a quality balanced attack. And Mark will get a bigger role this year so we'll see what he can do.

Chronz
09-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Al is listed as a center because the drones in the media see he has played a lot of center the past three seasons. So they list him there instead of factoring in his new team. Okur, unless injured, will be their starting center
Yea but even the Twolves were trying to refrain from playing him there. As soon as they got Darko he started and I do remember some other stiff starting there. If they base it on Minutes played at a certain position so be it but it seems illogical. I dont care what you list Duncan at, I KNOW hes been a Center most of his career.

Evolution23
09-07-2010, 12:57 PM
If Yao Ming was healthy I would go with him but since he isn't i voted Andrew Bogut

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Yea but even the Twolves were trying to refrain from playing him there. As soon as they got Darko he started and I do remember some other stiff starting there. If they base it on Minutes played at a certain position so be it but it seems illogical. I dont care what you list Duncan at, I KNOW hes been a Center most of his career.

Ryan
freakin
Hollins

and yes, Duncan was a center for the majority of his career.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 12:59 PM
aren't we all assuming Yao will be healthy entering the season? Did we not JUST have a thread less than a month ago stating his foot was healed?
I voted Yao, I think most forget how good he really is. Even Yao at 90% is better than anyone not named D12

Evolution23
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
aren't we all assuming Yao will be healthy entering the season? Did we not JUST have a thread less than a month ago stating his foot was healed?
I voted Yao, I think most forget how good he really is. Even Yao at 90% is better than anyone not named D12

yao may be healthy for the time being but when is the last time yao played a healthy season and playoffs?

unwantedplayer
09-07-2010, 01:06 PM
no kendrick perkins....?

DCSportsIsPain
09-07-2010, 01:06 PM

This. I would even argue Yao at 100% is better than D-12.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 01:07 PM
This. I would even argue Yao at 100% is better than D-12.

I didn't use to think so until I examined Yao's paint protection effect during and after he was hurt. His defense is barely behind Dwights, and his offense takes a dump on Dwight.
But its all about health in that comparison. Dwight is superman, Yao is lois lane

zambo4president
09-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Yao when healthy is head and shoulders above these guys.

AIsixersFK
09-07-2010, 01:11 PM
I picked Yao because of his ability to shoot in the perimeter as well as take it inside as well. Should be a better rebounder considering his height but no other center I think is worthy of the number 2 spot. Bogut is definitely 3 though

AIsixersFK
09-07-2010, 01:13 PM
no kendrick perkins....?

he'll be on the 8-10 polls. Number 2? get real unless i missed your sarcasm and if i did i apologize.

Sadds The Gr8
09-07-2010, 01:20 PM
but bogut isnt 100% healthy himself breaking his elbow or whatever it was

bogut has a history (just like yao but i will admit yaos list is longer) of getting injured as well so ur point doesnt make sense

Yao = 30 years old and has suffered serious foot injuries by JUMPING. Whereas Bogut = 26 years old and suffered a freak injury last year. So my point does make sense.

Rivera
09-07-2010, 01:22 PM
he'll be on the 8-10 polls. Number 2? get real unless i missed your sarcasm and if i did i apologize.

i would have perk in my top 5 or 6

his defense is behind one person n thats dwight hes everything i would want in my center...big tough physicall can rebound block play D has a somewhat decent inside game i dont need my BIG scorin 20ppg (even though it would b nice)

BOSTON617
09-07-2010, 01:23 PM

ya but okafor, nene, shaq and others who are no where as good as perkins are on the poll lol just saying

Khalifa21
09-07-2010, 01:24 PM
It's Yao.

When fit he's the best center in the league in my opinion.

sugarrayray
09-07-2010, 01:52 PM
I think Yao Ming is more talented than Bogut. And I don't think Bogut will ever be able to be as dominant offensively as Yao. But I just don't think Ming is going to come back from this injury well, and Bogut's injury is something that he can bounce back from completely. And he's much younger.

I think Bogut is on the up and up, I think he'll be in his prime in about 2 years. He's good in all aspects of the game. He can score, he's a great rebounder, he's an awesome shot blocker, and he constantly ranks in the top 3 in the NBA in charges drawn year in year out.

To me, any time someone can rank in the top 3 in blocked shots and charges drawn, they are an unbelievable defensive force. Add on the capability to score 15 plus points and 10 plus rebounds, and the ability to pass the ball very well, and I just don't see how he's not the 2nd best center in the league.

Yao's on his way down, Bogut's on his way up.

And I'd say after these 2 the next best is with out a doubt Lopez. He can score, rebound, shoot free throws, and block shots. He's only in his 3rd year too. Imagine Lopez in Bynum's place on the Lakers, the Lakers wouldn't have lost a game last year.

Bynum is way overrated and he's not even in the top 5. No way.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I think Yao Ming is more talented than Bogut. And I don't think Bogut will ever be able to be as dominant offensively as Yao. But I just don't think Ming is going to come back from this injury well, and Bogut's injury is something that he can bounce back from completely. And he's much younger.

I think Bogut is on the up and up, I think he'll be in his prime in about 2 years. He's good in all aspects of the game. He can score, he's a great rebounder, he's an awesome shot blocker, and he constantly ranks in the top 3 in the NBA in charges drawn year in year out.

To me, any time someone can rank in the top 3 in blocked shots and charges drawn, they are an unbelievable defensive force. Add on the capability to score 15 plus points and 10 plus rebounds, and the ability to pass the ball very well, and I just don't see how he's not the 2nd best center in the league.

Yao's on his way down, Bogut's on his way up.

And I'd say after these 2 the next best is with out a doubt Lopez. He can score, rebound, shoot free throws, and block shots. He's only in his 3rd year too. Imagine Lopez in Bynum's place on the Lakers, the Lakers wouldn't have lost a game last year.

Bynum is way overrated and he's not even in the top 5. No way.

I have sort of a man crush on Bogut, I agree he will be an elite center shortly. He will be my vote at #3

I do disagree on the Bynum thing though. The Lakers only ask him to protect the paint. While I would need to see it first to believe it, I think if he were a main weapon, he could be a 20-12 player

Baller1
09-07-2010, 01:55 PM
A heathy Yao is the #1 center in the league in my opinion. So he gets my vote.

td0tsfinest
09-07-2010, 02:08 PM
I went with Bogut. He probably had the best season for a C not named Dwight and was a big reason for the Bucks success.

OGMarkWahlberg
09-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Andrew Bogut all day...cant vote for yao dude didnt even play last season and up until bogut had that nasty injury he was becoming a consistent dominant center, finally livin up to the hype of a #1 pick...if the bucks can take the hawks to 7 games without bogut (and starting Kurt Thomas) wait nd see what they do this year...dnt sleep on cdr or maggette either not 2 mention my man larry sanders

unwantedplayer
09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
ya but okafor, nene, shaq and others who are no where as good as perkins are on the poll lol just saying

exactly why i said no perkins..

REALLYYYYY?
09-07-2010, 03:29 PM
are we supposed to ignore constant injuries when voting?

nycericanguy
09-07-2010, 03:29 PM
This is tough, I voted Bogut. Obviously its Yao if healthy, but what are the chances of Yaop returning to his old self? Probably not too good the way HOU is talking about it. So Bogut wins for me.

Mile High Champ
09-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Before we start whats the status on Okur anyways?

My goodness, You have the desire to argue with everyone don't you. I told you the logic behind my decision and I am sticking by it. I am not the only person or site that sees jefferson as a center. CBS Sports, Fox Sports etc all have jefferson as the starting center on the Jazz.

Fine you made your argument for why Jefferson in your mind is the PF, I could care less, whats done is done. I gurantee I would have people sending me messages and complaining about Jefferson being list as a PF intsead of a center if I had gone that root. Its a lose, lose situation. I know you believe you are always right no matter the circumstances and thats fine but so far you are the only one that has complained about it, deal with it.

Kashmir13579
09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
bogut should've easily won this. i think he would have if he was up there from the start.

p.s. i wonder who's voting for noah lol

RocketPower2010
09-07-2010, 04:41 PM
My goodness, You have the desire to argue with everyone don't you. I told you the logic behind my decision and I am sticking by it. I am not the only person or site that sees jefferson as a center. CBS Sports, Fox Sports etc all have jefferson as the starting center on the Jazz.

Fine you made your argument for why Jefferson in your mind is the PF, I could care less, whats done is done. I gurantee I would have people sending me messages and complaining about Jefferson being list as a PF intsead of a center if I had gone that root. Its a lose, lose situation. I know you believe you are always right no matter the circumstances and thats fine but so far you are the only one that has complained about it, deal with it.

You have a flawed reasoning though. I remember in the PF ranking list you made the following comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Champ
With Splitter being the starting center in San Antonio, Duncan is naturally the PF. Lee is now the starting PF with the warriors next to Biedrins. Jefferson and Horford both started the majority of their games at C last season. Its quite simple when you think about it. - Endquote

Ok so your logic is, Duncan and Lee will play power forward THIS SEASON, therefore they are considered PFs. Whereas Jefferson and Horford played center LAST SEASON, they are considered centers? It's not quite simple. Either talk about last season or this season. Don't bounce around to suit your preference.

And also remember, just because you made this thread and every ranking threads, doesn't make you any better than the rest of us. You are just another dude with a PC. I respect Chronz and his opinions because he can back them up legitimately, while I'm not so hot about yours. Get ur mind together before you criticize others for criticizing you.

Chronz
09-07-2010, 04:46 PM

You told me your logic but havent really given me any sources or explanations. Dont know why your taking offense to me asking questions, its not really an argument until we get to the specifics. First you cited Yahoo sports but didnt provide a link of any kind so I asked you if it was KD. Basically Im just wondering why you didnt go the route of determining the most logical conclusion on your own?

It may be lose lose but thats the problem you take on when creating these threads. Oh well, how about we go back to explaining your stance instead of letting it known that your not thinking up the reasons yourself.

jimbobjarree
09-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Jefferson will most likely start the season at center, and we'll bring Okur off the bench till he's healthy. I dont think that will be until December though. He's been a center the last 3 years so I think its fair to class him as a center. He'll be seen as a PF this time next year though, unless Okur never fully recovers.

Faneik
09-07-2010, 05:11 PM
#2 Bogut
#3 Yao
#4 Brook

John Walls Era
09-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Was Dwight put @ 1 by default?

TheTakeOver24
09-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Its gotta be Bogut, I dont see Yao comin back full strength.

IversonIsKrazy
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
When healthy it's Yao at #1. So I went with Yao for this one, other than him, you have Bogut and Lopez

What?
09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
bogut should've easily won this. i think he would have if he was up there from the start.

p.s. i wonder who's voting for noah lol

haha good one kind of like how I wonder who the 20 people who voted for Amare as #1 pf http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=31669

Hey is that your name under Amare stoudemire:facepalm:

Or even worse was when 9 people thought Gallo was #7 sf ahead of Andre Iguadala

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=31579

There you are again :speechless:

Or 1 of the 6 people who had Raymond Felton as a top 10 pg

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=31301

Oh wait that was you again:speechless::speechless:

Jewelz0376
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Yao is arguably the best center in the league when healthy so I def have to go with Yao #2... Bogut is a nice big, but still not good enough to build a team around...

Brew Crew
09-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Yao is arguably the best center in the league when healthy so I def have to go with Yao #2... Bogut is a nice big, but still not good enough to build a team around...

Yet the Bucks are essentially built around him and Jennings:confused:

BigEasy1323
09-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Toughest grouping of all the positions. Injuries could change things by midway through the season, but hard to vote against Yao if he is healthy

mynameismo
09-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Tough call since most of these guys are always injured. So I based it on last season's performance.

Andrew Bogut.

llemon
09-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Yet the Bucks are essentially built around him and Jennings:confused:

Damn, they certainly aded some offensive power to Jennings and Bogut

beasted86
09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Is China voting in this poll? How is Yao Ming leading?

Voting for Yao Ming as a top 10 Center is the same thing as voting for Michael Redd or Tracy McGrady in top 10 SG rankings.

RocketPower2010
09-07-2010, 06:55 PM

Voting for Yao Ming as a top 10 Center is the same thing as voting for Michael Redd or Tracy McGrady in top 10 SG rankings.

You mean that voting for Yao Ming is wrong because he is unproven to come bak from injury? the same thing as voting for something ELSE that's unproven?

hint, that something else is a Heat team thats YET to play ONE game. Oops.

Mile High Champ
09-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Jefferson will most likely start the season at center, and we'll bring Okur off the bench till he's healthy. I dont think that will be until December though. He's been a center the last 3 years so I think its fair to class him as a center. He'll be seen as a PF this time next year though, unless Okur never fully recovers.

Finally someone in the loop. I would love for chronz and rocket to read this.

Jets012
09-07-2010, 07:00 PM
lopez he doesnt get injured like the rest

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 07:03 PM

his foot was cleared as fully healed a month ago. That is why he is #2.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 07:04 PM

in Chronz's defense, nobody is really familiar with Okur's situation, which he even asked about.
You should know better not to mess with Chronz, you have been here long enough

RocketPower2010
09-07-2010, 07:06 PM

I read it. I agree. I don't find your reasoning with Jefferson particularly to be of fault. Care to quote what I wrote and comment on that instead of quoting random poster's arguments to back your reasoning?

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 07:09 PM
can Jefferson play center and be efficient? Yes. Do you want him guarding opposing centers for 82 games? Nope. Jefferson will shift to PF if Okur is healthy. In MHC's defense, Jefferson played a ton of center over the past three years, many sites have him listed as a C, he is basically like Duncan. He plays both. Who gives a crap where he is listed?

Klivlend
09-07-2010, 07:19 PM
wtf? How did Andrew Bogut not make the list last year?!

VinceCarter
09-07-2010, 08:04 PM

:clap::clap::worthy:

Thank you!

I'm sorry but Mile High if you are going to be making these polls I really think you should put some thought into it. Something as simple as Al Jefferson will NOT be the a center for the Jazz (at least not a starting center) should not be mistakened.

NOW the whole PF and C rankings are all messed up. :cry::sigh:

VinceCarter
09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
wtf? How did Andrew Bogut not make the list last year?!

How do a lot of these guys get overrated? :shrug:

It's PSD....anything can happen.

beasted86
09-07-2010, 08:17 PM
You mean that voting for Yao Ming is wrong because he is unproven to come bak from injury? the same thing as voting for something ELSE that's unproven?

hint, that something else is a Heat team thats YET to play ONE game. Oops.

Don't know what you are talking about. It doesn't take Einstein to figure out the Heat will be one of the best teams in the NBA. The '04 Lakers had poor chemistry and many injuries and still put out 56 wins and the 4th best record in the NBA. It's not foolish to declare it's impossible for a Wade, LeBron, and Bosh led team to be a bad team.

On the other hand, there is a very very strong likelihood Yao's timing and conditioning and very poor and he's not even close to the 2nd best Center in the NBA.

BigEasy1323
09-07-2010, 08:20 PM

You could use that reasoning for a good number of the big men in this group

samevans7
09-07-2010, 08:20 PM
you forgot Perk on the list.... #2 defensive center, behind dwight

beasted86
09-07-2010, 08:26 PM
You could use that reasoning for a good number of the big men in this group

No, I think the similarity between those 3 players I mentioned is neither of them has played more than 25 games last season, and were a shadow of themselves from what we saw.

No guy can come back from taking a whole season off and just jump right into basketball activity and be the 2nd best Center in the NBA. It's just not possible.

Neither will the coach, his teammates, or Yao himself put that type of burden on his game coming off such a long layoff. He won't get the minutes or shot attempts to prove himself as the #2 Center in the NBA anytime soon.

Jeff559
09-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Yao for sure...Yao at 75% of his former self is better then anyone on that list. I expect at least that much from him

97NYer
09-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Yao and then Bogut.

Chronz
09-07-2010, 08:37 PM
What do you mean? My entire post revolved around Okurs availability, he said nothing we didnt already agree with.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
you forgot Perk on the list.... #2 defensive center, behind dwight

and #40 offensively, behind half the team's benches. Obviously a guess, but Perk is so horrendous on offense, he doesn't belong in the conversation for top 10

kswissdaf
09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I hate when people say yao when healthy the fact is he isn't healthy

masalex1205
09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Give me Bogut. He blew me away last year w/ his improvement. Yao hasn't played in how long?

stealth33
09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
The only possible argument that this is not Yao is health. I believe he's cleared and expected to play so you gotta go Yao.

vash9
09-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Yao Ming if Healthy, then Bogut, then Horford/Lopez.

netsgiantsyanks
09-07-2010, 08:58 PM
i picked lopez. it was kind of a homer pick. but why pick yao ming??? hes coming off a injury that had him miss the whole season so lets see how he does the first 20 games or so and then see if he is a top 2 center in the nba.

Verbal Christ
09-07-2010, 09:07 PM
^^ :crazy: why?? career 20/10 guy dude and he will regain form this year, research his injury, you probably wont because just like every other poster on this site you know it all without ever being wrong.

still1ballin
09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
The poll for best center in the NBA is truly the best. I can see Bargs going at #3 best center in the league

Hustlenomics
09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
c'mon you all know now that Yao when healthy he's a top 2 center in the league

arkanian215
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Whoever comes in second in this poll should be #3.

KB24PG16
09-07-2010, 10:07 PM
no kwame brown?

Testaverde16
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
should be bogut or horford, but my vote went to the underrated marc gasol

Avenged
09-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Come on guys, just vote and move on.

On another note, Bogut has made a comeback in this poll.

We're all assuming they're both healthy, therefor I went with Yao.

Jewelz0376
09-07-2010, 10:42 PM
I just don't understand how its not Yao...hes been declared 100% healthy...there is still almost 2 months til the season starts which is plenty of time to get into shape... Yao is a legit 20+ & 10+ center...Bogut is good but he's not going to get 20+ ppg

Iggz53
09-07-2010, 10:44 PM
When healthy, it's Yao Ming. Close one between him and Bogut though.

blacknell
09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
its a shame wheen the voted best center in the NBA doesn't have any offensive game except the alley-op or a catch n dunk

Avenged
09-07-2010, 10:57 PM
its a shame wheen the voted best center in the NBA doesn't have any offensive game except the alley-op or a catch n dunk

To be fair to all the posters contributing to these polls, he wasn't voted in. He was placed, #1 was skipped.

ALL_i-Do_is-Win
09-07-2010, 11:03 PM
when healthy yao no doubt
bogut is nice but yao is the only one who can dethrone dwight as number # 1
his offensive game is way advanced then dwight
but his defensive game is behind but he is not a slacker on defense either

Jewelz0376
09-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Lets not forget that he's the best defensive player in the game... and the best rebounder in the league

beasted86
09-07-2010, 11:51 PM

:facepalm:

John Walls Era
09-08-2010, 12:19 AM
should be bogut or horford, but my vote went to the underrated marc gasol

Horford is not even top 5. Hes good, but he should be playing PF.

John Walls Era
09-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Don't know what you are talking about. It doesn't take Einstein to figure out the Heat will be one of the best teams in the NBA. The '04 Lakers had poor chemistry and many injuries and still put out 56 wins and the 4th best record in the NBA. It's not foolish to declare it's impossible for a Wade, LeBron, and Bosh led team to be a bad team.

On the other hand, there is a very very strong likelihood Yao's timing and conditioning and very poor and he's not even close to the 2nd best Center in the NBA.

You're just guessing. But say Yao comes back, he will probably still be the best offensive C in the league. Everytime he gets injured, he comes back with the same offensive ability. Also this poll isn't to predict next year, its based on opinions of who is currently the 2nd best C.

D-Will4Prez
09-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Andrew Bogut, we have yet to see how Yao does off his injury.

$KnicksAndKobe$
09-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Andrew Bogut, we have yet to see how Yao does off his injury.

Andrew Bogut was also injured, (horrible to watch) so the same can be said about him.

beasted86
09-08-2010, 12:47 AM
You're just guessing. But say Yao comes back, he will probably still be the best offensive C in the league. Everytime he gets injured, he comes back with the same offensive ability. Also this poll isn't to predict next year, its based on opinions of who is currently the 2nd best C.
Being that Yao hasn't played since May 2009, why is he on this 2010 poll at all then?

Yao who will be 30 before the season starts, will not come off a 15 month layoff and come back to dominating. So as I keep saying Yao being healthy has nothing to do with him actually playing well.

Disregarding whether he has ths skill to do it, Houston didn't sign Brad Miller and trade for Jordan Hill and Kevin Martin, and lock back up Luis Scola & Kyle Lowry and these other guys so Yao can go back to playing 33+ minutes a game and trying to carry the offense. It's just not going to happen.... and regarding skill wise, I just don't think he will look anything remotely close to Yao until around February, and that's hoping he doesn't get a sprained ankle or some type of other injury to shortchange his comeback and break his confidence in his body. It's just not going to happen, it never happens that way.

AI4MVP
09-08-2010, 12:50 AM
i still maintain my opinion that andrew bogut is the best and most complete center in the nba

Mile High Champ
09-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Do you guys think I should skip to number 4 and give bogut 3? I am just thinking that to save sometime, we can just advance due to how Yao and Bogut dominated this poll.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Do you guys think I should skip to number 4 and give bogut 3? I am just thinking that to save sometime, we can just advance due to how Yao and Bogut dominated this poll.

we can probably skip it, but I would be interested where all the Yao voters from here go next. I think its obvious Bogut will take #3, but it could be interesting to see by how much. Up to you sir

Mile High Champ
09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
can Jefferson play center and be efficient? Yes. Do you want him guarding opposing centers for 82 games? Nope. Jefferson will shift to PF if Okur is healthy. In MHC's defense, Jefferson played a ton of center over the past three years, many sites have him listed as a C, he is basically like Duncan. He plays both. Who gives a crap where he is listed?

I figure I will address Chronz, Rocket and end everyone in this response..My issue with the whole thing is this. I am doing the best with what I am given. I use sites like CBS sports, Fox Sports, Sporting News, Yahoo Sports, ESPN, SI and NBA.com to gather information on what position a player plays. As I have indicated to some of you already, these sites all offer very different information. Look at these links below.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/team/utah-jazz/71100
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/depth-chart/UTA/utah-jazz
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/rosters/utah-jazz/byLAST_NM.html
http://espn.go.com/nba/teams/depth?team=uth

Fox and CBS show Jefferson as the teams starting center. ESPN shows Jefferson as the staring PF. Sports Illustrated does not have a depth chart but they call Jefferson a F-C. Do people see how there is nothing conclusive about where Jefferson is going to play this season? Based on the fact that Jefferson STARTED most of the games last season as a center, it made that much more sense to classifly him at that position. It comes down to this, There are no givens that Jefferson will be a PF this season. Because of this I reverted him back to the position he has played most of his NBA career.

I do find it amusing that people are so up in arms about a player being classified as a center and not a PF. Some of you are actually angry it seems. I am doing the best I can here, I have done these polls for 3 years and I have enjoyed running them year in and year out. That being said, no one pays me to run them, I don't get anything for doing it, All I get from this is hearing about the discussion of the top 10 lists after they are completed.

At the end of the day is this really worth getting angry about? Its a poll conducted about NBA players on PSD, why all the frurstration?

Hawkeye15
09-08-2010, 09:59 AM
It makes no difference if Jefferson or Duncan are listed at PF or C in my opinion. They have played both for long periods of time. If you get up in arms about it, get over it.

Mile High Champ
09-08-2010, 10:02 AM
It makes no difference if Jefferson or Duncan are listed at PF or C in my opinion. They have played both for long periods of time. If you get up in arms about it, get over it.

Thats the thing, it really does make no difference. I will do the best I can to make sure a player is at the very least put at a position that makes the most sense. Thats about all I can do. There are simply more important things in life to get angry about.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2010, 10:08 AM
#3 is up. Thanks for voting