PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Draft Mistake: Atl passing on Deron or CP3 in 2005 or Por passing on Durant

Dr.J>YOU
09-06-2010, 11:05 AM
In 2005 the Hawks had the #2 pick and took Marvin Williams, while letting Deron Williams and CP3 go.
In 2007 the Blazers passed on Durant with the #1 pick and took Oden

Hawkeye15
09-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Atlanta, easily. Oden can still be very, very good if he can stay upright.

29$JerZ
09-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Obviously Atlanta.

Portland already had a wing in Roy and needed an upgrade at C over Pryz.
Atlanta however took Williams when they had no PG's and already had forwards.

Agent008
09-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Obviously Atlanta.

Portland already had a wing in Roy and needed an upgrade at C over Pryz.
Atlanta however took Williams when they had no PG's and already had forwards.

This. Plus, Oden was everybody's #1 pick in the draft, all 30 teams would have done the same thing. Williams was a more surprising pick.

Khalifa21
09-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Atlanta without a doubt.

Oden can still be an extremely good center if he stays healthy and fits that Portland team better than Durant would've. The Hawks were in desperate need of a PG and passed on the top two PG's in the league (now). They took an average NBA started in Marvin Williams who really hasn't fulfilled his potential.

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Maurice Evans
PF: Josh Smith
C: Al Horford

That team would be challenging the Heat, Celtics and Magic in the East.

heattiltheend94
09-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Atlanta. Oden is a good player, but has had poor health. Can't say same for Marvin Williams, and Atlanta missed 2 great players, not one.

Ethix11
09-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Easy. Portland passing on Durant. What has Oden done? At least Marvin Williams is a nice player. Durant is younger and better than all.

Raoul Duke
09-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Darko.

Ragun
09-06-2010, 11:29 AM
ATl passing on deron and paul...either of them would of filled a need.

Rivera
09-06-2010, 11:31 AM
ima go the other way on this

ima say portland and this is why

who is the better player of the group? CP3? Deron? or Durant....ima pick durant

portland has brought in effective bigs throughout the seasons BECAUSE of Odens injury....they have had pryzbilla and Camby

you team up durant with brandon roy and make brandon roy ur #2 option...OMG that would be huge

i know cp3 or deron from the hawks is a huge omission but in all honesty ima ask a question to every1 who picked atlanta do u think ATL would have had a better chance to win a chip with CP3 or deron or portlando with durant??

i dont think ATL would have won a chip cause they lack a true center which portland has had minus oden

potential lineups (cause i dont think some trades would have been made if these 2 were on the teams)

miller vs cp3 or deron
roy vs JJ
Durant vs Josh Smith
Aldridge vs Horford
Camby vs zaza/shaq???? (this is where the whole team woulda changed cause atl woulda probably picked someone up so mayb shaq for a season?????)

97NYer
09-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Bigger draft mistake Atlanta. But it turned otu worse fot POR when you consider they could have the scoring leader and a superstar in Roy.

TO to the CHI
09-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Bigger draft mistake Atlanta. But it turned otu worse fot POR when you consider they could have the scoring leader and a superstar in Roy.

This is a fair statement, but in evaluating it as a draft mistake, you really have to look at the available information at the time. There was a strong consensus that Paul was a better pick than Marvin and many felt the same about Deron. There was at best a split re: Oden/Durant and most GMs probably would have taken Oden. The Oden pick has not worked out well at all, but is completely understandable in context. There is no justification for ATL's decision whatsoever. Just a mistake.

Antipod
09-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Portland. Passed on a future MVP x/

joeboow90
09-06-2010, 11:46 AM
ATL passing on CP3 and Deron, by far. Marvin Williams shouldn't have even been in that draft he was way too raw. He left after his freshman year at UNC chasing the big money but he was definately not ready he should've stayed in college longer and he might have turned into a better player. That was a HORRIBLE decision by atlanta, i cant even imagine how good they would be with CP3....dam.

joeboow90
09-06-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't think you can say that Greg Oden is a bust yet either. The verdict is still out on him because he hasnt been healthy or played a full season. He could still turn into the player that people thought he would be when he was drafted. Marvin Williams on the other hand....everyone knows what you get with him.

Faneik
09-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Oden --> Mutombo
Durant --> McGrady without injuries

I think Portland made the bigger mistake.

Khalifa21
09-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Portland. Passed on a future MVP x/

You could say the Hawks passed on a future MVP... There's nothing ruling out CP3 winning one in the near future.

CP3 has come closer than Durant, coming 2nd in MVP voting in 2008 with 894 points, 206 behind Kobe. KD came 2nd in 2010 with 609 points, 591 behind LeBron, so CP3 has actually come closer to being MVP than Durant.

In my opinion i'd even argue that CP3 is better than Durant when fully fit, hopefully this season he'll prove that bold claim right.

Jets012
09-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Easily Atlanta. Oden if healthy can still develop into a great player while I think Marvin Williams has reached his full potential.

beasted86
09-06-2010, 12:13 PM
You could say the Hawks passed on a future MVP... There's nothing ruling out CP3 winning one in the near future.

CP3 has come closer than Durant, coming 2nd in MVP voting in 2008 with 894 points, 206 behind Kobe. KD came 2nd in 2010 with 609 points, 591 behind LeBron, so CP3 has actually come closer to being MVP than Durant.

In my opinion i'd even argue that CP3 is better than Durant when fully fit, hopefully this season he'll prove that bold claim right.

As crazy as some might call it, I'd rather have Paul also.

Both guys made the playoffs for the first time in their 3rd year... go check out who did a lot more damage. Age isn't much of a factor either Durant is 21, Paul was 22.

Big Quett
09-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Atlanta, easily. Oden can still be very, very good if he can stay upright.

Yeah i argee but that was Joe Johnson's fault. Everybody knows that is the summer he signed (or Traded) to ATL. But he agreed to play pg for them. So they drafted Marvin. But by the middle of the season he didnt want to anymore.

AIsixersFK
09-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Good thread. I voted Atlanta because they NEEDED a pg badly. Two franchise pg's became available and they didn't jump on it. Instead they drafted on potential which hasn't been shown out of Marvin Williams yet and may never show. It usually takes big men 3-4 years to fully develop and Oden missed his entire rookie season and has been plagued by injuries so this is his make or break year for him.

xbrackattackx
09-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Man, I wish ATL would have taken D-will he would have been great next to Bibby, Would have been a great Vet from him to learn from and then take over.

ecorrea
09-06-2010, 12:22 PM
def passin on dwilly or cp3

ecorrea
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
man atl would be nasty with one of those 2

Storch
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Definitely ATL, because it is more logical to choose Oden over Durant than M.Williams over CP3.

Rivera
09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Man, I wish ATL would have taken D-will he would have been great next to Bibby, Would have been a great Vet from him to learn from and then take over.

then they wouldnt of traded for bibby if they drafted deron :confused:

Baller1
09-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Apparently I'm just a homer, but I can't believe so many people are picking Atlanta. I understand Oden still has the chance to make a huge impact, but I see this scenario as Sam Bowie 2.0 on a somewhat lower scale.

It's pretty much been agreed that Durant has the chance to make an insurmountable mark on the game. Now, I understand that Portland didn't need a wing and that grabbing the center was the popular choice; However, the things Durant is already doing as a 21 year old have already surpassed anything Oden will do for Portland in his career (my opinion of course). As sad as it is, Oden is injury-prone and I don't see any reason for the injuries to let up with how young he is and the frame of his body.

I guess perhaps my opinion on this situation is skewed due to my preferences, but I really think Portland will have made the bigger mistake in the end.

JordansBulls
09-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Durant because a Roy/Durant combo could have won multiple titles

barreleffact
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Durant because a Roy/Durant combo could have won multiple titles

could hae but you dont know if they would have won any. miami is together now and LA would still have been a monster. the celtics are legit even still. tere are multiple teams every year with legit chances. in hindsight either would have been a great choice. you cannot say that about marvin williams over atl whose biggest need was a pg.

as far as the durant hype, he is a product of his time. to say omg he was a scoring title in his 3rd season. lebron scored more ppg in his third season and had more total by the same time.

cp3 had more votes and a higher regular season win total the year he got second in mvp. yes durant is a stud, but he is overhyped even if he lives up to the vast majority of it.

the only reason you could even argue oden being the worse pick is that al horford might not have been drafted by atl(most assuredly not) if paul or deron were drafted in 05 by them.

thesparky33
09-07-2010, 03:41 AM
Atlanta passing on Deron and Paul because it was an obvious mistake at the time.

When Portland took Oden over Durant, it was still a pretty split debate on who should have went #1.

DrJ>You
09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Deron

aussie
09-10-2010, 10:22 AM
defs atlanta, but happy they did :)

JordansBulls
09-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Deron

:confused: