PDA

View Full Version : Did Lakers get better or worse?

Forbo
09-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Lakers lost:

Jordan Farmar
D. J. Mbenga
Adam Morrison
Josh Powell

Lakers gained:

Matt Barnes
Steve Blake
Derrick Caracter
Devin Ebanks
Theo Ratliff

Are the Lakers better than last year? You add a year to every player and look at if Andrew Bynum can come back 100 percent this year.

Gators123
09-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Better, They wont miss any of the players they lost.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 08:25 PM
better. They are clearly the class of the west

TheTakeOver24
09-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Better, they've upgraded at their positions of weakness

Kyben36
09-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Personaly, I didnt like the Artest for Ariza move, I would have stuck with Ariza, kept young, and let him develop, Artest is getting old, and Ariza has alot of potential to be a nice 3rd option.

Khalifa21
09-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Steve Blake > Jordan Farmar
Matt Barnes > Adam Morrison
Theo Ratliff > DJ Mbenga
Devin Ebanks & Derrick Caracter > Josh Powell

Yes, they got better.

barreleffact
09-05-2010, 08:32 PM
is this even a serious question. every player they lost was trash. the worst player they signed is better than those they lost. aside from powell. he actually played decently. and mbenga was a great personality

FaM0us Skins
09-05-2010, 08:34 PM
They've gotten better

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Personaly, I didnt like the Artest for Ariza move, I would have stuck with Ariza, kept young, and let him develop, Artest is getting old, and Ariza has alot of potential to be a nice 3rd option.

while I totally agree, Ariza wanted a long deal, and would have hurt the Lakers flexibility to add in a year or so

Forbo
09-05-2010, 08:35 PM
is this even a serious question. every player they lost was trash. the worst player they signed is better than those they lost. aside from powell. he actually played decently. and mbenga was a great personality

No I just want to know what people think, I am just scared how our rookies will pan out. Atleast the others had playoff experience and have been in the league for a while.

nigerianking
09-05-2010, 08:35 PM
pretty pointless thread...no offense

nigerianking
09-05-2010, 08:36 PM
the rookies wont play

_KB24_
09-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Is this a joke? :o

ROY 2 MVP Braun
09-05-2010, 08:41 PM
easy answer they lost the only player in the league better than kobe, adam morrison

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Laker fans, don't crap on the thread please. Answer with your thoughts
I for one think they did indeed get stronger.

_KB24_
09-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Ok, lets not "crap" on this thread Laker fans. :rolleyes:

How can a team possibly get worse when they upgraded every single one of their weaknesses? And if you want to bring Ariza into this, why are we discussing this a year after Artest has joined the squad and helped us win a Game 7 against the Celtics when nothing was going right for us?

mynameismo
09-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Better. And it's not even funny.

MTar786
09-05-2010, 08:53 PM
so did boston.. im so happy sheed retired.. they would have been stacked

nuggetsyankees
09-05-2010, 08:56 PM
better, improved their bench...the matt barnes & steve blake additions alone makes them better

DeZonia
09-05-2010, 08:56 PM
As everyone will agree the Lakers did get better. They kept every starter and their best Bench player Odom, while adding 2 defensive minding players (Theo and Barnes), and added Blake who is a perfect PG for the Triangle Offense. Also Keeping Brown was a huge +. He seems to be getting better and better.

As for getting Artest for Ariza was a GREAT pick up. Artest is already a proven defensive minded player that will do what it takes to shut his guy down. His weak spot was getting the Triangle offense, and I hope over the offseason he fixed that. I liked Ariza but I don't think he was a good as you guys make him out to be. As we saw on the Rockets he started good but then became an average player. The Lakers didn't want to wait 3 or 4 years for Ariza to become his true potential, Kobe and Gasol aren't getting any younger. They wanted to Win it all NOW and they have proved that it was the right choice, and I think it will be for several years!

69centers
09-05-2010, 08:59 PM
so did boston.. im so happy sheed retired.. they would have been stacked

We will keep a seat warm just in case he changes his mind in March.

97NYer
09-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Steve Blake > Jordan Farmar
Matt Barnes > Adam Morrison
Theo Ratliff > DJ Mbenga
Devin Ebanks & Derrick Caracter > Josh Powell

Yes, they got better.

This

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Ok, lets not "crap" on this thread Laker fans. :rolleyes:

How can a team possibly get worse when they upgraded every single one of their weaknesses? And if you want to bring Ariza into this, why are we discussing this a year after Artest has joined the squad and helped us win a Game 7 against the Celtics when nothing was going right for us?

this is what I mean. Tell us why, which you did, and don't laugh at an honest question

IAmKira
09-05-2010, 09:16 PM
wat kind of stupid question is this?

MrfadeawayJB
09-05-2010, 09:21 PM
I didnt think it was possible but they got better

x_notorious
09-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Well, it's a moot point now considering the Lakers won a championship with him. While Ariza may be younger and could develop into a nice player one day, he wouldn't have come close to the type of defense Artest played on Durant and Pierce in the playoffs. Artest also hit that clutch 3 in game 7 that basically sealed the deal.

Kevin Durant in the 1st round: 35% FG, 28% from 3, 3.7 TO per game
Paul Pierce in the Finals: 43 FG%, 18/5/3. 2008 Finals he averaged 21/6/4.5

As for the thread topic, I think they certainly did get better. Steve Blake is a better fit in the triangle than Farmar. Brown, Fisher and PJ were all re-signed and the addition of Barnes gives them another wing defender alongside Kobe and Artest. The draft was excellent (through SL, at least) and Ratliff is still a capable shot blocker off the bench.

Giants-49ers-Ws
09-05-2010, 09:29 PM
better..i could still see them making a move for a backup big mid season as well as a scoring swingman off the bench

The Final Boss
09-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Lakers.

Chacarron
09-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Bench was improved a lot.

NBAfan4life
09-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, it's a moot point now considering the Lakers won a championship with him. While Ariza may be younger and could develop into a nice player one day, he wouldn't have come close to the type of defense Artest played on Durant and Pierce in the playoffs. Artest also hit that clutch 3 in game 7 that basically sealed the deal.

Kevin Durant in the 1st round: 35% FG, 28% from 3, 3.7 TO per game
Paul Pierce in the Finals: 43 FG%, 18/5/3. 2008 Finals he averaged 21/6/4.5

As for the thread topic, I think they certainly did get better. Steve Blake is a better fit in the triangle than Farmar. Brown, Fisher and PJ were all re-signed and the addition of Barnes gives them another wing defender alongside Kobe and Artest. The draft was excellent (through SL, at least) and Ratliff is still a capable shot blocker off the bench.

THIS^^^

It is quite possible that the Lakers never make it out of the first round without Artest's D on Durant.

I believe they got better. I liked Farmar but was way to inconsistent.

Tony_Starks
09-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Better but there's still room for improvement. As good as the rookies are Phil is notorious for not playing them so I don't even count them. Barnes will help but Blake's D is pretty suspect. Farmar and Shannon in the backcourt had a nice lil pressure defense thing going off the bench. Ratliff is on his last leg.

They're better but not by a landslide.

Tmath
09-05-2010, 10:44 PM
I like Farmar over Blake but other then that they got stronger.

BlazingJ
09-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Yes they got better... they will probably three peat again.. I hate saying this as a blazer fan. After Phil retires though they won't win again until they rip some team off for their superstar to replace kobe. I'm thinking Melo or Durant

still1ballin
09-05-2010, 11:00 PM
yes

GoBullsGo
09-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Definetly better. They got those two highly discussed rookies, Blake is a better suited player for the triangle than Farmar, and I think better in general. Ratliff is an upgrade over Mbenga, and losing Powell shouldn't hurt at all with Bynum playing more.

Avenged
09-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm with the majority here, without getting to into detail, the Lakers are flat out better compared to last season. Now if only Bynum can stay healthy for a full season + postseason, the Lakers suddenly get even better than they already are.

dodie53
09-05-2010, 11:36 PM
they got better

cowboyz180
09-05-2010, 11:50 PM
better or at worst the same

goose15
09-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Steve Blake makes them better

Storch
09-05-2010, 11:54 PM
The Lakers got better and this isn't even worth discussing because the argument is so one-sided.

The thread should have broadened it's spectrum towards the entire NBA instead, so that it can belong in this forum.

shep33
09-06-2010, 12:00 AM
They should be much better. LA had arguably one of the worst and most inconsistent bench mob last season. They didn't gel, and outside of Odom nobody had really proven much.

Honestly though, that is going to be the sickest perimeter defensive team in the league. Blake, Kobe, Barnes, Artest. I think LA and Boston are so far ahead of teams defensively that its kinda unfair haha.

SA5195
09-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Better.

King Of Kings
09-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Way better

ccg34
09-06-2010, 12:18 AM
The Lakers would get a lot better if they release Vujacic. He is garbage. He thinks he is the man just because he has great teammates.

blastmasta26
09-06-2010, 12:30 AM
They really upgraded their bench, Blake and Barnes really make them better.

HakeemTheDream
09-06-2010, 12:34 AM
The added bench doesn't make a big difference come playoff time, the biggest improvement will come from Bynum's health and self improvement but that will be offset by my prediction that Kobe will significantly decline this season -- most athletic players do at this age.

NPH
09-06-2010, 12:40 AM
They got alot better. Their bench was clearly their weakness and they now have made it solid.

shep33
09-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Blake played big minutes for the clips last year, and has started for a while with the Blazers... he started 38 games last year for both teams. Barnes too started for most of the year for the Magic, including the playoffs, and Orlando was 2 games from the Finals. So basically they've added 2 starter caliber players to their bench for next season. On top of that Ratliff is a defensive big who can back up Bynum, plus 2 rookies who are considered to be steals.

Fireworld
09-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Lakers forum please.

xBLAMEITON24x
09-06-2010, 01:29 AM
yes...

xbrackattackx
09-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Better Indeed.

Mattb7
09-06-2010, 01:53 AM
They definitely got better other than farmer powell, morrison, mbenga barely got any playing time. The Defense is so much better now LA just added to make the team even stronger. But on a side note i'm tired of all these fake LA fans hoping on the wagon because they are on top. GO BE HEAT FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KidCudi29
09-06-2010, 02:03 AM
better, better, better, i think they win it all again

k24springs
09-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Im not a Laker fan but, there's no question that they got better. Trust me they wont miss any of those scrubs. Barnes and Blake were really good pick-ups. Just wondering did they keep Shannon Brown.

DeZonia
09-06-2010, 02:44 AM
Im not a Laker fan but, there's no question that they got better. Trust me they wont miss any of those scrubs. Barnes and Blake were really good pick-ups. Just wondering did they keep Shannon Brown.

Yep, Brown is back!

Baller1
09-06-2010, 02:47 AM
I don't see how anyone with even a small portion of knowledge of the game can say the Lakers got worse; it's clear that they got better.

iggypop123
09-06-2010, 02:51 AM
they have a bench now. they cemented their position as a grind it out halfcourt team. they wont be running anywhere, but playoff play doesnt go that way. they are built for the playoffs but not for the regular season. consider them the antithesis of the cavaliers of last yr.

Jewelz0376
09-06-2010, 03:00 AM
For real this couldn't honestly be a real question...Nobody could honestly think they got worse...This is like me posting a thread asking...Are the Lakers a contender in the West??

Yea the Lakers got better...They Blake who a a good shooter and a high bball IQ...perfect for the triangle...They added another perimeter defender in Barnes..and resigned Brown... Ratliff won't get many mins but if Bynum or Odom gets injured he's a solid veteran defensive big...

RaiderLakersA's
09-06-2010, 03:11 AM
On paper, better.

But if this team fails to win a title, we all will say they got worse.

And agreed, this belongs in Lakers forum, unless you open the question to the league as a whole.

Tommyh1331
09-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Now that i look at it, they got much deeper, but you will learn that matt barnes is a turnover machine and takes bad shots...he is overated on D, but i love steve blake, a very underrated point guard, theo ratliff can rough up anyone driving the whole a great fill in for Bynum and Gasol, I am a die hard Orlando fan, but these damn Lakers keep getting better every year, I don't care what the Celtics, Heat and Orlando do, it will be pretty much impossible to beat the Lakers in the finals.

P.S. they have the deadliest shooter and the most motivated player in the game KOBE and the best coach in the league too, as long as Kobe stays healthy nobody is beating the lakers for a long time...So Lebron your 8 championships (lmfao) that you guaranteed are very pompous and blinded, I don't believe you really watch other games in the NBA because you would have never made that comment, you might be motivated by the trash talking against you, but the MAMBA has heard what you said and i guarentee you he will stick around long enough to make you look really bad for what you said,

Man what a rant,

abe_froman
09-06-2010, 03:24 AM
someone's fishing for compliments now arent we:rolleyes:

_KB24_
09-06-2010, 03:28 AM
this is what I mean. Tell us why, which you did, and don't laugh at an honest question

How is this possibly an honest question bud? :eyebrow:

Is their any argument against it? I might as well start a thread asking if the Heat are better or worse now. You don't need to go in depth into a yes or no answer which is so blatant. Yes, the Lakers & Heat got better WITHOUT a doubt.

GspLAL
09-06-2010, 03:53 AM

Is their any argument against it? I might as well start a thread asking if the Heat are better or worse now. You don't need to go in depth into a yes or no answer which is so blatant. Yes, the Lakers & Heat got better WITHOUT a doubt.

Who gives a ****? The thread was made, I doubt the OP had bad intentions making the thread so don't **** on it.

Antipod
09-06-2010, 03:54 AM
LAL got better, still don`t see anyone stopping them in the West

LAcowBOMBER
09-06-2010, 04:27 AM
I don't know how this thread reached 5 pages. They lost no one good. Farmar was the best player they lost and he is nowhere near Blake.

SouljahPhil...
09-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Lakers lost:

Jordan Farmar
D. J. Mbenga
Adam Morrison
Josh Powell

Lakers gained:

Matt Barnes
Steve Blake
Derrick Caracter
Devin Ebanks
Theo Ratliff

Are the Lakers better than last year? You add a year to every player and look at if Andrew Bynum can come back 100 percent this year.

isn't it obvious?

SouljahPhil...
09-06-2010, 05:08 AM
The added bench doesn't make a big difference come playoff time, the biggest improvement will come from Bynum's health and self improvement but that will be offset by my prediction that Kobe will significantly decline this season -- most athletic players do at this age.

the 1st part has a bigger chance to happen than the 2nd one..

JasonJohnHorn
09-06-2010, 05:11 AM
Easily got better. Barnes is a huge asset, a great defender and can play multiple positions which will give Phil Jackson more options off the bench. Blake is a solid PG, and will be able to take some minutes off of Fisher's shoulders, and because he is young and still has potential to grow, I can only see him getting better under the tutelage of Jackson and Fisher. And having a great vet defender like Ratliff sitting at the end of your bench to spell guys in foul trouble is never a bad thing.

Easy answer in my book: the got better!

JRisdabest
09-06-2010, 05:30 AM
worst

junion
09-06-2010, 06:45 AM

if a thread like this bugs you, you can easily not click on it. It's a valid thread - even though almost everyone will say they got better - it opens it for discussion on HOW they got better, and possible scenarios... and it's in the NBA forum, so it won't be all bias Laker fans.

I think they got better. But i think one of the main reasons is because they didn't just upgrade bench players, but the fact that they got players without rings... this will keep them hungry.

Knicks21
09-06-2010, 07:00 AM
unless you consider the history of matt barnes + kobe a bad thing. They had a good of season

_KB24_
09-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Who gives a ****? The thread was made, I doubt the OP had bad intentions making the thread so don't **** on it.

No, because I don't like double standards. Like I said in my other post, should I make a thread asking if the Heat got better, knowing that is an infraction on my platter? I just don't see how a thread can be so one-sided and still be up. I'll leave it at that.

stejay
09-06-2010, 08:24 AM
A lot better. We got rid of dead-wood, and brought in fresher, better, players IMO

Hawkeye15
09-06-2010, 10:28 AM

I can't think of an argument against it

If they don't make the finals, then that would be about the only argument I can think of

Forbo
09-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I kind of think Lakers shouldn't of let Farmar go, Steve Blake is clearly better for now but Farmars only 23 years old. Once Fisher was gone we could have let him run the floor as the pg.

Raoul Duke
09-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't know how this thread reached 5 pages. They lost no one good. Farmar was the best player they lost and he is nowhere near Blake.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. They had two weaknesses last season and they addressed both of them. I think they look scary good and scary deep.

Hawkeye15
09-06-2010, 11:16 AM
I think the consensus is that the Lakers improved. We will move on now