PDA

View Full Version : Did Golden State turn down O.J mayo and Thabeetfor Monta Ellis?

spreadeagle
09-05-2010, 07:13 PM
A better way to discuss where the team could have gone actually goes back to a trade offered during the season. The intrepid Marcus Thompson II (who I trust immensely on this) reported that Golden State was offered OJ Mayo and Hasheem Thabeet for Monta Ellis and turned it down. While there absolutely still is time and opportunity for Monta to become the off-guard next to Stephen Curry that he can be, OJ Mayo has a similar chance and has the benefit of being on a rookie contract so the financial commitment is much lower (as it is for Thabeet, because worst case scenario he has two team options for 11-12 and 12-13)

By: Daniel Leroux
******.com Writer

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 07:18 PM
that was the rumor. GS would have been a lot better off, Memphis, eh. Conley is a slight PG, but Ellis may have been a little better with Gay and Randolph, though they all shoot a ton.
Long story short, GS made a mistake if the rumor is true

Ragun
09-05-2010, 07:20 PM
if they did reject that deal, that was just plain stupid on golden state's part...just stupid.

Khalifa21
09-05-2010, 07:25 PM
I remember this... Wow.

If it was true, GS ****ed up hugely.

Gators123
09-05-2010, 07:31 PM
I don't remember hearing anything about this :shrug:

spreadeagle
09-05-2010, 07:33 PM
It would have been a deadly combo of Mayo and Curry..Thabeet as a throw in would have been nice too,I think he can still help an NBA team in the future. Ellis can ball but a lot of people on here seem to think he's overated,he is always injured but he plays too many minutes per game,not his fault

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 07:36 PM
It would have been a deadly combo of Mayo and Curry..Thabeet as a throw in would have been nice too,I think he can still help an NBA team in the future. Ellis can ball but a lot of people on here seem to think he's overated,he is always injured but he plays too many minutes per game,not his fault

Ellis is just not meant to be your feature scorer, and has issues coexisting next to a smallish guard. When he is your 3rd option and doesn't have to guard SG's, he is actually really good. You notice when Davis left, Ellis's efficiency fell waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off
Mayo would be good next to Curry.

Bulls_fan90
09-05-2010, 07:39 PM
But Monta is the GOAT.....

SugeKnight
09-05-2010, 07:40 PM
But Monta is the GOAT.....

:up:

goose15
09-05-2010, 08:04 PM
would have been a sweet trade for GS

NYtilIdie
09-05-2010, 08:11 PM
This s**t is mad old.

fadedmario
09-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Mayo has HUGE potential IMO. He will be an all-star.

Super.
09-05-2010, 09:27 PM
This reeks of fail

Knicks21
09-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Mayo>Ellis
Maybe not now, but in future

Antipod
09-06-2010, 07:24 AM
On the other hand, why would Memphis wanna do such a trade? x/

HouRealCoach
09-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Golden State... smh

tredigs
09-06-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't think Ellis is the right fit for this team any longer, but it would have been a lateral move at best. The salaries were even, and Monta Ellis is a better player than Mayo. Beyond that, Mayo is only two years younger and showed almost no improvement in his game from his rookie year. Thabeet was playing in the D. league at the time and looking to be years away (if ever) from a producer at the NBA level.

I want them to move Ellis, but only for the right pieces. There's a reason why Memphis was trying to push this trade so hard, and there's a reason why the Dubs wouldn't bite. They don't get better with Mayo in place of Ellis.

Hawkeye15
09-06-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't think Ellis is the right fit for this team any longer, but it would have been a lateral move at best. The salaries were even, and Monta Ellis is a better player than Mayo. Beyond that, Mayo is only two years younger and showed almost no improvement in his game from his rookie year. Thabeet was playing in the D. league at the time and looking to be years away (if ever) from a producer at the NBA level.

I want them to move Ellis, but only for the right pieces. There's a reason why Memphis was trying to push this trade so hard, and there's a reason why the Dubs wouldn't bite. They don't get better with Mayo in place of Ellis.

it would be a lateral move, talent wise. But GS would have been better off, Mayo fits next to Curry better.
As for Memphis, Ellis would have been at best the #2 option, so it may have helped him as well.

tredigs
09-06-2010, 10:36 AM
^Size wise, slightly. But it's not as if he's a stellar defender. He's also only guaranteed for 2 years (1 being a team option), with a 7mil+ qualifying offer after that.

I've been pretty unimpressed with Mayo all in all. He's a great shooter, what can he do for a team other than that? Can't beat his man off the dribble, doesn't play good defense, he's a poor rebounder, and he's a me-first player on the court.

Even if it made the W's slightly better in the short term due to giving us a larger backcourt that can't get overpowered so easily, they can get a better offer for Ellis. Very glad they didn't sign off on this deal.

Giantwarrior
09-06-2010, 10:43 AM
The offer was on the table for a year. i dont if its still there, but the Grizz really wants Ellis because he's a local favorite. I dont know if the Grizz has the cap space, now sice they committed all thae money to Gay, we'll see.

I dont know if that trade makes the warriors any better.

Giantwarrior
09-06-2010, 10:48 AM
if you like his game or not, Ellis is a proven player in the league. Mayo is yet to have a break out season and Thabeet is years away. the warriors would get a better deal if they wait. Ellis has a pretty good contract at 11 million a year. its not overblown, but at least he puts up the numbers.

If the Grizz threw in Gasol instead of thabeet. i would make the trade.

Hawkeye15
09-06-2010, 11:05 AM
^Size wise, slightly. But it's not as if he's a stellar defender. He's also only guaranteed for 2 years (1 being a team option), with a 7mil+ qualifying offer after that.

I've been pretty unimpressed with Mayo all in all. He's a great shooter, what can he do for a team other than that? Can't beat his man off the dribble, doesn't play good defense, he's a poor rebounder, and he's a me-first player on the court.

Even if it made the W's slightly better in the short term due to giving us a larger backcourt that can't get overpowered so easily, they can get a better offer for Ellis. Very glad they didn't sign off on this deal.

I am not the biggest fan of Mayo either. And I agree he isn't the long term solution. I simply meant he would help them more currently.
Whats funny is, Mayo was actually better as a rookie. I do think he would prosper next to Curry however.

Giantwarrior
09-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Curry and Monta is a better back court then Curry and Mayo.

Both Monta and Mayo are undersized 2 guards, but Monta's speed allows him to get his own shot.

xbrackattackx
09-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I think that Memphis would have been getting ripped in that trade. Thabeet is just now getting his groove and Mayo is just nasty at times.

THE MTL
09-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I highly doubt this trade....It would be too good for GS especially for them to reject it.

RedRicanoBx
09-06-2010, 04:41 PM
mistake on both sides Oj could of done great in Gs

tredigs
09-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I highly doubt this trade....It would be too good for GS especially for them to reject it.

It was widely reported - and is probably still on the table on Memphis' end (they tried it over last summer, and again pushed hard at the trade deadline). For the reasons I talked about, I'm fine with them not taking this trade (glad, actually). Especially now with Udoh, David Lee, Brandan Wright and Biedrins, there is no space for a project player in Thabeet.

Mayo's not particularly young (23 this coming season) and was probably better as a rookie than last year. His work ethic and overall game leaves a LOT to be desired; the kid just isn't living up to the hype, and I'd rather the Warriors do better than Mayo for Monta.

thekmp211
09-06-2010, 06:22 PM
^ i think that's the point. monta has his problems but still has a ton of potential for growth. the hype around mayo always confused me...he was never a superb athlete or even the most dominant high school player in the country at any time, i don't believe. he was unspectacular in his only year at usc. i guess he had the makings of an nba player from an early age, but he never displayed any elite skills beyond a nice shooting stroke. his summer league point guard experiment was a disaster. considering the suns let undrafted rookie matt janning run some point (he's was a shooting guard in college) and he excelled, that to me says a lot about his interest in improving. thabeet isn't even worth discussing at this point.

the warriors did well to hold on to ellis. i think he can excel with a pg that is definitely above him on the pecking order, and will get him the ball in good places. we know he had success with baron, maybe a team like the jazz would be a solid fit for him. not sure what they would be offering, though.

Hawkeye15
09-06-2010, 07:09 PM
^ i think that's the point. monta has his problems but still has a ton of potential for growth. the hype around mayo always confused me...he was never a superb athlete or even the most dominant high school player in the country at any time, i don't believe. he was unspectacular in his only year at usc. i guess he had the makings of an nba player from an early age, but he never displayed any elite skills beyond a nice shooting stroke. his summer league point guard experiment was a disaster. considering the suns let undrafted rookie matt janning run some point (he's was a shooting guard in college) and he excelled, that to me says a lot about his interest in improving. thabeet isn't even worth discussing at this point.

the warriors did well to hold on to ellis. i think he can excel with a pg that is definitely above him on the pecking order, and will get him the ball in good places. we know he had success with baron, maybe a team like the jazz would be a solid fit for him. not sure what they would be offering, though.

man, great point. Ellis would be perfect next to Deron.

zachattach
09-06-2010, 07:14 PM
I believe this trade involved Golden State making that offer to Memphis. Memphis thought they were giving up to much. But I could be wrong.

caddiemaster
09-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I'd keep monta and wait for a better trade!O.j. mayo aint squat!You can keep him.....once again I'll say it "two guards are a dime a dozen"!

djeller1139
09-06-2010, 07:25 PM
It was widely reported - and is probably still on the table on Memphis' end (they tried it over last summer, and again pushed hard at the trade deadline). For the reasons I talked about, I'm fine with them not taking this trade (glad, actually). Especially now with Udoh, David Lee, Brandan Wright and Biedrins, there is no space for a project player in Thabeet.

Mayo's not particularly young (23 this coming season) and was probably better as a rookie than last year. His work ethic and overall game leaves a LOT to be desired; the kid just isn't living up to the hype, and I'd rather the Warriors do better than Mayo for Monta.

Uh...we could desperately use that defensive stopper/backup center right about now...

Udoh + Thabeet off the bench could be an amazing defensive combination.

Mayo can pretty much offer exactly what Monta does, with less slashing. It was quite dumb of the Warriors to reject this, but that was old management and (hopefully) new management is on the way once new ownership finally takes over.

netsgiantsyanks
09-06-2010, 07:31 PM
golden state ****ed up big time

likemystylez
09-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Mayo isnt as good as ellis, If memphis replaced mayo with rudy gay, then warriors might think about it. All trades the warriors make need to immediatly make the team better.

They have done enough garbage trades (craford deal, maggette deal, jackson deal etc)

Itown in Cali
09-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Wow! It seems very few of you have watched Ellis play. Mayo hasn't proved a damn thing! And Thabeet may never even make it as a backup in this league. "Ellis' numbers went way down after B. Davis left" ...yeah, since he was injured. What were they last year? If GS was any good at all Ellis would have been an All-Star last year. Mayo is all hype that has continued to help him since HS.

By the way... isn't this the Knicks forum or am i in the wrong place? I like GS and all, but I would have gone to their forum if I really wanted to.

Giants-49ers-Ws
09-06-2010, 08:51 PM
monta's a stud, better not trade him

ballpd05
09-07-2010, 10:04 AM

OJ Mayo was supposedly the the next coming when he was in high school. I remember all throughout his career the people in Ohio were saying he was better than Lebron when Lebron was his age. Ill agree that he never lived up to the hype he graduated high school with. Pretty good college player and pretty good nba player.

I think Monta is a volume scorer who can get out of control at times and causes his efficiency to drop. I would like him as a complimentary scorer or a sixth man better. I do think that this trade would make GS better, but I also agree that I am sure someone out there will give up more for Monta than OJ.

MrfadeawayJB
09-07-2010, 11:32 AM
The trade didnt go threw because it would be a rip off for memphis... OJ Mayo is comparable to Monta Ellis in stature and skills. Monta is faster, but OJ is a better shooter and craftier at getting his shot off. Whoever said OJ is a selfish player is full of crap and has not watched a memphis game.

OJ is considered a fan favorite in memphis because of his calm demeanor and winning attitude. He could average over 20 points a game easily but he is often first to defer scoring when it means we can win.

Monta Ellis has bloated stats anyways playing the run 'n gun style. If OJ was in that style i guarentee he could average whatever Monta averages and be way more efficient.

COOLbeans
09-07-2010, 11:45 AM
The trade didnt go threw because it would be a rip off for memphis... OJ Mayo is comparable to Monta Ellis in stature and skills. Monta is faster, but OJ is a better shooter and craftier at getting his shot off. Whoever said OJ is a selfish player is full of crap and has not watched a memphis game.

OJ is considered a fan favorite in memphis because of his calm demeanor and winning attitude. He could average over 20 points a game easily but he is often first to defer scoring when it means we can win.

Monta Ellis has bloated stats anyways playing the run 'n gun style. If OJ was in that style i guarentee he could average whatever Monta averages and be way more efficient.

:facepalm: to Oj is a better shooter and craftier at getting his shot off.

I know you're a Grizzlies fan, but Monta is a GREAT mid-range shooter and a very competent 3 point shooter!

Lloyd Christmas
09-07-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure who offered the trade exactly, but wouldn't this be some proof that Monta is not viewed in the league as just an "ineffeiciant chucker?" Everyone is saying GS would have ripped off Memphis in that trade, but it has to say something that a GM thought Monta was valuable enough to offer that package and another GM thought Monta was valuable enough to turn the trade down. I am not a complete Monta backer by any means, but he gets a really bad rap here on PSD.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2010, 12:23 PM
:facepalm: to Oj is a better shooter and craftier at getting his shot off.

I know you're a Grizzlies fan, but Monta is a GREAT mid-range shooter and a very competent 3 point shooter!

eh, hate to chime in here. Over the last two years, here are their comparables shooting

From 10-15 feet
Ellis shot 26% (08-09), 38% (09-10)
Mayo shot 42% (0809), 40% (09-10)

From 16-23 feet
Ellis shot 36% (08-09), 37% (09-10)
Mayo shot 45% (08-09), 40% (09-10)

From Three
Ellis shot 31% (08-09), 34% (09-10)
Mayo shot 38% both years

Mayo has been a better shooter since he came into the league than Ellis has from everywhere. They are fairly similar really. Ellis's PER is a bit higher due to him being more of a chucker, and he is a better facilitator than Mayo right now
The only thing that sticks out to me, is Mayo has not proven he can be a really good SG in the NBA. Ellis has, he just needs to get back to that role as a 2-3rd option with a big PG next to him imo.

PatelJ1010
09-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Dude their are lots of Negatives (-) abt OJ Mayo that makes Monta Ellis way better...1st OJ Mayo is a terrible defender against other SG, he has not quick 1st step compared to Monta or Curry, and (Is still somewhat undersized to play off the ball His first step is lacking in explosiveness and he does not have the greatest ability to turn the corner, as a result he rarely blows by defenders and is forced into shooting tough and contested shots too often While he was able to convert on challenged shots in college, those shots will be that much tougher at the next level Because he is forced to finish in a crowd every time he goes to the hoop, he seems to settle for the outside shot because it is less demanding on his body Goes through shooting slumps too frequently He has decent court vision, but lacks a floor general's mentality, he strictly looks to create for himself and only gives the ball up as a last resort His somewhat selfish approach causes him to force the issue too much, and as he gets into trouble by over-dribbling and completely stagnating the offense Averaged more turnovers (3.5) than assists (3.3) Allegations of receiving illegal benefits from his agent bring back old questions about his character)...Thabeet would be a nice Center but he is still in Project mode and has no offensive skills whatsoever...(Man that height is nice tho 7'2)

PatelJ1010
09-07-2010, 12:32 PM
PS: the offer is still on the table until Monta Ellis does another ******** Moped accident and blames it on pickup basketball gm

Ace33Bone
09-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Thabeet is irrelevant because at the end of the day the jury is out on him and he is going to be a NBDL back up C in a few years

so that makes this strictly about Ellis for Mayo

IMO I don't think that this trade would've helped either team to a great extent. I do not think that Mayo + Curry in the backcourt wouldve been a match made in heaven

and Ellis wouldve ran into problems in Memphis because he would've taken too many shots to co-exist with Gay and Randolph

kozelkid
09-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Mayo has HUGE potential IMO. He will be an all-star.

Allstar maybe, but nothing about his game suggests huge potential. I can maybe see him be a Chauncey Billups type player. In fact, I've been hoping they would eventually move him to pg.
Regardless, GSW is ******** for rejecting this trade if true.

iFYouSeekAmy
09-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Thabeet is irrelevant because at the end of the day the jury is out on him and he is going to be a NBDL back up C in a few years

so that makes this strictly about Ellis for Mayo

IMO I don't think that this trade would've helped either team to a great extent. I do not think that Mayo + Curry in the backcourt wouldve been a match made in heaven

and Ellis wouldve ran into problems in Memphis because he would've taken too many shots to co-exist with Gay and Randolph

He would realize his role in Memphis would not be the 1st option on offense; it'd be Rudy Gay. He'll most likely be the 2nd option or 3rd- which is his role. Only problem would be playing with Conley, who is much smaller, and not Baron Davis in any way.

iFYouSeekAmy
09-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Dude their are lots of Negatives (-) abt OJ Mayo that makes Monta Ellis way better...1st OJ Mayo is a terrible defender against other SG, he has not quick 1st step compared to Monta or Curry, and (Is still somewhat undersized to play off the ball His first step is lacking in explosiveness and he does not have the greatest ability to turn the corner, as a result he rarely blows by defenders and is forced into shooting tough and contested shots too often While he was able to convert on challenged shots in college, those shots will be that much tougher at the next level Because he is forced to finish in a crowd every time he goes to the hoop, he seems to settle for the outside shot because it is less demanding on his body Goes through shooting slumps too frequently He has decent court vision, but lacks a floor general's mentality, he strictly looks to create for himself and only gives the ball up as a last resort His somewhat selfish approach causes him to force the issue too much, and as he gets into trouble by over-dribbling and completely stagnating the offense Averaged more turnovers (3.5) than assists (3.3) Allegations of receiving illegal benefits from his agent bring back old questions about his character)...Thabeet would be a nice Center but he is still in Project mode and has no offensive skills whatsoever...(Man that height is nice tho 7'2)

As much as I appreciate the punctuations and caps and all- it was a pain to read. I never past half-way.

djeller1139
09-08-2010, 12:44 AM
PS: the offer is still on the table until Monta Ellis does another ******** Moped accident and blames it on pickup basketball gm

:confused: We don't know that...