70's - Dr J
80's - Bird
90's - Jordan
00's - Duncan

Bird over Magic?

Dr.J>YOU
09-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Bird over Magic?

He was considered the best of the decade by far until 1988. It wasn't until 1990 and 1991 that Magic over took Bird.

kobe24>lebron23
09-05-2010, 05:28 PM
He was considered the best of the decade by far until 1988. It wasn't until 1990 and 1991 that Magic over took Bird.

Dude your trippin and duncan over Kobe?? More rings more points assists gold medal wow ur delusional Duncan has a case for second best in the 2000's but Kobe takes the cake for first!!!!

Dr.J>YOU
09-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Dude your trippin and duncan over Kobe?? More rings more points assists gold medal wow ur delusional Duncan has a case for second best in the 2000's but Kobe takes the cake for first!!!!

Duncan has more season mvp's and finals mvp's. Not to mention he didn't miss the playoffs either.

xbrackattackx
09-05-2010, 05:50 PM
50's - Mikan
60's - Chamberlin
70's - Dr J
80's - Bird
90's - Jordan
00's - Kobe

Khalifa21
09-05-2010, 06:12 PM
50's - Mikan
60's - Russell
70's - Kareem
80's - Magic
90's - Jordan
00's - Duncan

abe_froman
09-05-2010, 06:13 PM
50's - Mikan
60's - Russell
70's - Kareem
80's - Magic
90's - Jordan
00's - Duncan

this!

jackdawson
09-05-2010, 07:29 PM
50's - Mikan
60's - Russell/Wilt.
70's - Kareem
80's - Magic/Bird
90's - Jordan
00's - Duncan/Shaq

Enemey
09-05-2010, 09:14 PM
People are overrating Bill Russell , You guys put him as the player of the decade for 60's because he won 11 Championships with the celtics, the man had 4 of the 50 greatest players as his teammates and another 4 hall of famers. Bill russel was a great rebounder and a defenisive player but for a big man he avg 15 ppg while shooting under 45% for his career. Wilt Chamberlin dominated Russell but his team weren't as good as the boston celtics.

IF you guys put Russell over wilt because of championships then why put Larry bird over Magic? Or Duncan over Kobe?

LBJ06
09-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Can i say more rebounds and more efficient scorer? Can I say rings from Shaq? Duncan is arguably the best PF to play the game. I thought Kobe fans say stats don't matter when they compare LeBron and Kobe. I never thought Kobe fans are bringing out the stats when they compare him to other players. :no: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WadeKobe
09-06-2010, 03:28 PM
50's: Mikan
60's: Wilt (and it's not even close)
70's: Kareem
80's: Bird
90's: Jordan
00's: Shaq (and it's not even close)

barreleffact
09-06-2010, 05:49 PM
50's: Mikan
60's: Wilt (and it's not even close)
70's: Kareem
80's: Bird
90's: Jordan
00's: Shaq (and it's not even close)

if thats not close you are a terrible evaluator or you missed much of the decade. shaq statred out impressively but the last 4 years hes been a journeyman and just mediocre. even in 06 he was not stellar.

duncan was the same monster every year and amassed the same number of rings. he never missed the playoffs and was efficient as it comes.

kobe was a monster every year. 7 finals appearances and 5 rings. second to jordan only as far as 2 guards. his track record is impressive to say the least. all nba selections, defensive 1st teams, mvp, finals mvps, olympic gold, everything. the man had a hell of a decade too and still the other two compare to him.

you can even make a very miniscule case for kg. so to say its not close is far from the truth

valade16
09-07-2010, 04:46 AM
People are overrating Bill Russell , You guys put him as the player of the decade for 60's because he won 11 Championships with the celtics, the man had 4 of the 50 greatest players as his teammates and another 4 hall of famers. Bill russel was a great rebounder and a defenisive player but for a big man he avg 15 ppg while shooting under 45% for his career. Wilt Chamberlin dominated Russell but his team weren't as good as the boston celtics.

IF you guys put Russell over wilt because of championships then why put Larry bird over Magic? Or Duncan over Kobe?

Someone will have to either back me up or set me straight on this because I'm not sure but I remember reading somewhere that Russell constantly destroyed Wilt in head to head matchups.

Is this true?

Dr.J>YOU
09-07-2010, 09:48 AM

Wilt never dominated Russell

Afro
09-07-2010, 10:48 AM
50's - Mikan
60's - Russell
70's - Kareem
80's - Bird
90's - MJ
00's - Kobe

Afro
09-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Someone will have to either back me up or set me straight on this because I'm not sure but I remember reading somewhere that Russell constantly destroyed Wilt in head to head matchups.

Is this true?

Bill Simmons definitely says that, devotes an entire chapter to it actually, in his Book of Basketball.

Chronz
09-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I remember this line from Wilts Bio where some analyst felt there were 3 inevitable outcomes from Wilt vs Russ. 1 Wilt outplayed him 2. Russ outplayed him, 3. Wilt ABUSED him.

Enemey
09-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Child Please, Wilt for his career averaged 28ppg and 28 rpg against russell over 140 games. Wilt in the playoffs scored 50 points or more 7 times on russell.... and Russell was a great defender.

WadeKobe
09-07-2010, 03:23 PM
if thats not close you are a terrible evaluator or you missed much of the decade. shaq statred out impressively but the last 4 years hes been a journeyman and just mediocre. even in 06 he was not stellar.

duncan was the same monster every year and amassed the same number of rings. he never missed the playoffs and was efficient as it comes.

kobe was a monster every year. 7 finals appearances and 5 rings. second to jordan only as far as 2 guards. his track record is impressive to say the least. all nba selections, defensive 1st teams, mvp, finals mvps, olympic gold, everything. the man had a hell of a decade too and still the other two compare to him.

you can even make a very miniscule case for kg. so to say its not close is far from the truth

I stand corrected. Thank you.

I was counting Shaq's 98-99 and 99-00 seasons on accident. If those had been in this decade it'd be Shaq by a landslide. Without those two seasons, it does become very close between Shaq and Duncan. You're right.

Kobe on the other hand?? No.

JordansBulls
09-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Child Please, Wilt for his career averaged 28ppg and 28 rpg against russell over 140 games. Wilt in the playoffs scored 50 points or more 7 times on russell.... and Russell was a great defender.

Wilt in the playoffs only had 4 games of 50+ total. The most ever is 8 by MJ

barreleffact
09-07-2010, 09:47 PM

I was counting Shaq's 98-99 and 99-00 seasons on accident. If those had been in this decade it'd be Shaq by a landslide. Without those two seasons, it does become very close between Shaq and Duncan. You're right.

lol about the kobe comment. he's my choice but you could argue against him too. and true about shaq. if it was any ten year stretch among active players it would easily be shaq without any contest imo. but being just the last 10 seasons he fell off steeply in the last 5 years. its sad but at the same time it was expected too.

sasuke_20
09-07-2010, 11:33 PM

who won the PLAYER OF THE DECADE AWARD LAST SEASON??

shaq???? duncan???? hell no!!!

it was KObe..

i guess ur better than those basketball expert and analyst saying that kobe is the player player of the decade and still you insist it was shaq or duncan...

Hates blind you the truth...

u deserve :facepalm:

kozelkid
09-08-2010, 12:11 AM
50s- Mikan
60s- Russell (anyone who picks Wilt over Russell, probably knows little to nothing about 60s basketball. Wilt was the ultimate example of a stat stuffer. One who only won twice to Russell's 11 for a reason. And both played on great teams, so that certainly isn't an excuse).
70s- Kareem
80s- Bird/Magic, too close to call.
90s-MJ
00s-Duncan. Most consistent throughout the decade, and did it 4 times with worse supporting casts than Kobe or Shaq ever had.

kozelkid
09-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Bill Simmons definitely says that, devotes an entire chapter to it actually, in his Book of Basketball.

Yup. That's where I learned all about it. Granted, Simmons is a Celtics homer, but he made a pretty much soundproof argument for why Russell is superior.

WadeKobe
09-08-2010, 01:07 AM
who won the PLAYER OF THE DECADE AWARD LAST SEASON??

shaq???? duncan???? hell no!!!

it was KObe..

i guess ur better than those basketball expert and analyst saying that kobe is the player player of the decade and still you insist it was shaq or duncan...

Hates blind you the truth...

Lol. If you haven't figured out yet that sports-writer awards (MVP, DPOY, ROY etc, etc) are nothing more than popularity contests then I really can't help you.

I could throw out a huge list that proves it, but I'd rather not waste my time. I think recent "experts" have proven their worth by proclaiming that Durant is better than Wade.

If they are your authority...

sasuke_20
09-08-2010, 03:02 AM
Lol. If you haven't figured out yet that sports-writer awards (MVP, DPOY, ROY etc, etc) are nothing more than popularity contests then I really can't help you.

I could throw out a huge list that proves it, but I'd rather not waste my time. I think recent "experts" have proven their worth by proclaiming that Durant is better than Wade.

If they are your authority...

no, but because that is a FACT..sometimes we cannot accept the reality and just be blinded by the hate...grow old..no tome to argue with ur blinded argument...it just show how u hate kobe..

todu82
09-08-2010, 08:55 AM
50's - Mikan
60's - Wilt
70's - Kareem
80's - Magic
90's - Jordan
00's - Duncan

JordansBulls
09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Why arepeople picking Wilt over Russell in the 60's?

What?
09-13-2010, 02:05 AM
50s- Mikan
60s- Russell (anyone who picks Wilt over Russell, probably knows little to nothing about 60s basketball. Wilt was the ultimate example of a stat stuffer. One who only won twice to Russell's 11 for a reason. And both played on great teams, so that certainly isn't an excuse).
70s- Kareem
80s- Bird/Magic, too close to call.
90s-MJ
00s-Duncan. Most consistent throughout the decade, and did it 4 times with worse supporting casts than Kobe or Shaq ever had.
Wilt had a good supporting cast Russel had a fantastic one. Lets not pretend that they were surronded by the same level of talent

For me its
50s-Mikan
60s-Wilt
70s-Kareem
80s-Magic
90s-Jordan
00s-Duncan with Kobe a very close 2nd and Shaq 3rd

Enemey
09-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Wilt had a good supporting cast Russel had a fantastic one. Lets not pretend that they were surronded by the same level of talent

For me its
50s-Mikan
60s-Wilt
70s-Kareem
80s-Magic
90s-Jordan

I know right. Wilt had 2 HOF'ers teammates while Russel HAD EIGHT!!! John Havilick( however you spell his name) was the 6th man of the Bench when Russell was still playing.

If you were to switch Rodman with Russell the Celtics would've still won more then 9+ champions, all they needed was a defensive big man who can block and rebound and thats what Russell did.

I mean c'mon now why did you think the lakers with Jerry west and Elgin Baylor never beat the stacked Celtics team? They had 4 of the 50 greatest players plus 4 Hall of famers.

icej
09-16-2010, 05:21 AM

For me its
50s-Mikan
60s-Wilt
70s-Kareem
80s-Magic
90s-Jordan

^^This!

And yes, popularity aside, DUNCAN is the decades best player. I used to go against SA just because I find their best player in (Duncan) boring to watch. but basketball wise he beat Shaq, and Kobe in the DOMINANCE, EFFECTIVENESS and CONSISTENCY department throughout the 2000 decade.

JordansBulls
09-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Russell beat Wilt without HCA 3x in the 60's.

Vidball
09-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Mikan
Russell
Kareem
Magic
Jordan
Kobe

For all those stating Duncan "facts", in the 00's he won 3 titles, not 4. He was MVP of those 3 titles twice. Kobe has 5 titles and the Lakers knocked out Duncan and the Spurs 5 times in the 00's (Duncan's Spurs only beat the Lakers once). Kobe's 2001 series against the Spurs was one of the best series by anyone this decade. It's Kobe.