PDA

View Full Version : Will Lebron reach Dr.J's Level in Basketball?

Dr.J>YOU
09-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Dr J was considered by many a top 7 player all time. Will Lebron reach that level?

abe_froman
09-05-2010, 03:51 PM
he reminds me of dr.j(both good and the faults)...and no j isnt top 7

jackdawson
09-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Dr J was considered by many a top 7 player all time. Will Lebron reach that level?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Multiple accounts holder? At least I have no doubt. Have fun with the ban.

Khalifa21
09-05-2010, 03:57 PM
I love Dr. J, but i'd say LeBron's already on his level.

I know this is just a fake account created to bait Miami Heat fans as well...

sep11ie
09-05-2010, 03:57 PM
I hope he reaches Magic's level.

eugene
09-05-2010, 04:02 PM
LeBron is not near to Clyde yet...

bigsams50
09-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I think he will eventually surpass him. Depending on the amount of rings he wins in Miami

DCsports
09-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Already passed him

abe_froman
09-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Already passed him

the folly of youth...or ignorance :pity:

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 04:08 PM
LeBron is individually better than Dr. J ever was

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 04:10 PM
in fact, Simmons did an article a while back comparing the two. It was interesting. LeBron is obviously a better facilitator, and has better numbers, but the comparison was interesting

Khalifa21
09-05-2010, 04:14 PM
LeBron is individually better than Dr. J ever was

Exactly. The only thing that you could argue about would be Dr. J's ring, but if we're gonna use that then judge them when they're both retired.

On another note, I hate it when people disregard a current player being better than a NBA legend as "ignorant youth" or whatever. What arguments can you use to prove Dr. J is better other than that one ring? Because he played 30 years ago so should be considered untouchable by today's players...

LeBron, as an individual talent has already surpassed what Dr. J was at his best, and this is coming from a huge Dr. J fan.

But then again, I suppose i'm ignorant because I didn't see Dr. J play live...

King P
09-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I can't agree with him surpassing Dr. J already. Maybe down the road, but not yet.

lowdown32
09-05-2010, 04:28 PM
He will be one of the great top 5 of all time

I have always hated Lebron BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN HE IS NOT STILL THE BEST ALL AROUND PLAYER IN THE GAME TODAY

BigEasy1323
09-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Dr. J put up huge numbers in the ABA/NBA for his first 14 years and his last 2 seasons were very respectable (there is the ring too). My point is both will be in the history books as two of the greatest players so why not wait until LeBron is done to compare. He very well could surpass Dr. J or injuries could derail his career. Just enjoy!

Bruno
09-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Most people would agree LeBron is better than Dr. J, individually. Dr. J had more team success than LBJ has thus far (1 NBA championship, 2 ABA championships). LeBron has two MVPs, Dr. J has one NBA MVP, and three ABA MVPs.

Arguing Dr. J as a top ten player is an uphill battle.

VinceCarter
09-05-2010, 04:38 PM
I don't care how good LeBron is. He should never be considered top 10.....here's why.

Kobe is considered top 10 (or will be) and skill wise he isn't really top 10 but his leadership and heart to win and only win puts him above and beyond.

Now I ask you: Why should LeBron be considered top 10 if he couldn't win a title in Cleveland and basically quit on his team in the Boston series...

Okay maybe he didn't have a legit second option....but he quit on his team and then took the "easy" way out and joined another [most likely] hall of famer in Wade and a perrenial all-star big in Chris Bosh.

LeBron also made a very unprofessional exit from Cleveland leaving his team to wait months wondering if he would definitely leave. All the way until the day of his own 1 hour television "Decision" to just simply tell Cleveland (FINALLY) "I am taking my talents to South Beach" :pity:

Before the 2010 playoffs I would gladly give him a chance to prove his worth as a top 10 player of all time, but what occured from June 2010 to July 2010 was enough to justify him never being able to be considered a top 10 player of all time.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 04:40 PM
I don't care how good LeBron is. He should never be considered top 10.....here's why.

Kobe is considered top 10 (or will be) and skill wise he isn't really top 10 but his leadership and heart to win and only win puts him above and beyond.

Now I ask you: Why should LeBron be considered top 10 if he couldn't win a title in Cleveland and basically quit on his team in the Boston series...

Okay maybe he didn't have a legit second option....but he quit on his team and then took the "easy" way out and joined another [most likely] hall of famer in Wade and a perrenial all-star big in Chris Bosh.

LeBron also made a very unprofessional exit from Cleveland leaving his team to wait months wondering if he would definitely leave. All the way until the day of his own 1 hour television "Decision" to just simply tell Cleveland (FINALLY) "I am taking my talents to South Beach" :pity:

Before the 2010 playoffs I would gladly give him a chance to prove his worth as a top 10 player of all time, but what occured from June 2010 to July 2010 was enough to justify him never being able to be considered a top 10 player of all time.

so anyone who left the team that drafted them can not be in the top 10?
Cmon dude, your rational is flawed. If LeBron wins a ring or two, and is clearly the leader of the Heat, and then sustains his statistical dominance for 4-5 more years, I don't see how he isn't a top 10 player ever.

Khalifa21
09-05-2010, 04:43 PM

So if LeBron leads the Heat to 3-4 titles as the main guy, wins 1-2 more MVP's, win's a 3-4 Finals MVP's and finishes his career with averages along the line of 28/7/7 he won't be considered top 10 all time?

kjoke
09-05-2010, 04:44 PM

ok i see, u say he cant be beacuse of hid 'desicion' , nets fan :pity:

VinceCarter
09-05-2010, 04:45 PM
so anyone who left the team that drafted them can not be in the top 10?
Cmon dude, your rational is flawed. If LeBron wins a ring or two, and is clearly the leader of the Heat, and then sustains his statistical dominance for 4-5 more years, I don't see how he isn't a top 10 player ever.

Did you really just ignore everything I worte? No you must have skimmed it (I guess that is okay).

I said what happened from June to July is what makes him NOT a top 10 player. In a span of a month he quit on his team he was so called loyal to and then left his team in the most unprofessional way we have ever witnessed.

Even if he demanded a trade after being with the team for 7 years that would have been much more repsectable than what he did.

Kevj77
09-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Reading the How did you become a fan thread a couple weeks ago I realized most posters here are under 30. They never even saw Magic and Bird and were really young when MJ played. They just can't compare fairly past legends to people they see play because they are biased. LeBron isn't better then Dr. J yet. After his career is over he probably will be.

Hell I have even seen younger Lakers fans that don't think Magic was even close to as good as Kobe.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Did you really just ignore everything I worte? No you must have skimmed it (I guess that is okay).

I said what happened from June to July is what makes him NOT a top 10 player. In a span of a month he quit on his team he was so called loyal to and then left his team in the most unprofessional way we have ever witnessed.

Even if he demanded a trade after being with the team for 7 years that would have been much more repsectable than what he did.

things a player does off the court has no bearing on how I, or anyone, should rate a player.
How did he quit on his team? He had one horrible game, wow. Kobe has literally taken a few games off out of spite from getting criticized. So?

I honestly could care less how he handeled it this summer. Sure that was over dramatic, and somewhat unclassy. But class isn't what wins.

Fact is, if he wins a couple rings as the best player on the Heat, which is what I expect, and sustains this statistical level of play for the remainder of his current deal, he moves into top 10 pretty easily

CB4AB7VC15
09-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Lebron is much better than Dr J. Top 10 player of all time for sure when its set and done...

RocketPower2010

OMG I have NEVER heard that one before.
It's been almost 3 months, havn't your tears dried up by now? At least say something that hasn't been said for 5 MILLION times.

arosen36
lebrons not an all time great and will never be, just like scottie pippen is not

Hawkeye15
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=jamesle01&y1=2010&p2=ervinju01&y2=1987

statistically, LeBron pretty much has him everywhere.
But most of you don't remember Dr J from watching him. I barely do, I was super young and not really familiar with what I was watching.

The L Train
09-05-2010, 04:51 PM

No.

VinceCarter
09-05-2010, 04:51 PM
ok i see, u say he cant be beacuse of hid 'desicion' , nets fan :pity:

The Nets never had a shot at LeBron. :laugh2:

This is spoken as an NBA fan. Somebody who respects the game and couldn't stand to see an unprofessional quitter be crowned no matter what he accomplishes.

And BTW if he goes on to win championships I think Wade will be the one leading the team (maybe not statistically) to the championships. The Heat is Wade's team. If you disagree you must be a bandwagon Heat fan. Let me give you an example.

The Yankees is Jeter's team not A-Rod's or CC's. And Jeter is not the best statistical player on that team.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 04:55 PM

This is spoken as an NBA fan. Somebody who respects the game and couldn't stand to see an unprofessional quitter be crowned no matter what he accomplishes.

And BTW if he goes on to win championships I think Wade will be the one leading the team (maybe not statistically) to the championships. The Heat is Wade's team. If you disagree you must be a bandwagon Heat fan. Let me give you an example.

The Yankees is Jeter's team not A-Rod's or CC's. And Jeter is not the best statistical player on that team.

Whichever player statistically leads that team is its best player. And I doubt LeBron just sits back and stays quiet in the huddle or locker room. When he is the one winning finals MVPs, you can claim its Wade's team all you want.
Don't reward Wade for Miami having the ability to clear the necessary cap space. if Toronto would have done it, is it Bosh's team?
No

VinceCarter
09-05-2010, 04:56 PM
OMG I have NEVER heard that one before.
It's been almost 3 months, havn't your tears dried up by now? At least say something that hasn't been said for 5 MILLION times.

Real mature.

Some things need to be repeated if the topic is brought up. This is one. Do you think Barry Bonds ever got away from the steroids issue? Nope.

And I added some examples and stuff so it's not exactly the SAME thing you've been hearing. :eyebrow:

Bruno
09-05-2010, 04:59 PM

What he does off the court shouldn't have any sway in how to judge his on court accomplishments. If LeBron continues his statistical dominance and wins as many titles as Duncan and Shaq,- it would be a disgrace to keep him out of the top ten.

VinceCarter
09-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Whichever player statistically leads that team is its best player. And I doubt LeBron just sits back and stays quiet in the huddle or locker room. When he is the one winning finals MVPs, you can claim its Wade's team all you want.
Don't reward Wade for Miami having the ability to clear the necessary cap space. if Toronto would have done it, is it Bosh's team?
No

Yes, it would definitely be Bosh's team.

It's Wade's team because he was drafted to them and has stayed and brought a championship to them. Just like the Jeter example. Just because a newer better player comes along doesn't take that title away.

kjoke
09-05-2010, 05:00 PM

where have i heard this one before :rolleyes:

so ur saying "lebron may be the best on the heat, may be statistically the bset, and may might win multiple champions But his is no way able to be in the top ten?"

hater much?

Bruno
09-05-2010, 05:02 PM
No

I kinda hope that doesn't happen. I think baring injury its clear Wade and LeBrons contribution to the teams success will be equal. I don't want to be nitpicking over close statistics in trying to figure out "whos team it is". It's both their teams, IMO- I think I'm in the minority when I say a team doesn't have to be one specific players team, it can be two, or three.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I kinda hope that doesn't happen. I think baring injury its clear Wade and LeBrons contribution to the teams success will be equal. I don't want to be nitpicking over close statistics in trying to figure out "whos team it is". It's both their teams, IMO- I think I'm in the minority when I say a team doesn't have to be one specific players team, it can be two, or three.

that is the nature of the beast though. people will want to define who the leader was. Like Kobe/Shaq. Just the way it is man

The L Train
09-05-2010, 05:05 PM

You're 100% right, but most people here are going to bash you and call you names and stuff. I'm surprised they didn't hit you with the old 'U Mad?' line yet. They will.

We have never seen a superstar player quit on his team the way Lebron did. Ever. And I'm talking about ON the court, during the playoffs, during the biggest series of his career and his franchises existence.

He got to the biggest moment of his career and gave up. It would be a crime against the gods to compare him to guys like Jordan or Kobe (or Dr J for that matter) who would never have dreamed of quitting like that. It's an absolute embarrassment and it's insulting to real legends who actually put in the work to compare them to Lebron.

Being a legend is about more than accumulating personal stats. It's even about more than rings. Brian Scalabrine has more rings than Karl Malone had. Lebron will never be on the level of the guys we know to be legends.

kjoke
09-05-2010, 05:07 PM
also this 'lebron quit on his team' ****, u never now the truth unless lebron says 'i quit on the team' im not buying it

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Yes, it would definitely be Bosh's team.

It's Wade's team because he was drafted to them and has stayed and brought a championship to them. Just like the Jeter example. Just because a newer better player comes along doesn't take that title away.

so if LeBron came to Minnesota, its Love's team?

I couldn't disagree with you more, on every post you have made. No need to continue this. your reasoning and rational are flawed on this subject, you are being bitter for whatever reason

Hustlenomics
09-05-2010, 05:09 PM
lol @ Lebron nearly getting a triple double meaning he quit, credit the Celtics.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 05:09 PM
You're 100% right, but most people here are going to bash you and call you names and stuff. I'm surprised they didn't hit you with the old 'U Mad?' line yet. They will.

We have never seen a superstar player quit on his team the way Lebron did. Ever. And I'm talking about ON the court, during the playoffs, during the biggest series of his career and his franchises existence.

He got to the biggest moment of his career and gave up. It would be a crime against the gods to compare him to guys like Jordan or Kobe (or Dr J for that matter) who would never have dreamed of quitting like that. It's an absolute embarrassment and it's insulting to real legends who actually put in the work to compare them to Lebron.

Being a legend is about more than accumulating personal stats. It's even about more than rings. Brian Scalabrine has more rings than Karl Malone had. Lebron will never be on the level of the guys we know to be legends.

you apparently missed the various games Kobe refused to shoot cause Phil called him a ballhog.

The L Train
09-05-2010, 05:10 PM
also this 'lebron quit on his team' ****, u never now the truth unless lebron says 'i quit on the team' im not buying it

Too bad you didn't watch the playoffs so you could have had some clue what you're talking about. Clearly Lebron is not going to admit quitting on the team, but if you had watched the series you'd see that doesn't matter.

Bruno
09-05-2010, 05:10 PM
that is the nature of the beast though. people will want to define who the leader was. Like Kobe/Shaq. Just the way it is man

It's just a flawed way of judging a championship teams best players in relationship to each other. IMO. When two players are so equal and are so close statistically how can you make that assertion? I think the dual co-pilot metaphor is a more accurate description than "Batman and Robin" more often than not.

I mean, what happens if The Heat win four championships with Wade winning 2 MVPs and LeBron winning two 2 finals MVPs? In ten years, how would we judge it?

Bruno
09-05-2010, 05:12 PM
lol @ Lebron nearly getting a triple double meaning he quit, credit the Celtics.

Agreed. LeBron looked injured, and the Celtics defense was just too much, as it pretty much always is.

The L Train
09-05-2010, 05:13 PM
you apparently missed the various games Kobe refused to shoot cause Phil called him a ballhog.

Kobe didn't do that during the biggest game in his career. It was a game of little importance against the Suns I believe, and he was still playing defense and getting assists. When Lebron quit, he just quit. Watch the tapes, you'll see Lebron just WALKING lifelessly up and down the court, not playing D, not looking to get open, nothing.

Bad comparison dude.

kjoke
09-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Kobe didn't do that during the biggest game in his career. It was a game of little importance against the Suns I believe, and he was still playing defense and getting assists. When Lebron quit, he just quit. Watch the tapes, you'll see Lebron just WALKING lifelessly up and down the court, not playing D, not looking to get open, nothing.

Bad comparison dude.

lmao, kobe got assist??? because lebron didnt almost average a triple double, also suns d is not the same as boston d

ever playoff game is important, kobe showed his arrogance accept it

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 05:16 PM

Bad comparison dude.

there is no difference man. Taking the night off is taking the night off in professional sports.
I watched the whole game. he didn't look healthy at all, but I am not going to attempt to justify his poor outing. He still killed it in the series.

And as I have said, not liking a player doesn't mean you can't evaluate them fairly, which gets done with LeBron more than anyone on PSD.

The L Train
09-05-2010, 05:19 PM
lmao, kobe got assist??? because lebron didnt almost average a triple double, also suns d is not the same as boston d

ever playoff game is important, kobe showed his arrogance accept it

How can you blame Boston's D for Lebron just walking around? No one else on the Cavs was doing that. I mean, what do you think they did, drugged him?

You honestly should watch the games if you think I'm wrong, he definitely quit and I put that on my life. Anyone other than a Heat fan would admit that.

Hustlenomics
09-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Bad comparison dude.

Kobe refused to play that game and wasn't even attempting to shoot it was obvious he quit because he was getting called out for ballhogging. Lebrons shot was just off (which he needs to work on more) and he was still getting triple doubles in game 6 lebron had 19 REBOUNDS 10 assists and 27 points..how the hell did he quit putting up those stats? players that quit don't go after 19 boards i dont care what you say and he at least attempted 21 shots he was just struggling

MTar786
09-05-2010, 05:28 PM
lebron past dr j like 2 years ago. dr j isnt even top 15 in my eyes

Dr.J>YOU
09-05-2010, 05:34 PM

It happens when you just started watching basketball 2 years ago.

The L Train
09-05-2010, 05:35 PM
there is no difference man. Taking the night off is taking the night off in professional sports.
I watched the whole game. he didn't look healthy at all, but I am not going to attempt to justify his poor outing. He still killed it in the series.

And as I have said, not liking a player doesn't mean you can't evaluate them fairly, which gets done with LeBron more than anyone on PSD.

I did like Lebron, until he quit. That changed everything. I did evaluate him fairly. Anyone who doesn't admit that he gave up isnt being fair.

xbrackattackx
09-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I think it's a close comparison.

abe_froman
09-05-2010, 05:59 PM

dr.j is top 15 def

DeZonia
09-05-2010, 06:01 PM
No

I have liked most of your post on this forum until this thread. You sound like you are on Lebrons Dick. Seriously, You seem to be all about Lebron. Do you really think he will be 28/7/7? I'm pretty sure he won't. It will be interesting who will be handling the ball on the Heat. I personally think it will be Wade, Lebron has much to prove on the Heat. If Wade is the one handling the Ball I'm pretty sure Lebron won't have that many Assist or points. Lebron will go from MVP on the Cavs to Top 5 in the league.
Just like when Kobe was by far the Top player in the league when there was no Gasol, but when Gasol joined the team Kobe's stats all dropped for the good of the team. He went from #1 to some Heat fans believe #3.

bahama0811
09-05-2010, 06:09 PM
This thread is closed. It has turned into nothing but insults and it is completely off topic.