PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs: 3 New Orleans Hornets vs. 6 Houston Rockets

Catfish1314
09-05-2010, 04:06 AM
Every summer, PSD holds an NBA Mock Offseason. Exactly what it sounds like, this game is a mock of the real 2010 offseason which starts off from the date the Lakers won the NBA Championship. Posters on PSD act as the GMs of assigned teams and they make trades, draft players, and sign free agents to try to create the best team. These are the Mock NBA Playoffs.

This first round match-up features the 3rd seeded New Orleans Hornets versus the 6th seeded Houston Rockets. The Hornets have home-court advantage.

Vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series. Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Hornets:

C-Pau Gasol/Fabricio Oberto
PF-Amar’e Stoudemire/Wayne Chism
SF-Ron Artest/Tyler Smith
SG-Mike Miller/Sasha Vujacic/Donald Sloan
PG-Tony Parker/T.J. Ford

Rockets:

C-Yao Ming/Joel Przybilla/Chuck Hayes
PF-Louis Scola/Nick Collison/Jordan Hill
SF-Mickael Pietrus/Chase Budinger/Dante Cunningham
SG-Brandon Roy/Ramon Sessions
PG-Brandon Jennings/Kyle Lowry

Hornets Write-up:

The Rockets are a good team, but I feel we have the better team and will end up winning the series.

Matchups

PG: Tony Parker vs Brandon Jennings
We feel this matchup favors us. Brandon Jennings is a good scorer, but he is a volume scorer. He needs the ball in his hands alot to do that, but with Brandon Roy on the team he wouldnt have it as much as he is accustomed to. Next he has to guard Tony Parker..and well Jennings isnt that good of a defender, and Parker would eat him alive. TP's experience benefits him as well in this matchup. Jennings would get his most likely, but Parker would get his and more. Advantage - Hornets

SG: Mike Miller vs Mikael Pietrus
I feel the advantage goes to Miller here. We definately don't want Miller guarding Roy, so we will stick him on Pietrus. While Pietrus is a solid shooter, thats pretty much all he is, and we fill Miller wont get killed on defense. On the other hand, Pietrus is a solid defender, but Miller is the overall better offensive player and can post, drive and will knock down the 3 and create for other teammates. Miller's spacing on this team is huge, because either teams will pay for leaving him wide open from helping, or pay by giving up easy scores to the other starters if they decide to stay with Miller. - Advantage Hornets

SF: Ron Artest vs Brandon Roy
Roy is undoubtedly the better player in this matchup. While Roy is their SG, we will have Artest going against Roy here. Like I mentioned in the first part of the writeup, Jennings is used to having the ball in his hands. If he is handling it the whole time, Roy will lose some of his touches to score and playmake, which would hurt the team. Not to mention he has one of the best perimeter in the league guarding him, life definately wouldn't be easy. Not sure who he will have guarding Artest, but whoever it is can't take it easy because Artest is still capable of scoring 15 PPG. - Advantage Rockets

PF: Amare Stoudemire vs Luis Scola
Its obvious who the better player is here. Luis Scola is a good player, but there is no way he will be able to contain Amare. While Scola is a good post, we won't be doubling him. Not to mention I could always throw Gasol at him if need be. Amare should have a huge series because they have no one to guard him what so ever. Advantage- Hornets

C: Pau Gasol vs Yao Ming
This one is probably a wash, because both players are so good on offense, and would have a hard time guarding one another, even though personally I think Yao would have a harder time guarding Gasol since Yao has a harder time guarding players who can step out of the paint. Plus who knows if Yao will be the same after missing a whole year, or if he would even be able to make it to the playoffs. I would give Gasol the advantage because of Yao's injury concerns. - Advantage Hornets

Bench: No point in even debating this one, his bench is better then mine. He has the clear advantage there. However in my defense a lot of teams only use a 8 man rotation, so the undrafted rookies on my bench would not get many minutes, therefore not giving my team a whole lot of time to give up leads. The more experienced guys (Ford/Vujacic/Oberto- the latter 2 having championship experience) would get the most minutes, while the other guys would be thrown in just to give the starters a short breather. Plus I don't feel my bench is that terrible in which they would just collapse. Advantage- Rockets

Overall I just feel I have the overall more balanced team and starters, and capable enough bench to end up winning the series.

Rockets Write-up:

Let me emphasize this point first and foremost: YAO MING IS HEALTHY! yao has already been cleared by doctors to play basketball again. and this potential matchup would take place in may/june. With the good amount of big men depth i have (pryzbilla, collison, hayes, hill) Yao's minutes would be closely monitored all throughout the regular season and his health would not be an issue in the post season. Now that we have addressed that, let's look at the matchups:

PG: Tony Parker VS Brandon Jennings
Jennings did really well as the #1 option last year on a bucks team with no consistent help all year (salmons came in at the deadline and bogut went out with injury). He was the source of the offense and other teams keyed in on that. On this team, he is the 3rd option at least, possibly the 4th depending on matchups. He shot about 38% from 3, which play's into our team's offensive game plan. With Roy creating for the team, and Yao drawing double teams, Jennings will get plenty of open looks from 3 and will alot of opportunities to push the tempo on fast breaks. Defensively, tony parker makes his living with his quickness. Jennings is able to negate that to some extent. In a head to head matchups Parker was held to 6 points and 6 assists with 5 turnovers against Jennings. Parker creates for his teammates by beating his man to the hole and drawing the help defender. With jenning's speed, parker wont be able to get into the lane all alone to draw the help.
Overall edge - Slightly to Parker

SG/SF: Brandon Roy/Michael Pietrus VS Ron Artest/Mike Miller
I combined both wing spots because i think we will both do some mixing and matching on the defensive side. I can only image that he will matchup ron artest on brandon roy defensively. It would make sense. 3 years ago. Artest has lost the quickness necessary to contain Roy's bursts to the basket. Roy can create for his teammates with his ability to get to the rim and draw fouls. Artest will have to be careful to not get into early foul trouble versus roy. If he elects to go with miller, roy will destroy him. Pietrus is a good defender with the ability to hit the spot up three and get out and run on the fast break, which what we want him to do for our team. On defense, Roy and Pietrus will switch off on Artest. Both are of the same build, but by rotating them, i hope to avoid tiring one out by forcing him to guard artest. miller will be lurking for the three, so whoever matches up against him will be fine.
Overall Advantage - Roy/Pietrus

PF: Luis Scola VS Amare Stoudemire
This is an interesting matchup. The all around, hustle, underrated guy, or the explosive, all offense guy? Both guys are about the same in terms of rebounding and from the FT line, but there are some pretty big differences. From the month of march on (when scola was the focus of the post offense) he averaged 19.9 PPG on 52% and 9.2 RPG. In the FIBA worl championships, he is averaging 30 PPG on the gold medal favorites. Amare is explosive, but has had the benefit of a top 3/HOF PG for the last 6-7 years. Let's see what he can do without that. Amare is good, but scola has show he has the ability to be just as prolific a scorer and a much better defender (and yes, flopping counts if it draws a charge call, something scola is great at)
Advantage: Slightly Amare

C: Pau Gasol VS Yao Ming
Like i said, it is paramount to remember Yao is healthy. And when healthy, he is without a doubt a top 2 center in the league. Pau is a PF, he's playing out of position at center. Against pretty much anyone outside of Yao or Dwight, i could see Pau pulling it off. But Yao is just too good at center. Pau is a great player, but he's a bad matchup against Yao. Yao's defense against Pau offensive skill set is a good matchup for me. I just don't know if Pau will be able to bang down low with Yao when he takes him into the paint. I personally think this is a win for me, but i can see some people's arguments about why its not. so i'll call it a draw
Advantage: None

Bench: Lowry/Session/Budinger/Collison/Przybilla VS Ford/Vujacic/Smith/Chism/Oberto
I personally feel this is one of, if not, the BEST second units in the mock. Lowry was by all means the best statistical backup PG in the league last year. Don't believe me? Read this article. Ford has been rejected by both Indiana and toronto, teams that weren't exactly set at PG when they rejected them. The cavs recently tried to sign kyle lowry and traded for session in an attempt to challenge williams for the starting spot in clevland. Budinger had a great rookie season and brought athleticism and three point shooting to the rockets last year. Both Przybilla and Collison logged over 20 minutes per game last year for 50 win playoff teams in the west. these guys are solid and know what there roles are and what they need to do to be effective (nearly a 59% FG% for Collison). Mean while, the rest of his bench outside of vujacic is comprised of two rookies and a player in oberto who barely cracked 10 MPG on the wizards last season. The starters can't play forever, and when they benches come into play, my bench will either be able to close a deficit or build a lead.
Advantage: My Bench by a Large Amount

So in the end, i think i match up really well with the Hornets. Where they have their strengths, i have players who counteract them and help negate their advantages.

SugeKnight
09-05-2010, 04:37 AM
I like this matchup for the rockets actually. Hornets have NOBODY on their bench, while the rockets are very deep.

Rockets also have the two best players on the court with yao and roy, plus yao is going against Gasol who should be at PF.

BRoy plays good against ron artest, but the one time artest played against roy, roy scored 32 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 0 turnovers, 9-11 (82%) FG, 1-2 3pt and 13-14 from the FT stripe. If BRoy can get to the line that many times against Artest, Gasol and Bynum, imagine what he can do against Artest, Amare and Gasol. Plus, Artest even said that Roy was the best player in the game.

The only thing holding the rockets back is experience, but i still go Rockets in 6

Antipod
09-05-2010, 04:43 AM
This is a close one ... NOH

goblazers7
09-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Rockets take game 7 in a 7 game series.

NOH's bench is just so weak. TJ and Sasha are nice, but inconsistant at times. Oberto is serviceable, but I'd get scared to put him in against Yao or Scola, which those situations will happen. Yao can take Pau and Luis would have a little trouble with Amare's Athleticism. Scola,Roy,Yao are hell in crunch time playoff games.

Khalifa21
09-05-2010, 06:41 AM
I'd give it to the Rockets. They have a lot more depth than the Hornets and a more balance offense, with a healthy Yao and Roy.

heattiltheend94
09-05-2010, 09:10 AM
tough choice, but went with Hornets. Their frontcourt is too good to deny them the win

KnicksorBust
09-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I really like the job done by both GMs adding a lot of firepower to both teams but I had no idea the Hornets bench was that bad. I went Rockets barely.

Sidenote: Anyone remember Artest calling B-Roy the hardest cover in the league?

astrosmaniac
09-05-2010, 11:17 AM
i appreciate all the love. i didnt notice how weak their bench was until i went to do the matchups

Ragun
09-05-2010, 11:29 AM
hornets. dont know if yao will come back to form and get injured again.

homestarunner93
09-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Rockets win this. Yao is way too physical for Pau, Scola would get his fill on Amar'e, Jennings will score all over TP, and Roy will get his points against Artest as well. The Hornets depth is pathetic as well, so that's just icing on the cake.

Joshtd1
09-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Guess TP wouldnt score on Jennings at all, Miller not get wide open looks, Amare destroy Scola or Gasol still get his on Yao.

My bench isnt all that, but its not like they are playing 20 mins a game. Would basically be using an 8 man rotation..please dont underrate my team just because my bench doesnt have big names.

homestarunner93
09-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Guess TP wouldnt score on Jennings at all, Miller not get wide open looks, Amare destroy Scola or Gasol still get his on Yao.

My bench isnt all that, but its not like they are playing 20 mins a game. Would basically be using an 8 man rotation..please dont underrate my team just because my bench doesnt have big names.

You're overrating Parker so badly. He was losing his job to George Hill last year. He's still good, but he isn't as good as he used to be. He wasn't all that efficient as a scorer last year either. I think that Miller would probably be guarded by Pietrus, so I doubt that he would get all that many open looks. Pietrus isn't as good as some people think he is, but he's a very good defender who isn't going to allow a player of Miller's caliber to go off. Pau doesn't have the size to consistently match up with Yao. He's 6'11-7'0 and not very strong. He would score some, but Yao would limit him quite a bit because of his size and strength advantage. I don't think Amare would destroy Scola at all. Scola is a pretty good defender. No one would mistake him for elite, but I wouldn't expect Amare to be averaging 27 PPG either.

Chacarron
09-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I didn't think it will turn out this ugly.

Joshtd1
09-05-2010, 12:19 PM
You're overrating Parker so badly. He was losing his job to George Hill last year. He's still good, but he isn't as good as he used to be. He wasn't all that efficient as a scorer last year either. I think that Miller would probably be guarded by Pietrus, so I doubt that he would get all that many open looks. Pietrus isn't as good as some people think he is, but he's a very good defender who isn't going to allow a player of Miller's caliber to go off. Pau doesn't have the size to consistently match up with Yao. He's 6'11-7'0 and not very strong. He would score some, but Yao would limit him quite a bit because of his size and strength advantage. I don't think Amare would destroy Scola at all. Scola is a pretty good defender. No one would mistake him for elite, but I wouldn't expect Amare to be averaging 27 PPG either.

Wrong. You are underrating Parker so badly. He was injured all year, and the Hill in the lineup had a great chemistry, Pop didnt want to risk ruining it. If he is healthy better then Hill by a good amount. For playing on basically one leg the whole year, him averaging 16 ppg is pretty good. There is no way he would go from averaging 22 ppg, to 16 because he fell off badly. We also had more options on offense.

Joshtd1
09-05-2010, 12:31 PM
FWIW, not saying Gasol and Yao guarded each other every single time..but in their head to head matchups, Gasol averages more points then Yao..and Stoudemire absolutely demolishes Scola

LOL..in Roy and Artest career head to head matchup, Roy only averages .1 more PPG then Artest, on 6% worse shooting

In Parker and Jennings matchup it is about a wash, both averaged 11 ppg..but Jennings shot a much worse%

Props to to astro for putting a good team together, Im just in shock that Im losing this badly.

HoopsDrive
09-05-2010, 01:20 PM
This is a tough one... everything hinges on not just how fit Yao is but if he's the same player from a season ago. If he is, it's the Rockets but if he's lost a considerable step in his game, I'm giving it to the Hornets.

Burkey3472
09-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I went NOH in 7 but the lack of a bench would really worry me.

Agar81
09-05-2010, 02:20 PM
rockets by far. the seeds should be reversed

LakersIn5
09-05-2010, 02:21 PM
gasol > yao
amare > scola
artest > pietrus or artest < roy
miller < roy or miller > pietrus
parker > jennings

yeah i know that the hornets bench sucks monkey ball but i doubt that those benchies will play significant minutes.. maybe only sasha and ford will play more than 10 min from the bench. and the hornets starters advantage make up for the suckiness of the bench... hornets starters >>> rockets starters... hornets bench <<< rockets bench... but the starters weigh more... so hornets > rockets....

so very surprising result so far

mavwar53
09-05-2010, 02:53 PM
cant win without a bench, rockets win here

roshan3ai
09-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Damn. Upset number one right here.

Ebbs
09-05-2010, 03:06 PM
The thing for me is I dont even think NO starters are cleary better. So though the bench is a factor I just dont think Artest is going to slow Roy Much. I'm with homestar TP is on the decline and will get torched by Jennings. Parkers shooting has never really been scary so though he will take the young inexperienced Jennings to the hole I doubt he does an overwelming amount of damage.

Miller is easily guarded by Pietrus. Anf the Absolute wrost Artest could do is like 15 points with bad %'s. Yao is kind of iffy to me because I odnt believe he will come back the same Yao he used to be however if he did Gasol would have some trouble guarding hsi massive frame. Stat would have a tough time with Scola while doing very little to limit luis is points.

Jeff559
09-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Hornets, even if Yao is healthy

Chacarron
09-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Roy and Yao make a great combination. Add in Scola, Pietrus who are great role players. Then you have a young Jennings who can light it up and played well in his first playoffs. I think the upset is possible.

Ovratd1up
09-05-2010, 03:09 PM
You're overrating Parker so badly. He was losing his job to George Hill last year. He's still good, but he isn't as good as he used to be. He wasn't all that efficient as a scorer last year either.

:laugh: What the hell does that say about your Jennings then? Parker is the considerably better player here.

I think that Miller would probably be guarded by Pietrus, so I doubt that he would get all that many open looks. Pietrus isn't as good as some people think he is, but he's a very good defender who isn't going to allow a player of Miller's caliber to go off.

Miller is a better rebounder, passer, and shooter. Pietrus scores more per 36 and is a much better defender. When you add in that Pietrus steps up in the playoffs, it's Pietrus for me.

Pau doesn't have the size to consistently match up with Yao. He's 6'11-7'0 and not very strong. He would score some, but Yao would limit him quite a bit because of his size and strength advantage.

Both are very, very good players. They actually have similar weapons offensively.

I don't think Amare would destroy Scola at all. Scola is a pretty good defender. No one would mistake him for elite, but I wouldn't expect Amare to be averaging 27 PPG either.

Scola is definitely the better overall player here, while Amare' is the much stronger scorer. Amare probably gets the edge here but with all of the things he doesn't do, Scola can't be far behind.

I give the slight edge to Yao/Scola, and the one reason is defense. They put together a formidable defensive set of bigs, translating into a good team defense, while Pau and Amare would struggle big time every night to put together a competent defense. It would be close though because of Amare's scoring.

Roy could put the Rockets over the top here, but he will be slowed down by Artest. Meanwhile, Artest sucks offensively.

It's really close and both can be very good teams, but I'd give the edge to the Rockets, especially when you add in depth. But damnit I hate Jennings.

Ovratd1up
09-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Overall Scoring > Hornets
Interior Defense >> Rockets
Chemistry =/=
Coaching N/A (though if we did count coaches, >> Rockets)

Those are usually the most important things right there.

The Hornets would probably put together one of (if not the) best offensive teams in the league while having a pretty bad defense, and the Rockets would have an extremely solid offensive and defensive team.

I'll go with the Rockets. Good matchup.

Joshtd1
09-05-2010, 03:29 PM
gasol > yao
amare > scola
artest > pietrus or artest < roy
miller < roy or miller > pietrus
parker > jennings

yeah i know that the hornets bench sucks monkey ball but i doubt that those benchies will play significant minutes.. maybe only sasha and ford will play more than 10 min from the bench. and the hornets starters advantage make up for the suckiness of the bench... hornets starters >>> rockets starters... hornets bench <<< rockets bench... but the starters weigh more... so hornets > rockets....

so very surprising result so far

BINGO. Yes Rox certainly have the better bench..but is he going to play them alot? If he is that takes away from his starter and matches them up against my starters since I would barely even play my bench. Most teams use an 8 man rotation..and Ford/Vujacic/Oberto would make up most of it, with a few spot mins my other scrub undrafted rookies.

Joshtd1
09-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I give the slight edge to Yao/Scola, and the one reason is defense. They put together a formidable defensive set of bigs, translating into a good team defense, while Pau and Amare would struggle big time every night to put together a competent defense. It would be close though because of Amare's scoring.

I'd have to disagree. Gasol, in his head to head matchups actually averages more points then Yao, granted they might not have guarded each other every game..

As for Amare and Scola, Im pretty sure they matched up against each other since they are both PF's. If you look to their head to head, Amare averaged 27 a game while Scola only averaged 15...while Scola may be an ok defender, he certainly hasnt been able to prove he can guard Amare at all.

Yao may average more blocks, but I think a Gasol/Amare interior is better then Scola/Yao seeing as Gasol and Amare have a better shot at stopping someone from getting a layup since combined they are better shot blockers. Both are good helpside defenders.

Joshtd1
09-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Just tryin to stick up for my team, sucks possibly being upset in the first round :(

Ovratd1up
09-05-2010, 04:24 PM
I'd have to disagree. Gasol, in his head to head matchups actually averages more points then Yao, granted they might not have guarded each other every game...

I haven't look at head to head, but chances are it means little considering the Lakers defense backs up Pau with Bynum and Odom, both good/very good defenders.
But Yao is the better overall scorer, averaging a little under 23 points per 36 minutes at a TS% upwards of .600.
Pau has averaged ~18.5 points per 36 minutes at a TS% slightly under .600.

As for Amare and Scola, Im pretty sure they matched up against each other since they are both PF's. If you look to their head to head, Amare averaged 27 a game while Scola only averaged 15...while Scola may be an ok defender, he certainly hasnt been able to prove he can guard Amare at all.

This may be true, but your defensive ability when you are a big doesn't culminate in how much your opponent scores (while this of course must be factored in) but the ability to prevent the opponent's team from getting baskets. This is something Scola is solid at, and Amare not so much. Shot blocking means nothing to your defensive ability, ask Tyrus Thomas. For further evidence of Scola's defensive superiority (or should I say Amare's defensive inferiority), for the last two years Scola's had a DRtg of 104 and 7.3 Defensive Win Shares, to Amare's DRtg of 110 and 3.9 DWS.

Yao may average more blocks, but I think a Gasol/Amare interior is better then Scola/Yao seeing as Gasol and Amare have a better shot at stopping someone from getting a layup since combined they are better shot blockers. Both are good helpside defenders

Again, shotblocking is a horrid, terrible, punishable way of looking at interior defense. I don't know you as a poster, but I'm guessing you know that. Scola is average or slightly above average as a defensive big, and Yao is very good. Gasol's been bad in the past, but I think now he is at least average, while Amare way below average.

Also I forgot to include rebounding, another hugely important aspect of the game.

Yao's career TRB%- 17.1%
Pau's career TRB%- 14.4%

Scola's career TRB%- 15.6%
Amare's career TRB%- 14.7%

It's worth noting that Yao, Pau, and Scola are all now better rebounders than their career mark, while Amare is now worse than his career mark.

Just tryin to stick up for my team, sucks possibly being upset in the first round :(

Sucks man, can't imagine devoting so much time, etc., and being upset in first round.
Just tryin to stick up for what I think, that's all :(. If it helps I didn't even vote.

astrosmaniac
09-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I'd have to disagree. Gasol, in his head to head matchups actually averages more points then Yao, granted they might not have guarded each other every game..

Yao may average more blocks, but I think a Gasol/Amare interior is better then Scola/Yao seeing as Gasol and Amare have a better shot at stopping someone from getting a layup since combined they are better shot blockers. Both are good helpside defenders.
when the rockets and lakers play yao matches up against bynum and scola matches up VS pau on both ends of the court. and scola is a better defender than amare man to man and even as a helper (he draws a lot of charges, and despite it being from flops, thats still a turnover by the offense

Joshtd1
09-05-2010, 05:16 PM
I haven't look at head to head, but chances are it means little considering the Lakers defense backs up Pau with Bynum and Odom, both good/very good defenders.
But Yao is the better overall scorer, averaging a little under 23 points per 36 minutes at a TS% upwards of .600.
Pau has averaged ~18.5 points per 36 minutes at a TS% slightly under .600.

This may be true, but your defensive ability when you are a big doesn't culminate in how much your opponent scores (while this of course must be factored in) but the ability to prevent the opponent's team from getting baskets. This is something Scola is solid at, and Amare not so much. Shot blocking means nothing to your defensive ability, ask Tyrus Thomas. For further evidence of Scola's defensive superiority (or should I say Amare's defensive inferiority), for the last two years Scola's had a DRtg of 104 and 7.3 Defensive Win Shares, to Amare's DRtg of 110 and 3.9 DWS.

Again, shotblocking is a horrid, terrible, punishable way of looking at interior defense. I don't know you as a poster, but I'm guessing you know that. Scola is average or slightly above average as a defensive big, and Yao is very good. Gasol's been bad in the past, but I think now he is at least average, while Amare way below average.

Also I forgot to include rebounding, another hugely important aspect of the game.

Yao's career TRB%- 17.1%
Pau's career TRB%- 14.4%

Scola's career TRB%- 15.6%
Amare's career TRB%- 14.7%

It's worth noting that Yao, Pau, and Scola are all now better rebounders than their career mark, while Amare is now worse than his career mark.

Sucks man, can't imagine devoting so much time, etc., and being upset in first round.
Just tryin to stick up for what I think, that's all :(. If it helps I didn't even vote.

I understand getting into percentages, but its not that big of a deal for me to get in that big of detail. I know shot blocking is a bad way to look at all of interior defense, but my point was if I were a guard I would rather drive in the paint and see Scola and Yao compared to Amare and Gasol . I would be more intimidated by them.

I just brought up points and what not because its the easiest thing to debate, and argue and try and make my team look better. A lot of people dont understand TS% and all that, and quite frankly for a mock offseaon game, I'm not all that worried to get into all of that. I will make my argument, present a few numbers, and hope people that see the teams pick me. Sure the detailed stats are there, and while for some it means a lot, if you really know basketball, you don't necessarily need them to help you decide who would beat who.

astrosmaniac
09-05-2010, 06:38 PM
i agree. i made my points in the write up. posted a few responses to answer questions i didnt think of in my write up, but thats about it. i think you made a great team josh. i voted you number 2 in the west. i just think my team matches up perfectly to exploint the weaknesses in your team. when the tiebreaker was posted between you and the lakers, i didnt vote because i knew i would be biased and rather face you than the lakers

BillyHoyle35
09-05-2010, 09:50 PM
the bench is what decided it for me. Usually at some point in a 7 game playoff series the benches become important, and the hornets bench is very weak compared to the rockets bench

zambo4president
09-06-2010, 12:04 AM
:laugh2: :laugh: Yes, exactly the matchup I hoped for Houston vs. New Orleans. Because Houston exploits every one of New Orleans weaknesses and I told you guys the Hornets weren't very good. Glad everyones agreeing for the most part. Serves josh right for overhyping his team.

astrosmaniac
09-06-2010, 12:15 AM
i wanted this matchup too. just because it was the one i was most likely to win....

Catfish1314
09-06-2010, 12:25 AM
:laugh2: :laugh: Yes, exactly the matchup I hoped for Houston vs. New Orleans. Because Houston exploits every one of New Orleans weaknesses and I told you guys the Hornets weren't very good. Glad everyones agreeing for the most part. Serves josh right for overhyping his team.

If that cracked you up enough to warrant two smilies, then damn...

Joshtd1
09-06-2010, 11:13 AM

Don't know why you still have a stick up your *** towards me ever since I made a comment about Rodney Stuckey. If you're this sensitive over the computer I cant imagine what you're like for in person..:shrug:

Oh well atleast I made it to the playoffs, something you can't say ;)

astrosmaniac
09-06-2010, 11:17 AM
good matchup josh. i think you would have won your matchup if it had been any other 5-8 seed IMO

Joshtd1
09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Yea good job man, good luck in the next round. I still cant help but feel I have the better team and would win a series, but hey what can ya do.

Baller1
09-06-2010, 04:03 PM
At first glance, I wanted to immediately say the Hornets. But their bench is absolute garbage whereas the rockets have a relatively strong bench.

The Rockets win.

RedRicanoBx
09-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Rockets take game 7 in a 7 game series.

NOH's bench is just so weak. TJ and Sasha are nice, but inconsistant at times. Oberto is serviceable, but I'd get scared to put him in against Yao or Scola, which those situations will happen. Yao can take Pau and Luis would have a little trouble with Amare's Athleticism. Scola,Roy,Yao are hell in crunch time playoff games.

i say 5

Verbal Christ
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
anyone who says they'd rather drive in the lane and see Scola (best flopper in the NBA) and Yao (7'6 310 lbs) vs two relative light in the pants defensive liabilities is just stuck on dumb.