PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gibbs Resigns??

slickintern
09-04-2010, 07:15 PM
wtf is going on in renton??? this has made me start to seriously doubt our front office!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5532864

SEATTLE -- A week before their season begins, the Seattle Seahawks are looking for a new offensive line coach after the sudden retirement of Alex Gibbs.

The veteran coach known for his success with zone blocking schemes stepped down on Saturday, just eight days before the Seahawks season opener against San Francisco.

A team spokesman says the 69-year-old Gibbs was "worn out."

Gibbs was considered one of coach Pete Carroll's key hires as he assembled his staff in the offseason. Gibbs was hired away from Houston, where he was an assistant coach with the Texans for two seasons. Gibbs won two Super Bowl rings as an assistant in Denver in the late 1990s. Gibbs spent 13 total seasons in Denver.
:facepalm:

Blazerfan88
09-04-2010, 07:40 PM
i dont believe it

Yendil
09-04-2010, 07:47 PM
who cares, we need an O-Line before you can coach one....

too soon???????

FWBrodie
09-04-2010, 07:48 PM
The guy is super old and never worked with Pete Carroll before. Gibbs is a strong personality. Could be that he and Carroll just didn't quite agree on a couple of things philosophically speaking and at Gibbs age he just wasn't willing to budge. Could also be that he just realized he's too old and can't handle it anymore.

Ian.
09-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I heard it was due to health reasons. AKA: he's an old ****er.

Seattle4Ever
09-04-2010, 08:34 PM

hawks4life
09-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Do you think Alex Gibbs resignation has anything to do with any disagreement with the final roster cuts? Maybe he was just saying that it was health problems so there wouldn't be any controversy.

House
09-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Do you think Alex Gibbs resignation has anything to do with any disagreement with the final roster cuts? Maybe he was just saying that it was health problems so there wouldn't be any controversy.

I know there are things I would've done differently with the roster!

hawks4life
09-04-2010, 09:29 PM
I know there are things I would've done differently with the roster!

Yeah, me too. I think they should have kept housh for at least one more season. Also, why would thy dump Hagler? I thought for sure he was a lock. With his pre-season performance, he'll definitely find a home somewhere. Too many LB's to chose from I guess.
I can't believe they wasted a roster spot on Julius Jones. I can't imagine that it'll be a popular move amongst fans.

bruser23
09-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Tough for the seahawks, but Gibbs souldn't be here if he doesn't want to be.

SEAbeliever
09-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Guys, honestly, I think that our Offensive Line can take care of themselves without Gibbs, am I right?! :D

Who needs an OL coach with a backup who came from coaching the Rams?! CHAMPIONSHIP!!!! :cheers:

Who wants to sell me their playoff tickets? Come on, it's a lock now.

On the real though, Gibbs whole philosophy revolves around continuity, I believe he came here on the premise that Captain Compete wouldn't shake up the line too much, and when that promise went down the tubes with all the roster moves, the 69 yr old lost his patience...

They can package it however they want to. You need to read between the lines, it's easy to see! :D

House
09-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah, me too. I think they should have kept housh for at least one more season. Also, why would thy dump Hagler? I thought for sure he was a lock. With his pre-season performance, he'll definitely find a home somewhere. Too many LB's to chose from I guess.
I can't believe they wasted a roster spot on Julius Jones. I can't imagine that it'll be a popular move amongst fans.

I would've held TJ for a trade!

IDFK man... Hagler in, Jones out would've made so much more sense! Matt McCoy wouldn't be on the roster and we'd be fine. I don't have anything against McCoy, Hagler was just SOOO much better all around

SEAbeliever
09-04-2010, 10:03 PM
I would've held TJ for a trade!

IDFK man... Hagler in, Jones out would've made so much more sense! Matt McCoy wouldn't be on the roster and we'd be fine. I don't have anything against McCoy, Hagler was just SOOO much better all around

I agree with that, TJ for a trade would've been so much easier once the season started and injuries to WRs occurred. Would've been a cakewalk for a negotiation when a team actually NEEDS a WR when it counts. Preseason is never a time to be dropping some veteran starters if you can avoid it.

As far as McCoy vs Hagler, I think they're REALLY obviously trying to underline the importance of youth for the future vs right now.

thehands816
09-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Via Jason LaCanfora on Twitter:

The more coaches I speak to around the league the more I hear that Alex Gibbs's decision to leave the Seahawks was indeed health related.

House
09-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I agree with that, TJ for a trade would've been so much easier once the season started and injuries to WRs occurred. Would've been a cakewalk for a negotiation when a team actually NEEDS a WR when it counts. Preseason is never a time to be dropping some veteran starters if you can avoid it.

As far as McCoy vs Hagler, I think they're REALLY obviously trying to underline the importance of youth for the future vs right now.

Hagler was 28, McCoy is turning 28.

dtceltic62
09-04-2010, 10:27 PM

Indications were that no teams were willing to trade for TJ. Was the 2011 lockout an influence as there appears to be a few other players out there who were cut under the same similarities.

hawks4life
09-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Well, there were actually rumors that several teams were actually looking...

http://blog.seattlepi.com/hawkfan/archives/220338.asp

But really though?!?!?... The moment is pretty much here. All our questions will be answered next week. I can't wait!!! There has been so many mixed opinions on how this team has handled itself over the offseason. And now we get to see the team in action.. GO HAWKS GO!!!!

jwalk777
09-04-2010, 11:29 PM
That's bad news. Gibbs was definately a dude I've been reading up on since we brought him in and he made me excited about maxing out some of our underachieving guys potential. How you don't hold on to TJ for trade bait at least is rediculous to me. We ****ed up and tipped our hand too early and everyone around the league knew he was gone so why trade for him. I really hope we're about to make some major moves cuz I'm not feeling too excited right now about the way this is all going down.

W@rH@wk
09-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Via Jason LaCanfora on Twitter:

The more coaches I speak to around the league the more I hear that Alex Gibbs's decision to leave the Seahawks was indeed health related.
Yep, sometimes a coach feels that their ability to coach is inhibited by their health so they choose to retire rather than not perform to the best of their abilities. I'm almost certain that if it wasn't health related that he'd already been on another team in some capacity.

Hawker75
09-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Well I wonder if its time to just go back to a power rushing scheme. There are all kinds of maulers out there. Just got to find the ones that can pass protect a little also. I know it sounds crazy since we let all of our big lineman go and replaced them with smaller and more agile ones but maybe next year will be the time to get bigger again. I haven't seen any improvement in the running game since we have implemented the zbs. That has been what two years now? We brought in the gurus understudy and then the guru himself. Neither lasted. Who we gonna bring in now? I think it is gonna be the same story as last year as far as the running game goes. If that turns true it is going to be a long season for the fans and matt hasselbeck who will be doing most of his time on his back due to third and long situations. Sorry for the pessimism but its not looking good.

W@rH@wk
09-05-2010, 06:05 PM
With the additions of Pitts, Hamilton, Andrews and Polumbus who's experienced in the ZBS and is a solid backup. As well as with the drafting of Okung, I'm a whole lot more confident about the O-line than I was last season.