PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James Jersey Donation Derailed by "Politics"

Swashcuff
09-04-2010, 01:50 PM
http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/juice/2010/09/lebron_james_jersey_miami_homeless_derailed.php

The Summer of LeBron just got weirder.

In July, a group of guys in Northeast Ohio launched a campaign to collect LeBron James' old Cleveland Cavaliers jerseys and send them to homeless people in Miami. It seemed like a wholesome idea. Clevelanders were so pissed off at the King's betrayal of his hometown to join the Heat, they were burning formerly treasured polyester heirlooms in the streets. Why not turn that anger into charity?

There was just one tiny problem. Homeless advocates in Miami didn't want tainted goods.

"It's on hold right now," says Rita Clark of the Miami Coalition for the Homeless. "There's a lot of politics around this."

The coalition had been in talks with the Cleveland do-gooders but ran into some resistance here in South Florida. Apparently, a marketing plan based on the concept of Here -- take a bunch of stuff we hate! wasn't particularly appealing. Clark says she heard that Miami Mayor Tomás Regalado was opposed to the donation plan.

"It seemed very well-intentioned, but it's not gonna happen right away," Clark says. "I'm trying to help them be better-received here in Miami."

Regalado hasn't yet returned the Juice's calls.Chris Jungjohann, one of the organizers of the donation drive in Cleveland, didn't respond to a request for comment.

His group's Facebook page, Break Up With LeBron, last posted an update on August 3. It's been silent ever since.

effen5
09-04-2010, 03:25 PM
lolwut

Homeless people advocates didn't want "tainted goods"

Tainted how? That its LBJ's jersey from the Cavs?

I guarentee you 90 percent of the homeless people don't even know who LBJ is. They would much rather have a jersey to wear than nothing.

beasted86
09-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I agree, it's in bad taste.

Let people donate the goods to any general charity, and let them distribute it all over the US, don't specifically target those jerseys to come to Miami only. It looks cheesy if it was done that way.

RenegadeRiot36
09-04-2010, 06:07 PM
it doesnt matter. look at it this way. Homeless people in miami have no clothes. after this, they have clothes. end of discussion. forget what the taste is, forget what the other motives are, forget all that. this is a charitable thing and it doesnt matter who is receving the donations as long as people are donating.

aside from the moral ethics of donation, the inner cavs fan in me thinks this is hilareous lol

beasted86
09-04-2010, 06:17 PM
it doesnt matter. look at it this way. Homeless people in miami have no clothes. after this, they have clothes. end of discussion. forget what the taste is, forget what the other motives are, forget all that. this is a charitable thing and it doesnt matter who is receving the donations as long as people are donating.

aside from the moral ethics of donation, the inner cavs fan in me thinks this is hilareous lol

Yes it does matter. Public perception and avoiding situations of bad taste matters.

People hate LeBron for his "Decision" even though it made $2.5 million dollars for charity, because they thought it was in bad taste and there are other ways to raise money. Similarly, Miami can use all the donations they can get for the homeless, but this just doesn't seem like a good idea. Like I said, people in Cleveland should donate their jerseys to any charity. Any that end up in Miami is all good, but we shouldn't specifically target getting them.

king4day
09-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Cheesy or not, a donation is a donation. It's not like they won't be washed.
Plus, imagine the clothes they DO take from local charities? Do they really think those are wanted clothes that people are giving away because they want to help?
It's useless clothing to them and most people just donate it instead of tossing it.

I'd love to hear who this advocate is. I'm sure a bunch of homeless people who do not have a say in this are just thrilled that politics are keeping them from getting a cool piece of clothing.

Hate or not, someone doesn't go through this effort and spend the money to get this to Miami JUST cuz he hates Lebron. He obviously had charitable intentions and is turning something bad into a good. Instead of having people burn the jerseys or stuffing them away forever, they're going to good use...

And why NOT Miami? Sure it's a Cleveland jersey, but it's still Lebron. They get to support their new hero when they otherwise can't afford it.

These people putting a stop to this are pathetic.

king4day
09-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Also, regarding the fact it's going directly to Miami homeless. What's the difference when people donate to a specific cancer research. Would it be better that they donate to cancer research overall?
It may seem in bad taste, but the guy running it is turning a negative into a positive. It's his call where they go.

beasted86
09-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Cheesy or not, a donation is a donation. It's not like they won't be washed.
Plus, imagine the clothes they DO take from local charities? Do they really think those are wanted clothes that people are giving away because they want to help?
It's useless clothing to them and most people just donate it instead of tossing it.

I'd love to hear who this advocate is. I'm sure a bunch of homeless people who do not have a say in this are just thrilled that politics are keeping them from getting a cool piece of clothing.

Hate or not, someone doesn't go through this effort and spend the money to get this to Miami JUST cuz he hates Lebron. He obviously had charitable intentions and is turning something bad into a good. Instead of having people burn the jerseys or stuffing them away forever, they're going to good use...

And why NOT Miami? Sure it's a Cleveland jersey, but it's still Lebron. They get to support their new hero when they otherwise can't afford it.

These people putting a stop to this are pathetic.

Also, regarding the fact it's going directly to Miami homeless. What's the difference when people donate to a specific cancer research. Would it be better that they donate to cancer research overall?
It may seem in bad taste, but the guy running it is turning a negative into a positive. It's his call where they go.

All of this makes no sense. It's pathetic the Mayor of Miami doesn't want jersey donations, but LeBron is pathetic for his donation of $2.5 mil to charity, which is probably a whole lot more valueable than a couple thousand jerseys being donated.

Explain to me how that works.

Anyway, you admit both are in bad taste, so maybe you can understand the Mayor's perspective.

arkanian215
09-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Let the homeless decide? If there are left overs, then send them elsewhere.

WITZ
09-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Hahaha even homeless people don't wanna rock a Queen James jersey .

hugepatsfan
09-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Nothing is going right for LBJ this summer...

TebowForeva
09-05-2010, 12:57 AM
terrible

D1JM
09-05-2010, 01:01 AM

ur wrong buddy...he got West out of Cleveland, away from gloria.

king4day
09-05-2010, 02:39 AM
All of this makes no sense. It's pathetic the Mayor of Miami doesn't want jersey donations, but LeBron is pathetic for his donation of $2.5 mil to charity, which is probably a whole lot more valueable than a couple thousand jerseys being donated.

Anyway, you admit both are in bad taste, so maybe you can understand the Mayor's perspective.

I've already discussed this in past threads. He could how found other ways to make his donations, including filming his free agency experience and then air it on ESPN for the same charity. People would have still liked him and more people probably end up watching the special. I know for sure I would have.

The difference right now is, the charity that gets the money made for 'the decision' got their money. These people won't get what's being sent to them. It's not like the person running this thing said, "give this ONLY to homeless Heat fans". There's also lot of homeless that would benefit from this that could care less about Lebron or basketball.

Chronz
09-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Just gos to show even the homeless have pride

Asham
09-05-2010, 03:43 PM

New contract for $110 million, better chance to win a ring, new mansion in Miami. Watching people in Cleveland buy his stuff to burn while collecting royalty cheques. Thats not too bad

EaglesJackson10
09-05-2010, 03:44 PM
I guess beggers can be choosers.

beasted86
09-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I've already discussed this in past threads. He could how found other ways to make his donations, including filming his free agency experience and then air it on ESPN for the same charity. People would have still liked him and more people probably end up watching the special. I know for sure I would have.

The difference right now is, the charity that gets the money made for 'the decision' got their money. These people won't get what's being sent to them. It's not like the person running this thing said, "give this ONLY to homeless Heat fans". There's also lot of homeless that would benefit from this that could care less about Lebron or basketball.

Come on, be serious... airing a documentary after he decided wouldn't have grossed $2.5 mil.

Like I said, both are in bad taste, difference is LeBron's "decision" is benefitting a whole lot more people than a bunch of out of date jerseys that aren't even a real piece of clothing. I mean can homeless people go to a job interview or to church or anything like that in an old jersey? I also don't know about you, but if I saw a homeless person begging on the corner while wearing a LeBron James jersey (if I never saw this article) the first thing I would be thinking is "where the heck did this guy get the money to get an NBA jersey?", not let me reach into my wallet. I don't think people realize how much $2.5M tax free dollars really is and how far that can go in helping more people than some old unwanted jerseys.

Super.
09-05-2010, 05:38 PM

LeBron isn't pathetic for donating $2.5M to chairity. He's pathetic for the way he humiliated an entire fanbase with "The Decision" sure giving the money away was the right thing to do, but the right thing to do....would have no done "The Decision" at all.

I don't understand how people don't get this

Super.
09-05-2010, 05:42 PM
nothing is going right for lbj this summer...

k-k-k-k-karma

hugepatsfan
09-05-2010, 06:17 PM
New contract for $110 million, better chance to win a ring, new mansion in Miami. Watching people in Cleveland buy his stuff to burn while collecting royalty cheques. Thats not too bad

This offseason has been one train wreck after another for Lebron. There is a new story every week written about him - and none of them are good. Drama is just following him like crazy this summer. Financially, he may have done fine. But his image has taken a lot of hits over a lot of foolish things.

JasonJohnHorn
09-07-2010, 08:28 AM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/video/player/news/21723667

I'm sure you all saw this article, but I noticed it hadnt been discussed in the forum yet, so I thought I'd post it and see what you all thought.

Regardless of where you fall on the LBJ/Miami thing, when I had heard that there were groups of people from Cleveland packing up their LBJ shirts and jerseys and sending them down to Miami for the homeless I thought it was a great idea. And thoughtful considering the bad blood that was still hot in Cleveland regarding LBJ's departure, it showed that most fans (I've still only seen one video or one fan burning one jersey, and none other than that) still had a heart and put helping others above being spiteful.

But it seems as though Rita Clark of the Coalition for the Homeless thinks the homeless community is too good for the jerseys and has passed on them.

This seemed like a really tacky move to me. I know growing up in a single parent home, my mom used to shop at the Salvation Army and trust me, if there was a $120 official NBA jersey in that store being sold for $5, or for free, my mom would have picked it up for me in a heart beat because she knows how much I love the game, even if it was a Mavs Nash jersey, or a Grant Hill Pistons jersey, I would have worn that jersey seven days a week! Rita Clark though seems to think the homeless of Miami will be of the same mind as her and has rejected these free jerseys on behalf of the homeless in Miami. For some reason though, I think some of those homeless people would have very much appreciated those clothes and that Clark is being a little to picky and much too spiteful than she needs to be and in the end it is the homeless folks who are missing out.

I'm a little disgusted by the move personally. Cleveland fans were trying to be kind and this one person spits in their faces and snubs her nose up at a gift being offered to homeless people. The mentality of this person is beyond me.

Thoughts?

TheTakeOver24
09-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Your wrong, this has already been discussed at length on this forum

prodigy
09-07-2010, 08:44 AM
If they don't want them then send the clothes to someone else who needs them. Or send them back to Lebron lol. I would love to see 30 boxes just seating in his yard.

DWills
09-07-2010, 08:53 AM
yup....already discussed.....all the haters decided the homeless issue in america is lebron's fault.....let's move on

JasonJohnHorn
09-07-2010, 09:12 AM
The homeless issue is LBJ's fault? Who knew? I would have never imagined that even the biggest hater with the biggest hate-on could have hung homelessness on LBJ's neck. Next thing we know, LBJ is going to be blamed for the holocaust.

But just for my information, did everybody else agree that this Rita Clark was being a little inconsiderate refusing the jerseys?

HiphopRelated
09-07-2010, 09:18 AM
lol @ thoughtful

It was petty and intended to be spiteful.

Are the homeless in Cleveland too good for the jerseys?

Still.I.Rise
09-07-2010, 09:29 AM
If they don't want them then send the clothes to someone else who needs them. Or send them back to Lebron lol. I would love to see 30 boxes just seating in his yard.

:laugh: