PDA

View Full Version : What's your personal preference for rotations?

29$JerZ
09-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Every team follows some formula for substitution patterns/rotation.

1 example I know of is how Mike D'Antoni prefers to only use 8-9 players at the most.

What do you prefer for a rotation?

Are you someone who is a believer that their should be 2 of every position player in a rotation making it a 10 man rotation?

Are you someone who wants 5 starters, 6th man, 2 bigs off the bench and 1 guard. etc?

Are you someone who likes to get every player involved in somehow? Even if the minutes would be minimal to the last guys off the bench.

Thought this would be interesting to discuss.

Khalifa21
09-04-2010, 11:44 AM
I definitely agree with you.

I prefer a smaller rotation where players can get into a better rhythm. I always like to have at least 1-2 starters out on the court as well. Guys that can bring calm to situations and be reliable scorers and defenders.

Jamballin L@KER
09-04-2010, 11:49 AM
:clap:
I definitely agree with you.

I prefer a smaller rotation where players can get into a better rhythm. I always like to have at least 1-2 starters out on the court as well. Guys that can bring calm to situations and be reliable scorers and defenders.

97NYer
09-04-2010, 12:01 PM
5 starters
sixth man guard
sixth man big
back up guard
back up big

Chris Paul/Manu/Durant/Dirk/Dwight
Ben Gordon Perkins
Mike James Big Baby

Kakaroach
09-04-2010, 12:21 PM
5 Starters
1 big
2 guards/wings

8 men in the rotation should be more than enough to keep up good rhythm. Many teams only use 3 bigs in their rotation, IE the Lakers with Gasol, Bynum, and Odom or the Jazz did last season with Boozer, Okur, and Millsap.

Raoul Duke
09-04-2010, 12:25 PM
I just like the rotations to make sense. I could care less how deep a coach likes to go or how many bigs are coming off the bench as opposed to wings and guards. It depends largely on the team in question and the chemistry. The Suns last season basically had a starting five and a reserve five, which worked out well enough for them. Contrast that to D'antoni's approach there, which also worked pretty well for his teams.

PrettyBoyJ
09-04-2010, 12:26 PM
It depend on your team.. what if your teams has depth and can play 10 players that can contribute like the Magics they have a starting and a back up for each position and each back up can make an argument of being a starter

Jamir Nelson/Jason Williams
Vince Carter/J.J Reddick
Quentin Richardson/Mickael Pietrus
Rashard Lewis/Brandon Bass/Ryan Anderson
Dwight Howard/Marcin Gortat

Avenged
09-04-2010, 01:02 PM
I like the Lakers rotation, 2 championships speak for itself in my opinion.

5 starters
2-3 PGs/SGs combined.
1 big

Come playoff time, that should be more than enough. You don't want to give a lot of players minutes because players never get on a rhythm.

JOSKOMANG4
09-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Nets:

C: Brook Lopez/Johan Petro/Brian Zoubek
PF: Troy Murphy/Derrick Favors/Kris Humphries/Sean May
SF: Travis OUtlaw/Terrence Williams(6th man)/Damion James
SG: Anthony Morrow/Quinton Ross
PG: Devin Harris/Jordan Farmar/Ben Uzoh

Lopez: 25-30 minutes
Petro: 10-12 minutes
Zoubek: 5-10 minutes
Murphy: 25-30 minutes
Favors: 18-20 minutes
Humphries: 10-12 minutes
S. May: 3-5 minutes(your getting blown out or you winning by a lot)
Outlaw: 25-28 minutes
T. Williams: 25-30 minutes
A. Morrow: 25-28 minutes
Q Ross: 12-15 Minutes
D.Harris: 25-30 minutes
J.Farmar: 12-15 minutes
B.Uzoh: 8-10 minutes

Corey
09-05-2010, 09:52 AM
9 man rotation.

Starting 5, 1 guard, 2 combo forward, 1 center off the bench.

gilly
09-05-2010, 10:17 AM
9 man:

Starting 5
6th man - SG (swingman)
Combo forward
Center
Back up PG

NYKalltheway
09-05-2010, 11:19 AM
the more the better. Given that they deserve to be getting minutes.

So I can't see the current Knicks roster having just a steady 9 man rotation. It would be absurd.

The versatilty of this year's roster means that most players can play in various positions and D'Antoni should use that instead of stick to just 9 preferred players.

First that makes it very predictable for opposition
Second, seems very unfair that 6 players are just there for practice sessions(2-3 should be in that situation at most)

Hawkeye15
09-05-2010, 11:30 AM
depends on the team, and where they are. If they are rebuilding, you go 10+ deep. If you are a good team, you need a specific rotation so everyone can get their rythm. I would guess no more than 9. I prefer an 8 man rotation for the playoffs as well.

mynameismo
09-05-2010, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't mind going the whole 12-man rotation on a regular season game. This gives the starters some rest. But come playoff time, I'd be more comfortable with an 8-9man rotation.

It depends on the team talent tho, a team with a deep bench could go 10 or more. But on an average team, 8-9 should suffice.

hugepatsfan
09-05-2010, 12:27 PM
I like a 4 man bench in the playoffs.

1.) a 6th man wing (SG/SF)
2.) a backup PG
3.) backup PF/C (can play both well)
4.) banger at C that blocks shots, rebounds, uses 6 fouls

Hopkins
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
personally, I prefer to have a deep bench, getting as many players involved as you can (mind you if the bench players can actually play, not just playing them for the sake of playing them) But yeah I would like to have at least 3 bench players who are versatile enough to play 2 positions or more, and talented enough to play starters minutes.

So an ideal situation for me would have 3 or more 6th man type players, or even platoon situations were you have virtually two starters at the same position, that way you have the best players for each situation.

J_M_B
09-05-2010, 02:24 PM
9 man rotation.

Starting 5, 1 guard, 1 center, 2 combo forwards.

ChiSox219
09-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I like up-tempo so I use a 9 man rotation.

PG Kidd
SG Sefolosha
SF Durant
PF Murphy
C Oden

4 subs: PG Lowry, SG JR Smith, C Perkins, PF Bonner

Sefolosha plays backup SF

Jeff559
09-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Depends on a lot of things, what style you play, how deep your bench is, and match ups.