PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs: 1 Dallas Mavericks vs. 8 Memphis Grizzlies

Catfish1314
09-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Every summer, PSD holds an NBA Mock Offseason. Exactly what it sounds like, this game is a mock of the real 2010 offseason which starts off from the date the Lakers won the NBA Championship. Posters on PSD act as the GMs of assigned teams and they make trades, draft players, and sign free agents to try to create the best team. These are the Mock NBA Playoffs.

This first round match-up features the top seeded Dallas Mavericks versus the 8th seeded Memphis Grizzlies. The Mavericks have home-court advantage.

Vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series. Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Mavericks:

C-Andrew Bynum/DeSagana Diop
PF-Dirk Nowitzki/Leon Powe
SF-Grant Hill/James Posey
SG-Ray Allen/Michael Finley
PG-Deron Williams/Greg Buckner

Grizzlies:

C-Emeka Okafor/Robin Lopez/Zaza Pachulia
PF-Zach Randolph/Hakim Warrick/Darrell Arthur
SF-Rudy Gay/Danilo Gallinari
SG-Ronnie Brewer/Nick Young
PG-Steve Nash/J.J. Barea/Acie Law

Mavericks Write-up:

PG: Deron Williams vs. Steve Nash. Though Steve Nash is probably still the #3 PG in the NBA this match up really isnít as close as it may seem. Deron and Nash are on about the same level as creators and playmakers for there squads. But Defensively there is no comparison Deron eats Nash on the defensive end, in fact this year Nash averaged a lowly 11.3 PPG against Utah. Thatís 5.2 PPG less against Utah then his season average. With the exception of outside shooting I think most people would acknowledge Deron as the better scorer at this point in their careers and with Nashís poor D I donít see that changing in this match up, I fully expect Deron to put up a 20-24 PPG.

Advantage: Mavs

SG: Ray Allen vs. Ronnie Brewer. Ray has the clear advantage here on both ends of the floor. Brewer doesnít bringing much offensively and with Allen being solid defensively Brewer should do limited damage to our squad. Though an above average defender Brewer has never been what I would consider elite and I seriously doubt he slows Ray down significantly.

SF: Grant Hill vs. Rudy Gay. It doesnít take a genius to see I lose this match up. Hill and Gay are both not great defenders so I would expect them both to score some points. Gay has a clear advantage here but he will have to work on the defensive end, as Hill canít be left open even at his age.

Advantage: Grizz

PF: Dirk Nowitzki vs. Zach Randolph. Z Bo had a pretty good year last year offensively and posted some nice numbers as a Grizzly. However I think its still a very easy choice between Dirk and Zach. Dirk is going to do some nasty things to Zach on the offensive ends forcing Randolph to play him all over the floor. As Zach is a pretty poor defender I can see this match up being a real headache for the Grizz. Defensively I think I will rotate Bynum and Dirk on Randolph. Dirk is a severely underrated defender and could probably do a decent job on him, however Bynum is an elite big man defender and since Okafor will bring almost nothing offensively I think I will save Dirk some effort and let them alternate.

C: Andrew Bynum vs. Emeka Okafor. Emeka will not be able to guard Bynum. The 7 foot, 285 pound Bynum who happened to put up a career best 119 ORTG last year should have his way with Emeka on both ends of the floor. The 6í10 250 pound Okafor will have his hands full all night. Emeka has a pretty sad offensive game and saw both his ORTG, and DRTG drop last year despite playing with a great PG in Chris Paul.

Bench: The Grizzlies bench is better then mine. Like most of the elite teams I sacrificed depth in order to put up a top notch starting 5. My bench does offer 3 former winners who played important minutes for there former teams in Finley, Powe, and Posey.

Advantage: Grizz

Summary: I really do feel that this is like most 1 vs. 8 seeds it should be a pretty easy series for my guys, I really liked this Memphis team but I just think they donít match up very well here. 2 of their 3 best players are the lesser players in the series and I think that my frontcourt would punish them. Nash played some of his worst offensive basketball against Utah last year and that was with 2 weaker defenders in the post. Bynum will limit penetration while being able to pound it in on Emeka. Dirk, Deron, and Ray should all see a lot of points being able to exploit there checks defensively. Hopefully with Bynum down low and Hill being able to focus most of his energy on Gay he wonít torch us. Congrats to A.mopp on getting the Grizz into the playoffs in an extremely tough western conference.

Grizzlies Write-up:

Congrats to ebbs on getting a number 1 seed. it was well deserved.

This Memphis team I put together i feel can be a match up nightmare for any team in the playoffs. We have a great balance of offense and defense. Led by Steve Nash, Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay and Danilo Gallinari.

Back Court:
Steve Nash/Ronnie Brewer vs Deron Williams/Ray Allen
Deron Williams is the best PG in the league. But i feel Steve Nash is the 3rd best. Both PG's in this series will be the catalyst for each team, providing offense and getting everybody involved. But i feel Ronnie Brewer can be a game changer. He is the strong backcourt defender every team needs. He can be called on to slow down Deron or shut down Allen, depending on what the situation calls for.

Small Forward:
Rudy Gay/Danilo Gallinari vs Grant Hill/James Posey
This match up is a big advantage for Memphis. Both Hill and Posey are solid defenders but have been on the decline. There is no way they will be able to slow down or keep up with the offense punch of Gay and Gallinari.

Forward:
Zach Randolph/Emeka Okafor vs Dirk Nowitzki/Andrew Bynum
Dirk Nowitzki is a superstar he is going to get his points. But he always seems to fade away in big playoff games. Okafor is the perfect complemtn to Randolph. A defense oriented center that will grad 10+ boards a game and block some shots. I ahve put lots of defensive minded players to help Randolphs lack of defense. Randolph is a very good player, but Steve Nash is going to take him to the next level. Nash helped amare become great, he will help Randolph becomes even better on the offensive end of the floor.

The Bench
The Bench should be a clear advantage for Memphis. My bench gives me so much flexibility and lineup options to help with any situation. Danilo Gallinari is a HUGE weapon to have off the bench, the offense he brings can be a game and series changer. My front court depth is ridiculous. Lopez can be a double digit rebounder nigh in and night out. Warrick provides an athletic spark, Berea and Young can come in a provide a fast pace change of pace.

I feel the Dallas bench could lose this series for them. There bench is terrible. Posey is nice but in a serious decline. Diop is terrible and could be called on to play big minutes WHEN Bynum gets in foul trouble or is hurt. Powe was not very effective last season and Buckner is not a PG and is just plain terrible.

There is no chance that the starters for Dallas can play an efficient 40+ minutes in a 7 game series, they will wear out after game 3.

X factor: Danilo Gallinari and Depth
I believe Danilo will be a Key for the Memphis success in this series. As well as the depth as a whole Memphis has, lots of quality that can throw many looks at Dallas

Dallas has a great team. But i believe there are enough weaknesses that the Grizzles should have a shot at an upset.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-04-2010, 03:04 AM
talk about a well rounded team. hands down dallas wins this match-up. i dont even think this is up for discussion.

Catfish1314
09-04-2010, 03:19 AM
Greg Buckner backing up at PG is gross, but Mavs still win this one in 5 games or less. Just too much firepower and a couple of critical mismatches.

49erGiantLaker
09-04-2010, 03:23 AM
Mavs

YankeesNets11
09-04-2010, 03:25 AM
Mavs

Switch
09-04-2010, 05:00 AM
Dallas

DeZonia
09-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Mavs in 5 but this team will never win the finals lol... they have Dirk...

Niro
09-04-2010, 06:11 AM
mavs have no bench but they win

SeoulBeatz
09-04-2010, 07:30 AM
frontcourt really is the deciding factor here.

bostncelts34
09-04-2010, 08:34 AM
i went with the Mavs, but it was not as easy as everybody else says it was.

Deron and Nash are pretty much a washout to me, couple of the best PGS in the league

Allen-Brewer, Brewer is a good young defender who can contain allen

Hill-Gay this is where Memphis wins a matchup, Gay should be able to get what he wants here.

Dirk-Zbo I really think they would both get their own

Bynum-Okafor This is what made me pick dallas. Size and length up front.

p.s. Dallas, your bench is really, really, bad. Buckner and finley in the back court with Powe and Diop in the front?

Khalifa21
09-04-2010, 08:38 AM
A Dirk/Bynum frontcourt with Deron Williams manning the point is too much for me. Mavs would take this series with comfort.

NYKalltheway
09-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Mavs have definitely a better starting 5, but depth can be the key here.
Gallinari, Barea, Robin Lopez, Warrick are quite a good variety to come off the bench!

I see the Grizzlies win because Mavs seem more one dimensional than the flexible Grizzlies roster.
Grizzlies in 7

The Miami Cheat
09-04-2010, 09:34 AM
dallas

dhopisthename
09-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Are there injuries? If so the mavericks are one rolled ankle from losing

Sportfan
09-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Wow really? It's really close, I have no idea how the Grizz aren't getting any love.

Nash to Randolph would be a dream combo. Randolph could finally show the world how good he really is. He'd go 25/10 with Nash at PG.

D-will is a great PG, but he doesn't match Nash's playmaking ability. Of course when it comes to scoring, Williams has the advantage

On the wings the Grizzlies run circles around the Mavs. Brewer and Gay are 2 of the most athletic wings in the NBA and facing off Allen/Hill would be a nightmare for the Mavs. There's no way they could slow them down with the speed advantage.

Dirk will probably rape Randolph on the offensive end, but like I said before Randolph with Nash would make him a great PF. Dirk is better offensively and defensively Randolph will trouble him.

I like Meka more than Bynum. Bynum without Gasol and he would suck. Well, he has Dirk now but there's no Kobe presence and imo Bynum's true skill will be revealed. He's a pretty bad rebounder for his size, and Meka will probably outrebound him. I expect Bynum to score more due to the Dirk factor, but Meka is a great defender. Will be a tough matchup.

The bench is a no contest. Grizzlies have so much big men depth (although i wish they had a bigger PF backup) and Galinari and Barea are great talents as well. Mavs bench is pretty ****ing bad.

The grizzlies youth (nash is their only old player and he still moves like he's in his 20's) and athletiscm will help them win.

TO Rapz
09-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Mavs, but i dont think they ll win it all due to lack of depth. I also think that this Memphis squad shouldnt be a 8th seed, but it is what it is. Mavs in 6.

RocketsRule
09-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Mavericks here. Just too much firepower.

JermanJaysFan
09-04-2010, 12:30 PM
I took Dallas. But I legitimately think that the Grizz take them to 7.

homestarunner93
09-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Ray has the clear advantage here on both ends of the floor.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ray's offense vs. Brewer's defense is a clear advantage? Yeah ****ing right. I'll take the Grizzlies here. The Mavs depth is gross, and while the Grizzlies don't have superstars, they have 7 players that I would have no problem starting on a playoff team. Brewer will slow down Allen offensively, and his athleticism would allow him to score on Ray. Gay would destroy Hill. Dirk wouldn't be able to match up with Z-Bo in the post, especially with Nash passing him the ball.

SouthSideRookie
09-04-2010, 12:35 PM
I went with Memphis here, perfect recipe for an upset , Dallas and Dirk.

pistonsfanomg
09-04-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't get this game

heattiltheend94
09-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Close one, but went with Mavs in 6

cubbybear2290
09-04-2010, 01:02 PM
This one is a whole lot closer than the seedings and the users are making it seem, I'm going to take the grizzlies, cause Nash and D-Will at least for me is a wash. I feel Brewer and this point is the more well rounded player above allen. He can defend and attack and Ray has been a subpar defender for a good majority of his career. Z-bo would bang up Dirk inside. But Dirk would win the matchup. Close series, but I feel it's an upset w/ memphis taking it in 7.

sep11ie
09-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Dude, most of those dudes aren't even on the rosters!

Ebbs
09-04-2010, 01:14 PM
I went with Memphis here, perfect recipe for an upset , Dallas and Dirk.

Lol.... And you guys were worried I would get free votes cuz I'm the higher seed. What about automatic opposition votes for being the mavs? Or maybe this is another misinformed media moron who actually thinks dirks a choke artist :facepalm:

HoopsDrive
09-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Mavs in 7.

Big Quett
09-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Lol.... And you guys were worried I would get free votes cuz I'm the higher seed. What about automatic opposition votes for being the mavs? Or maybe this is another misinformed media moron who actually thinks dirks a choke artist :facepalm:

I mean you cant say something isnt wrong. The Mavs losing in the 1st round 3 out of the last 4 years isnt a rumor its a fact. And they were always the top seed and favorite.

Ebbs
09-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Lol yea but you can't pin it on dirk lol... It's the system the mavs run + 1 dimensional players who often play out pf position that kill us year in and year out.