PDA

View Full Version : 09/04/10 Eight-Final 2: Greece (3-2) vs. Spain (3-2)

lakers4sho
09-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Greece vs. Spain
09/04/10 21h00 [ +3 GMT ]

Greece

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/images/web/Events/10/FWCM/photos/teams-photos/_original/GRE.jpg

F - Dimitris Diamantidis / Efstratios Perperoglou
F - Kostas Tsartsaris / Giorgos Printezis / Kostas Kaimakoglou
C - Ioannis Borousis / Sofoklis Schortsanitis / Ian Vougioukas
G - Nikos Zisis / Kostas Vasiliadis
G - Vassilis Spanoulis / Nick Calathes

Notable Missing: Antonis Fotsis, Theodoros Papaloukas

Spain

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/images/web/Events/10/FWCM/photos/teams-photos/_original/Small_101.jpg

F - Rudy Fernandez / Jorge Garbajosa / Alex Mumbru
F - Felipe Reyes / Victor Claver
C - Marc Gasol / Fran Vazquez
G - Juan Carlos Navarro / Fernando San Emeterio
G - Ricky Rubio / Sergio Llull / Raul Lopez

Notable Missing: Pau Gasol, Jose Calderon

lakers4sho
09-04-2010, 01:10 AM
so excited for this game :jumpy:

It's only the eight finals but the matchups are already good across the board :up:

NYKalltheway
09-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Papaloukas is a notable missing for Greece as well. The most important miss since our guards barring Diamantidis have been mediocre

bigsams50
09-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Lets go Greece!!!. Hopefully we can rebound the ball this game and play some ****ing defense

NYKalltheway
09-04-2010, 10:57 AM
and normal offense...
not 3point shooting centers!!!

lakers4sho
09-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Papaloukas is a notable missing for Greece as well. The most important miss since our guards barring Diamantidis have been mediocre

Isn't he like a grampy now? :p

How old is he? 33?

Kakaroach
09-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty excited for this game, if Greece can play the defense they need to they should win.

Khalifa21
09-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Greece are killing it straight out the blocks.

bigsams50
09-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Very dissapointing 4th quarter. If only Spanoulis would've hit his open 3's :(

Mr Moody
09-04-2010, 04:05 PM
fiba area sucks. thread should be in NBA area during off season IMO. With that said it was a very entertaining game

NYKalltheway
09-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Terrible refereeing in favor of Spain once again vs Greece. 2007 all over again!! Specially in the 2nd half. Countless of fouls not given for Greece but we still could have won!

Free throws missed in 4th quarter and a few turnovers in offense "completed" the failure for Greece.
Navarro was exceptional for Spain, the rest were nothing special.
On the other hand, great first half by Nikos Zisis. Very good "wake up" by Schortsianitis in the second half.

And Diamantidis showed the world today why he's among the best! A guard that scores, assists, blocks, steals, rebounds and creates difficulties for any offense. Really world class performance tonight

bigsams50
09-04-2010, 04:06 PM
^^ You still think the T'Wolves could beat Greece?

bigsams50
09-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Diamantidis definitely played his *** off tonight. Showed why he's the best defender in Europe. And it is just painful to watch Sofo guard the pick and roll. He's just too slow

Mr Moody
09-04-2010, 04:09 PM
^^ You still think the T'Wolves could beat Greece?

lol i was exaggerating to make a point

bigsams50
09-04-2010, 04:13 PM
lol i was exaggerating to make a point

That was a pretty huge exaggeration lol. ;)

NYKalltheway
09-04-2010, 04:31 PM
still can't believe how lousy Kazlauskas is!

1) We lead by 6, Diamantidis our best player is off, then Spain builds on a lead
2) No rotation!!! Our key element for success not used! Tsartsaris with only 4 minutes of play!!!
3) Still Spanoulis the ball hog. You have 3 others who are at least as good (better actually) at playmaking than him and he's your leading playmaker??? It was "fun" watching him trying to achieve the pick & roll with Sofo three times in one situation until they made it!!!

lakers4sho
09-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Was able to catch the last 5 minutes, and all I saw was Greece chucking wild 3s. They were only down by 4 or so, it wasn't time to panic yet. Wasted few key rebounds by Sofo. Too bad they couldn't execute and had to rely on Spain missing FTs down the stretch.

NYKalltheway
09-05-2010, 07:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJM5ymlbi0I

all baskets I think minus free throws

NYKalltheway
09-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Greece issued an official complaint to FIBA not only for the decisions of the refs, but mostly for the fact that 2 Spanish speaking referees were appointed for a game that involved a Spanish speaking team!

bigsams50
09-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm not gonna say the refs cost us the game, but there were a few questionable calls. (like the one they said that fotsis had basket interference)

lakers4sho
09-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Greece issued an official complaint to FIBA not only for the decisions of the refs, but mostly for the fact that 2 Spanish speaking referees were appointed for a game that involved a Spanish speaking team!

A bit bitter here are we? :p

NYKalltheway
09-06-2010, 07:54 AM
ermm no.
Spain was better, but they don't need that extra push they always get vs Greece.

There's a huge brawl between Greek federation chairman Vasilakopoulos (former FIBA chairman) between FIBA & ULEB.. He even suggested a new Mediterranean league in order to create a competition that will drain some of ULEB's income and pride as well.
ULEB is based in Barcelona and it's a common secret that they get favored. Even in the 1996 final the commissioners gave Barcelona 9 more seconds by stopping the clock at 4.9 seconds so that Barcelona could beat PAO (score was 67-66, Vrankovic with a major stop)
In 2007 it was confirmed that this happens in national level as well.
Most Greeks despise Vasilakopoulos anwyay

By putting two Spanish speaking refs in a game where a Spanish speaking nation plays against a non-Spanish speaking nation, it's just too much.

I counted at least 4 fouls after Greece scored (two player's hands on Greek scorer's hand most of the time!!!)
I saw Spain get the lead by 4 points instead of sticking to 2 (that was the moment they escaped a lot in the scoreline)
I saw Reyes being on the ground and grabbing Diamantidis and only 2 free throws were given (it was +4 or +5 for Spain and a call for unsportsmanship foul would mean 4 free throws for Greece plus possession, so it would turn the game round)
I saw Rubio traveling twice and 4 points for Spain instead of possession for Greece
I saw Navarro stepping out of bounds and receive a foul by Fotsis that nailed the Greek coffin for the tournament...

It's just too much. I'm sure in a few months someone will make a youtube clip like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siKWh0DkCz8
(never seen so many dives in a basketball game!!!)

NYKalltheway
09-06-2010, 07:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlinm046nS4
Here it is, just 2 days wait instead of few months :D

lakers4sho
09-06-2010, 12:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlinm046nS4
Here it is, just 2 days wait instead of few months :D

If that video is your "evidence", then that is a weak case IMO. Most of the "fouls" were Spanish players going straight up. And the "just a foul" comments, what were they supposed to be then? Unsportsmanlike?

Although I will give you the couple of travels. Rubio and JCN did travel on those plays. But that's it.

NYKalltheway
09-06-2010, 12:56 PM
goaltending?
foul given after the player stepping out of bounds?
Vasquez hacking the hands of big sofo?
no foul on zisis?

come on, just watch, screw the comments on the video, just watch!
plus the guy didn't put the Reyes foul and a 1-2 more incidents

and what going straight up? most situations were about handchecking!!!