PDA

View Full Version : The NBA won't allow the Raptors to market "young gunz"

thescore53
09-03-2010, 09:23 PM
The NBA won't allow the Raptors to market DeMar DeRozan, Sonny Weems, and Amir Johnson as "The Young Gunz" next season. Details on Saturday.

http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA

what do u guys think, is this going to far. im assuming it's because of the word "gunz"

llemon
09-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Bullets are now Wizards

Sadds The Gr8
09-03-2010, 09:32 PM
market as in make merchandise? or as in saying it during live broadcasts? if it's the merchandise thing i dont really care, but if commentators cant say it during broadcasts that'd be stupid

LTBaByyy
09-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Thats going too far if the commentators cant say it, raptors are finally having positive energy around them and something negative happens

Let them have fun!! this is their career in life dang lol

n83417
09-03-2010, 09:45 PM
The NBA is probably just embarrassed that a team is trying to market Amir Johnson, Sonny Weems and Demar Derozan.

zambo4president
09-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Pretty ridiculous.

ink
09-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Glad to see it. They might be something special in Toronto but the name is embarrassing league-wide because they haven't proven anything to anyone. They might be the Young Gunz of the Summer League but until they do something in the NBA they're just hopefuls.

The whole Young Gunz thing in Toronto really just exposes how naive we are to think they're stars.

DerekRE_3
09-03-2010, 09:49 PM
So they are young?

ink
09-03-2010, 09:50 PM
So they are young?

Yes. They should be called the "Young Guys who were good in Summer League".

3neSoulja
09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
lmao wow r u serious..why dont they just change the STEAL stat to Taken..then they can really crack down on all the violent terms

thescore53
09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Glad to see it. They might be something special in Toronto but the name is embarrassing league-wide because they haven't proven anything to anyone. They might be the Young Gunz of the D League but until they do something in the NBA they're just hopefuls.

The whole Young Gunz thing in Toronto really just exposes how naive we are to think they're stars.

it not just them it envolves some of the other young core like ed davis. and with draft pick new guys can join the group. and hopefully brandon knight can join that core next year.

GodsSon
09-03-2010, 09:53 PM
lmao wow r u serious..why dont they just change the STEAL stat to Taken..then they can really crack down on all the violent terms

David Stern likes your thinking

ink
09-03-2010, 09:53 PM
it not just them it envolves some of the other young core like ed davis. and with draft pick new guys can join the group. and hopefully brandon knight can join that core next year.

Let's find out whether they shoot blanks or not before we start calling them Young Gunz. Dumb name anyway.

mark1125
09-03-2010, 09:54 PM
The NBA is probably just embarrassed that a team is trying to market Amir Johnson, Sonny Weems and Demar Derozan.

This

llemon
09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Doesn't anyone get it?

The NBA does not want to promote anything using a word that is a deadly weapon.

It may sound ridiculous, but this is David Stern's (and the owners of the NBA teams) vision.

TO Rapz
09-03-2010, 09:58 PM
My life as a Raptor fan just gets worse and worse. :sigh:

cali72888
09-03-2010, 10:01 PM
The use of the marketing term "Young Gunz" is just stupid.

First off, the use of the word gun to market a national sport is not only uncalled for but immature in nature (See Bullets).

Secondly, Gunz is not even a word it is just slang. Why would you ever belittle a Multi-Million dollar franchise by marketing it with some slang crap?

Fail big time on the Raptors front office and that idiot of an owner.

heyman321
09-03-2010, 10:03 PM

First off, the use of the word gun to market a national sport is not only uncalled for but immature in nature (See Bullets).

Secondly, Gunz is not even a word it is just slang. Why would you ever belittle a Multi-Million dollar franchise by marketing it with some slang crap?

I think the Raptors are the only NBA team not owned by a guy, but by a company. MLSE that is.

TO Rapz
09-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I think the Raptors are the only NBA team not owned by a guy, but by a company. MLSE that is.

Its cuz we re canadian. :cool:

Drtino
09-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Even if the raptors are trying to market these youngsters just because they had a pretty good summer league, can they just get a better title to describe these new group of youngsters- who of course, haven't been able to accomplish anything yet other than play with more rookies and 1st year players than with NBA veterans, stars and All-stars type of players to even convince the public and the media that they could be a legitimate young core with a great future.

Even for the organization to come up with a name title like that is practically shameful and somewhat arrogant, don't they know that. If Stern hasn't done it with any other team, since he showed understanding of certain values of what the business market brings and how subliminal it reaches to a younger crowd... then why, does he have to do it for the raptors?

thescore53
09-03-2010, 10:19 PM

65% is owned by the ontarion teacher pension plan

20.5 is owned by kilmer sports(larry tanenbaum)

and td capital owns 13.5 %

thescore53
09-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Even if the raptors are trying to market these youngsters just because they had a pretty good summer league, can they just get a better title to describe these new group of youngsters- who of course, haven't been able to accomplish anything yet other than play with more rookies and 1st year players than with NBA veterans, stars and All-stars type of players to even convince the public and the media that they could be a legitimate young core with a great future.

Even for the organization to come up with a name title like that is practically shameful and somewhat arrogant, don't they know that. If Stern hasn't done it with any other team, since he showed understanding of certain values of what the business market brings and how subliminal it reaches to a younger crowd... then why, does he have to do it for the raptors?

the name was brought by a security guard then the 3 of them started saying it everywhere. then the commentators started using it.

BlazingJ
09-03-2010, 10:23 PM
That is kinda stupid, i mean it's not like they mean guns as in weapons

SA5195
09-03-2010, 10:23 PM
The Organization, front office, owners, etc did NOT make up the name.

It was actually one of the security gaurds. And then they just went with it.

"Will, our security man, gave us a little nickname – he calls us the Young Guns."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/nba/raptors/article/741760--young-guns-give-raptors-some-sizzle

llemon
09-03-2010, 10:25 PM
If Stern hasn't done it with any other team[/B], since he showed understanding of certain values of what the business market brings and how subliminal it reaches to a younger crowd... then why, does he have to do it for the raptors?

Again, the Bullets are now the Wizards

KnicksR4Real
09-03-2010, 10:27 PM
It is just a bad image... They NBA doesnt want anything tl do with guns

kswissdaf
09-03-2010, 10:28 PM
off topic but the raptors are badddddd

JWO35
09-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I want to make a Gilbert Arenas reference, but I'm sure that's the reason some post are deleted :laugh2:

The Raptors are trying to make money off left-overs...a big no no in the NBA

Khalifa21
09-03-2010, 10:37 PM
I find it kinda funny that the Raptors are trying to market three guys that combined for 22.3 ppg last season.

Things are getting pretty desperate when your "future" can't even crack the top 10 in scoring as a trio...

Drtino
09-03-2010, 10:38 PM
The Organization, front office, owners, etc did NOT make up the name.

It was actually one of the security gaurds. And then they just went with it.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/nba/raptors/article/741760--young-guns-give-raptors-some-sizzle

So they probably went with it... at the end, when all is said and done... the Organization could've chosen a different "calling"... and then, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Ilemon - The Bullets are no more, that's basically the past... we are living in the present and with that, we also live day by day with anew understanding of how conflicting certain phrases, terms and words might be taken upon by the media for all those who want to follow business and marketing majors... that's the actual truth.

llemon
09-03-2010, 10:49 PM
So they probably went with it... at the end, when all is said and done... the Organization could've chosen a different "calling"... and then, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Ilemon - The Bullets are no more, that's basically the past... we are living in the present and with that, we also live day by day with anew understanding of how conflicting certain phrases, terms and words might be taken upon by the media for all those who want to follow business and marketing majors... that's the actual truth.

Yes, the Bullets exist.....as the Wizards.

NBA does not want the names of weapons, or violent images to describe their product, or else the Nets would be the Brooklyn Bloods in two years.

VinceCarter
09-03-2010, 10:54 PM
I think in the world we live in today staying away from the word "guns" in sports or anything related to them is a good thing. They did aways with the Colt .45s in baseball too so it's not only basketball.

*Silver&Black*
09-03-2010, 10:54 PM

:clap:

Tha Truth
09-03-2010, 10:58 PM
This is understandable.

But I don't think it is a big deal if the Raptors are using the nickname amongst themselves in their locker room.

Sadds The Gr8
09-03-2010, 11:00 PM
I find it kinda funny that the Raptors are trying to market three guys that combined for 22.3 ppg last season.

Things are getting pretty desperate when your "future" can't even crack the top 10 in scoring as a trio...

Too bad the Raptors aren't promoting it...these guys gave themselves a nickname as many athletes do. This has nothing to do with the organization.

And these guys are guys that haven't gotten an opportunity until now to fully showcase their skills, that's why they don't have great stats...

thescore53
09-03-2010, 11:11 PM
off topic but the raptors are badddddd

their baddddass

gwrighter
09-03-2010, 11:39 PM

1. there is nothing wrong with using the term "young gunz." We in Canada are not so sensitive when it comes to firearm use. Most of the marketing anyways is targeted to the toronto area as no major US sports network give the raps any coverage anyways. The raptors are always bashed for being soft and we choose a "hard" name and get bashed for that as well. you can't win. I understand why they are banning the term right now as stern sees the potential for this term to become extremely popular.

2.youth culture

llemon
09-03-2010, 11:52 PM
1. there is nothing wrong with using the term "young gunz."

Obviously, the NBA disagrees with you

Kakaroach
09-03-2010, 11:55 PM
If a name/idea is even somewhat controversial it'll never be allowed. Especially something like this after the Gilbert Arenas incident last season.

j-bay
09-04-2010, 12:04 AM
and also not only is gilbert the reason but he washington hockey team already had that slogan taken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXuwr0vQqLM

Drtino
09-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Yes, the Bullets exist.....as the Wizards.

NBA does not want the names of weapons, or violent images to describe their product, or else the Nets would be the Brooklyn Bloods in two years.

Somehow you're still missing what I am trying to say...I am still referring about the name, the term, the word... not the team, I know the team is now the wizards... but you're talking about the team and I am referring to the name/title in itself.

oOo Rhino oOo
09-04-2010, 12:16 AM
LoL

thescore53
09-04-2010, 12:20 AM
you were probably one of the thousands praying every night that Bosh doesn't leave Toronto...

we dodged a 130 mill bullet that would have led us to 40 win seasons. :guns:

NetsPaint
09-04-2010, 12:20 AM
"Shooting" the basketball needs to be replaced immediately.

Drtino
09-04-2010, 12:22 AM
and also not only is gilbert the reason but he washington hockey team already had that slogan taken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXuwr0vQqLM

Perhaps that could be true... but, anyways that's hockey... different sport... who knows for how long that title stuck with the ads or solely for marketing purposes... with all this much violence that you get to see... there should be more and better rules and regulations in other sports in order to be allowed before it gets to be released to the media.

Drtino
09-04-2010, 12:24 AM

Good one...:D... but not controversial.

The_905
09-04-2010, 12:52 AM
you were probably one of the thousands praying every night that Bosh doesn't leave Toronto...

Only uneducated fans wanted Bosh back.. Any real raps fan wanted Bosh the **** out of here..

Raps08-09 Champ
09-04-2010, 12:59 AM

That's just how we are in T-Dot.

We all from the hood here.

Raps26
09-04-2010, 01:25 AM
I am pretty sure that the Raptors organization is not marketing this term...It started with the security guard, then caught on with the players, broadcasters, and then fans. Its not like the david stern can reprimand the raptors organization because they had nothing to do with starting it or marketing it. Personally I do not see the problem with the name. I think that the league has become far to sensitive with this issue. Bringing guns into the locker room is one thing...this is not the same.

NetsPaint
09-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant fit that name more anyway. They proved something.

blakeiscool612
09-04-2010, 01:37 AM
I guess now all violent terms have to be taken out of the game.
Instead of "he made the game winning shot"
I guess it'll have to be"he made the game winning throw at the basket"?

NetsPaint
09-04-2010, 01:47 AM
I guess now all violent terms have to be taken out of the game.
Instead of "he made the game winning shot"
I guess it'll have to be"he made the game winning throw at the basket"?

Maybe, but down the line the hood will start liking this and call it "the throw down".

STAT1
09-04-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm not surprised the NBA doesn't want a team to be talking about "gunz" because of all the gun stuff that web down in Washington. I think they shouldn't be able to use it because they have a Z at the end of gun.

Antipod
09-04-2010, 02:07 AM
After the "Arenas incident"....i understand them :o

Wade>You
09-04-2010, 03:20 AM
The NBA isn't stopping the Raptor players from calling themselves young gunz, they just don't want the Team marketing them that way. Completely understandable.

heyman321
09-04-2010, 10:38 AM
What's so hard to understand? They don't want the Raptors or any organization to market their teams with anything related to guns. It still might make those stupid *** kids who believes in anything they see/hear think of guns which = bad news.

When kids see the words "gunz", they think of guns. When kids see the words "shot", they don't necessarily think of guns, they think of shooting the basketball, all in the persepctive of the sport though, not everyday life that is.

heyman321
09-04-2010, 10:38 AM
That's just how we are in T-Dot.

We all from the hood here.

Oh please, half of the GTA and downtown TO is composed of rich families.

PrettyBoyJ
09-04-2010, 12:22 PM
I think the league is a little sensitive after the Gilbert Arenas situation

topdog
09-04-2010, 12:26 PM

LOL

Understandable, especially after last year. David Stern is trying to kick this thug image - even if "young guns" can be quite innocent.

pistonsfanomg
09-04-2010, 12:31 PM
lol

C_Mund
09-04-2010, 12:41 PM
I really don't have any big feelings either way.
....but for those who think it's dumb to try and market these guys, just watch them play this coming season. You'll love it because your team will usually win but the raps will actually play fun-to-watch ball.
Johnson, Weems and Derozan are just fan favourites who have a chance to be decent in a couple seasons. Nothing wrong with that.

Radio Rakeem
09-04-2010, 01:01 PM
understandable from the NBA perspective.

Even if the Raptors organization isn't allowed to market the "Young Gunz", expect someone to pick up the opportunity to market them if they start to show their potential.

Radio Rakeem
09-04-2010, 01:08 PM
btw if the raptors aren't allowed to market "The Young Gunz", why are the jazz allowed to market "AK47"?

thoughts....

sep11ie
09-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Lol!

thecure
09-04-2010, 01:09 PM

I love all of these little grammatical digs.

The fact of the matter is that "gunz" represents all the things David Stern opposes. From the incorrect spelling to representing firearms, it is clear that Stern would love to avoid it becoming a household NBA term, as he would any slang derived from the NBA culture.

That said, who died and put him in charge of freedom of speech.

There maybe no posters or commercials, but you can bet that Jack Armstrong will make a point of calling them the "Young Gunz", if only to stick to the man a bit.

Just a side, if in an interview a player referred to their biceps as gun(z)s and stated that said gun(z)s were going to be a big difference maker this season, would said player be warned/fined?

thecure
09-04-2010, 01:11 PM
btw if the raptors aren't allowed to market "The Young Gunz", why are the jazz allowed to market "AK47"?

thoughts....

yeppers... my guess is they won't after the isht storm this may create.

KingsPhillies
09-04-2010, 01:48 PM

thoughts....

I was just about to make the same point. And what about "Pistol Pete" Maravich? I wonder if Stern made a fuss about that when we was the NBA's General Counsel in the late 70's...

Sadds The Gr8
09-04-2010, 01:54 PM

thoughts....

I was just about to make the same point. And what about "Pistol Pete" Maravich? I wonder if Stern made a fuss about that when we was the NBA's General Counsel in the late 70's...

I guess the NBA doesn't mind the specific gun names like those ones and are more worried about getting rid of the obvious ones like young gunz. And plus, AK47 is his initials and jersey number, so I guess that's another reason they don't mind it.

topdog
09-04-2010, 02:06 PM

thoughts....

Because 1. AK47 are his initials and jersey number 2. it's linguistically more complex - when someone says "gun" it relays an automatic connection between and object and a word vs. AK47 which for most people is not a direct connection - it may be a familiar word but does not automatically invoke an image.

NYKNYGNYY
09-04-2010, 03:23 PM
especially after arenas lol

Raps08-09 Champ
09-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Oh please, half of the GTA and downtown TO is composed of rich families.

I'm from Scarborough. The goon part too.

I gotta watch out for gun shots as soon as I leave my house.

thecure
09-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Looks as though our moderator, Hawkeye15, could work in Sterns office making positive people are not saying things slightly inflammatory.

Good work Hawkeye15, Mr. Stern would be proud.

(now that's baiting!)

Jamiecballer
09-04-2010, 04:02 PM

i like this line of thinking. i think a 'steal' should be changed to 'temporarily borrowed'.

faridk89
09-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Yes. They should be called the "Young Guys who were good in Summer League".

hahahaha so true this is getting sad

Byronicle
09-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Glad to see it. They might be something special in Toronto but the name is embarrassing league-wide because they haven't proven anything to anyone. They might be the Young Gunz of the Summer League but until they do something in the NBA they're just hopefuls.

don't really care if they can't have that nickname no more, but I've always thought it was more of a joke/funny thing, or something to bring hope to the Raptor's franchise and their friends or at least a positive thing. but isn't that what they are, young guys that can blow things easily?

Byronicle
09-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm from Scarborough. The goon part too.

I gotta watch out for gun shots as soon as I leave my house.

man please dont be telling people that, i've been down their too, its just people trying to make a living selling weed there are no goons. go to church and wellesley past midnight and bring plenty of new underwear

Raps08-09 Champ
09-04-2010, 05:29 PM
man please dont be telling people that, i've been down their too, its just people trying to make a living selling weed there are no goons. go to church and wellesley past midnight and bring plenty of new underwear

Mans here got AK47's in their pants. So watch out.

blackjack_119
09-04-2010, 05:41 PM
If I make a photoshopped "Harrison Barnes wearing a Raptors Jersey" would everyone use it instead of the Amir Johnson "Douche-iest Face" Picture?

masTOR_shake1
09-04-2010, 06:16 PM
this but a slap on the wrist for gilbet actaully pulling a gun in the locker room,,,,,***** david stern.

beasted86
09-04-2010, 06:21 PM

:burn:

thescore53
09-04-2010, 06:37 PM
If I make a photoshopped "Harrison Barnes wearing a Raptors Jersey" would everyone use it instead of the Amir Johnson "Douche-iest Face" Picture?

u refering to mine ? and if u do it yea i will

thescore53
09-04-2010, 06:42 PM
:burn:

dont worry there will be a demar derozan on chris bosh poster this year :cool:

it's gonna be freaky actually watching bosh come into the acc wearing a different jersey damn im tripping now.

spreadeagle
09-04-2010, 07:46 PM

Im a raps fan but this made me laugh..damn our lineup is weak I wont lie,derozen has got better,he can ball.Sonny Weems is decent

beasted86
09-04-2010, 07:49 PM
dont worry there will be a demar derozan on chris bosh poster this year :cool:

it's gonna be freaky actually watching bosh come into the acc wearing a different jersey damn im tripping now.

Yeah, DeMar Derozan had a lot of posters in his rookie year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBwTUMHvdso

xxcubs22xx
09-04-2010, 08:08 PM

This. LOL

Sadds The Gr8
09-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah, DeMar Derozan had a lot of posters in his rookie year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBwTUMHvdso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsbEq_8NIk4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBqFASNfYvA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWZ2F7Ezqc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRJE8MsZuGU

:laugh2:

ink
09-05-2010, 02:46 AM
Yeah, ends up being a thread that should have been closed or moved.