PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sloan

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 04:02 PM
In your opinion, rationalize why Sloan has never won COY. I for one think he has been overlooked for years. But why is it, in all these years, he couldn't win it at least once? Is the system that flawed?
Sloan's teams are always competitive, he gets the most out of a large percentage of his players, and gets passed over every season.

Thoughts? What is your opinion of Coach Sloan?

Chacarron
09-03-2010, 04:07 PM
He already is a HOF coach. I still can't believe he never has won COY with Malone and Stockton all those years. He is a great coach, very defensive-oriented. It's too late for him to get a COY award unless it is given to him out of respect.

HeatBBall
09-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Wow, I didn't realize he's never won it. I'm sure he deserved at least one in the Malone/Stockton era.

abe_froman
09-03-2010, 04:11 PM
consistency.coy is given to the coach of teams that have had a turn around.jerry and the jazz you can always pencil in to be good pretty much every year

IndyRealist
09-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Coach of the Year is given to a coach when his team overachieves. The Jazz are always expected to be good. It's probably for the best though, most COY winners get fired within 3 years of winning the award. Their team eventually stops overachieving and plays to expectations, and the coach gets the ax.

haggis
09-03-2010, 04:26 PM
consistency.coy is given to the coach of teams that have had a turn around.jerry and the jazz you can always pencil in to be good pretty much every year

^this

kinda on topic...

But I've always imagined Sloan to be sitting in his office that has orange shag carpet, fake wood paneled walls, and chain smoking marlboro reds while watching old school film on a old projector, talking about "the good old days". I know this isn't true, but it always pops into my mind when i think of him...

Shady66
09-03-2010, 04:33 PM
^this

kinda on topic...

But I've always imagined Sloan to be sitting in his office that has orange shag carpet, fake wood paneled walls, and chain smoking marlboro reds while watching old school film on a old projector, talking about "the good old days". I know this isn't true, but it always pops into my mind when i think of him...

ok..........
:laugh:

And I agree with abe

Jamballin L@KER
09-03-2010, 04:50 PM
:laugh2 :^^ lol

king4day
09-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Who won it the years they went to the finals?
Unfortunately, you get one or two shots at it, it seems. Mike D'Antoni won it. Then had a good year without Amar'e where he didn't win it and then another 60+ win season where he didn't win it. It looks like the writers look at what has been done and then forget the difficulty to remain the best. Same goes for a lot of other coaches.

Barring a 60 win year, i think all hope is lost for him to get it.

b_russ
09-03-2010, 05:05 PM
It's too late for him to get a COY award unless it is given to him out of respect.

That's terrible if that's really the way the voters make their selections. "Let's write him off because he's already a great coach."

Chacarron
09-03-2010, 05:11 PM
That's terrible if that's really the way the voters make their selections. "Let's write him off because he's already a great coach."

I was just saying. He definitely should have a few COY awards, but this being his last season, I don't see him winning it.

abe_froman
09-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Who won it the years they went to the finals?

pat rliey and larry bird

Sly Guy
09-03-2010, 05:17 PM

this is how I see it.

haggis
09-03-2010, 05:19 PM

agreed. it's definitely flawed. but take a look at this list:

http://www.nba.com/history/awards_coachofyear.html

For the most part, in recent years its been given to coaches who have either:
A) had a "turnaround" season (ie Byron Scott, Sam Mitchell)
or
B) Been a relatively newer coach with immediate success (ie Avery Johnson, Rick Carlisle)

For some reason, writers prefer the "flash in the pan" coach, rather than those who have long-term success.

b_russ
09-03-2010, 05:25 PM
I was just saying. He definitely should have a few COY awards, but this being his last season, I don't see him winning it.

I wasn't getting after you, just the mentality of the voters. I agree with what you said, I just think it's wrong the way they vote. It takes the Jackson's, Sloan's, Popovich's out of consideration. That's like saying Bryant, James, and Nash shouldn't win MVP because they've already established elite status. It's not 'Most Improved Coach of the Year' Award, it's 'Coach of the Year' and that's how they should vote.

ManningToTyree
09-03-2010, 05:49 PM
one of the best coaches in the game. maybe this year? but probably not

Kyle N.
09-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Coach of the Year is given to a coach when his team overachieves. The Jazz are always expected to be good. It's probably for the best though, most COY winners get fired within 3 years of winning the award. Their team eventually stops overachieving and plays to expectations, and the coach gets the ax.

This is EXACTLY the reason. Look at the past 7 Coach of the Year Award winners. Scott Brooks is still with the Thunder, ok, but after that we have Mike Brown (fired), Byron Scott (fired), Sam Mitchell (fired), Avery Johnson (fired), Mike D'Antoni (fired), and Hubie Brown (fired). The coaches of teams that have good years win this award, but say the next year the team has some injuries or something. Is the coach not a good coach anymore?

Raoul Duke
09-03-2010, 07:48 PM
In your opinion, rationalize why Sloan has never won COY. I for one think he has been overlooked for years. But why is it, in all these years, he couldn't win it at least once? Is the system that flawed?
Sloan's teams are always competitive, he gets the most out of a large percentage of his players, and gets passed over every season.

Thoughts? What is your opinion of Coach Sloan?

I don't think the system is flawed at all. The team plays in a relatively small market and they don't have a history of being big spenders. That makes Sloan's sustained excellence even more impressive. Sure he hasn't won a chamionship yet, but you look at who he lost to and it's like "wow, yeah I get it".

If he wins a coach of the year award, which he oughtta, it'll be for his overall career and not just the season for which it was awarded. Sorta like Denzel's "Training Day" oscar that was basically for "Malcolm X".

effen5
09-03-2010, 07:51 PM
One of the best coaches in NBA history.

Klivlend
09-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Cause he is in Utah...do I really have to explian that further?

RaiderLakersA's
09-03-2010, 08:32 PM
In your opinion, rationalize why Sloan has never won COY.

I can't. It's completely ridiculous that Coach Sloan has never won COY. it makes one seriously question the process and the credibility of those who vote for for the award.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 08:49 PM
I can't. It's completely ridiculous that Coach Sloan has never won COY. it makes one seriously question the process and the credibility of those who vote for for the award.

this follows my line of thinking, on NBA awards in general. You see players get it when they don't deserve it, then don't get it when they do. You see coaches being passed who are the model of consistency and success. One hit wonders should occasionally win it, sure. But I can't explain for the life of me why Jerry Sloan hasn't won it at this point. And quite frankly, its made me not give a crap about the award

Ware_Spencer
09-03-2010, 08:49 PM

We don't know if this is his last year. He signs 1 year contracts every year. He makes a decision every year. He will probably coach a couple more years.

And instead of having only 1 coach award there should be a most improved coach and also a coach of the year. The will make them choose one of the better teams in the league for coach of the year and also choose those up and coming teams for most improved.
It seems like every year its a most improved award rather than Coach of the year award.
That might not work but the system is flawed for sure.

jimbobjarree
09-03-2010, 09:17 PM
he's too consistant to win it. It goes to the coach who has produced the biggest turn around from the previous season. Jerry Sloan cant improve much on 50 win seasons.