PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com: Rising stars to watch in the 2010-11 season

Swashcuff
09-02-2010, 11:38 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/08/30/rising.players/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

You'll hear it in about five weeks. It happens every training camp, how this player is much lighter, and that player is much stronger, and such-and-such is much wiser, blah, blah. It's almost clichι to say certain players are poised for a breakthrough, and when April arrives, nothing special happened. He's still the same player.

Every now and then, though, it's true. A player does take the next step, and his foot doesn't land on a banana peel in the process.

You can almost see who's ready to elevate their status. Some already showed improvement late last season. Others will see a new life with a new team. And certain players will get more playing time because a spot opened up.

That said, here's a list of players primed for a big leap in 2010-11:

• Darren Collison, Pacers: The Pacers have never had an All-Star point guard, and the club's all-time assists leader is Reggie Miller. That's a roundabout way of saying the Pacers aren't exactly point-guard central. Could this change in the near future? Collison gets his own team to run, something he earned after spelling Chris Paul so smoothly last season in New Orleans. Quite surprisingly, the Hornets' point guard position didn't suffer as much when Paul sat two months with injuries, which made Collison an unexpected surprise and trade bait. Although occasionally sloppy with the ball, Collison showed poise and savvy for someone so young and untested, and averaged 18.8 points and 9.1 assists over 37 games. The potential drawback, though, is putting too much weight on those 37 games. The NBA graveyard is full of players who soared in limited action, then were exposed as teases once given a bigger load over a longer stretch. Given the Pacers' history with point guards (Mark Jackson excepted) and their current options, the bar isn't exactly set high here. Collison should clear it with room to spare.

• J.J. Redick, Magic:. It's only a matter of time before he replaces Vince Carter, or at least gets more minutes in the rotation. That was assured when Redick outplayed Carter in the playoffs (especially against the Celtics in the conference finals) and when the Magic matched the 3-year, $19 million offer sheet he received from the Bulls. It's no secret that Redick's biggest fan, after Coach K, is Stan Van Gundy, who showed plenty of confidence in Redick during the post-season by using him in big spots. Redick has spent the last two years toning his body, working on his dribble game and his defense, to the point where neither are major weaknesses anymore. With more time and responsibility, he could become the Magic's most reliable outside shooter, ahead of Rashard Lewis. This should be the season Redick averages double-figures and makes people pay for doubling on Dwight Howard.

• Andray Blatche, Wizards: Arguably, nobody improved so suddenly after the All-Star break than Blatche, one of the few bright spots in an otherwise forgettable Wizards season. Blessed with length and velvet skills for someone 6-foot-11, Blatche knows his way around the rim and gained confidence in his jumper as the season wore on. Not shy about rebounding in traffic, either, Blatche was a revelation in the final 32 games, averaging 22 points, 8.3 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.5 steals. His numbers may even increase with John Wall finding him. Of course, Blatche's ego soared right along with his productivity, which led to a late-season benching by Flip Saunders. And Blatche is known for being a free spirit. So, the question is: Has he matured following a series of missteps (driving recklessly, solicitation, benching), and if not, will further episodes limit his growth?

• Robin Lopez, Suns: He has a ways to go before he's the best player in his own household. But he could gain on twin brother Brook this season, or at least give the Suns an inside presence with Amar'e Stoudemire gone. The opportunity is there for Lopez, who brings good size and high energy, which compensates for being fairly raw offensively. After becoming a starter, Lopez averaged 11.3 points, shot 59 percent with 6.3 rebounds. Realistically, he's cut in the Joakim Noah mold, although not as aggressive a rebounder as Noah.

• Carl Landry, Kings: He's a critical piece to the renaissance taking place in Sacramento, and gave a hint last season after arriving from the Rockets that he's the real deal. In 28 games with the Kings, he averaged 18 points, shot 52 percent and had good chemistry with Tyreke Evans. Is he the next good, young power forward? Perhaps. Not sure how many touches he'll have playing next to rookie center DeMarcus Cousins, but at the very least, Landry should be a major weapon for the Kings this season, his first as a full-time starter.

• J.J. Hickson, Cavaliers: Who needs LeBron? OK, bad joke. Anyway, Hickson has "ready" stamped on his forehead after some encouraging moments last season, to the point where the Cavaliers deemed him untouchable in any mid-season deals. He's not polished and his mid-range game needs major work, but the basics are there and perhaps the will as well. Should the Cavaliers endure a losing season, as anticipated, Hickson could get the playing time and numbers. Somebody's got to score, right?

• Stephen Curry, Warriors: He's already the best all-around shooter in the game. Yes, already, with all due respects to Ray Allen. But to dwell on shooting wouldn't be doing Curry justice. In the latter half of his rookie season, Curry showed solid passing skills and even drew raves for his passing on Team USA this summer. Just a hunch: Curry will make the All-Star Game, finish among the top 3-point shooters, lead the Warriors in assists and average well over 20 points. This would shock you?

• Greg Oden, Blazers: Is this the year it happens? Does Oden make it through in one piece and flash signs of being a franchise-type player? Both are iffy propositions, based on history if nothing else. For sure, much is riding on 2010-11 for Oden. This is a money year; the Blazers can offer him an extension, which would remove him from the restricted free agent market, but they'd be foolish to spend big before seeing some progress. Also, this is a reputation year; Oden (if healthy) has a chance to finally build a foundation for himself. What's crummy is that after missing 21 games and then 61 games the last two seasons, Oden's still raw offensively; he'll need at least a full season to develop a move or two. But the basic big man stuff is there (rebounding, defense) which is enough for him to contribute in a meaningful way. Steering clear of injury and silly fouls are the immediate goals, although that's easier said than done.

• Kevin Love, Timberwolves: He operates in an unconventional world. Love is a walking contradiction. For two years he averaged only 26 minutes a night for a losing team, and yet is one of the Wolves' better players. He's a solid rebounder who lacks low-post moves, and a deft passer who plays a rugged position. Maybe this is the year the Wolves figure out how to best use Love and keep him on the floor. He's always around the ball and tends to make something happen. And he wasn't chosen to Team USA this summer by accident. With no Al Jefferson around, Love finally has his chance to become the low-post presence for a team that doesn't have many. You think the Wolves will finally, you know, put him in the starting lineup?

• Tyrus Thomas, Bobcats: He can be a bit flaky, and undisciplined at times on the court, but there's no denying the physical gifts here. Thomas brings tremendous hops and a desire, if not the technique, to play solid defense. Larry Brown thinks Thomas can be a star. We'll see. The Bobcats were smitten enough to keep him from escaping as a free agent this summer, something the Bulls, who had him for three years, were unwilling to do. Thomas will be given the platform to prove himself, because the Tyson Chandler experiment in Charlotte was a short one and there really isn't another big-man option in town (Kwame Brown? DaSagana Diop? Nazr Mohammed?). He'll need to develop a trusty mid-range game and tone down the mistakes to fulfill Brown's hope. At the very least, Thomas should begin to challenge Emeka Okafor as the best big-man in Charlotte's short history, for what it's worth.

Pauleboman
09-02-2010, 11:44 PM
If I only had a brain Tyrus..no-way

Chacarron
09-02-2010, 11:54 PM
JJ Hickson, look out for him.

Hawkeye15
09-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Love
17/13 this season

thescore53
09-02-2010, 11:56 PM
bargnani ?

Baller1
09-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Where's Westbrook?!

Yeah, I said it.

jackdawson
09-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Kevin Love. He is gonna have an amazing year without a doubt. He will replace Dwight Howard as the leading rebounder of the game.

mynameismo
09-03-2010, 12:14 AM
If healthy.. Greg Oden is a lock.

Kashmir13579
09-03-2010, 12:15 AM
no love for gallinari? espn really hates the knicks.

knicks=love
09-03-2010, 12:15 AM
um, why don't any knicks EVER get any credit? what about gallo?

Shammyguy3
09-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Where's Greg Oden?

thecure
09-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Derozan is gonna shock peeps... just sayin.

nanablvd
09-03-2010, 12:36 AM
i would say stephen curry is bound to stardom in 2 years if not for next year.

Spurred1
09-03-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm curious to see how much more Robin Lopez develops. He should make some strides this season, esp. in rebounding.

TheBay30
09-03-2010, 12:38 AM
gallo sucks who cares about him!

TheBay30
09-03-2010, 12:39 AM
jk why is he not on here tho???

mynameismo
09-03-2010, 12:49 AM

I'd be more excited with Anthony Randolph if I were you.

sargon21
09-03-2010, 01:06 AM
i have a question for warriors fans: if curry does become a player putting up huge stats like 22/8 or something like that, do you think a cop-out by opposing fans would continue to be that it's just the system and the pace lending to that, kinda similar to monta?

TO Rapz
09-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Derozan? Weems? Gallo?

Khalifa21
09-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Yeah, Gallo or Randolph not being on there is a bit surprising, but other than that I agree with the list, I can't wait to see how these players shape up this season.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 08:26 AM
i have a question for warriors fans: if curry does become a player putting up huge stats like 22/8 or something like that, do you think a cop-out by opposing fans would continue to be that it's just the system and the pace lending to that, kinda similar to monta?

as long as Curry's numbers come with efficiency, and it helps the win column, I doubt anyone will question Curry at all

Monta gets criticized because his numbers come on horrible efficiency, and don't do anything to help his team.

BenFrank
09-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Aaron Brooks!!! Can't believe they forgot the MIP, smh

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Aaron Brooks!!! Can't believe they forgot the MIP, smh

cause he already had a somewhat breakout year.

Jets012
09-03-2010, 09:01 AM
I really think Terrance Williams is going to have a breakout year on the Nets. He is in his second season with a great coach in Avery Johnson. He is an athletic freak who I believe may bag a couple triple doubles this year.

Antipod
09-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Oden & Collison:win:

stejay
09-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Redick has been relatively disappointing IMO since he joined the Magic. I expected him to be the next big thing in the NBA after his awesome college career. Maybe this is the year, after 4 less than stellar ones, to show it.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 09:04 AM
I really think Terrance Williams is going to have a breakout year on the Nets. He is in his second season with a great coach in Avery Johnson. He is an athletic freak who I believe may bag a couple triple doubles this year.

I like this pick. I watched him over the later part of last season, and I have to admit that I thought he was not intelligent enough to pick up the NBA game after watching him in college, but he looked pretty good. He could become a nice player

stealth33
09-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Not saying he'll be a star but you guys should try to keep your eyes on Roy Hibbert this year. He has been working his *** off. Larry Bird abused his celtics connections a bit and gave him the choice of being mentored by Bill Russell, Bill Walton, or Kevin McHale. He went with Walton.

Beyond that, this list is good. Me personally, I think Love and Collison are locks to be very improved. I think Curry has another GOOD year but in a couple years he will be borderline star.

One rookie (less heralded) that I'm keeping my eyes on is Avery Bradley.

Steelers23_06
09-03-2010, 09:20 AM
i myself cant wait to see wall play his rookie season this has been a crazy off season which has overshadowed this but this going to be good. and i want to see how good tyreke and boogie play together they could be a dangerous duo. also i want to see where rose stands his 3rd season because thats when players lose that young role and mature. i want to see how chalmers can step up and play with the miami thrice as well. this is the most excited i think i have ever been for the season to come is it oct 29th yet?!?

BOSTON617
09-03-2010, 09:21 AM
i agree with everyone except for reddick and lopez

Steelers23_06
09-03-2010, 09:26 AM
i forgot blake too. i was anticipating seeing how blake griffin would do. i hope we dont have another oden. i see blake having a lot of potential. but you never know with the clippers lol

nycericanguy
09-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Hibbert, Anthony Randolph, Derozan & Gallo should be on that list. Tyrus Thomas? Really? He's been in the league like 6 years already.

mikantsass
09-03-2010, 09:46 AM
No Tyreke?

Sturmer
09-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Amir Johnson

Weezy
09-03-2010, 10:04 AM
I think A Randolph should be there.

The Miami Cheat
09-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Hibbert, Anthony Randolph, Derozan & Gallo should be on that list. Tyrus Thomas? Really? He's been in the league like 6 years already.

x2

Swashcuff
09-03-2010, 10:30 AM
People are only calling names of players from their own team and bashing the choice of Ty Thomas. Yes he is overrated but as last season came along he really started playing the best ball of his entire career. If he gets his act together on and off the court, he IS certainly going to be a star player for the Cats. IMO though he's older he has shown MUCH more promise than JJ Hickson.

Chill_Will_24
09-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Terrence Williams should definitely benon that list. This kid is just bursting to have a breakout year. He gets to the lane at will, his first step is ridiculous, and he's a lock for the dunk contest. His problem is his shooting if he were to develop a consistent jumper he would be unguardable. Last year he played with no coach on the worst team in the league. Now he's playing under Avery Johnson on possibly a top 5 three point shooting team with a real roster. He will have a breakout season.

kingkenny01
09-03-2010, 10:47 AM
no milwaukee love where is brandon jennings or tyreke evans
why the **** is everyone on curry's tiny dick

Bob_at_york
09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
bargnani ?

I don't think he deserves to be on the list but I thought DeMar or Amir could have been put on the list.

Bob_at_york
09-03-2010, 10:57 AM
he has shown MUCH more promise than JJ Hickson.
Hickson was a name I wasn't expecting to see on the list. I also question how much promise he has shown.

CowboysKB24
09-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Where's Westbrook?!

Yeah, I said it.

He is proven star IMO.

Bob_at_york
09-03-2010, 11:14 AM
He is proven star IMO.

isn't Curry too?

GodsSon
09-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I was expecting to see DeRozan on the list...oh well, sometimes it's better to fly under the radar

Jrue Holiday would have been a good pick for this list as well

Swashcuff
09-03-2010, 11:54 AM
All those second year players like DeRozan, Jrue, T-Will (eventhough I think he should be there) really aren't expected to become stars just yet. With the exclusion of Step Curry who has shown true all-star promise.

Jays Claw
09-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Why aren't DeRozan, Randolph, Hill and Gallinari on the list? These guys are definitely due for a breakout season.

save the knicks
09-03-2010, 12:38 PM
People are only calling names of players from their own team and bashing the choice of Ty Thomas. Yes he is overrated but as last season came along he really started playing the best ball of his entire career. If he gets his act together on and off the court, he IS certainly going to be a star player for the Cats. IMO though he's older he has shown MUCH more promise than JJ Hickson.

been hearing that for the last 4 years

also larry brown is a nut case

Bob_at_york
09-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Why aren't DeRozan, Randolph, Hill and Gallinari on the list? These guys are definitely due for a breakout season.

I am not sure about Gallinari. His PPG might go up a bit but with Felton and Amare there, he might not get to flourish as much as some of you think he will. He has thr talent but I don't think he will get the opportunity to average 20ppg.

sep11ie
09-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Chase Budinger

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Beasley > Love

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Beasley > Love

not in their first two years dude

DamnGoat
09-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I refuse to believe Tyrus Thomas will ever be anything more than a very solid role player. He's one of the dumbest basketball players I've ever watched.

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 02:40 PM
not in their first two years dude

Yes

Beasley > Love
Love is a better rebounder though

Beasley > Love

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Yes

Beasley > Love
Love is a better rebounder though

Beasley > Love

before I even attempt to debate you, please post why you think so.
This will be pretty easy

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 02:54 PM
before I even attempt to debate you, please post why you think so.
This will be pretty easy

Cool, the average NBA fan takes things for what they look like on the stat sheet and on the surface. Kevin Love is a pretty good player I'm not taking that away from him at all. But, Whose numbers actually mean more is what we need to ask ourselves.
What matters more

A 15/6 guy on a playoff team
or a 14/11 on the worst team in the conference?
Both shoot pretty much the same FG percentage

and take into account that Al Jeff 17/9
while Dwade was avg 26 ppg

You put Beasley on the Twolves he is instantly a 18-20ppg scorer if the minutes is right and is a First option, as much as I like Love he will always be a second option, If Love is your first option you get nowhere in the season as evidenced by that record.

The Twolves will win more games this year as long as Beasley competes.

sep11ie
09-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Cool, the average NBA fan takes things for what they look like on the stat sheet and on the surface. Kevin Love is a pretty good player I'm not taking that away from him at all. But, Whose numbers actually mean more is what we need to ask ourselves.
What matters more

You put Beasley on the Twolves he is instantly a 18-20ppg scorer if the minutes is right and is a First option, as much as I like Love he will always be a second option, If Love is your first option you get nowhere in the season as evidenced by that record.

You kinda contridicted yourself man. Bease was 15/6 as a second option where ALL the attention went to Wade. He failed to grasp the role. He may be a 18-20 ppg guy now on the Wolves, but won't be an efficent scorer by any means.

And Hawk isn't an average fan. He knows what he's talking about and just about always backs it up.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 03:02 PM
What matters more

Love has been far more efficient in the NBA. Beasley has been a chucker who disappears.
What matters more, being a ball hog while playing alongside the 2nd best player in the NBA, constantly taking bad shots, or creating possessions with offensive rebounding and scoring at a good clip per possession while not having a play run for you?

Beasley still has potential, but to date has been very dissappointing. But guess what, he IS on the Wolves now. So we will see if his numbers, and more/most importantly, his efficiency, go up.

But to date, Love has clearly outplayed Beasley.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=beaslmi01&y1=2010&p2=loveke01&y2=2010

Love essentially tops Beas everywhere. And the fact that Love has more win shares on a terrible team shows you his stats do indeed contribute more.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Beasley averages 18.1 shots per 40 minutes, but has a true shooting percentage of just 50.1, even with Dwyane Wade commanding most of the opponent's attention -- and assists on just 7.2 percent of his possessions, putting him in the bottom third of power forwards. Beasley has by far the highest usage rate (23.3) of any frontcourt player with a TS% under 51

I hate to criticize a current Timberpuppy. And I am glad we got him. But there is a reason this #2 pick was traded for literally nothing

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 03:09 PM
You kinda contridicted yourself man. Bease was 15/6 as a second option where ALL the attention went to Wade. He failed to grasp the role. He may be a 18-20 ppg guy now on the Wolves, but won't be an efficent scorer by any means.

And Hawk isn't an average fan. He knows what he's talking about and just about always backs it up.

I didn't contradict myself I put the 1st options for both teams

And I put that AL Jefferson's 17/9 1st option to Dwyane Wades 26/6

Obviously when a player such as Dwyane Wade is scoring at such a rate for a 2nd year player this Obviously is going to cut there scoring down.

Where as Love didn't have that same challenge and scored less then Beasley.

Yes you do take stats into account which is what I'm doing but you also must consider other things.

Kevin Durant has better numbers than Kobe but you cant say Durant is on the same Level simply because Kobe is averaging his numbers at a Championship level where as Durant is averaging his at a 1st round playoff level (for now anyway)

Bynum averages 15/8 Love avgs 14/11 they both play the same amount of minutes, whose stats matter more? Who is better?

awmathewsjr
09-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Where's Westbrook?!

Yeah, I said it.

He played too well last year to be on this lists.

Kyben36
thomas has been on that list for almost 5 years now, can we take him off yet.

Hawkeye15
thomas has been on that list for almost 5 years now, can we take him off yet.

seriously. When does the "potential" tag drop?

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Beasley averages 18.1 shots per 40 minutes, but has a true shooting percentage of just 50.1, even with Dwyane Wade commanding most of the opponent's attention -- and assists on just 7.2 percent of his possessions, putting him in the bottom third of power forwards. Beasley has by far the highest usage rate (23.3) of any frontcourt player with a TS% under 51

I hate to criticize a current Timberpuppy. And I am glad we got him. But there is a reason this #2 pick was traded for literally nothing

Traded for nothing?

I forgot we traded him to give Lebron Bosh and Wade max deals...

Anyway when the season starts youll see how quickly it becomes Beasley's team

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Traded for nothing?

I forgot we traded him to give Lebron Bosh and Wade max deals...

Anyway when the season starts youll see how quickly it becomes Beasley's team

you wouldn't have traded a few other guys taken in that draft

you traded him to sign Mike Miller btw

And I highly doubt Love doesn't start and play PF 34+ mpg

And you can clearly see I am correct regarding Love and Beasley dude. Cmon now. Love has been better, and more valuable.

sep11ie
09-03-2010, 03:34 PM
I didn't contradict myself I put the 1st options for both teams

And I put that AL Jefferson's 17/9 1st option to Dwyane Wades 26/6

Obviously when a player such as Dwyane Wade is scoring at such a rate for a 2nd year player this Obviously is going to cut there scoring down.

Where as Love didn't have that same challenge and scored less then Beasley.

Yes you do take stats into account which is what I'm doing but you also must consider other things.

Kevin Durant has better numbers than Kobe but you cant say Durant is on the same Level simply because Kobe is averaging his numbers at a Championship level where as Durant is averaging his at a 1st round playoff level (for now anyway)

Bynum averages 15/8 Love avgs 14/11 they both play the same amount of minutes, whose stats matter more? Who is better?

Your logic makes very little sense to me. Its even hard to debate cause what you say is so all over the place.

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 03:38 PM
you wouldn't have traded a few other guys taken in that draft

you traded him to sign Mike Miller btw

And I highly doubt Love doesn't start and play PF 34+ mpg

And you can clearly see I am correct regarding Love and Beasley dude. Cmon now. Love has been better, and more valuable.

We had Bosh and Wade prefered Haslem more so over Beasley. Haslem is our hometown guy has been with us for 8 years. Beasley's contract isn't garunteed.

Mike just never fit here, they never gave him a chance to grow and he still put up decent years. There are alot of misconceptions about Bease, and that he sucks. He really doesn't, give it sometime and hes going to become an allstar quickly. He just never really fit our team.

If you look at the highs of Beasley's career however you can see he has it in him to be an allstar.

I think Love is pretty solid but Beasley is going to be an allstar he just needs time to grow.

I rather Beasley then Love and I wouldn't think twice on that.
But you'll see I just hope when you do see it live that you don't start saying "Where did this come from?" "He got better" because that is definitely not true because we've seen in it in Miami but he just didn't fit.

So enjoy it, your gonna have an allstar in Minnesota, and can take claim for turning a so called bad 2 year player into an allstar, nothing to be mad about here.

thekmp211
09-03-2010, 03:39 PM
seriously. When does the "potential" tag drop?

agreed. collison and love are the two best candidates, collison can be great if he takes better care of the ball. love's deficiencies can be covered up by darko roaming the paint...just kidding...but really there's no reason he can't shine. if johnny flynn decides to make an effort to pass i think he could push 20 ppg...it's not like the wolves are flush with scorers.

i think sonny weems and derozan could open some eyes this year. i like weems. marcus thornton, eric gordon, blake griffin, kevin martin, t-will, serge ibaka, jrue holliday, dj augustin some names that come to mind that weren't listed. breakout applies to these guys in different sense, but i think they could all be surprisingly good.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 03:44 PM
We had Bosh and Wade prefered Haslem more so over Beasley. Haslem is our hometown guy has been with us for 8 years. Beasley's contract isn't garunteed.

Mike just never fit here, they never gave him a chance to grow and he still put up decent years. There are alot of misconceptions about Bease, and that he sucks. He really doesn't, give it sometime and hes going to become an allstar quickly. He just never really fit our team.

If you look at the highs of Beasley's career however you can see he has it in him to be an allstar.

I think Love is pretty solid but Beasley is going to be an allstar he just needs time to grow.

I rather Beasley then Love and I wouldn't think twice on that.
But you'll see I just hope when you do see it live that you don't start saying "Where did this come from?" "He got better" because that is definitely not true because we've seen in it in Miami but he just didn't fit.

So enjoy it, your gonna have an allstar in Minnesota, and can take claim for turning a so called bad 2 year player into an allstar, nothing to be mad about here.

regardless of your opinions on the future growth of Love and Beasley, its still clear Love has been better, and has a dominant skill set and head that is on straight.
I would take Love over Beasley anyday of the week at this point.

And Mike didn't fit in with Miami because he didn't grasp any role Spol was trying to give him. He underachieved. If you shoot 38.9% from 15+ feet, why shoot 70% of your shots there? Beasley may get his head straight, he may not. But he has been the definition of a chucker, and not helped his team in the least bit compared to Love.

Of course Wade preferred Haslem. And the front office preferred Mike Miller. This should tell you exactly what I am telling you. Beasley has underachieved, and so much to the point that Miami was willing to admit after only 2 years that they made a poor pick, and they shipped him off. Of course the dynamics of what they were bringing in helped push this forward, but if Rose, Westbrook, Love, Lopez, had been taken by Miami, they would STILL be in Miami.

I won't bother debating you on their futures, because neither of us have a crystal ball. I take proven skillset and good upside over average skillset and high upside.

I was happy we got Beasley for nothing. I would love for him to turn his career around. But I don't think he will be a better ball player than Love. And I know for sure he hasn't been the past two years.

FaM0us Skins
09-03-2010, 03:45 PM
collison will do better

saintl2510
09-03-2010, 03:46 PM
i think gallo will average at least 20 ppg this season

sep11ie
09-03-2010, 03:49 PM
The Knicks have gotten no credit because of the terrible moves they've done over the last several years. They don't deserve credit because they play in New York. Its a win or shut up league...

saintl2510
09-03-2010, 03:49 PM
collison will have a better season than everybody in that list becuase hes in indiana he gets a fresh start, he will get to lead his own team as a point guard and to me he was the steal of the draft

saintl2510
09-03-2010, 03:53 PM
The Knicks have gotten no credit because of the terrible moves they've done over the last several years. They don't deserve credit because they play in New York. Its a win or shut up league...
the knicks moves were not that terrible they have corrected their mistakes in adding amare , felton, andy ruatins can shoot, larry fields athlethic, ronny turiaf energy, azubukie defender, anthony randolph rebounder plus gallo going to have a breakout season so think twice before you talk please

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 03:53 PM
regardless of your opinions on the future growth of Love and Beasley, its still clear Love has been better, and has a dominant skill set and head that is on straight.
I would take Love over Beasley anyday of the week at this point.

And Mike didn't fit in with Miami because he didn't grasp any role Spol was trying to give him. He underachieved. If you shoot 38.9% from 15+ feet, why shoot 70% of your shots there? Beasley may get his head straight, he may not. But he has been the definition of a chucker, and not helped his team in the least bit compared to Love.

Of course Wade preferred Haslem. And the front office preferred Mike Miller. This should tell you exactly what I am telling you. Beasley has underachieved, and so much to the point that Miami was willing to admit after only 2 years that they made a poor pick, and they shipped him off. Of course the dynamics of what they were bringing in helped push this forward, but if Rose, Westbrook, Love, Lopez, had been taken by Miami, they would STILL be in Miami.

I won't bother debating you on their futures, because neither of us have a crystal ball. I take proven skillset and good upside over average skillset and high upside.

I was happy we got Beasley for nothing. I would love for him to turn his career around. But I don't think he will be a better ball player than Love. And I know for sure he hasn't been the past two years.

You don't try to make a Championship team with 3 PFs who demand such minutes and you have literally 5 players on the team. It makes absolutely no sense. Especially if the Heat didn't consider Beasley a SF. Like I said the Heat didn't use Beasley correctly but he is better then Love. Baring some injury next season or a suspension, like I said He will be the best player on the Wolves and you guys will give him all the praise and homerism in the world and even take credit for making him better when he always had it in him to be that guy.

Like I said before when your team is the 2nd worst in the league and you average 14/11 I don't look at those stats as valid or not no matter how efficient you are even though Love is definitely a solid player.

Beasley will be the 1 guy on the Timberwolves period, so when hes lighting it up next season you can thank me later.

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 04:04 PM
BTW as Heat fan if Beasley really wasn't as good as I'm saying why would I be saying? Wouldn't I say Beasley sucks I'm glad you got that underachiever? He's not with us.

No, I actually WATCH these basketball games and I sometimes look at stats but they don't tell the entire story.

If you become too zoomed in on stats players have early in there career you miss alot of things because alot of these 2 year guys that blossomed could never get into a rhythm were there consistently playing the same over a course of a whole season.

thekmp211
09-03-2010, 04:04 PM
You don't try to make a Championship team with 3 PFs who demand such minutes and you have literally 5 players on the team. It makes absolutely no sense. Especially if the Heat didn't consider Beasley a SF. Like I said the Heat didn't use Beasley correctly but he is better then Love. Baring some injury next season or a suspension, like I said He will be the best player on the Wolves and you guys will give him all the praise and homerism in the world and even take credit for making him better when he always had it in him to be that guy.

Like I said before when your team is the 2nd worst in the league and you average 14/11 I don't look at those stats as valid or not no matter how efficient you are even though Love is definitely a solid player.

Beasley will be the 1 guy on the Timberwolves period, so when hes lighting it up next season you can thank me later.

i have to chime in here. a huge part of beasley's problem is his lack of a role. he can't play big, defend bigs or rebound at an elite clip at this level. his athleticism was elite in college but just good in the pros. by the same token, he is not a consistent outside shooter. love is a better shooter than beasley.
he is a tweener with no go-to skill. that is purgatory in the nba.

then take into account his off the court issues. pot, clashing with coaches, lack of focus....the guy was handed a starring role with wade and could not produce. the only difference between minny and miami last year was wade...plenty of room for stats and for production. going to minny doesn't even guarantee him a starting job. he has a lot to prove.

with all of that said, he has a lot of talent and is still so young. but so is love. he already has a completely elite skill which is rebounding. he is a plus shooter and passer for his position. it could be a debate in the future but it isnt right now.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 04:06 PM

haha, I am not a flopper like most here bud. IF, and that is a big if, Beasley becomes the best player on the Wolves (which I don't think you know how to measure from reading your posts on this topic), I will simply say, "Thank god it finally clicked, cause he was mediocre at best his first two years"

You are having a difficult time understanding how to evaluate a player, regarding their team play. If Love had a Wade near him, his numbers and efficiencies would skyrocket. Love doesn't need a single play run for him, creates possessions, cleans up the defensive boards, and takes advantage of opportunities. Players like Love are the guys Wade, LeBron, Kobe, etc LOVE to play with. Chuckers like Beasley who show up 2/3 nights a week are not.

hope he turns it around, for the Wolves sake. But I am not holding my breath

We are done here. Your arguments are full of holes and contradictions

Hugbees
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
anthony randolph?

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 04:14 PM
haha, I am not a flopper like most here bud. IF, and that is a big if, Beasley becomes the best player on the Wolves (which I don't think you know how to measure from reading your posts on this topic), I will simply say, "Thank god it finally clicked, cause he was mediocre at best his first two years"

You are having a difficult time understanding how to evaluate a player, regarding their team play. If Love had a Wade near him, his numbers and efficiencies would skyrocket. Love doesn't need a single play run for him, creates possessions, cleans up the defensive boards, and takes advantage of opportunities. Players like Love are the guys Wade, LeBron, Kobe, etc LOVE to play with. Chuckers like Beasley who show up 2/3 nights a week are not.

hope he turns it around, for the Wolves sake. But I am not holding my breath

We are done here. Your arguments are full of holes and contradictions

Look, Im gonna make it simple If Beasley is starting he will avg at a mininum 18/7 - a I'd say a max 22/8. Alot of you take for what you heard with him playing in Miami and DID NOT watch him play what so ever. We can sig bet that if you want and take it from there. When you actually watch the games and stop being over critical over 2 year players who aren't that consistent in general you would see that.

sep11ie
09-03-2010, 04:14 PM
the knicks moves were not that terrible they have corrected their mistakes in adding amare , felton, andy ruatins can shoot, larry fields athlethic, ronny turiaf energy, azubukie defender, anthony randolph rebounder plus gallo going to have a breakout season so think twice before you talk please

I was talking about the Isiah years. Which could be coming back. If the moves they have made pan out, more power to them. Untill they do, they don't deserve to be talked about.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Look, Im gonna make it simple If Beasley is starting he will avg at a mininum 18/7 - a I'd say a max 22/8. Alot of you take for what you heard with him playing in Miami and DID NOT watch him play what so ever. We can sig bet that if you want and take it from there. When you actually watch the games and stop being over critical over 2 year players who aren't that consistent in general you would see that.

I will make is simple for you. Monta Ellis averages 25 a night and he sucks.

And you just resorted back to the old, "you must not watch" arguement.

I watched him play at least 40-50 times in the NBA, 4 times in person. Then add playoffs. And over half his KSU games. I am well educated on Michael Beasley's game

sep11ie
09-03-2010, 04:30 PM

Sig bets are for Backstreet Boys.

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 04:31 PM

I watched him play at least 40-50 times in the NBA, 4 times in person. Then add playoffs. And over half his KSU games. I am well educated on Michael Beasley's game

I just don't understand your logic that a 14/11 guy on a 15 win team means something. I just don't, I see Kevin Love as a good contributor someone who is solid. Where as Beasley is a on and off guy but when he's on can easily be one of the best players on the floor.

When you look at Allstar PF's coming into the league they usually put up around the same numbers as Beasley + more rebounds. They guy is 21 years and started on a playoff team. To me that means more then what Love has been able to accomplish.

footballer2369
09-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Look, odds are you haven't watched nearly that many games of Heat basketball and I know you want to get into a pissing contest for some odd reason BUT there is no denying that Beasley is simply a more talented, skilled, athletic basketball player than Love.

Is he more efficient? NO. More productive? NOT REALLY... But he is much more skilled... once he gains confidence and learns more of the game and puts it together mentally he likely will be the better basketball player.

Stat heads begin to think about basketball as some mathematical equation and it simply is not that simple.

Beasley will eventually be a star in this league....of what magnitude and when have yet to be determined...but he will be.

mp3
09-03-2010, 04:34 PM
jrue holliday

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Look, odds are you haven't watched nearly that many games of Heat basketball and I know you want to get into a pissing contest for some odd reason BUT there is no denying that Beasley is simply a more talented, skilled, athletic basketball player than Love.

Is he more efficient? NO. More productive? NOT REALLY... But he is much more skilled... once he gains confidence and learns more of the game and puts it together mentally he likely will be the better basketball player.

Stat heads begin to think about basketball as some mathematical equation and it simply is not that simple.

Beasley will eventually be a star in this league....of what magnitude and when have yet to be determined...but he will be.

you and I have already discussed this subject. And sure I have, I love Wade, and like Beasley, have since KSU (my sister went to school with him, so I followed them).
and playing basketball has a lot more to do with jumping high and running fast, you know this.
To date, Love has been a better player. There is no debating this. He is better at pretty much everything, with a clearly defined position, and growing skillset. Beasley is a tweener who has not produced consistently at all.

I really can't hammer it in enough. Beasley has been nothing short of an underachieving chucker so far. I hope he turns it around, I really do. But to say he is better than Love, who has an elite skill, can pass, shoot, handle the ball, and start a break with the flick of his wrist, is not gonna work.

And to the other poster, how can you take the stats of a player who gets barely above an average PER and can't hit opnen 18 footers with Dwayne Wade on his team? You would think Beasley would have higher than a 7.2% assist rate on a team where he doesn't get a ton of attention. Shouldn't players be MORE efficient with great players next to them? If anything, trends show that Beasley's per game numbers will go up in Minnesota, and his efficiency will drop, therefore he will not be helping.

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I just don't understand your logic that a 14/11 guy on a 15 win team means something. I just don't, I see Kevin Love as a good contributor someone who is solid. Where as Beasley is a on and off guy but when he's on can easily be one of the best players on the floor.

When you look at Allstar PF's coming into the league they usually put up around the same numbers as Beasley + more rebounds. They guy is 21 years and started on a playoff team. To me that means more then what Love has been able to accomplish.

kermit the frog could make the playoffs with Wade on his team in the east dude. Beasley wasn't exactly the player who put them over the top and into the playoffs. In fact, Love has more win shares than Beasley does in his career. THIS MEANS LOVE HAS PRODUCED MORE WINS THAN BEASLEY HAS

footballer2369
09-03-2010, 04:48 PM
you and I have already discussed this subject. And sure I have, I love Wade, and like Beasley, have since KSU (my sister went to school with him, so I followed them).
and playing basketball has a lot more to do with jumping high and running fast, you know this.
To date, Love has been a better player. There is no debating this. He is better at pretty much everything, with a clearly defined position, and growing skillset. Beasley is a tweener who has not produced consistently at all.

I really can't hammer it in enough. Beasley has been nothing short of an underachieving chucker so far. I hope he turns it around, I really do. But to say he is better than Love, who has an elite skill, can pass, shoot, handle the ball, and start a break with the flick of his wrist, is not gonna work.

And to the other poster, how can you take the stats of a player who gets barely above an average PER and can't hit opnen 18 footers with Dwayne Wade on his team? You would think Beasley would have higher than a 7.2% assist rate on a team where he doesn't get a ton of attention. Shouldn't players be MORE efficient with great players next to them? If anything, trends show that Beasley's per game numbers will go up in Minnesota, and his efficiency will drop, therefore he will not be helping.

When you examine his splits per position, you'll notice that as a PF, he has a PER around 19...and he has performed much better as a starter as well....

these are facts...

love was not jerked around in roles and positions that did not suit him on a playoff team and pulled after every mistake, never finishing the game on the court (see: inexplicable Haslem love)....that is not a growing environment suitable for a talent of his level...that is how underachievers are born...

I'm glad that he will be on a team that he can get a fair shake and I am glad that you will have the opportunity to see and appreciate this rising star and talent.

VinceCarter
09-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Terrence Williams.

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 04:54 PM
kermit the frog could make the playoffs with Wade on his team in the east dude. Beasley wasn't exactly the player who put them over the top and into the playoffs. In fact, Love has more win shares than Beasley does in his career. THIS MEANS LOVE HAS PRODUCED MORE WINS THAN BEASLEY HAS

1. The Heat never had to be put over the top to get into the playoffs they managed a 5th seed anyway.

2. When has Beasley got open looks with Wade playing SG? Rarely, Haslem gets the open looks because of Pick and Roles but Wade didn't give Beasley or Chalmers the ball that much. And that's why I know you don't watch Beasley's game as much as you say you do.

Michael Beasley is better then Love, 2008 NBA All Rookie 1st team that's consensus. As bad as you claimed Beasley played his first year he was still better then Love.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/04/30/rookie.team.release/index.html

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 04:57 PM
1. The Heat never had to be put over the top to get into the playoffs they managed a 5th seed anyway.

2. When has Beasley got open looks with Wade playing SG? Rarely, Haslem gets the open looks because of Pick and Roles but Wade didn't give Beasley or Chalmers the ball that much. And that's why I know you don't watch Beasley's game as much as you say you do.

Michael Beasley is better then Love, 2008 NBA All Rookie 1st team that's consensus. As bad as you claimed Beasley played his first year he was still better then Love.

totally, cause those teams mean something...

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 04:58 PM
When you examine his splits per position, you'll notice that as a PF, he has a PER around 19...and he has performed much better as a starter as well....

these are facts...

love was not jerked around in roles and positions that did not suit him on a playoff team and pulled after every mistake, never finishing the game on the court (see: inexplicable Haslem love)....that is not a growing environment suitable for a talent of his level...that is how underachievers are born...

I'm glad that he will be on a team that he can get a fair shake and I am glad that you will have the opportunity to see and appreciate this rising star and talent.

Why are you pulling PER? Love's is better no matter how you cut it.
Love wasn't jerked around? mmkay. Inconsistent minutes, moved on/off the bench, had to deal with the team showcasing Al, etc.

I agree, I am glad he is on the Wolves now. I really hope he has been working on his perimeter skills, cause he will need them to get a lot of playing time.

Shady66
09-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I love the Rolo shout. He has been working on his offence this summer and should hopefully have a great year.

VinceCarter
09-03-2010, 05:02 PM

PER shows Beasley's first year was better than last year and PER shows Love was better than Beasley both seasons.

greg_ory_2005
09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Wow, no Derozan..

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 05:04 PM
totally, cause those teams mean something...

Actually it does...The 1st team all rookie team is usually is consistently better then the 2nd team all rookie team throughout there entire careers baring injury, more so when the 1st teamer is younger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_All-Rookie_Team

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Actually it does...The 1st team all rookie team is usually is consistently better then the 2nd team all rookie team throughout there entire careers baring injury, more so when the 1st teamer is younger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_All-Rookie_Team

as a whole, probably. Individually, there are countless cases that say otherwise.

Honestly, debate with something to retort to, instead of the same old things average fans repeat to themselves. Show me something Beasley does better, and we can talk. Love is pretty much better at everything a PF is supposed to do. Not sure how this can be argued.
Potential is a great word. You will notice Tyrus Thomas is on this list on page 1. How many more years do we tag him "potential"?

I hope Beasley has been working on his perimeter game, and watching film to work on his passing. We will see

IrespectNumber3
09-03-2010, 05:27 PM
as a whole, probably. Individually, there are countless cases that say otherwise.

Honestly, debate with something to retort to, instead of the same old things average fans repeat to themselves. Show me something Beasley does better, and we can talk. Love is pretty much better at everything a PF is supposed to do. Not sure how this can be argued.
Potential is a great word. You will notice Tyrus Thomas is on this list on page 1. How many more years do we tag him "potential"?

I hope Beasley has been working on his perimeter game, and watching film to work on his passing. We will see

Didn't know Tyrus Thomas was a 1st teamer, couldve sworn he was a Second teamer in the same section as Kevin Love.

Beasley definitely has a jumper, I'm much of a traditional guy stats matter but to a certain extent. There is no stat that says Kobe is the best player in the NBA but he definetly has the rings to prove it, sure he is gonna have some off game but, when it matters he wins.

With that said this is exactly why I don't just look at stats you have to look at the entire line of work and the game. If you look at just stats and efficiency too hard and you don't watch the game you don't know what is what.

I don't see how your an impact to a team avg 14/11 and your team is 15-67. On stats alone you can say Love is better then Bynum and that Amare is better then Gasol but its not true.

Different players have different roles and make different contributions. If you contribute to a 15-67 and don't crack at least 18/10 as a PF then you are apart of the problem. Kevin Love needs to create more offensively.

Swashcuff
09-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Didn't know Tyrus Thomas was a 1st teamer, couldve sworn he was a Second teamer in the same section as Kevin Love.

Beasley definitely has a jumper, I'm much of a traditional guy stats matter but to a certain extent. There is no stat that says Kobe is the best player in the NBA but he definetly has the rings to prove it, sure he is gonna have some off game but, when it matters he wins.

With that said this is exactly why I don't just look at stats you have to look at the entire line of work and the game. If you look at just stats and efficiency too hard and you don't watch the game you don't know what is what.

I don't see how your an impact to a team avg 14/11 and your team is 15-67. On stats alone you can say Love is better then Bynum and that Amare is better then Gasol but its not true.

Different players have different roles and make different contributions. If you contribute to a 15-67 and don't crack at least 18/10 as a PF then you are apart of the problem. Kevin Love needs to create more offensively.

Thats not true there is no statiscal evidence that can support Amare being better than Pau. There are stats that suggest he is better at certain aspects but on a whole no one can seriously make that case by the use of just stats. As well as the Bynum/Love basic/raw stats will indeed tell you that Love is better but if you take a good look at the stats and really comprehend them you'd be more likely to lean towards Andrew Bynum.

How can you say Kevin Love needs to create more offensively when it was his PGs that were failing at getting him the ball.The system was not run to supoort Kevin Love it was ran through Al Jefferson. Love got more garbage buckets than anything else last season. He is not Michael Beasley or at least the Beasley we all thought he'd be and be able to create for himself or has that natural knack as a scorer that Beasley showed in college.

You rightfully said different players have different roles and Love performed his role much better than Beasley had in both of their first 2 seasons. There is no questioning that. If you gave Love the opportunities that Beasley had on that Miami team to play along side a player such as Dwyane Wade he would have probably been that 18/10 player that you were talking about.

sep11ie
09-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Dang, no Derozan?

Hawkeye15
09-03-2010, 08:28 PM

this is the last reply on this, you are spinning in circles with no evidence, I just feel the need to correct you.
Beasley shot under 37% outside 10 feet last year. If that is what you call a jumper, not sure you even know what it is. Love shot in the mid 40's. So Love is a better shooter, however Beasley shot 70% of his attempts out there.
Love doesn't NEED to create anything. He goes and gets it.
I don't just look at stats either, but its the easiest way to show you that your statements are false. Because its basically evidence produced right in front of your face you continue to swipe away and say the same things.

There WERE stats to tell us Kobe was the best in the game, he is no longer. But he has a hell of a roster that lets him coast thru and pick his spots.

Different players do indeed have different roles. Love knows, understands, and embraces his. Beasley has played confused.

There is no way you can prove Beasley has been better than Love. There is also no way you can prove who will be better. They are the same age. Love has been far more efficient across the line, while being exposed with less talent than Beasley. Both will now have an opportunity, on the same team, to take control of their careers. My money says Love capitalizes and Beasley falls into a role