PDA

View Full Version : Where the **** Did I Go Wrong????

StealingSigns
09-02-2010, 07:55 PM
My son uttered the words no father ever wants to hear come from their child's mouth:

"Daddy, I like the Yankees!!"

:facepalm:

He is seven years old. Despite the fact he has watched 100+ Jays games with me, attended games at Rogers Centre, and despite hearing over and over how much the Yankees suck balls (well maybe I didn't quite use THAT language with him, but you get the point).

At first I thought he was just kidding around, but it seems he is quite serious in his intent to cheer for THAT team.

What should I do? Is there any hope?? :laugh2: ****!!!

T.O.Bombinators
09-02-2010, 08:01 PM
shock therapy

H-MYK
09-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Punish him the next time he says it. I don't know what else to say except I'm loling at the tag.

lovingTO
09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Someone call Children's Aid on this man.

StealingSigns
09-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Someone call Children's Aid on this man.

But I'M the one being abused!!! :laugh:

The_905
09-02-2010, 08:08 PM
All kidding aside, maybe it's a phase and he will eventually snap out of it..

H-MYK
09-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Get him to a psychiatrist

Jays Claw
09-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Children these days do the silliest of things. :laugh2:

The_Realist
09-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Everybody likes to win. Some people like to sacrifice their morality to achieve this.

faridk89
09-02-2010, 09:07 PM
i legit laughed for 5 minutes after i read the original post...yeah man you need to have a serious sit down with your son.... best of luck to you :p

Asham
09-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Be happy. At least he didnt say he liked the Yankees and Red Sox

dtmagnet
09-02-2010, 09:34 PM
You just gotta buy him some cool Blue Jays swag hopefully that will sway him back.

idrinkpepsi
09-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Buy him a Yankees jersey of a crappy Yankees player.

carson005
09-02-2010, 10:39 PM
:clap:

Your kids smart :D

fatkev78
09-02-2010, 10:54 PM
My son uttered the words no father ever wants to hear come from their child's mouth:

I thought you were going to say that he told you he was gay......but man, THIS IS SERIOUS!

After he gets a little older and wiser he'll come around....keep taking him to those games (and not against the NYY - too many people in the crowd cheering for them).

nstojic
09-02-2010, 11:06 PM
it's time he moved out on his own...

Dol-Fan
09-02-2010, 11:09 PM
I liked the Yankees when I was 7 too, even though my dad took me to several Jays games when I was a little younger than that (and this was in the World Series days). When I was around 9 I started liking the Jays. Don't worry yet, 7 year olds can't actually think. As long as you are persistent, he will come around :)

StealingSigns
09-02-2010, 11:30 PM
:clap:

Your kids smart :D

it's time he moved out on his own...

Carson's sig and nstojic's avatar made me think about another Simpsons quote.

Abe Simpson: Lisa, go cut me a switch!

I sure hope some of you are right and this is just a phase :pray:

BlueJayFanDan
09-02-2010, 11:54 PM
If I ever have children and they pull something like that they will be abandoned at Yankee Stadium and some one else can have them. That would be my worst nightmare if I become a parent. Having a child that roots for the rivals. Hell nah. Then again my Dad never abandoned me and he is a Cleveland Browns fan while I am a Pittsburgh Steeler fan and thats a big rivalry. So I dunno.

JaysFan87
09-03-2010, 12:01 AM
i have the same problem with my nephew......i have no idea what to do....

lukeem21
09-03-2010, 12:34 AM
place this everynight for him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwLB9WxH4vc
hope something sets in

rainbowcow1
09-03-2010, 01:17 AM
It's too late. Theres no turning back now...

masTOR_shake1
09-03-2010, 02:24 AM
hopefully a phase. I remember around that age i liked the red wings just because they were winning :/ (go leafs go!!!!). I'm a psych student and would recommend that you make this a non-issue. the more you pressure him into dropping the yankees the more he might cling to them for a sense of indivuality or even spite. plus at 7 there is no wayyyyy he understands the meaning of a home team, pride or investment. plus by the time he comes into his own the jays will be a killer team :) never bring it up to him again.

lovingTO
09-03-2010, 04:37 AM
hopefully a phase. I remember around that age i liked the red wings just because they were winning :/ (go leafs go!!!!). I'm a psych student and would recommend that you make this a non-issue. the more you pressure him into dropping the yankees the more he might cling to them for a sense of indivuality or even spite. plus at 7 there is no wayyyyy he understands the meaning of a home team, pride or investment. plus by the time he comes into his own the jays will be a killer team :) never bring it up to him again.

You're a bad poster

statquo
09-03-2010, 05:08 AM
Deepest condolences. Knowing a Yankee's fan is a tough thing to deal with in the first place, but having one in the family is something hopefully I never have to deal with. Talk to a counsellor, your priest, maybe a close friend. Would an exorcism help? Perhaps. Hopefully you don't have to take it to that level but you shouldn't rule anything out.

Stay strong, stay proud. It wasn't your fault. And may God have mercy on your seven year old son's soul.

Nofear
09-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Explain to him that to become a Yankee fan, he will need to get a needle in the butt every day just like Arod and Pettitte

2009mvp
09-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Jeez, you and the wife arent cousins or something are you?

I kid of course, he's still a young fellow stay the course and he'll come around eventually. Just a matter of time before he realizes how generally insufferable Yanks and Sox fans in Toronto are.

Manatoo
09-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Just make him watch re-runs of Arod yelling at Mac to drop the ball, or Tucan Sam Posada fighting with Carlson over and over again, that should fix him.

JaysFan87
09-03-2010, 09:48 AM

ive tried that approach with my nephew and he consistently brings it up. Although that could stem from the fact that when he first told me he "loves the yankees" I promptly turned him upside and made him say "I love the blue jays" over and over again until his mom heard the screaming and came downstairs to see what was going on.

Luca68
09-03-2010, 12:27 PM
omg lmaoo that suucckkss thats always been my biggest fear when i become a father.

masTOR_shake1
09-03-2010, 12:46 PM
You're a bad poster

you're upset i won all the marbles in bad news baseball

masTOR_shake1
09-03-2010, 12:49 PM
ive tried that approach with my nephew and he consistently brings it up. Although that could stem from the fact that when he first told me he "loves the yankees" I promptly turned him upside and made him say "I love the blue jays" over and over again until his mom heard the screaming and came downstairs to see what was going on.

lol

Halladay
09-03-2010, 01:28 PM
He'll probably tell you next that he likes the Habs too...

bomber0104
09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
I can't even picture my reaction if I ever hear those words uttered by my son.. I dont have one btw

JaysFan87
09-03-2010, 03:56 PM

....he likes the pens.....:mad:

StealingSigns
09-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Oh yeah, he already did that! My father-in-law is to blame for that one. My wife's uncle played for the Habs back on those powerhouse 60's/70's teams, he won six Stanley Cups.

I am waaaay more peeved that he is a Yankees fan than a Habs fan lol

wamco
09-03-2010, 06:18 PM
tell him the jays will compete in 5 years

Jays52
09-03-2010, 06:23 PM
My wife is 6 months pregnant with our first child. (a boy) I have had the Fan 590 on the radio with headphones on my wife's belly as often as possible to get him started early. Hopefully this early exposure ensures that I never have to go what you're going through. My condolences man..

idrinkpepsi
09-03-2010, 06:38 PM

........ :mad:

Halladay
09-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Brutal. He's a bandwagoner.

Oh yeah, he already did that! My father-in-law is to blame for that one. My wife's uncle played for the Habs back on those powerhouse 60's/70's teams, he won six Stanley Cups.

I am waaaay more peeved that he is a Yankees fan than a Habs fan lol

I would be more bothered by my kid being a Habs fan then anything else. I hate the Yankees but the Habs is just not acceptable. It goes far beyond hockey in this country.

TO Rapz
09-03-2010, 09:30 PM
If I ever had a son who liked the Habs, I dont know what i would do. But the Yanks is pretty bad too, just get him a A-Rod Boogie Man life like doll with a needle up his ***, that ll scare him away from those big bad yanks.

StealingSigns
09-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm still working on the Habs thing. It's going to be hard to undo all of his grandfathers brainwashing though! I've already thrown out the jersey with no one noticing so far...

Billyen
09-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Ok this is what you do...

The same thing happened to me last year to my son when he was 9. I think he was just joking around but, you can't be too sure. I tied him up around the legs and tied his hands behind him. Using a medium sized rope...not too thick but, just enough so that he knows you care about him. Then you....(ARE YOU WRITING THIS DOWN!!!) chain him to something so he can't rolling away-in the front of the house. Light chains as you don't want the neighbors to be distributed.

Turn the lights out....go to bed and wait for the magic.

I was awaken to a sound around 3am...burglars maybe? A loose dog? No...I got up and heard like words...no it was like a song...I go to the front window and there my little boy. Sorry, I get a little emotional at this part. What do I hear????

A face pinned against the front window-
"You've got a diamond...you've got nine men....you've got ahat a bat...and that's not all....You've got the bleachers...Got'em from spring til fall....you got a dog and a drink ...and the umpire's call...Waddaya want?...Let's play ball...OK BLUE JAYS!!!..."

I never even played the song for him. Strange...

He's no longer says he's a Yankee fan...but a Jays fan.

True story.

Good luck...keep us updated.

nithanyo
09-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I would jus beat him senseless until he becomes a jays fan...... Seriously tho i would jus take him to as many jays games as posssible. Get him into the game, and more importantly make sure he loves the city hes from. Make the rivals seem like the worst thing to happen to the game. And make ur hometown team the saviors. Thats wut my dad did

GrumpyOldMan
09-04-2010, 11:29 AM
He may like the Yanks, but at least your boy likes baseball. In the early 80's both of my boys proclaimed their dislike of the game alltogether. It nearly broke my heart.

H-MYK
09-04-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm still working on the Habs thing. It's going to be hard to undo all of his grandfathers brainwashing though! I've already thrown out the jersey with no one noticing so far...

His grandfather deserves a :facepalm: from me. I've said this many times, let the parents raise the kids the way they want and leave them alone. This includes the teams that they should cheer for.

adid727
09-06-2010, 12:25 AM
tell him that the yankees are a horrible hockey team. even the Oilers will beat them.

idrinkpepsi
09-06-2010, 04:44 AM
tell him that the yankees are a horrible hockey team. even the Oilers will beat them.

Do this, and then tell him that the Nets and the Lions can beat them in basketball and football.

wamco
09-06-2010, 07:20 AM
I'd imagine kids these days would say "what's a world series?" since it starts after they go to bed

Shifty1 69
09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Ok this is what you do...

The same thing happened to me last year to my son when he was 9. I think he was just joking around but, you can't be too sure. I tied him up around the legs and tied his hands behind him. Using a medium sized rope...not too thick but, just enough so that he knows you care about him. Then you....(ARE YOU WRITING THIS DOWN!!!) chain him to something so he can't rolling away-in the front of the house. Light chains as you don't want the neighbors to be distributed.

Turn the lights out....go to bed and wait for the magic.

I was awaken to a sound around 3am...burglars maybe? A loose dog? No...I got up and heard like words...no it was like a song...I go to the front window and there my little boy. Sorry, I get a little emotional at this part. What do I hear????

A face pinned against the front window-
"You've got a diamond...you've got nine men....you've got ahat a bat...and that's not all....You've got the bleachers...Got'em from spring til fall....you got a dog and a drink ...and the umpire's call...Waddaya want?...Let's play ball...OK BLUE JAYS!!!..."

I never even played the song for him. Strange...

He's no longer says he's a Yankee fan...but a Jays fan.

True story.

Good luck...keep us updated.

Sounds reasonable....:cool:

LOL, nice post... :clap:

Shifty1 69
09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
I'd imagine kids these days would say "what's a world series?" since it starts after they go to bed

Factual post. Nothing grows the game with the young audiences in the eastern time zones like games that dont end till midnight.:facepalm::D

BlueJays_29
09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Factual post. Nothing grows the game with the young audiences in the eastern time zones like games that dont end till midnight.:facepalm::D

No kidding. I was 8 & 9 years old when the Jays were in the World Series and the only games I was allowed to stay up and watch until the end were the clinching games (Games 5 & 6 both years). Never saw Sprague home run. Never saw the end of the marathon Game 4 in '93. I think I saw the triple-play blown call, but don't recall it too vividly.