PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks looking to trade Houshmandzadeh, save over $7M

slickintern
09-02-2010, 06:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a3712c/article/seahawks-looking-to-trade-houshmandzadeh-save-over-7m?module=HP_headlines

The Seattle Seahawks like their emerging wide receivers and have made it know that veteran T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a top free-agent signing by their prior regime in 2009, is available, league sources said Thursday.

The market for Houshmandzadeh is very limited, according to the sources, for the same reason the Seahawks are looking to move him -- his salary. Houshmandzadeh is guaranteed to earn more than $7 million this season and is coming off an unproductive year. Executives with teams that are in the market for receivers say they have no interest in taking on Houshmandzadeh's contract.

Mike Williams, a former first-round draft pick with the Detroit Lions, has played himself into the picture in Seattle after two years away from football, NFL.com's Steve Wyche reports. Former Notre Dame receiver Golden Tate was drafted by the Seahawks in the second round of April's draft. And 27-year-old Brandon Jones signed with the team Aug. 22, four days after being released by the San Francisco 49ers.

Burleson81
09-02-2010, 06:25 PM
It's like Coach Carroll is playing his 1st franchise year in Madden and totally gutting the old team. He's the anti-Mora, Mora basically kept Holmgren's team intact.

Anyways, I like the idea of shopping Housh. He's an above average player, but it's worth it if they can get a value draft pick and save money. I have to buy into this build toward the future phase that the team is in.

Cheflhale
09-02-2010, 06:37 PM
******* it. Clean house. I hope we get something better than a 4th or 5th rounder. At the same time he's way overpaid and it doesn't sound like he has much trade value. I was wondering why they continued to sign recievers when we already had so many.

FWBrodie
09-02-2010, 06:45 PM
This is a clear sign that the Seahawks are still very serious about adding Vincent Jackson and his inevitable giant salary.

FWBrodie
09-02-2010, 06:45 PM
This is all about dumping salary. Don't expect anything of value in return if someone takes Housh.

FWBrodie
09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, it's "believed" the Seahawks are trying to part with T.J. Houshmandzadeh in an effort to clear salary space for Vincent Jackson.

It's an honorable idea. The Seahawks are highly unlikely to find a trade partner for Houshmandzadeh, but theoretically could release the declining veteran to get the rest of his contract off the books. They'd still be on the hook for Housh's $7 million guaranteed salary, of course, but Seattle owner Paul Allen has deep pockets. If he wants a better chance to win, he'll do it.

Rotoworld.com

Hawksfan2010
09-02-2010, 07:02 PM
I just dont like the idea of trading away our only proven reciever right now. But it is starting to look like Jackson is on his way to Seattle with everything we are doing.

Seahawk Down
09-02-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't thing T.J. is that good anyway. He's not tall, he's not fast, and him and Matt never got on the same page.

Seahawk Down
09-02-2010, 07:08 PM
How much is Branch and Jones making this year?

NateyB24
09-02-2010, 07:27 PM
I would definitley cut him any day of the week if we couldn't get value for him just to add a young piece like Vincent who could be productive for us for 5 years Housh is only goona decline considering hes 33 years old and Jackson is only 27.

JC-DA_DON
09-02-2010, 08:17 PM
it may seem wiered but shopping t.j makes more since than trading wilson.....im not mad about this at all.... were stacked at w/r....minus a prime time recivior..but besides tru. there is no proven c/b....well kelly jennings has proved his worthlessness.

Ian.
09-02-2010, 09:07 PM
it may seem wiered but shopping t.j makes more since than trading wilson.....im not mad about this at all.... were stacked at w/r....minus a prime time recivior..but besides tru. there is no proven c/b....well kelly jennings has proved his worthlessness.

:laugh2: Indeed he has.

Chacarron
09-02-2010, 09:52 PM
As long as we acquire Vincent Jackson, I'm all for letting go TJ.

Blazerfan88
09-02-2010, 10:22 PM
seems like we are going back to the old USC days big as ***** receivers

Ian.
09-02-2010, 10:28 PM
seems like we are going back to the old USC days big as ***** receivers

I have no issue there at all. Most of the consistent WR in the NFL are big dudes. Besides Steve Smith...He's just a savage.

Hawksfan2010
09-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I do agree that if this is the way we get Jackson then see ya Housh.

furmat60
09-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like this? What are you talking about when you say that Matt and Housh aren't on the same page? He was the only receiver that WAS. Even though he has a big salary, I would still keep him. Release Branch. Housh is a great #2...he would compliment Jackson very well. Paul Allen has the money.....just release Branch. Housh doens't deserve that.

Ian.
09-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like this? What are you talking about when you say that Matt and Housh aren't on the same page? He was the only receiver that WAS. Even though he has a big salary, I would still keep him. Release Branch. Housh is a great #2...he would compliment Jackson very well. Paul Allen has the money.....just release Branch. Housh doens't deserve that.

If we're dumping Housh to make room for VJax, I'm all for it. Otherwise, I don't really know if I'm comfortable without him here. Even if I do hate him.

furmat60
09-03-2010, 01:10 AM
If we're dumping to make room for VJax, get rid of Branch then.

NateyB24
09-03-2010, 01:29 AM

Because Housh is slow as heck hes just a chain mover and does not fit Bates offense worse of all hes getting payed to be a #1 while he is nothing but a #2 and in his mind he thinks hes a #1 he never was a #1 not even in cincinatti.

furmat60
09-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Because Housh is slow as heck hes just a chain mover and does not fit Bates offense worse of all hes getting payed to be a #1 while he is nothing but a #2 and in his mind he thinks hes a #1 he never was a #1 not even in cincinatti.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

FWBrodie
09-03-2010, 02:40 AM
VJAX!!!! Get it done Johnny.

FWBrodie
09-03-2010, 03:29 AM

It's about money. $7 mil guaranteed.

Come on. How can you possibly stop two 6'5" and fast receivers? Answer: you can't. NFC West titles in the bag.

FWBrodie
09-03-2010, 03:31 AM
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Eh, I'd agree with his entire post.

slickintern
09-03-2010, 04:18 AM
VJAX!!!! Get it done Johnny.

:clap:

House
09-03-2010, 04:18 AM
2 6'5" giants w/ speed + 2 speedy guys = Big headache for an opposing DEF. Not sure where Branch will fit.

With Jackson on board, our 4 main WRs will have the ages of VJax (27), BMW (27), Tate (23) and Butler (24). That's domoniation for years to come!!!

Burleson81
09-03-2010, 06:43 AM
2 6'5" giants w/ speed + 2 speedy guys = Big headache for an opposing DEF. Not sure where Branch will fit.

With Jackson on board, our 4 main WRs will have the ages of VJax (27), BMW (27), Tate (23) and Butler (24). That's domoniation for years to come!!!

That would be great. But at what cost? I wonder what SD is asking for.

JC-DA_DON
09-03-2010, 06:58 AM
if we did get rid of housh and get vj im all for it.....but please dont get rid of tj for nothin...and nothing back...but the idea vj and mike is scary to think of for opposing def. if we cant get jackson, i would hate to see housh go, he had decent numbers with a terrible line and a bum for a qb!
dont hate on houuusshhhh

Ian.
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Totally off topic here...Do any of you play fantasy football? I saw Mike Williams' projections on ESPN and they have him at like 6 catches for 67 yards ON THE SEASON.

I've done three drafts so far and not one has he been drafted in. Do I just have super high expections or is he a massive sleeper?

VJ18
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
sorry to jump off subject but is Mike Williams a starter now!?

Ian.
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
sorry to jump off subject but is Mike Williams a starter now!?

Read my post right above yours. I assume that's why you (a Patriots fan?) is asking.

VJ18
09-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Read my post right above yours. I assume that's why you (a Patriots fan?) is asking.

im a bears fan who hand cuffs Brady and Moss in FF, but i drafted Williams and heard reports he was set to do 500-800 yards with 5-8 Tds

Ian.
09-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I really think Williams could have a big year. It you're drafting him in the last few rounds, it's not gonna hurt you anyway.

House
09-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Totally off topic here...Do any of you play fantasy football? I saw Mike Williams' projections on ESPN and they have him at like 6 catches for 67 yards ON THE SEASON.

I've done three drafts so far and not one has he been drafted in. Do I just have super high expections or is he a massive sleeper?

I have grabbed him in the 16th rd of all 4 of my drafts!!! No one expexted this much out of him. SLEEPER written all over him!!!

House
09-03-2010, 12:34 PM
This is just an OPEN question, NO rumor or No validity to this!!!

My close friend (a Skins fan) was wondering what people thought about a Housh/pieces for a Haynesworth/pieces trade...

Rumor is AH might be deactivated for Week 1 due to his ongoing feud with Coach Shanahan. IMO, AH would be an upgrade at DT and help our d-line overall, but I'd be worried about his drama he COULD bring. AH is due $5M this season so we wouldn't be cutting much.

I think if we're shopping TJ to make room for VJax, we should get a pick or something. I would think a 4th or 5th is all we'd get, but that's better than cutting him. I have seen reports saying we'd more than likely just keep him vs cutting him if we can't get anything for him!

Thoughts???

VJ18
09-03-2010, 02:06 PM

My close friend (a Skins fan) was wondering what people thought about a Housh/pieces for a Haynesworth/pieces trade...

Rumor is AH might be deactivated for Week 1 due to his ongoing feud with Coach Shanahan. IMO, AH would be an upgrade at DT and help our d-line overall, but I'd be worried about his drama he COULD bring. AH is due $5M this season so we wouldn't be cutting much.

I think if we're shopping TJ to make room for VJax, we should get a pick or something. I would think a 4th or 5th is all we'd get, but that's better than cutting him. I have seen reports saying we'd more than likely just keep him vs cutting him if we can't get anything for him!

Thoughts???

as a seahawk, pats, bears fan im all over this

Ian.
09-03-2010, 02:37 PM
I have grabbed him in the 16th rd of all 4 of my drafts!!! No one expexted this much out of him. SLEEPER written all over him!!!

I didn't even need to draft him. I picked him up after the draft from free agency. WIN!

NateyB24
09-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Thoughts???

In one way i like this but in another way it could be bad because Haynesworth would try to get away with stuff with Caroll.

House
09-03-2010, 02:40 PM
I didn't even need to draft him. I picked him up after the draft from free agency. WIN!

U had to drop someone to get him, so it was the same!!!

Ian.
09-03-2010, 02:43 PM
U had to drop someone to get him, so it was the same!!!

Well, I was able to wait until I found a guy that either lost his job or got injured.

House
09-03-2010, 02:44 PM
In one way i like this but in another way it could be bad because Haynesworth would try to get away with stuff with Caroll.

I know. That's my concern. I say acquire a pick (if possible), because we're gonna have to give up picks to grab VJax!

broncosfan4ever
09-03-2010, 03:16 PM
This could be the thing you guys have been waiting for. Move T.J. to San Diego with a third and fifth round draft pick in exchange for Vincent Jackson.

Just a thought.

W@rH@wk
09-03-2010, 03:34 PM
If we can land Vincent Jackson then I'm completely for it. Haynesworth wouldn't be awful either.

House
09-03-2010, 03:41 PM
This could be the thing you guys have been waiting for. Move T.J. to San Diego with a third and fifth round draft pick in exchange for Vincent Jackson.

Just a thought.

That would be great. Don't think they're interested in him though

Cheflhale
09-03-2010, 03:51 PM

Just a thought.

Unless we just recently traded for a third round pick, we don't have one.

NateyB24
09-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Unless we just recently traded for a third round pick, we don't have one.

They could take a 2012 3rd rounder. Heres some good take by Sando on the Housh situation.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Seattle Seahawks

The veteran wide receiver told reporters Thursday night that he's aware the team is open to trading him.

This was a forced marriage. The Seahawks are rebuilding and going with young players in quite a few positions. They like what they've seen from receivers Mike Williams, Golden Tate and Deon Butler in particular, and Deion Branch appears to be on relatively solid footing.

Houshmandzadeh turns 33 this month and he is nearly two years older than Branch. He's also a strong personality and very much an independent thinker. He sometimes puts his own feelings ahead of the team in ways that create a negative impression. For example, he complained about not getting enough passes thrown his way last season and seemed to question the toughness of quarterback Matt Hasselbeck. More recently, his body language conveyed sulking after Hasselbeck threw incomplete to Branch during a team scrimmage.

Trading Houshmandzadeh appears unrealistic because the receiver's contract includes $7 million in guaranteed salary for 2010. Any team acquiring Houshmandzadeh would also acquire the contract -- plus the strong personality and independent thinking. Houshmandzadeh has value, but not for every team and not at any price.

The guaranteed money in Houshmandzadeh's contract allows him to sit back and let the situation play out. Would the Seahawks release him anyway, eating the $7 million? That wouldn't make much sense for the team financially, but the Seahawks have shown they'll lose money when they feel strongly enough about the need for change (Jim Mora is still collecting millions from the team).

Releasing Houshmandzadeh might not make much sense from a short-term football standpoint, given that Houshmandzadeh is easily the most proven receiver on the team. He wasn't great last season, but he still caught 79 passes, tied for fifth-most in franchise history and matching Steve Largent's career high.

Then again, the Seahawks are rebuilding. They have some young talent at the position. Williams appears ready to do the things Houshmandzadeh has done as a perimeter receiver, but he's younger and bigger. Moving Houshmandzadeh primarily to the slot could make sense, but the Seahawks have options there, too, with Branch, Butler and Tate.

The Seahawks' new leadership has some leeway in reshaping the roster to its liking. Houshmandzadeh doesn't fit. Releasing him could be an option.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/26971/waiting-games-leinart-houshmandzadeh

I do admit T.J is a talented player but his body language during games does really make me annoyed.

Ian.
09-03-2010, 04:04 PM
They could take a 2012 3rd rounder. Heres some good take by Sando on the Housh situation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/26971/waiting-games-leinart-houshmandzadeh

I do admit T.J is a talented player but his body language during games does really make me annoyed.

I've hated Housh for his entire career. He's just a complete *******.

FWBrodie
09-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Mike Williams is like a bulging tire being pumped way beyond it's limit with sleeperness. He's about to explode.

FWBrodie
09-03-2010, 04:08 PM
If you're gonna eat $7 million, this uncapped year is the time to do it. This is one of those times when having a gatrillionaire owner can payoff.

FWBrodie
09-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Just a thought.

If the Chargers had ANY interest in Houshmendzadeh this would have been done a month ago.

House
09-03-2010, 04:41 PM
If you're gonna eat $7 million, this uncapped year is the time to do it. This is one of those times when having a gatrillionaire owner can payoff.

Great point. Paul Allen has the $$$ laying around and he'll get that $$$ back when SEA dominates again!!!

If the Chargers had ANY interest in Houshmendzadeh this would have been done a month ago.

My exact thought as well

bruser23
09-03-2010, 04:56 PM
I think Pete has to set the standard, if he's looking to shop TJ. He needs to do it before the start of the season, or even Saturday. Worse case we out right cut him.

It has to get done soon we don't need that weight starting the season. other possibilities, he sits on the bench and we wait until the trade deadline.

Seattle4Ever
09-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Cut!

House
09-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Cut!

Where'd you see that? I just posted in another thread... Apparently 4-5 teams have made trade offers

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-09-04/tj-houshmandzadeh-reportedly-out-in-seattle

NateyB24
09-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Jets,Chargers,Vikes,Cardinals all interested in TJ.

Per a league source, the Vikings, Jets, Chargers and Cardinals have made trade offers with the Seahawks for Houshmandzadeh

http://www.seahawkaddicts.com/

You gotta admit it would be funny to see him on Hard Knocks lol. Maybe Chargers can work something out with Jackson deal but we would most likely have to give something else up. There probaly not even offering that much but they will take the best offer just to get the 7Million dollars owed to Housh off there hands.

ThUnDeR HaWk
09-04-2010, 04:18 AM
whatever happens, it should be a very interesting day for the seahawks organization with lots of roster moves.

Blazerfan88
09-04-2010, 11:35 AM
when im done watching college football this site better be lit up with roster moves and trades

furmat60
09-04-2010, 01:15 PM
when im done watching college football this site better be lit up with roster moves and trades

Agreed! Here is to hoping that Washington kills BY-WHO!

House
09-04-2010, 01:29 PM
All the "apparently" interested teams are bailing out!!! I was hoping we could trade him. Looks like that might be wishful thinking.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/teams/nfc/seattle-seahawks/

Ian.
09-04-2010, 01:32 PM
All the "apparently" interested teams are bailing out!!! I was hoping we could trade him. Looks like that might be wishful thinking.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/teams/nfc/seattle-seahawks/

Well, why would they stay if he's just going to be cut anyways?

thehands816
09-04-2010, 02:00 PM
NO TRADE! TJ HAS BEEN CUT!

Chris Mortensen:

Filed to ESPN on another expected move: TJ Houshmanzadeh has been cut

http://twitter.com/mortreport

Seattle4Ever
09-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Where'd you see that? I just posted in another thread... Apparently 4-5 teams have made trade offers

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-09-04/tj-houshmandzadeh-reportedly-out-in-seattle

Sorry I was just speculating to what's gonna happen. I'd like to be optimistic but...

House
09-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Well, why would they stay if he's just going to be cut anyways?

Last night John Clayton was saying it was possible they'd keep him because of the $ and try to trade him IF the roster spot wasn't going to be an issue. (We didn't get VJax yet and that 53rd spot was open).

House
09-04-2010, 02:26 PM
That's done and over with. Let's get VJax in a SEA uniform now!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/04/seahawks-release-tj-houshmandzadeh/

slickintern
09-04-2010, 02:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5531522

he has just been cut!

The Seattle Seahawks has cut wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a team source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

NFL Transactions
Stay up-to-date on all NFL transactions as teams pare down their rosters to the 53-man limit by 6 p.m. ET Saturday. Transactions

• NFL Nation blog: Cutdown analysis

The Seahawks signed Houshmanzadeh to a five-year, $40 million contract last off-season, and Seattle will wind up having paid him $15 million for his one season with the Seahawks.

The 32-year-old Houshmanzadeh caught 79 passes last season and will be a bargain for another team this season.

Likely replacing Houshmandzadeh in the starting lineup will be former Detroit first-round draft pick Mike Williams.

The USC standout has impressed his former college coach Pete Carroll and will likely start opposite Deion Branch, with Deon Butler and Golden Tate as reserves.

slickintern
09-04-2010, 03:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5531522

he has just been cut!

The Seattle Seahawks has cut wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a team source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

NFL Transactions
Stay up-to-date on all NFL transactions as teams pare down their rosters to the 53-man limit by 6 p.m. ET Saturday. Transactions

NFL Nation blog: Cutdown analysis

The Seahawks signed Houshmanzadeh to a five-year, $40 million contract last off-season, and Seattle will wind up having paid him $15 million for his one season with the Seahawks.

The 32-year-old Houshmanzadeh caught 79 passes last season and will be a bargain for another team this season.

Likely replacing Houshmandzadeh in the starting lineup will be former Detroit first-round draft pick Mike Williams.

The USC standout has impressed his former college coach Pete Carroll and will likely start opposite Deion Branch, with Deon Butler and Golden Tate as reserves.

haha damn you all beat me too it!!:facepalm:

FWBrodie
09-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Great hands, terrible attitude, excrutiatingly slow. He's far too one-dimensional to be making the kind of money he would have been making. Maybe now he realizes he's not the caliber of receiver he always thought he was.