PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most reliable Bench player for team USA?

D Roses Bulls
09-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Pretty simple..... who do you think is the most consistent and helps the most coming off the bench?

SteveNash
09-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Where is the none of the above option?

D Roses Bulls
09-01-2010, 07:24 PM

lol..... so you dont think none of them have a effect coming off the bench? what about what love did today?

Slimsim
09-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Love all day every day

effen5
09-01-2010, 07:27 PM

x2

Gators123
Love

SteveNash
lol..... so you dont think none of them have a effect coming off the bench? what about what love did today?

Love is reliably bad defensively I guess.

D Roses Bulls
09-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Love is reliably bad defensively I guess.

i see where you are coming from though, cause the bench has been pretty terrible. I just took it from a ESPN poll.

oOo Rhino oOo
09-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Westbrook should be starting

D Roses Bulls
09-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Westbrook should be starting

over who? he cant exactly shoot as good as billups and he's not better then rose.

tcav701
09-01-2010, 07:38 PM
over who? he cant exactly shoot as good as billups and he's not better then rose.

I'd give Billups and Gordon a try to start the game.

we know Rose has the talent but he has been awful running the offense and has more TO's than assists the last 2 games. It's like the guy is allergic to passing or playing D.

Klivlend
09-01-2010, 07:41 PM

we know Rose has the talent but he has been awful running the offense and has more TO's than assists the last 2 games. It's like the guy is allergic to passing or playing D.

hahaha! I found that funny. But, be careful. Comments like that will upset a lot of people. D. Rose is taken very seriously on PSD. Now you can't say you haven't been warned.

Baller1
09-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I voted Westbrook because I'm a homer, but I'd probably give it to Love realistically.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Love and its not even close. His per minute/per possession numbers are sick

tcav701
09-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Other than Durant, Love has been the best player on the team.

D1JM
09-01-2010, 07:55 PM

Billups runs the offense not rose

tcav701
09-01-2010, 08:01 PM

So then we have a 2 gaurd that cant shoot the 3?

Kashmir13579
09-01-2010, 08:08 PM
gordon over love

Kashmir13579
09-01-2010, 08:09 PM
hahaha! I found that funny. But, be careful. Comments like that will upset a lot of people. D. Rose is taken very seriously on PSD. Now you can't say you haven't been warned.

+1:laugh2:

HakeemTheDream
09-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Kevin Love and it's not even close. Imo Coach K would be idiotic not to make him a starter

D1JM
09-01-2010, 08:13 PM
So then we have a 2 gaurd that cant shoot the 3?

Billups shouldn't even be starting. He is shooting 33% and 18 percent from the three. Rose has to improve his defense and improve his range, but rose isn't the only one turning the ball over, everyone is

Edit: 38% not 33%

D1JM
09-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Kevin Love and it's not even close. Imo Coach K would be idiotic not to make him a starter

It should be love over odom.

tcav701
09-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Billups shouldn't even be starting. He is shooting 33% and 18 percent from the three. Rose has to improve his defense and improve his range, but rose isn't the only one turning the ball over, everyone is.

But that all starts with the PG. It is his job to find good looks for his teamates. Clear looks would increase FG% and decrease TO's. If Rose and Billups can't do so, they don't belong on the floor.

And the difference between Billups shooting and Rose's shooting in this tournament is you know Chaunceys low FG% from 3 is a fluke.

tcav701
09-01-2010, 08:18 PM
It should be love over odom.

without question.

I think this change is made next game.

WolvesJagsOs
09-01-2010, 08:18 PM
gordon over love

Gordon has been awsome, but your crazy if you think he has been better than Klove, like CRAZY.

tredigs
09-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Billups shouldn't even be starting. He is shooting 33% and 18 percent from the three. Rose has to improve his defense and improve his range, but rose isn't the only one turning the ball over, everyone is.

True, but when your starting PG has is posting a 1:1 assist/TO ratio and playing weak D against 4 poor teams (while the offense has been stagnant and lacking flow), it's a time for concern. If I were them, I would look to start Curry. He's a much more willing and better passer than Rose, and we could use his range in the starting lineup while getting some decent minutes to get his flow going.

They probably won't do that on account of Rose's "star" factor and the nature of how that plays into USA Teams, but they should.

The best bench players have been Gordon and Westbrook for the guards (working with Love to give them a much needed spark at times) and Love for the bigs. He's killing the glass big time, and he hasn't been as poor defensively as some are suggesting. Though pretty poor nonetheless; which is probably a big reason why K is so reluctant to keep him out there.

As for who's been the best overall; KD is in another class from everyone in the FIBA tournament all together.

D1JM
09-01-2010, 08:27 PM
True, but when your starting PG has is posting a 1:1 assist/TO ratio and playing weak D against 4 poor teams (while the offense has been stagnant and lacking flow), it's a time for concern. If I were them, I would look to start Curry. He's a much more willing and better passer than Rose, and we could use his range in the starting lineup while getting some decent minutes to get his flow going.

They probably won't do that on account of Rose's "star" factor and the nature of how that plays into USA Teams, but they should.

The best bench players have been Gordon and Westbrook for the guards (working with Love to give them a much needed spark at times) and Love for the bigs; killing the glass big time, and he hasn't been as poor defensively as some are suggesting. Though pretty poor nonetheless, which is probably a big reason why K is so reluctant to keep him out there.

As for who's been the best overall; KD is in another class from everyone in the FIBA tournament all together.

Curry has been a non factor from three point range. Rose plays with billups who runs the offense.

tredigs
09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Curry has been a non factor from three point range. Rose plays with billups who runs the offense.

Curry's the best shooter on Team USA, and probably top ten in the world. If he gets more than ten minutes a game in order to get a little flow going - rather than playing spot minutes here and there - I don't think there's any question that he will be a factor from three. I'd rather see Curry running the point alongside Billups, in order to keep them strong defensively and have premiere perimeter shooting from 3 different players in the starting lineup (Curry/Billups/KD). Rose would be a great spark off the bench along with Westbrook (Westbrook point/Rose at the 2).

oOo Rhino oOo
09-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Westbrook should start over rose. Rose can run his own offensive off the bench. Westbrook and Durant have a better chemistry and a have better success

D1JM
09-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Curry's the best shooter on Team USA, and probably top ten in the world. If he gets more than ten minutes a game in order to get a little flow going rather than playing spot minutes here and there, I don't think there's any question that he will be a factor from three. I'd rather see Curry running the point alongside Billups, in order to keep them strong defensively and have premiere perimeter shooting from 3 different players in the starting lineup (Curry/Billups/KD). Rose would be a great spark off the bench along with Westbrook (Westbrook point/Rose at the 2).

so you'll rather pair two slashers together coming off the bench? (westbrook/rose) Curry isnt shooting that well in fiba tournament if you havent noticed. Maybe that is a big reason why westbrook/gordon and rose play more

D1JM
09-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Westbrook should start over rose. Rose can run his own offensive off the bench. Westbrook and Durant have a better chemistry and a have better success

once again, westbrook wouldnt handle the ball if billups is in. Everything goes through billups

Algmuskrats
09-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Love currently but I think its just because of the teams were versing are easy.

thekmp211
my only worry with curry is defending starters, and as someone pointed out rose does deliver a unique ability to penetrate the true zone. he just doesn't always make the right decision after he gets through.

also agree that curry can't be judged on his shooting here because he hasn't played enough. the 3 point line for guys like him, kd and gordon is a joke. he will produce with a chance.

as i've said before, eric gordon and kevin love should be eating up iggy/odom minutes. if we are going to start small, give me the rebounding/shooting/outlet passing stud as opposed to the dribbling, brick-laying lazy defending hybrid headache.

anyone know why danny granger hasn't been playing?

tredigs
so you'll rather pair two slashers together coming off the bench? (westbrook/rose) Curry isnt shooting that well in fiba tournament if you havent noticed. Maybe that is a big reason why westbrook/gordon and rose play more

Westbrook and Rose do not have to come in at the same time - they can stagger the subs. And again, with minutes and continuity with his teammates, Curry's shot would start falling; I can guarantee that. His playmaking ability and willingness to pass is what I'm most concerned with, anyway.

Bottom line is that Billups + Rose are not running an effective offense, and if I were coaching this team, I'd look to make some adjustments in the frontcourt. And those are the adjustments I would make.

tcav701
once again, westbrook wouldnt handle the ball if billups is in. Everything goes through billups

I think the one thing we can all agree on is no matter who gets put in the starting lineup, someone new deserves a chance.

I know you are a Rose fan but hes simply not getting the job done. He is starting to become a liability and this is about whats best for the country and not Rose's confidence.

Team USA owes Rose nothing.

jackdawson
09-01-2010, 08:45 PM

The best bench players have been Gordon and Westbrook for the guards (working with Love to give them a much needed spark at times) and Love for the bigs. He's killing the glass big time, and he hasn't been as poor defensively as some are suggesting. Though pretty poor nonetheless; which is probably a big reason why K is so reluctant to keep him out there.

Agreed. I would rather try Westbrook or Curry and bench Rose. The offense was stagnant. Rose is not the ideal pass first point guard. He also can't shoot from three. Curry could be deadly from three if given stable minutes to play. Westbrook is a better passer and we all know how a Durant-Brook combo works.

D1JM
09-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I think the one thing we can all agree on is no matter who gets put in the starting lineup, someone new deserves a chance.

I know you are a Rose fan but hes simply not getting the job done. He is starting to become a liability and this is about whats best for the country and not Rose's confidence.

Team USA owes Rose nothing.

a liability? The guy is shooting 64%. I am not trying to say rose should deserve to start or not because coach k probably knows a lot more than what we know, but stating that rose is a liability? His a liability because he has four less assist than billups?

tcav701
09-01-2010, 08:55 PM
a liability? The guy is shooting 64%. I am not trying to say rose should deserve to start or not because coach k probably knows a lot more than what we know, but stating that rose is a liability? His a liability because he has four less assist than billups?

He's been one dimensional. The high FG% is a plus but alot of those are break away layups/dunks. His lack of defense and turnovers far outweigh the positives he has brought to the table.

tredigs
09-01-2010, 09:00 PM
He's been one dimensional. The high FG% is a plus but alot of those are break away layups/dunks. His lack of defense and turnovers far outweigh the positives he has brought to the table.

Exactly this.

He would be an amazing spark off the bench. But from everything we've seen in the exhibitions plus the first 4 tourney games, he should not be running our offense along with Billups at this point. It's not a knock on him, but we just have better options available to make this team click right.

It's not his offense I'm worried about. It's almost like seeing Monta Ellis out there, if you get what I'm saying; High scorer/solid FG%, but ruins the flow of the offense and plays poor D. And is a net negative as a result.

D1JM
09-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Exactly this.

He would be an amazing spark off the bench. But from everything we've seen in the exhibitions plus the first 4 tourney games, he should not be running our offense along with Billups at this point. It's not a knock on him, but we just have better options available to make this team click right.

It's not his offense I'm worried about. It's almost like seeing Monta Ellis out there, if you get what I'm saying; High scorer/solid FG%, but ruins the flow of the offense and plays poor D. And is a net negative as a result.

He has to improve on his defense, but you guys make it seem it's just him. On pick and rolls we r getting beat everysingle time. One question, how exactly does he ruin the flow of offense if he is the third/4th option behind durant and billups?

tcav701
09-01-2010, 09:12 PM
He has to improve on his defense, but you guys make it seem it's just him. On pick and rolls we r getting beat everysingle time. One question, how exactly does he ruin the flow of offense if he is the third/4th option behind durant and billups?

Because he gets the ball and immediately attempts to dribble through a zone thus turning the ball over.

BTW Rose has been the 2nd option.

I'm not tryin to say Billups hasnt been bad too but his shot WILL fall. He just needs someone to get him a good look. Luckily Durant hasnt needed a playmaker to get his shot off or we'd be in big trouble.

tredigs
09-01-2010, 09:17 PM

It's not just him; and if I were to have my choice - the starting lineup would be:

PG: Curry
SG: Westbrook
SF: KD
PF: Love
C: Chandler

^Against teams with tough bigs.

PG: Curry
SG: Westbrook
SF: Igoudala
PF: Durant
C: Love

^For teams with smaller bigs.

Both Rose and Billups are not playing effective pass-first ball, so let's get some guys in there that are more willing to do that (Westbrook + KD is a known quantity that we aren't exploiting enough).

D1JM
09-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Because he gets the ball and immediately attempts to dribble through a zone thus turning the ball over.

BTW Rose has been the 2nd option.

I'm not tryin to say Billups hasnt been bad too but his shot WILL fall. He just needs someone to get him a good look. Luckily Durant hasnt needed a playmaker to get his shot off or we'd be in big trouble.

Lol durant has turned the ball over more than rose. However, I guess it's rose fault for everything on offense and defense from what I've been reading. I guess coach k is an idiot for playing him, especially those last minutes against brazil, were he scored the last 4 out of 6 points of team USA. Yup he is a liability. Moreover, if rose was to go to the bench, Gordon deserves to start over curry and Westbrook.

Lokthug101
09-01-2010, 09:23 PM
What u guys r joking Rudy gay hands Down brings energ and he get so much blocks and his energy Kevin love is prob 2nd tho give Rudy his crdit he makes te 2nd team go Russel masked the turnovers

D1JM
09-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Btw who cares who starts and who comes off the bench. As long as we keep winning

tcav701
09-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Lol durant has turned the ball over more than rose. However, I guess it's rose fault for everything on offense and defense from what I've been reading. I guess coach k is an idiot for playing him, especially those last minutes against brazil, were he scored the last 4 out of 6 points of team USA. Yup he is a liability. Moreover, if rose was to go to the bench, Gordon deserves to start over curry and Westbrook.

C'mon man.

Nobody is passing the ball and TO's are too high for everyone. But it is the point guards job to move the ball effectively and get people good looks. Not pass it to someone and play isolation, find catch and shoot situations and effetively decreasing TO's. This is the point gaurds main purpose.

As far as defense goes, the interior defense has been bad, but Rose has laid down a red carpet to the hoop for 3rd world PGs that won't sniff the NBA. When he lets someon blow by him he leaves the undersized front court out to dry and guys like Odom have to pick up the foul.

There are alot of issues and Rose is not the ONLY one to blame. However, he is the biggest issue considering what is expected of him and the direct opposite which is his performance.

i want what's best for the team and if having a player I like take some mins off to benifit the team I am all for it.

tredigs
09-01-2010, 09:32 PM

He has ONE more turnover than Rose bud, and has as many assists as Rose. That's not exactly what you want from your teams go to scorer at SF/PF. He also plays great D and knows when to pass/when to give it up. Rose isn't KD, we need the guy to distribute at a MUCH higher level than he has been. Top 5 PG in the league? Needs to start showing it. I have a feeling he's going to continue to get the chance, so I hope he doesn't help run us out of this tournament with his/our lack of offensive continuity (I'd blame K, not him).

Done arguing this btw. Not going to get anywhere in a debate concerning Rose with a dude who idolizes him at the level you apparently do.

SteveNash
09-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Even Rose fans should agree that Rose needs to be more aggressive. He can't coast through entire quarters at times like he has been doing.

NYKalltheway
09-01-2010, 09:34 PM
It has to be between Love, Westbrook and Gordon.
Curry is not used much (he'd be a very good choice, can't see why not use him)

Westbrook adds more fluency in offense, while Rose just goes 1 on 1 etc...
Gordon is a great shooter to have as a role player, but USA has lots of scorers.

Kevin Love is the "surprise" player. When the game matters most, you;ll have Kevin Durant in offense, and in tight situations, you need someone who can grab those boards. Love has proved he can, so he is definitely the most useful so far.

Westbrook might have some turnovers but it happens to everyone. He's #3. Between Gordon and Love, I'd say it's Love, because he does a lot more in just a matter of some minutes. Gordon needs the opportunity, Love creates an opportunity (by grabbing the boards I mean, not passing skills)

oOo Rhino oOo
09-01-2010, 09:43 PM
PG: Westbrook
SG: Curry or billups
SF: KD
PF: Love
C: ?

loufor2
09-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Other than Durant, Love has been the best player on the team.

Billups has.

loufor2
09-01-2010, 09:45 PM

since when? Rose usually has the ball. He always dribbles into traffic and makes sloppy one handed passes.

TheTakeOver24
09-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Answer to the poll: K Love... Kid contributes effectively without even getting the ball.
Now to the DRose discussion: i know that he is probably the best NBA guard on this team... But i dont think he belongs on this team USA roster. I think Westbrook is a better energy guy off the bench than Rose is... I also think Curry's shooting would be very valuable in the starting lineup.
As the DRose fan unintentionally pointed out... rose is turning the ball over way too much for a guy who isnt being counted on to be the teams primary point guard. Billups shot will definitely improve and his experience is very valuable for the starting lineup.

tcav701
09-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Billups has.

loufor2
09-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Btw who cares who starts and who comes off the bench. As long as we keep winning

...We barely won the other day...We have been facing scrub competition. The offence has to run a lot more smoothly if we are going to beat the good teams.

loufor2
09-01-2010, 09:56 PM

He is second on the team in scoring, leads the team in assists, and is a good leader with his presence out on the floor. I know he isn't shooting well now, but his shots will start to fall.

tcav701
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
He is second on the team in scoring, leads the team in assists, and is a good leader with his presence out on the floor. I know he isn't shooting well now, but his shots will start to fall.

I agree with you 100%.

However, what Love is doing in his limited time on the floor is dominant.

Sir Buckets
09-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Poll: Love

DRose stuff: If anything, Billups should lose his spot as a starter. We should run with either a Curry/Rose or Rose/Gordon backcourt to start the game.

Seriously, screw Chauncey's "leadership" and "veteran presence". Those intangibles are great and all, but we need production too. He's been shooting 18% from 3 and 39% overall. I would say that the 2nd unit needs his guidance more.

And everyone needs to stop magnifying Rose's mistakes. The only person on the team that has a better overall FG% is Tyson Chandler, and that's like an outlier. Nobody has a higher 2pt % than him, and his 33% 3pt shooting is solid. Also, this stuff about him not being a willing passer is just absurd. That said, he isn't perfect... his defense, turnovers, and creating for others all need improvement. That said, he deserves to be starting and will be more and more important to our team as we get deeper and deeper into the tournament.

And Love should get more playing time.

tcav701
09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Poll: Love

DRose stuff: If anything, Billups should lose his spot as a starter. We should run with either a Curry/Rose or Rose/Gordon backcourt to start the game.

Seriously, screw Chauncey's "leadership" and "veteran presence". Those intangibles are great and all, but we need production too. He's been shooting 18% from 3 and 39% overall. I would say that the 2nd unit needs his guidance more.

And everyone needs to stop magnifying Rose's mistakes. The only person on the team that has a better overall FG% is Tyson Chandler, and that's like an outlier. Nobody has a higher 2pt % than him, and his 33% 3pt shooting is solid. Also, this stuff about him not being a willing passer is just absurd. That said, he isn't perfect... his defense, turnovers, and creating for others all need improvement. That said, he deserves to be starting and will be more and more important to our team as we get deeper and deeper into the tournament.

And Love should get more playing time.

Thats called a contridiction.

Rose is not playing his position effectively period.

But its useless to argue reality about Rose to his following so I give up. You people need a clue. If you didnt WATCH the games don't comment because you are lost.

JamaicanYouth
09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Just because love had 1 good game he became the most reliable all of a sudden? lmao funny how short PSDer's memories are

tcav701
09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Just because love had 1 good game he became the most reliable all of a sudden? lmao funny how short PSDer's memories are

He's been pretty damn consistent when he gets his chances.

Sir Buckets
09-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Thats called a contridiction.

Rose is not playing his position effectively period.

But its useless to argue reality about Rose to his following so I give up. You people need a clue. If you didnt WATCH the games don't comment because you are lost.- lol, I didn't say "Rose has been terrible in every facet of the game, but he deserves to start"

- Yes, Rose could be playing the PG position better in this tournament, but you should also look at the stuff he's doing exceptionally well, as well.

I think one of the things that would work really well would be Curry starting at the 1 and Rose at the 2. They can split PG duties 65/35 or something like that. That way, we get the best of both worlds: Curry's shooting and play-making ability, and Rose's slashing and shooting.

Also, Coach K needs to step his **** up. We need a better half-court offense.

- You're right, I haven't watched a single game. :rolleyes:

tcav701
09-01-2010, 10:48 PM
- lol, I didn't say "Rose has been terrible in every facet of the game, but he deserves to start"

- Yes, Rose could be playing the PG position better in this tournament, but you should also look at the stuff he's doing exceptionally well, as well.

I think one of the things that would work really well would be Curry starting at the 1 and Rose at the 2. They can split PG duties 65/35 or something like that. That way, we get the best of both worlds: Curry's shooting and play-making ability, and Rose's slashing and shooting.

Also, Coach K needs to step his **** up. We need a better half-court offense.

- You're right, I haven't watched a single game. :rolleyes:

See what happens when you jump off his **** a bit....

This is a quality post and I don't disagree with much here. That being said, I am going to leave this thread be before another Bulls fans blindly defends Rose and calls everyone who watched today's game haters.

dwadefan03
09-01-2010, 11:14 PM
i think its westbrook...hes great defensively

JRisdabest
09-01-2010, 11:35 PM
eric jordan :)