PDA

View Full Version : Falling Stars? Decline in Production this season

td0tsfinest
09-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Amar'e Stoudemire (Knicks): He lost Steve Nash and he gained a potentially hostile crowd. Those are the hazards facing Stoudemire in his new digs. The Nash factor is very real; Stoudemire owes a bunch of his highlights to a point guard who excelled in the pick-and-roll and knew how to deliver the ball. As for the New York atmosphere, it might get gruesome should the Knicks falter and/or their new big man fail to meet the steep expectations. If you recall, Stoudemire was a bit touchy last spring when he was called out in the postseason. Therefore, is he too sensitive to deal with media that's triple the size of what he saw in Phoenix, and twice as skeptical?

Vince Carter (Magic): This may be a contract year for Carter, and if that doesn't motivate him, nothing will. The scenario in Orlando doesn't favor his odds of getting an extension. He shot 43 percent during the season and 40 in a poor postseason. Plus, J.J. Redick is poised to make a push for the starting job. Clearly, the Magic are ready to move on, if Redick does cut significantly into Carter's minutes. Anyway, Carter's best years were in Toronto and New Jersey. His stop in Orlando mirrors many others who migrate to Florida. They come to slow down and eventually retire.

Yao Ming (Rockets): After missing all last season and limping through stretches of recent seasons, can he ever be a 20 and 10 guy again? It is possible Yao can shake off the rust and be an All-Star. Or, his best years are well behind him. Nothing is certain for a player who could have revolutionized the center position had he stayed healthy from foot and knee issues. Instead, his health will remain a question until his body demonstrates otherwise. Also, his surroundings are a bit different than the years spent with Tracy McGrady, a tandem wrecked by injuries to both players.

Tony Parker (Spurs): It's a contract year for Parker, and therefore, risky to say he's headed for a spill. But it's also undeniable that his numbers fell across the board last season. And would you say, without hesitation, that this is the same Parker of two seasons ago, when he posted career highs of 22.0 points and 6.9 assists a game? If Parker were still on top of his game, would the Spurs think about listening to offers for him (as they supposedly did this summer)? Or wait before giving him an extension? Parker is certainly not old (only 28) or in his twilight (he's one of the top five or six point guards), but perhaps not as dangerous as before. With George Hill hungry for playing time (and eventually, money), Parker has every reason to turn back the clock.

Baron Davis (Clippers): In two seasons with the Clippers, Davis has shot 39 percent and averaged 15 points a game. That's not the kind of production the Clippers thought they'd get after handing him the big bucks. Just the same, Davis thought he'd be playing with Elton Brand. Regardless, something's seems amiss in this marriage, at least so far. The Clippers can only hope Davis is motivated by a lineup that welcomes Blake Griffin.

J.R. Smith (Nuggets): Great skills, fragile maturity. Those warring factions have kept Smith from his true potential. One episode is usually followed by another with Smith, who can't seem to shake drama. He averaged 15.4 points a game last season, the highest of his career, and was a legit sixth-man candidate. Then he followed it up with a scuffle this summer. He's in a contract year, but can money set him straight?

Kevin Garnett (Celtics): KG managed to ignore body aches and the persistent pull of gravity to come up big in spurts during the playoffs and The Finals. But anyone can plainly see KG is slowly regressing from All-Star level. He still has the will and the smarts to outplay most big men, but is exposed over the season and playoffs. At this point, the days of KG getting 20 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks a night are likely gone.

Lamar Odom (Lakers): His shooting percentage and scoring average has dipped the last three years, and he seemed noticeably average during the championship run. Odom still has value to the Lakers as a rebounder, but the rest of his game has faltered. Once the Lakers cease winning championships, his weaknesses will become magnified. And that could happen this season.

Mo Williams (Cavaliers): Does he take on added importance and responsibility with LeBon James gone? Or does the absence of LeBron, who opened lanes and gave teammates open looks, mean fewer easy baskets for Mo? Suspect the latter. Williams must create his own chances now, and also feed Anderson Varejao and Antawn Jamison because, for the most part, LeBron was Cleveland's point guard. Now, it's Mo's "team," so to speak.

Elton Brand (Sixers): For the fourth straight year, Brand's scoring average dropped (from 24.7 in 2005-06 to 13.1 last season) along with his rebounding (once double-figures, then 6.1 rebounds a game last season). He blamed the system, which will be changed by new coach Doug Collins, whose priority is making Brand a top-10 power forward again. Maybe Brand was a victim of bad coaching the last few years. Or perhaps Brand, who'll turn 32 this season, is past his prime. With three years left on a roughly $16 million-a-season contract, Brand carries a hefty price as a second or third option.
nba.com (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/08/31/sliding-players/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1)

If you don't agree with this list, who else would you add on to the list or who would you take out of it.

xbrackattackx
09-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I agree with a couple of these like Mo and Carter. But I think Garnett and Amare both have good seasons!

nycericanguy
09-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't agree with Amare, he has averaged over 23ppg for his career in games missed by Nash. with no other clear 20ppg scorers in NY, he should average 23-26ppg.

thekmp211
09-01-2010, 12:52 PM
this list is strange. doesn't take any chances, just lists guys that have already regressed. tp and amare, to me, will not regress one but.

29$JerZ
09-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Amar'e minus Nash is so overblown. It's expected that the type of shots he'll get will differ since Felton is now the PG but its not a drop that would result in a significant decrease.

He isn't like Mikki Moore who is useless without a top PG like Kidd.
He had expanded his offensive game to more than just a P/R.

td0tsfinest
09-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I do have a concern with the list as well. I thought Elton Brand would have a resurgence this year. I'm still iffy on Amare. Nash has provided him with a lot of open opportunities but Amare is still capable of scoring on his own. And with no other legitimate scorer on the team, I don't see why Amare wouldn't be able to duplicate his numbers or even surpass them.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2010, 01:11 PM
this is a soft list. Many of these guys are no brainers. If you are going to write a piece, take some chances

llemon
09-01-2010, 01:16 PM
nba.com (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/08/31/sliding-players/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1)

If you don't agree with this list, who else would you add on to the list or who would you take out of it.

Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Shaq, Duncan

Baller1
09-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I'll take a chance, and say Dirk.

Jays Claw
09-01-2010, 01:18 PM
How has anyone not mentioned Turkoglu or Calderon?

llemon
09-01-2010, 01:20 PM
I'll take a chance, and say Dirk.

I was considering Dirk, but I think he has at least one more great season in him, maybe two.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2010, 01:22 PM
I was considering Dirk, but I think he has at least one more great season in him, maybe two.

pretty much what to expect I think. he is tall and skilled. They tend to decline very slowly. Dirk still has a couple more dominant seasons in him before he starts the slow downhill battle

Hawkeye15
09-01-2010, 01:22 PM
How has anyone not mentioned Turkoglu or Calderon?

they both already stink. Not much to decline from

eugene
09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
KG I believe could be playing on the same All Star level. Celtics just have found another model of winning. They rely on a team play and not on abilities of their superstars... Cannot understand why Carter and Brand are on this list, they have already declined. Especially Carter being a non-factor during this year playoffs.

King Drew
09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
i dont believe mo or amare should be there. they both have a chance to step up and make their own plays and whos to say they cant?

PlezPlayDKnicks
09-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Amare declines but Lee had an amazing season in ny with Duhon. I guess Amare can't do it with Felton.. The list was boring.

PlezPlayDKnicks
09-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Anybody think Joe J or Boozer will relax now that they got their contracts. Same can be said 4 Amare to be fair. The year after the contract curse..

VinceCarter
09-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Pierce, Ray Allen and KG are good ones (good "risk" call too).

VinceCarter
09-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Anybody think Joe J or Boozer will relax now that they got their contracts. Same can be said 4 Amare to be fair. The year after the contract curse..

Amare better not "chill". The Knicks need him to propel them into the playoffs. If Amare "chills" then his punk *** should be traded. Especially since he came out and stupidly decided to say "The Knicks are back"....he put himself in a bad situation by saying that.

llemon
09-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Amare declines but Lee had an amazing season in ny with Duhon. I guess Amare can't do it with Felton.. The list was boring.

Lee and Amare are very different players. Lee is not a player that demands the ball.

SeoulBeatz
09-01-2010, 01:52 PM
yeah pretty dumb list.

I dont think Amare is gonna regress at all, i think he will actually do well in NY's uptempo system, he may not have nash anymore but he has D'antoni's system and a bunch of uptempo players.... he'll be fine.

the rest of the picks are pretty obvious, there was no need for this article lol

llemon
09-01-2010, 01:57 PM
How about Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, Shawn Marion, Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood?

PlezPlayDKnicks
09-01-2010, 01:58 PM
I think Amare will be fine.. Jus askin who'll be the next elton brand. Get the bug bucks and totally fall flat due to whatever reason. Mentioned Amare in my post just to be fair

Da Knicks
09-01-2010, 02:03 PM
very boring list

the real list-Kobe, Garnett, Pierce, Duncan, Kidd, Marion, Dirk, age is against them and nothing can stop that.

Boozer, Manu, Amare -injury proned players who know will take it easy since they have got paid?

llemon
09-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Chauncy Billups, Al Harrington

leoncito
09-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I think it easily possible one of Miami's big three will have a bad year if there chemistry does not work out

Antipod
09-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Aaron Brooks. i don`t think he`ll be able to put smth close to 20/5.5 next year.
Just my forewarning

Jays Claw
09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
They both already stink. Not much to decline from.

Well, Carter and Brand also stink. Why do they get to make the list?

Anyways, this article is pointless. They're pointing out the obvious players that we already know are in decline.

llemon
09-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Aaron Brooks. i don`t think he`ll be able to put smth close to 20/5.5 next year.
Just my forewarning

Just curious. What makes you believe this?

Hawkeye15
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Just curious. What makes you believe this?

well, the only thing I can think of is he thinks with Yao in the game, Brooks will get less touches. Over the course of the season, with a healty Yao and Martin, this may be true. But with Ariza's chucking azz gone, and Brook's propensity to shoot first, ask questions later, I doubt he gives up looks.

llemon
09-01-2010, 03:03 PM
well, the only thing I can think of is he thinks with Yao in the game, Brooks will get less touches. Over the course of the season, with a healty Yao and Martin, this may be true. But with Ariza's chucking azz gone, and Brook's propensity to shoot first, ask questions later, I doubt he gives up looks.

Yeah, my thoughts too. Aaron is a chucker, and he is the guy with the ball in his hands.

GspLAL
09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Odom might improve a bit now that he'll be playing along side some decent bench players

Hawkeye15
09-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah, my thoughts too. Aaron is a chucker, and he is the guy with the ball in his hands.

I love the term "chucker". it reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where they labeled George a chucker. All he does is sit at the three point line and bomb

silvio
09-01-2010, 03:23 PM
" That said, here are 10 players who appear most vulnerable to a slide in 2010-11, and why: ...
-Amar'e Stoudemire
-Vince Carter
-Yao Ming
-Tony Parker
-Baron Davis
-J.R. Smith
-Kevin Garnett
-Lamar Odom
-Mo Williams
-Elton Brand "

What is really strange about this article is not who the analyst picked. He has valid points for all the players on the list. The strange part is that he is not mentioning the 3 punks in Miami.
-Lebron scored as will as he was the only one scoring on that Cleveland team
-Bosh had double-doubles in Toronto cuz he was playing alone
-D.Wade did not have to share the ball too much

Split the ball sharing then points/assists/rebounds between these three and you know that their individual production will go down.
But nba.com is talking business and can't point the obvious about their new "leading" franchise.

Any thoughts

Hawkeye15
09-01-2010, 03:24 PM
we have a thread with this in it, I will go ahead and merge

Bob_at_york
09-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I am surprised only one person on here has mentioned Billups. Also another name that I think should be on this list: Zach Randolph.

kswissdaf
09-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Im telling kobe is over the hill and his stats and games played will take a hit this season

PrettyBoyJ
09-01-2010, 03:50 PM
I dont think Amare has a bad season.. I think he post reg numbers..23 9.. if not more..

Chacarron
09-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I actually think Mo Williams will have a great year.

fresh prince
09-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Im telling kobe is over the hill and his stats and games played will take a hit this season

Please keep posting these thoughts. Tell your friends as well.. Hopefully you have some media contacts you can disseminate your beliefs too.

This will be the next motivating obstacle for Kobe over the next few years now that he has conquered the whole "cant win without Shaq Thing"

As a Laker fan we gotta love this. There's nothing quite like a supremely motivated #24..

Keep it up!

Chacarron
09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I love the term "chucker". it reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where they labeled George a chucker. All he does is sit at the three point line and bomb

:offtopic: :D

xILLN355
09-01-2010, 04:18 PM
i'd have to say kobe. injuries are catching up to him slowly

llemon
09-01-2010, 04:35 PM

"Jimmy's getting angry".

llemon
09-01-2010, 04:38 PM
I actually think Mo Williams will have a great year.

Statwise, I'm sure.

But check out Mo's stats the season before Bucks gave him away for squat to Cavs.

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Lebron, Wade and Bosh are all going to have their worst seasons ever statistically speaking.

Wade>You
09-02-2010, 03:06 AM
Lebron, Wade and Bosh are all going to have their worst seasons ever statistically speaking.and teams are going to have a nightmare guarding the Heat. Goes both ways.

boriquaabe
09-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Lebron, Wade and Bosh are all going to have their worst seasons ever statistically speaking.

You don't know this for sure. Man people have to get over it already. The biggest weapon the Heat have is defensively you can't hide your star player. There are going to be times when they will have Miller,Wade and LBJ on the perimeter and those three are a tough cover. Guys that score a lot don't like having to deal with a guy like Wade or James on defense. It wears them out.

Public Enemy #1
09-02-2010, 03:12 AM
Kobe, he is always injured and pushes himself to the limit. It has to start wearing him out eventually, I think this is the season he slows down.

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-02-2010, 03:16 AM
and teams are going to have a nightmare guarding the Heat. Goes both ways.

You're right. They are going to be very good. I'm just saying those guys are not going to get the stats or have the PER's that they are accustomed to.

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-02-2010, 03:21 AM
You don't know this for sure. Man people have to get over it already. The biggest weapon the Heat have is defensively you can't hide your star player. There are going to be times when they will have Miller,Wade and LBJ on the perimeter and those three are a tough cover. Guys that score a lot don't like having to deal with a guy like Wade or James on defense. It wears them out.

But I do know that. For at least two of them for sure. But I would put my money on all three players having down years. But like I already said, it won't affect their wins and losses

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Kobe, he is always injured and pushes himself to the limit. It has to start wearing him out eventually, I think this is the season he slows down.

I think he is going to have a better year than he did last year. Which is not saying much since he played so poorly. As long as he is semi healthy, he won't decline yet

JPHX
09-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Amare sometimes struggled when opposing collapsed on him. Now with no nash to get him the ball with those angles that made the suns offense so deadly, i can understand the argument.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-02-2010, 07:46 PM
im going to go out on a limb and say rajon rondo.

not because he is going to decline but because the players around him are declining so his numbers will take a hit imo.

Khalifa21
09-02-2010, 07:57 PM
:laugh2: at Amar'e

Avenged
09-02-2010, 08:11 PM
im going to go out on a limb and say rajon rondo.

not because he is going to decline but because the players around him are declining so his numbers will take a hit imo.

Aside from assists, his numbers will only go up if anything.

If he's as good as we all think he is, he should still be able to rack up the assists he does now.

Avenged
09-02-2010, 08:13 PM
:laugh2: at Amar'e

I thought the samething.

As good as Amare is, he should be fine without Nash and being the clear cut #1 option. How he elevates his team is still a mystery, but individually, he should be fine.

kArSoN RyDaH
09-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Aside from assists, his numbers will only go up if anything.

If he's as good as we all think he is, he should still be able to rack up the assists he does now.

yea his shot cant get any worse. i dont think he will have the same assist numbers though for obvious reasons. maybe he'll prove me wrong. but i cant see him getting the same numbers.

Avenged
09-02-2010, 08:27 PM
yea his shot cant get any worse. i dont think he will have the same assist numbers though for obvious reasons. maybe he'll prove me wrong. but i cant see him getting the same numbers.

As Laker fans, I hope you're right. :laugh2:

kArSoN RyDaH
09-02-2010, 09:14 PM
As Laker fans, I hope you're right. :laugh2:

yea me too. lol. always good to think on the positive side (for us laker fans) right? ;)

Agent008
09-03-2010, 02:43 AM
I'm going to say Steve Nash. I know that he keeps himself in great shape, but the guy is 36 and will turn 37 during the season. I think that his production is going to take a hit this year. People make a big deal about Amare missing Nash, but Nash is going to miss Amare too. Warrick is athletic, but he can't finish like Amare.

DisturbedFTW83
09-03-2010, 03:01 AM
Amare's is wrong. D'antoni will get those guys to run fast break or set up iso for Amare all day. Amare's going to go ballistic this year as "the guy" in the big apple in my opinion.

Vince Carter is up there in age, he can still ball but his best years were in NJ.

Yao should retire. His injuries to his feet are re-occuring and seems like it'll never heal.

And....Elton Brand from my Sixers: I'm hoping for MIP of the year. If he can get them 15-9 i'd be saying MIP hahahaha.

don't disagree with the list excluding Amare. To replace him, i'll say, Nash. Adding Hedo and Hakim aren't enough to help Nash get as many assists compared to when Amare was there in my opinion. Still a good squad but they're an aging team with Robin Lopez going to be the centerpiece to build around after the old guys.

ldawg
09-03-2010, 11:18 PM
This list of players is pretty stupid Players stats drops for various reasons. Amare will be fine, Yoa has not played in two years he is injured, Odom role has change over the years in and out the line up depending on Andrew health, Kg was injured and now have Shaq and JO. while he is at it why not add Wade and Lebron. Their stats will drop in certain areas as well. We will not see the best of both players night in an night out. None of them will avg 30ppg like they have in the past. All this dude did was list ageing or injured players:facepalm: except for Amare and he is wrong on him as will. espn fire this dude.

Amare will be fine as long as they play to his style. All nash does is run around the court like a chicken with his head cut off his time has come to join a supper team and accept a smaller role. age 32 is the best time to do that. Wade and Lebron is a bit to early we will miss out seeing the best of them, We will never know how great Lebron could have been. However i do like the teaming up of Bosh and Wade a small and a big is never to early.

llemon
09-03-2010, 11:30 PM
All nash does is run around the court like a chicken with his head cut off his time has come to join a supper team and accept a smaller role. age 32 is the best time to do that.

Difficult to take you seriously after that line.

Spurred1
09-04-2010, 12:09 AM
This list of players is pretty stupid Players stats drops for various reasons. Amare will be fine, Yoa has not played in two years he is injured, Odom role has change over the years in and out the line up depending on Andrew health, Kg was injured and now have Shaq and JO. while he is at it why not add Wade and Lebron. Their stats will drop in certain areas as well. We will not see the best of both players night in an night out. None of them will avg 30ppg like they have in the past. All this dude did was list ageing or injured players:facepalm: except for Amare and he is wrong on him as will. espn fire this dude.

Amare will be fine as long as they play to his style. All nash does is run around the court like a chicken with his head cut off his time has come to join a supper team and accept a smaller role. age 32 is the best time to do that. Wade and Lebron is a bit to early we will miss out seeing the best of them, We will never know how great Lebron could have been. However i do like the teaming up of Bosh and Wade a small and a big is never to early.

That is pretty much the last thing Steve Nash does. Guy seems to know exactly what to do at the right time.
Nash's role this year will probably be slightly reduced because Dragic seems to be developing at a great pace. No need to overplay Nash. Nash's assists might go down because Amare is gone, but he seems to make the most out of his players, regardless.
Why is 32 the magical number?

VinceCarter
09-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Difficult to take you seriously after that line.

:laugh2: x2

Milos--CCCC
09-17-2010, 01:23 PM
How about Al Jefferson?

pdpkong
09-17-2010, 01:57 PM
How about Al Jefferson?

Al Jefferson on the Jazz will definitely improve. Deron Williams is infinitely better than Johnny Flynn. Al will have a career year and go back to around 20ppg 10rpg. I personally think Al is a better option than Boozer.

In regards to Amar'e he is a scoring machine. It doesn't matter who is throwing him the passes. He's a monster and the "injury prone" label is way over used. He had 2 major injuries and minus those 3 seasons he averages 75+ games a year. The knee has pretty much healed, he had surgery 5 years ago and has been able to produce at a extremely high level. The other injury was a freak accdent when he got poked in the eye. I don't think that's "injury prone" at all.

Now in regards to the Superfriends, their stats will definitely decline. I see LBJ and Wade averaging about 25ppg and Bosh dropping to 18ppg. The team will still do well like others have mentioned but statistically joining up will really hurt them. Bosh IMO is the one that will decline the most and should definitely be on this list.

Cool007
09-17-2010, 02:08 PM
If I have to take a chance.

I would guess:

Rip Hamilton
Andrew Bogut (more options & less touches)
Joe Johnson
Chris Kaman (with Griffin back)
Andre Blatch
Andre Miller
Monta Ellis (last year was his Peak)

Just to name few.

Ebbs
09-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Lol when were Smith, Odom, and Mo Will stars lol... Also Brand has declined for awhile!

tbone2171
09-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Since when have JR Smith, Lamar Odom, and Mo Williams been considered stars?

tbone2171
09-17-2010, 02:44 PM
I think he is going to have a better year than he did last year. Which is not saying much since he played so poorly. As long as he is semi healthy, he won't decline yet

I think u need to get off your knees buddy.

tbone2171
09-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Lol when were Smith, Odom, and Mo Will stars lol... Also Brand has declined for awhile!

Woops..should have looked at all the posts before I wrote the same thing