PDA

View Full Version : Are AA playoff AB's better than MLB AB's?

bartron_44
09-01-2010, 07:27 AM
I understand the pitchers innings being limited. But, it is concerning to me that instead of sending players to the majors for a look in September, we are keeping them in AA in order to help NH in the playoffs. I think guys like Mastroianni and Thames should be moving on by now, they have both obliterated AA this year, and there is no reason to slow their development for AA playoffs...Granted, AAA may not be much of a better test than the PCL, but the majors sure are.....

What do you guys think, is this a good thing for them, or should they be called up in September for some MLB/AAA at bats for next year?

StealingSigns
09-01-2010, 08:59 AM
If called up, how many games would these guys conceivably start. 4? 5? We all know how much of a penchant Cito has for beating up on September call-ups with his regulars.

These guys are better off getting playoff experience in AA.

Manatoo
09-01-2010, 09:10 AM
If called up, how many games would these guys conceivably start. 4? 5? We all know how much of a penchant Cito has for beating up on September call-ups with his regulars.

These guys are better off getting playoff experience in AA.

I agree, if someone is going to get called up just to get a few starts its not worth it. However if hes getting the starting job for September i would want to have that prospect get as many MLB AB as he can instead of facing the same AA pitchers again and again.

Asham
09-01-2010, 11:05 AM
AA playoffs might not mean anything to you, but it probably means a lot to the players

Bjaxn45
09-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I had an arguement with someone in another thread about this. Keep them in AA and help them with the playoff run. I think players at any level playing in the playoffs is a positive.

Bjaxn45
09-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I agree, if someone is going to get called up just to get a few starts its not worth it. However if hes getting the starting job for September i would want to have that prospect get as many MLB AB as he can instead of facing the same AA pitchers again and again.

But you know it's only going to be for a few starts, I might feel differently if Cito was not the manager. Travis Snider doesn't get everyday starts so there's no reason to believe a rookie would either.

mkcavy
09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
It my opinion it depends on where the player is his development. The playoffs are a good experience to teach a kid situational hitting, base-running skills and refine defensive skills at a higher level than the regular season, without being in the spotlight of the MLB.

If the team thinks a kid has learned as much as can in those areas, then call him up, give him major league experience.

But right now, in the Jays situation, call-ups don't really make sense. The only open spot they have right now is 3B, and Cito is the kind of guy that loves to give a vet like MacDonald as much time there as he can. Calling a guy up for 25 ABs doesn't give him enough experience.

BlueJayFanDan
09-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Some of the guys in AA are not ready for major league at bats.

broncosfan_101
09-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Some of the guys in AA are not ready for major league at bats.

I'd say Thames is the only one that IS ready, but probably not even on a full time basis. But this is all practically moot, cause we can still give them a decent amount of AB's with the big club if we want to. If they get knocked out first round, they can join us in Baltimore on the 13th. If they get to the finals, they can come to Toronto in time for the series with Seattle starting on the 21st. That would still give them 30-50 AB's if we wanted. Obviously getting them close to 100 by playing with us all September would give us a better idea of where they're at in comparison with other big leaguers right now, but there's still value in getting playoff AB's. And we don't want to screw over the FisherCats, they're the best farm team organization we've got.

wamco
09-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm not even sure why minor leagues have playoffs

Dol-Fan
09-01-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm not even sure why minor leagues have playoffs

Same reason that little leagues have playoffs...gotta play for something right? Say you were a career minor leaguer with really no chance of making the bigs, how fun would it be to play a long season and then have nothing to look forward to at the end?

that said, I'd rather these guys be in the AA playoffs. No reason to have them come up and sit behind the vets, because you know Cito won't give them ABs.

wamco
09-02-2010, 08:02 AM
but little leagues don't lose most of their best players right before the playoffs. The year end results (AA/AAA winner) is hardly representative of anything.

StealingSigns
09-07-2010, 03:48 AM
If AA playoffs mean so little, why are the Yankees sending Andy Pettitte to "rehab" for Trenton against the Fisher Cats?

They do matter.

StealingSigns
09-07-2010, 04:32 AM
Hmmmm.......

It’s official, Andy Pettitte, he of the 18 career playoff victories, will make the Game 2 start against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats Thursday night at Waterfront Park.

The left-hander was originally scheduled to pitch in tomorrow’s Game 1, but was moved up a night to keep him on normal rest.

He’ll throw four innings or 65 pitches, according to Yankees manager Joe Girardi. The last hurdle for Pettitte to clear was an early bullpen session yesterday morning, which he passed with flying colors. He threw 20 pitches and reported no pain.

For Thunder fans, seeing Pettitte on the hill will be the thrill of a lifetime. For the players, however, it could mean the difference between a series win or an early exit.

Pettitte will likely oppose right-hander Zach Stewart, one of New Hampshire’s two aces who have befuddled the Thunder offense all season long.

Although he’s only come away with one win, Stewart has worked to a 3.29 ERA against Trenton in five games, and has held the team to just one longball, which came off the bat of the since-promoted Brandon Laird.

Adam Warren, the tentatively scheduled starter for Thursday night, will more than likely be pushed to Friday’s Game 3, which will be played at New Hampshire’s Merchantsauto.com Stadium.

Pettitte’s appearance marks the third player to rehab with the Thunder during the playoffs. Former Yankees outfielder Hideki Matsui showed up in 2006, and reliever Tom Gordon did the same in 1999.

The Thunder lost both of those sets.

Neither of those players, however, had a postseason resume of anything close to Pettitte’s caliber.

In his career, the “Core Four” member has dominated in the playoffs. He’s gone 18-9 overall, including clinching victories in the ALDS, the ALCS and the World Series last season.

As for the opposition, it doesn’t sound as if the Fisher Cats are exactly shaking in their boots about stepping into the box against him.

“He’s a Hall of Famer in my book. If we get to face him in the playoffs, it would be fun,” All-Star center fielder Darin Mastroianni told the Manchester Union-Leader, “but we’re going to play to win. He’s not going to be the deciding factor.”

This is ridiculous.

statquo
09-07-2010, 05:08 AM
Just as you have to learn to hit, throw and run, you have to learn how to win.

2009mvp
09-07-2010, 05:11 AM
That's gotta be pretty cool for stewart, going up against one of the best lefties of this era. Not sure why you think its ridiculous though, he needs a rehab start and the eastern league is as good as any place for one.

StealingSigns
09-07-2010, 08:01 AM
That's gotta be pretty cool for stewart, going up against one of the best lefties of this era. Not sure why you think its ridiculous though, he needs a rehab start and the eastern league is as good as any place for one.

Sure he needs a rehab start. He doesn't need to interrupt a AA playoff series to get one. (and I'm not blaming this on Pettitte, this is on the Yankees obviously).

icehawkmike
09-07-2010, 08:35 AM
You think the Jays wouldn't do it if they had the chance?

Winning is winning at any level and any club in the Yankees position would do the same.

BlueJays_29
09-07-2010, 12:28 PM
The Jays owe it to their affiliates to let them keep their players for the playoffs. It looks bad on them if the Fisher Cats made the playoffs and the Jays called their best players up for September.

Those players worked hard all year as a team, keep them together as a team for the playoffs.

nithanyo
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
but little leagues don't lose most of their best players right before the playoffs. The year end results (AA/AAA winner) is hardly representative of anything.

These double A teams are playing for towns too. They have a fanbase and they have a stadium which brings in revenue. So having a season and playoffs makes sense for them.

scaramantula
09-07-2010, 04:25 PM
they worked hard all year to get to this point. calling them up now for like 20 ab's would be pretty demoralizing to them when all there team mates are in the playoffs and there games r meaningless

StealingSigns
09-08-2010, 05:10 PM
A bit off-topic, but the Fisher Cat's opponent has a familiar face amongst its coaching staff:

http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/gordon/index.ssf/2010/09/gordon_frankies_always_frank.html

wamco
09-09-2010, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=BlueJays_29;14812917]The Jays owe it to their affiliates to let them keep their players for the playoffs. It looks bad on them if the Fisher Cats made the playoffs and the Jays called their best players up for September.

No it doesn't

wamco
09-09-2010, 05:23 PM
These double A teams are playing for towns too. They have a fanbase and they have a stadium which brings in revenue. So having a season and playoffs makes sense for them.

Spare me. I live in the Buffalo area that routinely is praised for their AAA attendance. You go a good 10 years between anyone even mentioning that there is a AAA team in town.

FlakeyFool
09-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Yet I live in an area that everyone knows who our northern league team is.

wamco
09-09-2010, 07:03 PM
that is canada