PDA

View Full Version : Which teams in the NBA have a realistic chance at winning the finals?

kArSoN RyDaH
09-01-2010, 03:19 AM
Barring all health issues that come along with the NBA season which NBA teams, today, have the pieces it takes to win an NBA championship and why?

dan917
09-01-2010, 03:34 AM
I love the NBA but one of the things I hate is only 5-6 teams have a legitimate shot to win the title every year. Football, Baseball and Hockey are always wide open when the playoffs start. But anyway..

Lakers are the favorites for obvious reasons and my pick to win it all again.

Heat are the favorites out of the East, again for obvious reasons.

Celtics will most likely play the Heat in the Eastern Finals even though "The Big 3" are getting up there in age. Shaq will be a good addition if they use him right and don't play him more than 12-15 mins per game to give Perkins rest.

Bulls have the chance to upset the Celts, but I just don't see it yet, and Unless Dwight Howard learns some post moves, the Magic are a 2nd round exit also.

So out East, the only contenders are the Heat and Celtics.

Out West, other than the Lakers, the only teams I see being a threat are the Jazz and Thunder, with an outside chance for the Rockets if Yao stays healthy. Mavs are a great regular season team, but always seem to fold in the playoffs, and Nuggets are more than likely going to deal Melo, so I'm not giving them much of a chance either. Suns are pretty much dead with Amare gone, the Hedo trade was a desperation move IMO, and the Spurs are getting too old.

Lakers over Heat in the Finals.

Antipod
09-01-2010, 03:40 AM
Lakers/Celtics/Heat + the usual 1 team surprise (???)

_Supreme_
09-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Lakers, HEAT, Celtics.

abe_froman
09-01-2010, 03:46 AM
remember boston was a 4th seed last year and almost won it(this with everyone writing them off as too old/dead/needing to rebuild, for most of the regular season).and most gave up on the suns chances last year because they were a lotto team the year before,as well nobody believed in the magic's chances in 09 until the efc's.
..as well the nuggets were preseason favs to challenge the lakers last year and the cavs were the 2nd biggest title favs(for the 2nd straight year),neither got to cf's

.....just something to think about

so i'll say any top 4 seed from each conference have a somewhat realistic shot(varying degrees of course)

knicksfan23
09-01-2010, 04:27 AM
lakers,heat,celtics,magic,thunder,bulls

stejay
09-01-2010, 07:41 AM
West

Lakers
Mavs
Spurs
Thunder
Maybe Jazz
If Melo stays, Nuggets

East

Bulls
Celtics
Heat
Hawks

stejay
09-01-2010, 07:42 AM

I think the Conference games will be surprising...

Thunder-Lakers in the West
Bulls-Heat in the East

Lakers-Heat Finals with Lakers taking it in 7.

Jarvo
09-01-2010, 08:29 AM
East - Heat, Celts, & Maybe Magic

West - Lakers, Suns (nash can make anyone a star) & Spurs

SouljahPhil...
09-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Lakers.,heat and C's...

I am pretty damm sure the champs will come from those 3 teams...

lakers4sho
09-01-2010, 09:13 AM

This.

Cap'nCrunch40
09-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Lakers.,heat and C's...

I am pretty damm sure the champs will come from those 3 teams...

This. I really can't see the Thunder, Magic, or Bulls taking it next year.
It's got to be the Lakers, Heat, or Celtics.

asandhu23
09-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Golden State Warriors. We got Andris Biedrins-David Lee- Reggie Williams-Monta Ellis-Stephen Curry as starters with Ekpe Udoh, Brandan Wright, Dorell Wright, Jeremy Lin, Charlie Bell, Dan Gadzuric and Vladimir Radmanovich coming off the bench. If all goes well, we will make a run in the playoffs

BOSTON617
09-01-2010, 10:16 AM
lakers, thunder, heat, celtics

Gators123
09-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Lakers
Heat
Celtics
Magic

jp611
09-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Golden State Warriors. We got Andris Biedrins-David Lee- Reggie Williams-Monta Ellis-Stephen Curry as starters with Ekpe Udoh, Brandan Wright, Dorell Wright, Jeremy Lin, Charlie Bell, Dan Gadzuric and Vladimir Radmanovich coming off the bench. If all goes well, we will make a run in the playoffs

thats a good joke

llemon
09-01-2010, 11:56 AM
I'll state again, and I certainly could be wrong, but I don't think Celts get passed the 2nd rd this season.

asandhu23
09-01-2010, 12:01 PM
thats a good joke

I am being a homer just to see what it feels like. :rolleyes: *cough cough* Chicago fans *cough*

IrespectNumber3
09-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Lakers
Heat

Celtics

Magic

Hell Dallas

Everybody Else is Here

MTLGW
09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
i think celtics will have to kind of struggle to stay healthy during the regular season and not worry bout gettin the no. 1 or 2 seed in the east. then they should go on a barrage and take out the heats during the eastern finals, if they manage to stay healthy.
u got davis, jermaine, perkins, shaq, and garnett as their big men.....very well experienced frontline if u ask me. dont forget about rondo either......he can create mismatches and take out the shorter chandler and arroyo just like he took out shorter players like jameer nelson and mo williams during the last playoffs. im not sayin on a definite level that celtics could take out miami but they do hav a chance.

obviously lakers r goin to come out of the west and take miami or the celtics. i think lakers hav a chance to win it all if they got home court advantage......if they don't, they got to tighten up their defense......im a laker fan but i hav to admit that the laker defense is soft and if they dont hav home court they better tighten up their defense.

thescore53
09-01-2010, 03:15 PM
West

Lakers
Mavs
Spurs
Thunder
Maybe Jazz
If Melo stays, Nuggets

East

Bulls
Celtics
Heat
Hawks

que ?

Baller1
09-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Lakers, Thunder, Heat, Celtics, and Magic.

Chacarron
09-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Lakers, Celtics, Heat.

DWills
09-01-2010, 03:53 PM
the Heat

think the reasons are obv

mikantsass
09-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Celtics, Lakers, Magic, Heat, Spurs all have a realistic chance.

Mavericks are boarderline in that group.

greek miami hea
09-01-2010, 04:00 PM
heat,lakers,thunder,celtics,magic

97NYer
09-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I would say:

1.Heat
2.Lakers

Magic/Celtics/Bulls all have a shot if they miraculously beat the Heat.

Mavs/Thunder/Spurs/Blazers could all win if they get past the Lakers and end up facing a team not called the Heat.

Timberwolves are the favorites if they sign Mike James.

REALLYYYYY?
09-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Lakers
Heat

Celtics

Magic

Hell Dallas

Everybody Else is Here

lol

REALLYYYYY?
09-01-2010, 04:40 PM
keith bogans' bulls

Jewelz0376
09-01-2010, 04:51 PM
lakers, heat, celtics thats it

There is still time left in the off season though so Melo or Crawford could be traded...If Melo went to Chi or Orl I would put them up there with la, mia, and bos...

I can't believe some people in here actually think the Thunder could win the title next yr..they lost in the 1st round last year... Teams don't make a jump from the 1st round to an nba title...The only all star they have is Durant...sure Wesrbrook is nice, but he's no all star...

dan917
09-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I can't believe some people in here actually think the Thunder could win the title next yr..they lost in the 1st round last year... Teams don't make a jump from the 1st round to an nba title...The only all star they have is Durant...sure Wesrbrook is nice, but he's no all star...

That Thunder team was a Pau Gasol putback miss away from taking the champs to a Game 7.

rocketsfan18
09-01-2010, 09:30 PM
West

Lakers
Mavs
Spurs
Thunder
Maybe Jazz
If Melo stays, Nuggets

East

Bulls
Celtics
Heat
Hawks

In the West you forgot the Houston Rockets:facepalm:

Hustlenomics
09-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Celtics,heat, or lakers

Sox72
09-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Bulls, Celtics, Magic, Lakers (obvious favorites), Blazers, Spurs

YankeesNets11
09-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Lakers
Heat
Celtics

DWills
09-01-2010, 10:59 PM
lol @ any list that leaves the heat off

Supreme LA
09-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Laker, Celtics, and the Heat.

Those 3 are the best of the best.

gbpackers12
09-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Laker, Celtics, and the Heat.

Those 3 are the best of the best.

Pretty much agree with this. I also think the Magic, Thunder, Mavericks, and Bulls have a shot, but anything other then the Lakers vs. Celtics/Heat would be a bit of a surprise to me.

Sadds The Gr8
09-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Lakers, Heat, Mavs (being real generous here), Celtics.

MTLGW
09-02-2010, 12:09 AM
That Thunder team was a Pau Gasol putback miss away from taking the champs to a Game 7.

yea that thunder team still got ways to go like 1 or 2 more seasons.....if thunder becomes a superior team in the west, then we can honestly say that the west is finally at a decline

Jewelz0376
09-02-2010, 12:27 AM

Yea and they would've lost in LA like they did the other 3 times...

dan917
09-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Yea and they would've lost in LA like they did the other 3 times...

You know that they say. Anything can happen in a Game 7.

NUGGS fan fm OR
09-02-2010, 12:39 AM

Yea the Nuggets were just a couple inbound passes beating the champs in the WESTERN CONFRECE FINALS and now people talkin about nuggets wont be a contender and thunder will. the Nuggets added Al Harrington and he can play defence too he was on crapy teams that didnt make you play defence hes going to suprise people. I dnt knw how a 8th seed team and move up to a 2 seed and be a contender.

teams

WEST
LA
DEN
MAVS/BLZRs
BLZRs/MAVS

EAST
Magic
Heat
Celtics
Bulls

dan917
09-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Yea the Nuggets were just a couple inbound passes beating the champs in the WESTERN CONFRECE FINALS and now people talkin about nuggets wont be a contender and thunder will. the Nuggets added Al Harrington and he can play defence too he was on crapy teams that didnt make you play defence hes going to suprise people. I dnt knw how a 8th seed team and move up to a 2 seed and be a contender.

teams

WEST
LA
DEN
MAVS/BLZRs
BLZRs/MAVS

EAST
Magic
Heat
Celtics
Bulls

Nuggets are a contender IF they keep Melo. But it doesn't look like that's happening.

DeShaun Brown
09-02-2010, 12:47 AM

teams

WEST
LA
DEN
MAVS/BLZRs
BLZRs/MAVS

EAST
Magic
Heat
Celtics
Bulls

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5468878

Lakers, Heat (favorites) Celtics, Magic, Thunder, Mavs (sleepers). We'll have a better idea if/when Melo is dealt (depending on where he's dealt).

Baller1
09-02-2010, 12:58 AM
lakers, heat, celtics thats it

There is still time left in the off season though so Melo or Crawford could be traded...If Melo went to Chi or Orl I would put them up there with la, mia, and bos...

Why's that such an outrage to you?

NUGGS fan fm OR
09-02-2010, 01:13 AM
he really didnt say that he wanted to be traded thats the media that put stuff out there. nuggets didnt say they were going to trade him either thats the media saying.

Jewelz0376
09-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Why's that such an outrage to you?

Outrage its not, but I can't see how anyone can be real and say Thunder can win a title next year.. The whole..."they almost took lakers to game 7" argument isn't a very good reason to think they will make a jump from that to winning a title...

Baller1
09-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Outrage its not, but I can't see how anyone can be real and say Thunder can win a title next year.. The whole..."they almost took lakers to game 7" argument isn't a very good reason to think they will make a jump from that to winning a title...

I'm not saying they're going to win it this year, but there's no reason to think that they can't. Both Durant and Westbrook have improved from season to season so far in their careers, so there's no reason to think they won't continue that process. Harden is no longer a rookie, so it's safe to assume he will improve. And then there's Ibaka, who everyone go a small sample of in the Lakers series, and to me is the x-factor on this team. If he can step up and consistently play like he did in that series, then I see no reason that this team can't make a serious run.

As for the new additions, Aldrich and Cook are going to provide the two things this team severely lacked, a strong low post presence and a three point threat that can knock down the open jumper. I'm tired, so I'll leave it at that.

shep33
09-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Lakers, Celtics, Heat obviously the 3 favorites... Orlando if Lewis and Carter step up and don't have to run into the Celtics.

_KB24_
09-02-2010, 02:09 AM
There is around a group of 8 teams that believe they have a shot at the title, but the only REALISTIC chance lay in the hands of Boston, LA, Miami, and Orlando. The other so-called contenders would need a fairytale like playoff run or for the above teams to falter with serious injuries.

dan917
09-02-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm not saying they're going to win it this year, but there's no reason to think that they can't. Both Durant and Westbrook have improved from season to season so far in their careers, so there's no reason to think they won't continue that process. Harden is no longer a rookie, so it's safe to assume he will improve. And then there's Ibaka, who everyone go a small sample of in the Lakers series, and to me is the x-factor on this team. If he can step up and consistently play like he did in that series, then I see no reason that this team can't make a serious run.

As for the new additions, Aldrich and Cook are going to provide the two things this team severely lacked, a strong low post presence and a three point threat that can knock down the open jumper. I'm tired, so I'll leave it at that.

Jeff Green is the X-factor to me. If he can step up and take over the "Pippen" role to Durant's Jordan, the Thunder are a serious threat to the Lakers.

Jewelz0376
09-02-2010, 02:34 AM

Like I said before teams don't go from 1st round elimination to title winners (unless they sign a big time free agent)... not to mention look at every team thats won and they all had an all-pro big...the only team that didnt were the Bulls... If you want to win a title in the Nba you better have a big and the Thunder don't have any, at least not any of the caliber it takes to win...

No disrespect to Thunder they are a great young team..Will they improve and finish with a higher seed and make it to maybe the 2nd or 3rd round...most likely they will...but i think they're still 2 or 3 years away from being title contenders..

bigsams50
09-02-2010, 03:46 AM
LA, Boston, Miami, Orlando, and SA ( I think they mesh better this year and surprise alot of people )