PDA

View Full Version : What about the Spurs?

Wade>You
09-01-2010, 02:54 AM
The most un-talked about contender this offseason.

Does anyone think they're a threat to win the title?

Should they look to rebuild if they don't at least reach the WCF next season?

Will Tiago Splitter be the impact player they need in order to contend?

JPHX
09-01-2010, 04:29 AM
Never count out the Spurs. Always count out the Suns.

xILLN355
09-01-2010, 04:56 AM
splitter looked good against usa

Antipod
09-01-2010, 06:24 AM
With Timmy getting older, their chances drop drastically.

Joshtd1
09-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Adding Splitter helps big time, because it gives us a big who can defend the pick and roll, and will take some of the burden off TD. Blair/Hill getting better, and RJ getting better in his 2nd season will be also be crucial if we want to contend..and of course being healthy.

Jarvo
09-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Spurs is my fav team, & ihope we get younger but that would mean trading away tony parker for a younger better player which ihope they dnt do. But they have a shot they put it on another level in the playoffs.

lakers4sho
09-01-2010, 09:07 AM
If the players can adjust better to a more "offensive" type of system that Pop was running last year then I can see them making it at least to the 2nd round, even WCF.

And their PGs (TP and Hill) have to play better. Nash and Dragic demolished them.

SouljahPhil...
09-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Spurs is my fav team, & ihope we get younger but that would mean trading away tony parker for a younger better player which ihope they dnt do. But they have a shot they put it on another level in the playoffs.

they need to trade tp...I think he will leave for Ny or any other team after this season...

Hawkeye15
09-01-2010, 09:17 AM
The Spurs are typically overlooked. They will again contend if healthy, and Splitter is a huge addition for depth and defense on the pick and roll. If the Spurs stay healthy, they are always a threat

pebloemer
09-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Definitely a contender IMO.

Always about health with them, but Duncan was still very very good last season.

Bringing in Splitter gives them a very solid front court to compete against the Laker's (biggest hurdle for them) front court. Parker and Hill is a strong PG tandem still. Ginobili is still Ginobili. Jefferson needs to be much better this year though. Anderson was a solid draft choice for them too.

Big Rotation of Duncan, Blair, Splitter, McDyess, Bonner
Jefferson at SF
Ginobili and Anderson at SG
Parker, Hill at PG.

Maybe they could use some more depth at SF, but beyond that, they are still very solid.

jasondrobinson
09-01-2010, 10:10 AM
really solid 8-9 man rotation, should be around 5 seed in the west and then turn it on in playoffs (barring injury)

mikantsass
09-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Contender. What killed the Spurs this year was Parker's injuries. If healthy next year, Parker Duncan and Manu have enough left to contend come playoff time. In many ways the Spurs remind me of the Celtics.

Hangtime
09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
With that core group they have anything is possible. They just need a little more contribution from the bench.

td0tsfinest
09-01-2010, 10:46 AM
We just had a thread about the Spurs, similar to this. As long as they're healthy, Spurs are always a threat. A well experienced team with one of the best basketball minds. Tiago Splitter was a great pick up for them. The key for the spurs this season is to stay healthy and get Jefferson more involved.

sep11ie
09-01-2010, 11:22 AM

Hellcrooner Jr.!!!!

todu82
09-01-2010, 11:27 AM
No, I can see them making the playoffs but they'll probably be out in Round 1.

xbrackattackx
09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I think Duncan will have another great year, He isn't really athletic so his game isn't taking a dip production wise. If Parker leaves this summer and Duncan another year older i Don't see how Pop wouldn't try to rebuild at least some.

IrespectNumber3
09-01-2010, 12:10 PM
It depends on Hill and Blair...And if Tony Parker and Ginobli can have better seasons then they have had last year. Also Jefferson needs to step up.

They can definitely make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs but they need to play teams they matchup better against.

Now that Amare and Boozer have left the west it may give Duncan a better crack at it.

Wade>You
09-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Does anyone think they're capable of pulling off a resurgence a la 2010 Celtics? I doubt they have the depth the Cs did, but their 5 best players are all capable.

Joshtd1
09-01-2010, 04:35 PM
As long as our bench can do enough to not give up leads or keep the game close, whatever it may be, our starters are good enough to win ball games.